PDA

View Full Version : Artest has been seeing a psychologist since last season

djohn2oo8
10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
LOS ANGELES - When Ron Artest signed with the Lakers this summer, skeptics suggested his volatile disposition would be a greater threat to the defending champs' title quest than any opponent they face on the court.
Quietly, however, Artest is taking a proactive approach to addressing his problems of the past. Artest revealed before Sunday's 114-108 exhibition victory over the Clippers that he has been seeing a Houston-based sports psychologist regularly since last season.

The sessions have helped him overcome his well-chronicled anger issues, cope with the pressure of joining the star-studded Lakers and learn how to set aside his ego and become a better teammate."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_19.46c7c49.html

DPG21920
10-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Good news for Ron. Hopefully he takes it serious.

MiamiHeat
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Good for him

Tens of millions of americans see a psychologist every year

Spursmania
10-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Is anyone surprised? He really needs it, and I'm glad he recognizes he has issues. It's a good thing for him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-19-2009, 08:44 PM
He needs a psychiatrist, not a "sports psychologist". He shows a lot of signs of manic-depressive disorder, and definitely suffers from major delusions.

Thompson
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
He needs a psychiatrist, not a "sports psychologist". He shows a lot of signs of manic-depressive disorder, and definitely suffers from major delusions.

Exactly. Apparently they're not as interested in (or capable of) treating him as they are in documenting his particular brand of insanity for posterity.

Spursmania
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM

This is true.

daslicer
10-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Then Dick is lost, and its only a matter of time...

:lol:lol Hey as long as he's producing what happens off the court stays off the court.

xtremesteven33
10-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Damn the season hasnt even started and im already getting annoyed of Ron Artest. :shootme

Flux451
10-19-2009, 10:01 PM
LOS ANGELES - When Ron Artest signed with the Lakers this summer, skeptics suggested his volatile disposition would be a greater threat to the defending champs' title quest than any opponent they face on the court.
Quietly, however, Artest is taking a proactive approach to addressing his problems of the past. Artest revealed before Sunday's 114-108 exhibition victory over the Clippers that he has been seeing a Houston-based sports psychologist regularly since last season.

The sessions have helped him overcome his well-chronicled anger issues, cope with the pressure of joining the star-studded Lakers and learn how to set aside his ego and become a better teammate."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_19.46c7c49.html

Your sig pic of Bow Wow is cute.

xellos88330
10-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I just got the psychologist scene from Space Jam in my head.

Mugsy: Are you saying I am disrespecting my momma?
But I love my momma...

balli
10-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm surprised he hasn't been in like 3 sessions a week since the Malice at the Palace. I would have thought it mandated by Stern.

cobbler
10-19-2009, 11:09 PM
:lmao at all the armchair psychiatrists!

Culburn369
10-19-2009, 11:10 PM
When you're a nutcase, it doesn't matter what sort of therapy you receive, it'll come to the surface eventually.

You'd better hope so, otherwise the Mavs will be the least of yer worries.

tee, hee.

Culburn369
10-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Damn the season hasnt even started and im already getting annoyed of Ron Artest.

That ain't him, that's the Mavs stuck halfway up yer ass still.

tee, hee.

Culburn369
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Then Dick is lost, and its only a matter of time...

Ouch!

Darkwaters
10-20-2009, 12:10 AM
:lmao at all the armchair psychiatrists!

You're right, who are we to judge? Clearly his outward actions are not enough to make a semi-accurate judgement of his level of psychological clarity.:rolleyes

cobbler
10-20-2009, 12:38 AM
You're right, who are we to judge? Clearly his outward actions are not enough to make a semi-accurate judgement of his level of psychological clarity.:rolleyes

The man has some issues... it's no secret. He finally trys to address some of them in a positive manner and see a psychologist. I applaud the effort and it has nothing to do with the team he plays for. But nooooooo... all the naysayers gotta laugh and say he needs a psychiatrist as if any of them have any expertise in the field.

...and if he goes through the whole sesaon with no problems, not one of you will admit you misjudged him or recant the talk of his RUINING the Lakers. We will hear how it was a fluke and he'll ruin the 2010 Lakers.

Funny how we didn't hear how he was going to ruin the Rockets in tens of threads last year. Now that he's a Laker, it's all the rage.

Everybody hatin on the top dog... Look that up in your psychology for dummies book...

TheSullyMonster
10-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Funny how we didn't hear how he was going to ruin the Rockets in tens of threads last year. Now that he's a Laker, it's all the rage.

Everybody hatin on the top dog... Look that up in your psychology for dummies book...

