PDA

View Full Version : Feds end pursuit of Ore. medical pot smokers, growers

PuttPutt
10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Associated Press

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Federal drug agents won't pursue pot-smoking patients or their sanctioned suppliers in states that allow medical marijuana, under new legal guidelines to be issued Monday by the Obama administration.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state law.
The guidelines to be issued by the department do, however, make it clear that agents will go after people whose marijuana distribution goes beyond what is permitted under state law or use medical marijuana as a cover for other crimes, the officials said.
The new policy is a significant departure from the Bush administration, which insisted it would continue to enforce federal anti-pot laws regardless of state codes.
Fourteen states allow some use of marijuana for medical purposes: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.
California is unique among those for the widespread presence of dispensaries - businesses that sell marijuana and even advertise their services. Colorado also has several dispensaries, and Rhode Island and New Mexico are in the process of licensing providers, according to the Marijuana Policy Project, a group that promotes the decriminalization of marijuana use.
Attorney General Eric Holder said in March that he wanted federal law enforcement officials to pursue those who violate both federal and state law, but it has not been clear how that goal would be put into practice.
A three-page memo spelling out the policy is expected to be sent Monday to federal prosecutors in the 14 states, and also to top officials at the FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration.
The memo, the officials said, emphasizes that prosecutors have wide discretion in choosing which cases to pursue, and says it is not a good use of federal manpower to prosecute those who are without a doubt in compliance with state law.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the legal guidance before it is issued.
"This is a major step forward," said Bruce Mirken, communications director for the Marijuana Policy Project. "This change in policy moves the federal government dramatically toward respecting scientific and practical reality."
At the same time, the officials said, the government will still prosecute those who use medical marijuana as a cover for other illegal activity. The memo particularly warns that some suspects may hide old-fashioned drug dealing or other crimes behind a medical marijuana business.
In particular, the memo urges prosecutors to pursue marijuana cases which involve violence, the illegal use of firearms, selling pot to minors, money laundering or involvement in other crimes.
And while the policy memo describes a change in priorities away from prosecuting medical marijuana cases, it does not rule out the possibility that the federal government could still prosecute someone whose activities are allowed under state law.
The memo, officials said, is designed to give a sense of prosecutorial priorities to U.S. attorneys in the states that allow medical marijuana. It notes that pot sales in the United States are the largest source of money for violent Mexican drug cartels, but adds that federal law enforcement agencies have limited resources.
Medical marijuana advocates have been anxious to see exactly how the administration would implement candidate Barack Obama's repeated promises to change the policy in situations in which state laws allow the use of medical marijuana.
Soon after Obama took office, DEA agents raided four dispensaries in Los Angeles, prompting confusion about the government's plans.

http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stories/NW_101909ORN-AP-medical-marijuana-oregon-policy-LJ.230a435b3.html

InRareForm
10-19-2009, 11:39 PM
obama gets a thumbs up on this one.

balli
10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
The whole war on marijuana is an issue I'm so cynical about that I almost don't even care about news relating to it, good or bad.

That said, I laugh and laugh and laugh when I think about all the over-zealous pieces of shit who work for the DEA, who were pissed off all day (and will remain so) because Obama told them they had to do actual work.

So yeah, score one for the good guys... but it's not enough to win, someone else has to lose. I'm glad its the DEA that's losing.

exstatic
10-19-2009, 11:57 PM
The headline should read "Fed ends violation of Constitution".

Nbadan
10-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure how the DEA is losing as long as the Marijuana wars continue on the local, state and national level for recreational users...if your of age, as in... consenting adult...I don't have a problem with it, but there are kids as young as 10-11-12 smoking marijuana really gets me pissed..

Col. Sam Daniels
10-20-2009, 12:42 AM
there are kids as young as 10-11-12 smoking marijuana really gets me pissed..

Your right they should stick to having sex, drinking daddy's booze,and taking mommy's meds! :tu

I think ritalin and the shit the doctors give the kids is worst than a plant from the ground.

boutons_deux
10-20-2009, 05:28 AM
"kids as young as 10-11-12 smoking marijuana really gets me pissed.."

how about "kids as young as 10-11-12" gettting diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease from overeating, shitty food, junk food, being prescribed anti-depressants and other psycho-active BigPharma shit? does that piss you off?

The corps and their shitty products are causing more disease than marijuana ever could. How much do the corps make from kids smoking marijuana?

