PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Last Preseason Games Vital For Non-Guaranteed Players

Blackjack
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Spurs notebook: Last preseason games vital for non-guaranteed players (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_notebook_Last_preseason_games_vital_for_non-guaranteed_players.html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

For most of the Spurs veterans, the last two preseason games present a chance to get the player rotations together to get a feel for the regular-season opener.

For the three Spurs without guaranteed contracts, they mean considerably more.

“For a lot of the guys, it’s just another preseason game,” said point guard Curtis Jerrells, the former Del Valle High School and Baylor star. “For a select few of us, it’s the most important games of our lives, as far as trying to get on the team.”

Jerrells, Baylor’s top scorer and assists man during his four seasons, was invited to camp in September. He understood the long odds to make the team but believes he has given it his best shot.

“I feel I’ve had a great camp,” he said. “I’ve done the things they’ve asked. There are a lot of great players here, obviously. My four years at Baylor, I led the team in scoring and assists, but pretty much all the Spurs need from me is my assists. I’m willing to give that.

“I understand sacrifice, and I understand reality. I understand I’m at the highest level of basketball right now, and I just want to do my job. I feel I’ve done a good job of that, running the club and defending.”

Mad men: The presence of makeup artists, camera operators, electricians, lighting technicians and production assistants at the Spurs’ practice facility on Monday could have meant only one thing: time to shoot the first round of TV commercials for broadcast sponsor H-E-B stores.

The spots have featured Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili for several seasons. Brent Barry was a comic addition for a couple of seasons, replaced last season, after Barry departed, by Bruce Bowen.

Now, with Bowen retired, All-Star point guard Tony Parker is making his H-E-B debut. Duncan said the pressure to match the artistic success and popularity of the spots that ran in seasons past falls squarely on Parker’s shoulders.

The Spurs captain said Parker has been getting lots of advice from his wife, actress Eva Longoria-Parker. “An extreme amount of pressure, obviously,” Duncan said of Parker’s debut. “He’s the standard on this team, and his wife obviously coaches him nightly to bring him up to par. I’m looking to him for a whole lot of leadership.” Ginobili said he wasn’t sure what to expect from Parker as an actor.

“It’s definitely going to be different,” he said.

Muser
10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
No way in Hell Jerrels makes the team.

Also :lol at Duncans comments about Parker

benefactor
10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
From the information we currently have, Jerrells on the Toros seems to make sense. He made a fairly significant amount of money to be here at camp with the Spurs(75k IIRC) and joining the Toros would keep him close to home.

benefactor
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh...and there is no way Tony comes in a fills Bruce's shoes immediately. He may never completely fill them.

Destro
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
tony has a funny voice, he cracks me just about every interview. he's going to be great

Spursmania
10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Tony's laugh gets me... I just want to laugh with him when he starts laughing or smiling. Must be fun to party with.:lol