PDA

View Full Version : NYT: U.S. Savings Bind

Winehole23
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
U.S. Savings Bind (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/magazine/18FOB-wwln-t.html?ref=todayspaper)

By ROGER LOWENSTEIN

Published: October 14, 2009

In his Labor Day (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/l/labor_day/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) weekend address on the American worker, President Obama (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/o/barack_obama/index.html?inline=nyt-per), with little fanfare, announced some initiatives to help Americans save more money. One such step will allow employees to receive their tax refunds in the form of U.S. Savings Bonds (http://topics.nytimes.com/your-money/investments/stocks-and-bonds/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) instead of in cash. Another will promote automatic enrollment in retirement funds for workers at medium and small firms so that employees will have to opt out of saving, rather than opt in. Studies show that this results in more saving.

[/URL] http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/10/18/magazine/18wwln.1-190.jpg Andrea Manzati

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/10/18/magazine/18wwln.2-190.jpg Source: Moody’s Economy.com, 2009.

All these steps should add to the national savings rate. It is a goal Obama campaigned on — and one that policy wonks and pundits have been screaming about for years. The United States is staring at frightening retirement deficits, infrastructure needs and health care liabilities. How else to meet them but to start saving and stop borrowing money?
Here’s the funny part. The American consumer kicked the borrowing habit more than a year ago. The country, you may have noticed, is in an economic crisis, and most economists say the only way out is for consumers to start spending money. Spending is the opposite of saving.
Since consumer spending accounts for 71 percent of the gross domestic product, an enduring rise in personal saving would make for a weaker recovery, with fewer jobs. One main purpose of the $787 billion government stimulus was to provide a buffer until private spending revived.

Usually, saving recedes when recessions end. Some economists think the current financial crisis was such a shock — on a par, psychologically, with [URL="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/g/great_depression_1930s/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier"]the Great Depression (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/magazine/18FOB-wwln-t.html?ref=todayspaper#secondParagraph) — that people will feel the need to save even after it is over. If their predictions are right, the United States would need to enact a stimulus every year to get the economy back to where it was. That is why the federal government enacted the cash-for-clunkers program; it wants people who have been accumulating savings to buy automobiles.
The government’s mixed message may sound grossly inconsistent, but it isn’t. Economists often give different answers for the short term and the long term. What is unusual is that the financial crisis has brought these divergent agendas into such sharp relief.

The prescription that we should save more isn’t wrong. Household saving is the total of what people earn less what they spend. If you want to describe the history of the U.S. economy over the last 50 years, in shorthand, you could do worse than this: Americans saved. Then they didn’t.

For the 35 years after World War II, Americans dutifully set aside about 9 percent of their income. Their savings were plowed into stocks and bonds and formed a pool of capital for investments and new technologies (and a couple of wars, not to mention the space program). They begat a golden era of productivity and growth and, eventually, the 1990s boom. But by then, habits were changing. Starting in the mid-1980s, the personal-savings rate declined. Credit became more available, and people became used to borrowing what they needed. (The commonplace phrase “saving up” — as in “I’m saving up for a washing machine” — all but disappeared.) Also, bubbles in stocks and real estate convinced people they didn’t need to save much for the future, since even a small nest egg would grow into a big one. By the late 2000s, the savings rate plunged to less than 1 percent.

There is no denying that the spending binge of recent years was wacky. Economics used to teach that people made rational calculations about what to save (and to spend). That was part of the free-market gospel. It has become rather obvious that psychology and emotions also play a part in such decisions. The administration has embraced the profession’s revisionism. Endorsing automatic-enrollment savings plans is another way of saying, “We know you won’t save as much as you should on your own.” The credit binge basically proved that, rational or not, people will prefer to remain poor (i.e., to spend) as long as someone will lend them money.
That ended with the financial crisis. As households scrambled to repair their finances, the savings rate shot up to 6 percent. Recently, it has hovered around 4 percent, but many economists predict a return to the high single digits. Credit is less available. Americans owned about 425 million bank credit cards in 2008; that number has plunged to 344 million. Regulators tightened the rules on mortgages; banks are also more cautious. That won’t last forever, but if capital requirements are strengthened, as is expected, banks will not be able to repeat so casually the sins of yore.