Alex Jones
10-20-2009, 06:24 AM
^ :tu

balli
10-20-2009, 07:44 AM
When it comes to weed and kids, I personally worry far more about developing lungs than I do developing brains.

And I guess technically, two wrongs don't make a right, but like boutons nicely summed up- there are about a million other substances that corporate America is quite purposefully and legally poisoning our children with.

baseline bum
10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
The best way to keep weed out of kids hands is to legalize it and regulate it like alcohol. In high school it was seriously easier for me to get cocaine, acid, or weed than beer.... especially early in HS.

z0sa
10-20-2009, 10:05 AM
:tu The feds finally give back the state's rights on this issue.

Texas approved the use of medical marijuana in the 1970's ...

spurspf
10-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Hurray for the 11th Amendment? Not a state righter, just saying. But I do agree that drug laws are whacked in this country. Too many right wing nut jobs.

boutons_deux
10-20-2009, 04:19 PM
"Last update: August 11, 2009

Medical marijuana bill introduced

A bill has been introduced that would allow seriously ill patients to raise a medical necessity defense to charges of possessing marijuana for medical use. This legislation was introduced during the 2007 legislative session, however, despite the fact that a 2004 poll showed 75% of Texans support medical marijuana"

http://www.mpp.org/states/texas/

... so it's not yet legal in backward, red-neck, alcohol-banning, Bible-thumping TX. It will be a miracle if the OT-Bible-thumpers find any NT-Jesus-sympathy for patients who could benefit from marijuana, but DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH! :lol

DMX7
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The gov should be making money taxing this instead of wasting money trying to prevent people from using it.

hope4dopes
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow, what a non issue, economy is in collapse, unemployment sky high, health care bill pleases no one, we 're fighting two wars.......well I guess this buys him some votes from the American Idol crowd.And of course the mexican drug cartels that are growing dope all over the parks system fucking up watercourses and setting the occasional forest fires.

coyotes_geek
10-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Good for Obama. Chasing stoners, be them "medicating" ones or not, is a waste of the taxpayers money.

baseline bum
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow, what a non issue, economy is in collapse, unemployment sky high, health care bill pleases no one, we 're fighting two wars.......well I guess this buys him some votes from the American Idol crowd.And of course the mexican drug cartels that are growing dope all over the parks system fucking up watercourses and setting the occasional forest fires.

So trying to put a clamp on some of the ridiculously unnecessary spending on the state finding, arresting, prosecuting, and incarcerating its own people for distribution of a virtually harmless substance doesn't appeal to an alleged fiscal conservative/libertarian like you?

Nbadan
10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Your right they should stick to having sex, drinking daddy's booze,and taking mommy's meds! :tu

I think ritalin and the shit the doctors give the kids is worst than a plant from the ground.

There is no moral equivalence here, don't give me that BS...kids that do booze, drugs, prescribed or not, cheat themselves and their families of what they could become

Nbadan
10-20-2009, 05:46 PM
The corps and their shitty products are causing more disease than marijuana ever could. How much do the corps make from kids smoking marijuana?

What specific drugs are you talking about? Ritilan? GO try spending a few days with kids who need it and won't take it because for what ever reason they don't like it....I guarantee you'll be saying 'Give em the ritilan' within 2 days..

hope4dopes
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
So trying to put a clamp on some of the ridiculously unnecessary spending on the state finding, arresting, prosecuting, and incarcerating its own people for distribution of a virtually harmless substance doesn't appeal to an alleged fiscal conservative/libertarian like you? Fine no problem, who the fuck cares.......what I find revealing is that this bone is tossed out to you little dogs and you say thanks.... meanwhile rome burns, and you pretend this is something more than a transparent attempt to try and prop up a sagging throne,and a dying coalalition.I mean come on if you can't or won't grow your own fuck you.

hope4dopes
10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
"kids as young as 10-11-12 smoking marijuana really gets me pissed.."

how about "kids as young as 10-11-12" gettting diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease from overeating, shitty food, junk food, being prescribed anti-depressants and other psycho-active BigPharma shit? does that piss you off?