I do recall reading that it was a risk for Houston to take him, actually. Maybe not here(wasn't reading here then), but people were skeptical about Houston as well.

cobbler
10-20-2009, 02:56 AM
I do recall reading that it was a risk for Houston to take him, actually. Maybe not here(wasn't reading here then), but people were skeptical about Houston as well.

Of course there were a few comments here and there about the risk. And there were the counters that he loves playing for Adleman and vice versa. But constant day after day threads and posts about how he will destroy the team....

... that is just for the Lakers. But that comes with the territory of being #1, the envy and jealosy factors, and lack of being able to come up with any real basketball reasons that the Lakers will fail due to Rons aquisition.

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 05:19 AM
...that's why ringin' 15 times makes it all worthwhile.

TJastal
10-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Ron's got alot more than anger issues. My theory is he has been repressing homosexual feelings his whole life. He wears those tight shorts for a reason. :downspin:

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/2402633_hgro1/Artest.bmp

At least on the laker's Ron's got a kindred spirit. :lol
http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/2402678_if8sw/Kobe-Gay.jpg

djohn2oo8
10-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Of course there were a few comments here and there about the risk. And there were the counters that he loves playing for Adleman and vice versa. But constant day after day threads and posts about how he will destroy the team....

... that is just for the Lakers. But that comes with the territory of being #1, the envy and jealosy factors, and lack of being able to come up with any real basketball reasons that the Lakers will fail due to Rons aquisition.

You are probably the dumbest fan in all of sports.....When Artest came to Houston, Laker fans were saying the exact same thing that people are saying about him now, the risk factor. Also, I specifically remember some Laker fans say that they didn't want Artest anyway,because they had Ariza. Fuckin hypocrites, at least Allanon is the most decent Laker fan that you will find anywhere. You are obviously blind to the fact that Ron is not what he once was, but while he can still defend some, watch where he gets his points, off balance, contested shots

benefactor
10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Probably a little closer to a mixed bipolar.

Actually...the fact that he refuses to take any responsiblity for his actions suggests possible borderline personality disorder. Personality disorders are very hard to treat with any kind of medicine and most people that have them stay stuck in a rut because they refuse to be proactive in the treatment.

Allanon
10-20-2009, 09:33 AM
As far as I'm concerned, what Ron Ron does in his own life is up to him.

Is Ron crazy? Probably.
Is Ron an excellent basketball player? Probably.

Who would have believed this man would have been a huge contributor on a 72 win team and holder of 5 rings?

http://theheroiclife.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/dennis-rodman.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HHDsS7my1oc/Rh0n2BQ7O4I/AAAAAAAAANU/1baz2na5DSM/s400/taylorwithshirt.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.onmylist.com/list_item_images/29262/Dennis_Rodman_list_view.jpg

DaDakota
10-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Ron is a nutcase.....how is his family? Probably nutjobs too....

DD

cobbler
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
You are probably the dumbest fan in all of sports.....When Artest came to Houston, Laker fans were saying the exact same thing that people are saying about him now, the risk factor. Also, I specifically remember some Laker fans say that they didn't want Artest anyway,because they had Ariza. Fuckin hypocrites, at least Allanon is the most decent Laker fan that you will find anywhere. You are obviously blind to the fact that Ron is not what he once was, but while he can still defend some, watch where he gets his points, off balance, contested shots

We dont care where he gets his points. We have no problem scoring. If Ron scores 4 points a night and simply defends and rebounds we are fine. Practically every analyst and MOST the knowledgable fans agree that Ron is better all arouund player than Trevor. Notice i use the word knowledagable....so that would exclude you.

I have no doubt some Laker fans were saying the same stupid ass shit you are now saying last year. They were wrong. Just as you will be. The point i was making was they didnt have to bring it up every friggen day in multiple threads in numerous posts. Laker fans are not that insecure. It was commented on and dropped. Everyone one of the morons like you who bring it up ad nauseum keep telling us how he's going to ruin the Lakers not from a basketball standpoint...but in the locker room.

You keep on wishing that, as you see Ariza's numbers plumet this year douche boy. What's your teams goal this year? I'm guessing same as last year.... pray to get out of the first round.

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
What's your teams goal this year?

Waiting out Yao & McGrady.

djohn2oo8
10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
We dont care where he gets his points. We have no problem scoring. If Ron scores 4 points a night and simply defends and rebounds we are fine. Practically every analyst and MOST the knowledgable fans agree that Ron is better all arouund player than Trevor. Notice i use the word knowledagable....so that would exclude you.
I have no doubt some Laker fans were saying the same stupid ass shit you are now saying last year. They were wrong. Just as you will be. The point i was making was they didnt have to bring it up every friggen day in multiple threads in numerous posts. Laker fans are not that insecure. It was commented on and dropped. Everyone one of the morons like you who bring it up ad nauseum keep telling us how he's going to ruin the Lakers not from a basketball standpoint...but in the locker room.You keep on wishing that, as you see Ariza's numbers plumet this year douche boy. What's your teams goal this year? I'm guessing same as last year.... pray to get out of the first round.
Same as last year? you were shitting yourself when it went to 7 games so STFU.....I know that you are a bandwagoning bitch who has no knowledge of the game whatsoever....My team's goal is to overachieve once again, and not use excuses when they lose...ask phil about that, whiney bitches

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Same as last year? you were shitting yourself when it went to 7 games so STFU.

