PDA

View Full Version : Luby's to close 25 Texas stores

JudynTX
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
The first Luby's Cafeteria was opened right here in San Antonio by Bob Luby when he returned to Texas from World War II. From that one store the chain grew into a Texas staple with more than 100 cafeterias.

But the restaurant that became famous for the Lou Ann platter, fried fish and chicken-fried steak announced today that they will be closing 25 locations as a result of the slumping economy.

The Luby’s on Sidney Baker in Kerrville is the only one in this area closing. The bigger cutbacks are coming in Dallas, Houston, and Galveston. The company is eyeing about ten other restaurants that could close next year.

According to a written release, five stores closed in the first quarter of fiscal 2010 and one was closed in the fourth quarter of 2009. Nineteen others will be closed within the next two weeks.

After the closures, the company will operate 95 restaurant locations and 15 culinary contract service locations and have 28 owned properties for sale.

Luby's (http://http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/story/Hold-the-Lou-Ann-platter-Luby-s-to-close-25-Texas/xQtXme3cl0yWZ_Qwo0FsbA.cspx)

Fried fish FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I. Hustle
10-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I just go for the deserts.

JoeChalupa
10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I remember when I first moved down to SA my parents took me to Luby's. I went back a few times but felt nickeled and dimed too a big bill.

Bigzax
10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
that's what i get when i go there...the fried fish.

the one on fredricksburg across from wonderland was booming back in the day...but haven't been in so long...

i was forced to pick a vegetable when i was a kid and thank goodness for fried okra and ketchup. :toast

Frenzy
10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Eh. Never cared for them...been there once when it was a kid in south park mall. They still do that stupid cafeteria thing ? :rolleyes

Bender
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I haven't been to one in probably 20 years. When I go out to eat, I like to get waited on.

greywheel
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
:( The closest one to me is closing.

This article contains the DFW locations.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/102009dnbuslubys.112da39.html

marini martini
10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I remember when I first moved down to SA my parents took me to Luby's. I went back a few times but felt nickeled and dimed too a big bill.

That figures!!!:lol

z0sa
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Damn. My dad always took me to Luby's back in the day.

atxrocker
10-20-2009, 10:05 AM
never have been a fan, good fucking riddance.

mrsmaalox
10-20-2009, 10:05 AM
My parents like to take the grandkids there. I think they feel better that the kids will get a vegetable other than french fries. If I go there, it's just to get that yummy slaw--I think it's the "Spanish Slaw"? What the hell kind of dumb word is "slaw" anyway??

CosmicCowboy
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Luby's just never adapted when casual dining full service chains (black eyed pea, Chiles, etc.) hit the scene. The food quality was good but they were just too expensive for what you got...After they went public they over-expanded. Luby's stock went into the tank about 10 years ago and the Pappas chain (Pappadeauxs, Pappasitos, etc.) bought them and took them private basically as a real estate play...they never gave a shit about food quality and service they just wanted to live off the "old Luby's" reputation and keep the locations open while the real estate appreciated. It's a shame, but the death of Luby's has been pretty predictable for years...

JudynTX
10-20-2009, 10:14 AM
never have been a fan, good fucking riddance.

:lol

They used to have the best mashed potatoes. Good stuff! Me and my mom would always go there, one of her favorite places to eat.

atxrocker
10-20-2009, 10:20 AM

They used to have the best mashed potatoes. Good stuff! Me and my mom would always go there, one of her favorite places to eat.

do they have mimi's cafe over there in san antonio? it's become a recent favorite of mine, if you have them there you should try it out.

CosmicCowboy
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
When Lubys first started their food was really really good. A very high percentage was fresh, and they used a lot of seasonal local produce etc. Once they expanded over about 15 stores though they got away from what had made them successful.

JudynTX
10-20-2009, 10:24 AM
:( Remember the Luby's massacre?

CosmicCowboy
10-20-2009, 10:28 AM
:( Remember the Luby's massacre?

Tyler Texas of all places. Dude was pissed off that they quit using cold water cod for the fried fish and started using cheaper cuts of fish...

koriwhat
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
luby has always sucked imo. the only thing worth a damn was there macaroni&cheese and fried okra. good riddance to your expensive shitty food and small tea glasses!

Mugshot
10-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I haven't been to one in probably 20 years. When I go out to eat, I like to get waited on.

I probably haven't been in 10 years. I used to really enjoy it when the whole family would go...

Death In June
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Lubys is awesome white people food. The Mac/Cheese especially. I don't understand how you people could let this happen.

Destro
10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Luby's Strawberry Shortcake, fried fish, and mac and cheese sets the standard for greatness

Jimcs50
10-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Tyler Texas of all places. Dude was pissed off that they quit using cold water cod for the fried fish and started using cheaper cuts of fish...

That was not in Tyler, it was in Kileen.

CubanMustGo
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Never have figured out why ppl like Luby's mac-n-cheese, which should be called 'mac-n-bland' for its total lack of taste.

If you go to their web site, they say:

WHAT'S NEW
Chris Pappas, President and CEO:
This is an exciting time for our customers, investors and our organization to experience new growth for our brand with the opening of the next generation Luby's cafeteria. The opening of our new prototype restaurant in Cypress, TX, marked the Company's first new store opening in over seven years. We believe our new prototype capitalizes on Luby's core fundamentals of serving great food made from scratch and a convenient delivery system. Our growth strategy for the Company is to open new stores, upgrade and remodel older stores and expand our culinary services business to be the food provider for healthcare facilities.

Nothing about shutting down stores ... then again this is dated August, 2007.

CosmicCowboy
10-20-2009, 01:03 PM
That was not in Tyler, it was in Kileen.

You are right. Byran, Kileen, Tyler...I get all those inbred East Texas towns confused...:lol

Jimcs50
10-20-2009, 01:10 PM
You are right. Byran, Kileen, Tyler...I get all those inbred East Texas towns confused...:lol

Kileen is north of Austin, not East Texas, dumbass.

JudynTX
10-20-2009, 01:25 PM
^^^ :lol

The prices sure have increased. :wow

mrsmaalox
10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Kileen is north of Austin, not East Texas, dumbass.

I used to get the Tyler/Temple confusion all the time. I had to learn where Killeen was to be able to know where Temple was and then know that Tyler was not there :)

CosmicCowboy
10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Well we can all agree at least that Bryan/CS is an inbred east Texas town...:lol

Jimcs50
10-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Well we can all agree at least that Bryan/CS is an inbred east Texas town...:lol

Yes, my son and his sister are expecting in Jan.

CosmicCowboy
10-20-2009, 02:15 PM

baseline bum
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM

:rollin

Clandestino
10-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Good food, but they are too fucking expensive

J.T.
10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
liver & onions ftw

mFFL03
10-20-2009, 08:10 PM
they've upped the prices and spent more money in recent years on advertising. I knew Luby's was in trouble when I saw them on billboards, newspapers, and on the radio trying to sound young and hip.

way off mark whoever made that decision.

almond baked haddock, mashed potes, greenbeans, and dinner roll FTW tapioca pudding optional

cornbread
10-20-2009, 09:06 PM
The moment Luby's lost me as a loyal customer was the day that I stood in line for like 45 minutes, got my own food, got my own ticket, carried my own tray to my table and sat down. Then some asshole walked up to the table and said, "Hi, I'm --- and I'll be your server today."

cornbread
10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
The day I go back is the day that they bring back the drink cart ladies get rid of the "servers".

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Best thing at luby's is the blackened tillapia, that shit is off the chain