The corps and their shitty products are causing more disease than marijuana ever could. How much do the corps make from kids smoking marijuana? Give them time, give them time. BUZZ joints a product of phiilip morris get your's now.

exstatic
10-20-2009, 09:19 PM

I know this is going to be a tough thing to wrap your little brain around, but the cartels have ZERO interest in legal drugs. Legal drugs would be a market place, prices would drop to the point that it wouldn't pay to transport dope 5 miles, let alone attempt to smuggle it across borders, and it would be taxed.

hope4dopes
10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I know this is going to be a tough thing to wrap your little brain around, but the cartels have ZERO interest in legal drugs. Legal drugs would be a market place, prices would drop to the point that it wouldn't pay to transport dope 5 miles, let alone attempt to smuggle it across borders, and it would be taxed. Look twit, they're not making it legal, they're decriminalizing it in certain states under certain guidlines which no body really complies with anyway how much easier is to distribute in the country now.How much easier is it grow huge fields when you know the feds won't bust you groin california and then ship it too Utah.arizona,montana wherever.

exstatic
10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Look twit, they're not making it legal, they're decriminalizing it in certain states under certain guidlines which no body really complies with anyway how much easier is to distribute in the country now.How much easier is it grow huge fields when you know the feds won't bust you groin california and then ship it too Utah.arizona,montana wherever.

Uh, they actually do comply. You need a license to grow, and there is a limit of like 24-25 plants. You need a license to sell. You must buy only from licensed growers. If it's a "huge field", it's not legal, and quite obvious.

baseline bum
10-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Fine no problem, who the fuck cares.......what I find revealing is that this bone is tossed out to you little dogs and you say thanks.... meanwhile rome burns, and you pretend this is something more than a transparent attempt to try and prop up a sagging throne,and a dying coalalition.I mean come on if you can't or won't grow your own fuck you.

Pissy pissy. Go get your diaper changed, micca.

Wild Cobra
10-21-2009, 12:47 AM
obama gets a thumbs up on this one.
I think he finally is doing something I agree with.

This is rare, I don't expect that to happen very much. Maybe just once a year?

Wild Cobra
10-21-2009, 12:48 AM
LOL...

Then they would have to stop other violations if the people really started noticing that.

Wild Cobra
10-21-2009, 12:50 AM
but there are kids as young as 10-11-12 smoking marijuana really gets me pissed..
Take the black market out, and it will be harder for them to get it if anything.

boutons_deux
10-21-2009, 04:22 AM
There's been for years an epidemic of ADD diagnosis, not of ADD. Drug the kid, doc makes $$ from the prescription, and teacher/parents don't have to spend time with the kid or look for other causes. "Pop a pill" solves everything, the BigPharma myth and indoctrination working beautifully.

Ritalin is not the only psycho-active drug prescribed to young children.

Wild Cobra
10-21-2009, 04:25 AM
There's been for years an epidemic of ADD diagnosis, not of ADD. Drug the kid, doc makes $$ from the prescription, and teacher/parents don't have to spend time with the kid or look for other causes. "Pop a pill" solves everything, the BigPharma myth and indoctrination working beautifully.

Ritalin is not the only psycho-active drug prescribed to young children.
Yes, a little weed helps with my ADHD.

hope4dopes
10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Uh, they actually do comply. You need a license to grow, and there is a limit of like 24-25 plants. You need a license to sell. You must buy only from licensed growers. If it's a "huge field", it's not legal, and quite obvious.Oh yeah go see how often " local law enforcment "did major busts in humboldt county. It's their only tax base.

EmptyMan
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
The whole war on marijuana is an issue I'm so cynical about that I almost don't even care about news relating to it, good or bad.

That said, I laugh and laugh and laugh when I think about all the over-zealous pieces of shit who work for the DEA, who were pissed off all day (and will remain so) because Obama told them they had to do actual work.

So yeah, score one for the good guys... but it's not enough to win, someone else has to lose. I'm glad its the DEA that's losing.

Your humor from the situation stems from complete ignorance in your understanding of the DEA.

balli
10-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Ignorance.
Whatever. Fuck the DEA. You too. They want my respect, they can do their fucking jobs and quit meddling in policy. I'm glad Obama's forcing the issue.

And you really have no idea whatsoever what I know or don't know about the DEA. All you know is that I don't like said agency. In your narrow mind that's incompatible with knowledge about it. Which I may, or may not have, but either way, your argument sucks. Empty Man is right.

EmptyMan
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
They don't want your respect.

balli
10-23-2009, 10:32 AM
They don't want your respect.
Then don't call my perceived lack of it 'ignorant'. Respect, understanding, empathy, whatever you want to call it, don't be a bitch about the semantics.

And don't be the jackass that tells me to shape up my opinion, right before being the wanna-be militant hardass who tell me the DEA doesn't want my respect. Fucking lol at that.

clambake
10-23-2009, 10:37 AM
they must want some respect........or they wouldn't be bitching.