No, dj, that wasn't Cobb that shit himself when it went to game 7. That was me. I was as nervous as a sissy at Boy's Town.

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
The Lakers have always taken scrub teams lightly, but when that must win game came, we shitted on the Rockets and their entire fan base.

Exactly! I was just joshin' & funnin' about saying I was really nervous about the outcome of that Game 7 with Houston. I was like Luva. I never had a moment's doubt.:rolleyes

cobbler
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Same as last year? you were shitting yourself when it went to 7 games so STFU.....I know that you are a bandwagoning bitch who has no knowledge of the game whatsoever....My team's goal is to overachieve once again, and not use excuses when they lose...ask phil about that, whiney bitches

Not me... I don't sweat the small stuff. The Lakers all year long didn't get up for the weak teams. They got swept by the Bobcats for god's sake. I've had Laker season tix probably longer than you have been alive and played the game at a pretty high level for just as long... so you are wrong on both counts there. Like that is any surprise. PJ can make all the excuses he wants. I could care less. I'll take his winning % anyday.

Whiney bitches? I think you have it backwards. We are the arrogant smug bastads who like to rub in our success to haters like you. You are the whiney bitches that gripe every year when bounced from the first round and puff out your chests because you took a Laker team (that took your team lightly as they always do with the bottom feeders) to 7 games.

Geeeeeeez, do you ever get anything right? :bang

Double-Up
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Good for him

Tens of millions of americans see a psychologist every year

Love your sig...

Morg1411
10-20-2009, 02:05 PM
OMG, almost 24 hours passed without a story about Ron-Ron!

Fuck Ron-Ron, and fuck L.A. (Especially Culburn and Luva, because they're special.)

lefty
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm pretty the psychologist ended up in the couch talking to Artest about his problems

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
The man has some issues... it's no secret. He finally trys to address some of them in a positive manner and see a psychologist. I applaud the effort and it has nothing to do with the team he plays for. But nooooooo... all the naysayers gotta laugh and say he needs a psychiatrist as if any of them have any expertise in the field.

...and if he goes through the whole sesaon with no problems, not one of you will admit you misjudged him or recant the talk of his RUINING the Lakers. We will hear how it was a fluke and he'll ruin the 2010 Lakers.

DE-NI-AL ain't a river in Egypt.

Probably a little closer to a mixed bipolar.

Actually...the fact that he refuses to take any responsiblity for his actions suggests possible borderline personality disorder. Personality disorders are very hard to treat with any kind of medicine and most people that have them stay stuck in a rut because they refuse to be proactive in the treatment.

:tu

(BTW, "manic-depressive" is the new label for "bipolar", or is it the other way around? :lol ).

tlongII
10-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Artest won't ruin the Lakers.

The Blazers will.

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Who would have believed this man would have been a huge contributor on a 72 win team and holder of 5 rings?

http://theheroiclife.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/dennis-rodman.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HHDsS7my1oc/Rh0n2BQ7O4I/AAAAAAAAANU/1baz2na5DSM/s400/taylorwithshirt.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.onmylist.com/list_item_images/29262/Dennis_Rodman_list_view.jpg

& proceeded to tell the Rev. David Robinson & The Spurs to go pound salt.

cobbler
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Artest won't ruin the Lakers.

The Blazers will.

Wanna put your money where your mouth is? ohhhhhhhh that's right... you already pussed out on those offers.

ALL TALK AND NO WALK.

Darkwaters
10-20-2009, 10:40 PM

Ron Artest is a guy that grows on you...and I mean the way a cancer grows on you. While everybody remembers the Malice at the Palace from a few years back, the major concern is not so much that he'll have a single moment of indiscretion. Indiana wanted him out for more reasons than just the brawl and public image, Sacto wanted him gone (for a looong time) because he was legitimately tearing their team apart, and Houston said "fuck this" 12 months into the experiment. History is on our side. And you're right, it might not be 2009, or even 2010. But it WILL happen. And just because the team doesn't publically admit it, doesn't mean that things don't happen behind the scenes.