And for now, spending psychology is working in reverse. The total wealth of households fell, peak to trough, from $64 trillion to $51 trillion — the steepest decline in postwar history. No one is counting on rising home values to provide for retirement. People are not only poorer, they feel poorer. The wealthy expect to be socked with higher taxes to pay down deficits; middle-class Americans fear for their jobs. Neither group is in a mood to spend.

If you ask economists which is more desirable — saving or spending — they tend to stammer. Understandably, it depends on the context. We wouldn’t want to return to the consumer-mad economy of the 2000s, because it was unsustainable. Maybe a consumer economy is not where we should be headed at all. In the future, exports (selling products to other countries) will be more important; so will investments. But neither of these sectors can take up the slack right now. In the short run, to the extent that people don’t spend, the government will.

“After so much lamentation about low saving, it may be a bit hard for the public to stomach economists’ new worries about a drop in spending,” Christopher Carroll, a Johns Hopkins economist wrote in June. Carroll, who has since joined the staff of the Council of Economic Advisers (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/w/white_house_council_of_economic_advisers/index.html?inline=nyt-org), likened the seeming paradox to the dilemma of St. Augustine, who after a youth spent in pleasure famously prayed, “Lord, make me chaste — but not quite yet.” The government faces a trade-off on financial chastity. This will enter into all sorts of policy decisions, like when to start paying down its deficit. It is the same trade-off — spending now or saving for later? — that the private sector thoroughly botched.

SouthernFried
10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Funny how the biggest spender in the history of the world, Mr. Obama...is trying to get "others" to "do what I say, not what I do."

...and so it goes.

boutons_deux
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
"biggest spender in the history of the world"

assholes in the peanut gallery don't offer any alternative

spursncowboys
10-19-2009, 07:52 PM
"biggest spender in the history of the world"

assholes in the peanut gallery don't offer any alternative
Now Bush is gone, spending is ok again. Hypocrites.

Winehole23
10-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Funny how the biggest spender in the history of the world, Mr. Obama...is trying to get "others" to "do what I say, not what I do."

...and so it goes.Beg pardon. This had what to do with the OP, please?

Saving implies spending and spending implies Obama? Something like that?

We should play golf sometimes. I like to hang out with real big bullshitters when I play golf ...

...you just made the grade, SF.

Do you like to drink too? Because that would be perfect.

spursncowboys
10-19-2009, 07:56 PM
They need to increase the yield on bonds. It's hard for people to go from savings acct with 4-5% yield and now what is it 1-2%? I think stocks (Dow) are still undervalued. Buy and read Intelligent Investor by B. Graham and pretty soon saving will be fun.

Winehole23
10-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Now Bush is gone, spending is ok again. Hypocrites.Topicality. Please.

The OP is about saving. Do you have any comments about that, SnC?

Winehole23
10-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I think stocks (Dow) are still undervalued.I think I'll seek a second opinion at the bar...

Thanks, tho.

coyotes_geek
10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Good read. Granted there might be more pain short term, but in the long run we come out way ahead if individuals take on the responsibility of saving so that they can fund their own retirements.

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
They need to increase the yield on bonds. It's hard for people to go from savings acct with 4-5% yield and now what is it 1-2%? I think stocks (Dow) are still undervalued. Buy and read Intelligent Investor by B. Graham and pretty soon saving will be fun.

even bank term deposits are low atm....or online bank accts is low atm...

Lebowski Brickowski
10-19-2009, 09:41 PM
In the short run, to the extent that people don’t spend, the government will.
--- uhhhhhhhh, whose money will the government be spending again?

coyotes_geek
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM

exactly. today's government spending is tomorrow's drag on the economy when consumers are paying taxes to subsidize government debt as opposed to being a) savers or b) consumers.

