PDA

View Full Version : SLAM: Top 50: Tim Duncan, no. 6

duncan228
10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Top 50: Tim Duncan, no. 6 (http://www.slamonline.com/online/blogs/3-for-all-by-russ-bengtson/2009/10/top-50-tim-duncan-no-6/)
The definitive ranking of the NBA’s best players.
by Russ Bengtson

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/slam6.jpg

The best book ever written on the nuts and bolts of writing was originally published in 1919. Called “The Elements of Style (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style),” it focused primarily on usage and composition. It was 43 pages long. Later revised by New Yorker writer E.B. White, who added an introduction and final chapter, it expanded to 71 pages. But the key piece of advice—one that appeared in the original version and remained unchanged through all the revisions and editions—was a single, short sentence: “Omit needless words.” That’s all. Follow no other directive but that one, and you will become a better writer.

At this point you’re probably asking what a slim, 90-year-old book on writing has to do with Tim Duncan. The answer is everything. Basketball, much like writing, is only as complicated as you make it. The basic rules of both are simple. In writing, it’s ‘tell the story.’ In basketball, it’s ’score more points than the other team.’ Duncan has understood this since he entered the League, if not since he entered the world.

As a rookie, Duncan averaged 21.1 points and 11.9 rebounds on 55 percent shooting. Last season, he averaged 19.3 points and 10.7 rebounds on 50.4 percent shooting. His career averages are 21.4, 11.7, 50.7 percent. If he’s on any sort of decline, it’s the most gradual of slopes. At 33 years old, Duncan is pretty much the player he’s always been. And if he’s relatively unaffected by age, it’s only because he was similarly unaffected by youth. It’s not like he’s had to figure out how to play when his athleticism started to decline. He never used it even when he had it. Assuming Timmy ever had it in the first place.

In both writing and basketball, it’s easy to get carried away. To mistake complexity and creativity for real accomplishment. All the adjectives and adverbs and flourishes in the world don’t mean a thing if you fail to tell the story. And a killer crossover or an otherworldly vertical doesn’t matter much if you can’t shoot or play defense. Tim Duncan has made it abundantly clear that he wants to tell the story. With four championships and counting, he’s told it very well indeed.

Notes

• Rankings are based solely on projected ‘09-10 performance.

• Want more of the SLAMonline Top 50? Check out the archive (http://www.slamonline.com/online/category/nba/slamonline-top-50/).

Allanon
10-19-2009, 01:52 PM
If Duncan is #6, that leaves:

Dwight
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
DWade

What do you all think of those 5 guys ahead of Duncan?

Mel_13
10-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Only Kobe, Lebron, Paul, Wade, and Howard ahead of Tim on this list.

Quite impressive that at 33 years old and entering his 13th season, Tim is still expected to be a dominant force in the NBA.

Stay healthy Timmy!

Mel_13
10-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Dwight
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
DWade

The list is based on their predicted performance in 2009-10. With the concerns about Tim's health, 6th is about as high as you can go in a preseason prediction.

Spursmania
10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I really wonder how Timmy's knees will hold up this season. It's no secret that we're all hoping Mr. Fundamental can help lead this team to another Championship. But the weight of his knees and health lie heavily on our backs...

bdictjames
10-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Is Duncan the oldest person in the top 10? Pretty impressive.

Mel_13
10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Is Duncan the oldest person in the top 10? Pretty impressive.

He will be the oldest in the top 21. Nash is number 22 on the list.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/category/nba/slamonline-top-50/

bdictjames
10-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow. A very styleful post indeed, well fitting of a Tim Duncan. Good job for SLAM. :]

z0sa
10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
You can put that in your pipe and smoke it 2k10.

i wished they put the framerate issues in their pipe and smokem away

narmerguy
10-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Dwight
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
DWade

I think that's fair. I think the order will probably go

Kobe
Lebron
Dwight
DWade
CP3

Though I don't necessarily agree with it. CP3 is too high up on the list imo.

TIMMYD!
10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Only Kobe, Lebron, Paul, Wade, and Howard ahead of Tim on this list.

Quite impressive that at 33 years old and entering his 13th season, Tim is still expected to be a dominant force in the NBA.

Stay healthy Timmy!

It is impressive that Timmy at 33 is still better than 99% of the league.

Allanon
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
I think that's fair. I think the order will probably go

Kobe
Lebron
Dwight
DWade
CP3

Though I don't necessarily agree with it. CP3 is too high up on the list imo.

I think it's going to go:
1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. DWade
4. CP3
5. Dwight

I would personally rank Duncan above CP3 and Dwight...even at 33.

Manufan909
10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Which is sad. But then, getting compared to one of the greatest players to play the game ever is unfair in the first place.

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2009, 07:32 PM
i have duncan in top5...

wade is questionable since his injury prone

hater
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
LOL at HOward Wade and Paul being ahead of Duncan

jag
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. DWade
4. CP3
5. Dwight

As a fan of an opposing team, i would rather see LeBron than Kobe with the ball in his hands for a last possession chance to score. Bron can score in more ways, but Kobe has been doing it longer and has been doing it better than Bron ever has. That being said, i think Bron has surpassed Kobe in overall game. It's a tough call, though.

Ditto on the Duncan above CP3 and Dwight Howard with his one-dimensional game.

Danny.Zhu
10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. DWade
4. CP3
5. Dwight

Totally agreed.

SouthTexasRancher
10-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Dwight
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
DWade

Only Kobe is up there with Duncan. The others haven't done squat outside of DWade winning in 2006. I'll take Championships over personal stats any day of the week. Kobe could lead the league in scoring every year and Tim could lead the league in rebounds if they wanted but, both want the ring more than stat leadership.

Riverwalkman
10-19-2009, 09:58 PM
LOL at HOward Wade and Paul being ahead of Duncan
I can't stand CP3, for every time there is a standing, he is on top5.

IMO Derrick Rose looks a bit better, he is totally overrated.

Riverwalkman
10-19-2009, 10:01 PM
my list:
1.Duncan
2.Kobe
3.LBJ
4.D Howard
5.D Wade

greyforest
10-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Dwight
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
DWade

yea sounds right, but tim's the only PF of all six

Mel_13
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Dwight is number 5:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamonline-top-50/2009/10/top-50-dwight-howard-no-5/

TIMMYD!
10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
As a fan of an opposing team, i would rather see LeBron than Kobe with the ball in his hands for a last possession chance to score. Bron can score in more ways, but Kobe has been doing it longer and has been doing it better than Bron ever has. That being said, i think Bron has surpassed Kobe in overall game. It's a tough call, though.

Ditto on the Duncan above CP3 and Dwight Howard with his one-dimensional game.

You mean his dunks.

Galileo
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Dwight
LeBron
Kobe
CP3
DWade

maybe Lebron, but that's it.

Howard can't shoot, pass, or dribble.

The other three are guards.

Manufan909
10-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Dwight is number 5:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamonline-top-50/2009/10/top-50-dwight-howard-no-5/

That is possibly the most random dream I've ever read about. Funny ass shit though, I wish I could see DRob's reaction to reading or hearing about this.:lol

Rummpd
10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
The truth is it is bs there are not 5 NBA players that impact winning as much as Duncan in fact historically there is no one in the nba who has won at a higher rate with diverse squads. Picking any team right now for this year still give me a healthy TD over anyone!