Actually, everyone was very skeptical of the move that brought Ron from Sacramento to Houston. While hes a valuable player, people were still spouting the same comments in regards to Houston that they are about the Lakers this year. 12 months later the Rockets and Artest parted ways.

cobbler
10-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Ron Artest is a guy that grows on you...and I mean the way a cancer grows on you. While everybody remembers the Malice at the Palace from a few years back, the major concern is not so much that he'll have a single moment of indiscretion. Indiana wanted him out for more reasons than just the brawl and public image, Sacto wanted him gone (for a looong time) because he was legitimately tearing their team apart, and Houston said "fuck this" 12 months into the experiment. History is on our side. And you're right, it might not be 2009, or even 2010. But it WILL happen. And just because the team doesn't publically admit it, doesn't mean that things don't happen behind the scenes.

So you have no proof of his tearing the team apart in the locker rooms. Everything I have ever read from teammates says he was a great teammate.

So, in other words, ALL conjecture on your part. Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW... that guy thats going to ruin the Lakers by being a ball hog and chucking up awful shots was the player of the game tonight with 6 points, 8 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

....but you hang on to that future meltdown theory thats going to crumble the team.

Culburn369
10-21-2009, 12:14 AM
and Houston said "fuck this" 12 months into the experiment.

But, 11 months & 30 out of 31 days of the 12th month they never uttered a peep of protest or bad tidyings. It was then - after the first 24 hours he'd signed in L.A., that they got just a smidge testy in Houston and started a flappin' them gums.

They got bigger fish to fry there now though. Let 'em eat cake and X out each of those days on one of those 16-month calendars they sell just about everywhere as Yao gets his healin' on & a sendin' those checks back to the mainland every two weeks, jest like clock work.

tee, hee.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-21-2009, 06:59 AM
But, 11 months & 30 out of 31 days of the 12th month they never uttered a peep of protest or bad tidyings. It was then - after the first 24 hours he'd signed in L.A., that they got just a smidge testy in Houston and started a flappin' them gums.

They got bigger fish to fry there now though. Let 'em eat cake and X out each of those days on one of those 16-month calendars they sell just about everywhere as Yao gets his healin' on & a sendin' those checks back to the mainland every two weeks, jest like clock work.

tee, hee.

...well, when you ignore the facts that is. What about the time when he turned up for the team bus in his underpants? tee fuckin hee indeed

I'm looking forward to watching Artest's delusional mania insidiously undermine Faker team chemistry (by about game 60), before Jax sends him on a self-discovery mission involving peyote and the Nevada desert, after which he founds his own cult of bling-worshipping delusionals with poor taste in hip hop.

I feel sorry for Jax, though, because I've always liked and respected him... now that I've grown up I even understand where he's coming from. No-one better for the job of managing a crazy, but I fear for his heart.

djohn2oo8
10-21-2009, 07:45 AM

They got bigger fish to fry there now though. Let 'em eat cake and X out each of those days on one of those 16-month calendars they sell just about everywhere as Yao gets his healin' on & a sendin' those checks back to the mainland every two weeks, jest like clock work.tee, hee.
Our front office kept shit under wraps, so don't act like u know anything, tee hee

Culburn369
10-21-2009, 07:48 AM
...well, when you ignore the facts that is. What about the time when he turned up for the team bus in his underpants? tee fuckin hee indeed

That's the point: we didn't hear about that until AFTER he signed in L.A., and then they ratted him out in Houston.

duncan228
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Mind Over Matter With Ron Artest (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-mindovermatterwithro&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Three cheers for Ron Artest. First, he's in the Los Angeles Times geeking out about the possibility of him and Kobe as an unstoppable defense tandem. Then, just in case you think Artest's getting too serious, he treated us to some of the most artful nonsense you'll ever hear from an athlete. Even Ron-Ron.

From Lakers Blog (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2009/10/ron-artest-half-man-half-dog-half-brick.html):

After a brief delve into "chicken and egg" philosophy ("If you're chasing somebody who's chasing something, then I don't know what you're gonna chase."), Artest then equated the scenario to a visual guaranteed to make me laugh.

"It's like two dogs with a tail, right? They got the tail. As much as they're chasing my tail, I'm chasing their tail. It's kinda crazy. I'm not chasing my tail. There's a tail in front of me. I'm chasing their tail."

I know I haven't been the biggest supporter (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/38189/another_open_letter_to_ron_artest) of Artest's silly side lately, but man alive, this is priceless stuff. Who cares if Gilbert Arenas plans to stick to business; if we can count on Artest for this kind of surreal brilliance, he might have made a crucial leap from erratic to eccentric. I guess that's a form of maturity.

Incidentally, I only scratched the surface of what Artest said, so follow the link. There's video evidence of it, too