PDA

View Full Version : Five fouls doesn't mean Oden sits automatically

tlongII
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
http://columbian.com/article/20091019/SPORTS01/910199985/1001/SPORTS01

Last season, it would have meant trouble. Bad news. Another "Oh, not again" moment that symbolized the Portland Trail Blazers center's slow progression from a promising No. 1 NBA draft pick into a dominant, powerful big man.

With five fouls, Oden would have played cautious. Then he would have inevitably drawn a sixth, found a place on the team's bench, and been out of the game.

The 7-foot, 270-pound Oden fouled out of five games last season, and received at least five foul calls in 26 contests.

"Last year we got him out and we went with Joel (Przybilla) and we pretty much stayed that way," Blazers coach Nate McMillan said Monday, following a workout session at the team's practice facility.

But Oden kept playing Sunday night in a come-from-behind preseason victory over the Denver Nuggets.

After drawing his fifth foul with 9 minutes left in fourth quarter, the Blazers' second-year center stayed on the court. And then he dominated.

Rather than shrinking away and playing smaller than his enormous frame, Oden expanded. He hit 4 of 5 shots, knocked down all four of his free throw attempts, grabbed six rebounds, recorded two blocks, and dropped in 12 fourth-quarter points.

"My confidence is there," Oden said Sunday.

And it has been present throughout training camp.

The former Ohio State standout is averaging 14.2 points and 9.7 rebounds through six preseason contests. He is shooting 55.6 percent (30 of 54) from the field, which ranks second on team, and 71.4 percent (25 of 35) from the foul line. In addition, Oden has only fouled out of one game, and has recorded four fouls or less in five.

McMillan and Blazers lead assistant coach Dean Demopoulos attributed Oden's increased productivity and ability to stay out of foul trouble to a lighter frame, better footwork and increased confidence. Moreover, both stated that Oden has begun to understand how to play with fouls — how to remain on the court and stay active, even when he is in danger of fouling out.

"Greg's slowly approaching learning how to do that," Demopoulos said. "And that'll be something that he'll always have to work at, just like every great big man has to work at those things. But right now, he's much better."

According to McMillan, he has learned to trust Oden and give him more freedom. Even when the Portland center draws quick fouls — as he did Sunday, picking up his fourth with 8:18 left in the third quarter — McMillan is willing to keep Oden in, depending on the flow of the game.

"He's been able to play actually better with the foul trouble," McMillan said.

Meanwhile, Demopoulos stated that Oden is receiving a return on the investment he made this summer. The Portland center spent several months working with three Blazer coaches, seeking to improve on his unfulfilling rookie season.

"Right now, I think everyone here would by lying — players included — to say they're not thrilled with Greg Oden," Demopoulos said.

Even small setbacks are no longer major issues for Oden.

He did not practice Monday due to a thigh injury — a left abductor contusion — and is listed as day to day, according to the team.

The injury is minor, however, and Oden could possibly take the court for tonight's game 7 p.m. game against the Utah Jazz at the Rose Garden.

Last season, any breakdown in Oden's development would have been cause for concern.

But Monday, Oden went out of his way to check in with the media before heading off to a previously scheduled engagement.

The no-longer-so-gentle giant walked out of the team's weight room — showing off a slight limp — and smiled.

"I have to go to the dentist," Oden said.

Then he waved goodbye and was gone.

Notes

— Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge said he plans to sign a contract extension with the team before an Oct. 31 deadline. "I can't say when, but I know it will get done," Aldridge said.

— Several Blazers are dealing with minor injuries. Aldridge (knee contusion), Przybilla (back spasms), Jerryd Bayless (sprained ankle) and Rudy Fernandez (back spasms) are all listed as day to day. Fernandez is the only player who will definitely not play in tonight's game.

— McMillan said he has basically decided on the team's regular-season starting lineup, but would not reveal which players will comprise the first unit.

z0sa
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
who gives a flying fuck, i mean, seriously this is just fucking sad they wrote a whole article about this bullshit

clambake
10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
what does this have to do with his next injury?

picc84
10-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I was wondering what would happen when Oden gets 5 fouls this season.

ginobili's bald spot
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Bynum > Oden

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 10:27 AM
5 < 6

ginobili's bald spot
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
15 > 1

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
15 > 1

I don't know, bald. I used to hold that opinion as well, but, that bastard t and those bastard Portlandites make that 1 seems like the f'in holy grail of all great things.:wow

Mel_13
10-20-2009, 10:57 AM
showing off a slight limp

tlongII
10-20-2009, 11:47 AM
52 > 17

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
52 > 17

No, seriously, t, what the fuck is up with that ring you fellows have up there? Is it like a magic ring? 30+ years later and its like increased in value 1000 fold.

ginobili's bald spot
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
52 > 17

Whats 52? Oden's real age? I guess you win that one tlong.

tlongII
10-20-2009, 12:01 PM
No, seriously, t, what the fuck is up with that ring you fellows have up there? Is it like a magic ring? 30+ years later and its like increased in value 1000 fold.

Oh, it has. It was the greatest championship of all championships!

Culburn369
10-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Oh, it has. It was the greatest championship of all championships!

It had the white man touch/fingerprints all over it, I remember that. Walton was like the second coming of Jesus Christ and that Gross kid, a ham & egger, but, they pimped him something fearsome.

I remember Walton coming down court and rolling his arms above his head (like a ref's traveling call)...must have been some kind of signal. And Ramsey in his '70s checked pants. You'd get shot wearing those now. Mine are still in a wad at the bottom of my closet next to my white shoes where I left 'em after going to Baskin Robbin's Sunday evenin'.