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2009, 09:53 PM

the govt wants to tap into the retirement savings account, thats where all the money is held up and couldve bailed out the GFC had it step in.....

down here the govt trying to pull a dodgy on the baby boomers with its new pension policy....if you qualify for the pension and have retirement savings, you can ellect to have a better pension payment if you allow the govt ownership over ur retirement funds. the catch is, if you die your retirement savings belong to the govt and no relative or will can touch it, but if you outlive urself then you can reap alot of money from the govts pension.

it will only benefit those who have a small retirement fund say 100-200k.

but if i had 250k+ i think i pass and try living on investments earn from dividends or bank deposits...

MannyIsGod
10-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Sure, at a time when true monetary policy would dictate a negative rate on US bonds you suggest raising the rates so that people save more. Genius!

coyotes_geek
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
but if i had 250k+ i think i pass and try living on investments earn from dividends or bank deposits...

$250k isn't nearly enough to get by on dividends and interest these days.

Winehole23
10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
They need to increase the yield on bonds. It's hard for people to go from savings acct with 4-5% yield and now what is it 1-2%?How about increasing the interest on savings accounts too? Incentives to save and invest instead of borrow-borrow-borrow? Sign me up.

Current interest rates favor the largest borrowers.

Buy and read Intelligent Investor by B. Graham and pretty soon saving will be fun.What I have trouble understanding is why saving ever went out of style.

EVAY
10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
This was a good post. Thanks, WH.

You asked why savings went out of style. I think that only a little part of the answer is in the overall culture of wanting to keep up with everyone else, and the information-age distribution of how much our 'idols' (be they financiers or pop stars) own. The great American "I want to be like...." means we want what they have, and are willing to put ourselves at risk to look like we do.

The other factor is government incentives.

Remember after 9/11 when the president was asked what Americans could do to help the economy? His answer was "to go shopping". (this is not a criticism of Bush...he understood that, in the last few decades, consumer spending has accounted for about 70+% of the economic growth of the country). So you have had lots of gov't. programs designed to help people spend money (lower interest rates to facilitate borrowing for large items, etc.), with virtually no gov't incentives to save. No politician or political party in power wanted to preside over a low or no growth economic situation, so they kept doing things to get people to spend their money, to keep the economic growth positive. Then they could point to the growth and say "see, my economic policies have resulted in a growing economy." I think the programs that are being discussed in this article will not incent very many people, but to the extent that they do, it is a good thing.

Since the current financial debacle occurred, Americans have wanted to save more for themselves than anytime in the last two-three decades, mostly because they got scared of financial ruin. I keep wondering if this generation will have something similar to the depression generation who saved like crazy, so as "not to get caught again". I don't think that would be a bad thing. It would, however, mean that the economy would grow at a consistently lower rate than recent political discussions suggest is our proper place in the world, but our economy would be on a firmer footing than any time in the last few decades. The question is one of political will to do the right thing, and there is no evidence that either party is willing to do that.

RandomGuy
10-20-2009, 12:44 PM
There is no denying that the spending binge of recent years was wacky. Economics used to teach that people made rational calculations about what to save (and to spend). That was part of the free-market gospel. It has become rather obvious that psychology and emotions also play a part in such decisions. The administration has embraced the profession’s revisionism. Endorsing automatic-enrollment savings plans is another way of saying, “We know you won’t save as much as you should on your own.” The credit binge basically proved that, rational or not, people will prefer to remain poor (i.e., to spend) as long as someone will lend them money.

http://www.predictablyirrational.com/#

Buy and read the book, Predictably Irrational. (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9780061958724&ourl=Predictably%2DIrrational%2FDan%2DAriely&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Predictably%20Irrational-_-9780061958724)

It is an interesting look into the reality that one of the fundamental principles of the "free market" is that we are not always entirely rational when it comes to making decisions.

You would love this book WH.

LnGrrrR
10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
It is an interesting look into the reality that one of the fundamental principles of the "free market" is that we are not always entirely rational when it comes to making decisions.

What's funny is that people once thought that markets were perfectly rational, when balanced out. Without thinking, hey, maybe just a few irrational actions by a few actors can mess up a whole lot of things...

My wife watches those "Real Life" MTV shows... I can definitely vouch for the irrationality of many.

Winehole23
10-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the linx, RG. Looks like interesting stuff.