PDA

View Full Version : City and Spurs team up to help South Side homeowners

duncan228
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
City and Spurs team up to help South Side homeowners (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/southside/64968582.html)
By Gabe Farias - Guest Columnist/Southside Reporter

Over the weekend I was fortunate to attend a very special event on the City's South Central area near Blessed Sacrament Academy.

It was the Rebuilding Together home rehabilitation initiative.

Rebuilding Together is a wonderful organization that goes into less affluent neighborhoods throughout the Country and literally rebuilds and rehabilitates homes that are in poor condition.

Several homes and Blessed Sacrament Academy were worked on as a part of the 2009 San Antonio based initiative.

The initiative was a partnership formed with the local City Council Office, Cricket Communications, Univision Radio and the Rebuilding Together organization.

About mid morning at one of the locations I noticed a familiar face.

It was Roger Mason Jr. of the San Antonio Spurs. Mason showed up and not only lifted the spirits of the volunteers working on the homes, he also grabbed a shovel and helped out with some landscaping rehabilitation as well.

This is so typical of an organization that is full of good, community oriented guys along the lines of David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

As far as Mason is concerned I gotta say I was more than impressed.

He not only assisted the local volunteers with the home, he also talked with others about how he can continue to do more things like this in other parts of the City. Not to mention that he was just an all around great guy that took the time to take as many pictures and sign as many autographs as possible.

Now of course this is just but one reason why this team is consistently listed as one of the top professional sports organizations in the nation each and every year.

The organization has an incredible philanthropic side as well.

According to the team's Web site, the nonprofit Spurs Foundation has donated more than $14 million in cash and in-kind contributions to south Texas youth through organizations that provide educational, recreational and medical needs since its inception back in 1988.

Special stuff from a very special organization that knows the importance of both winning on the court and establishing winning community based partnerships off the court.

As far as the on the court stuff, the 2009 version of the Spurs should be as impressive as any we have seen. With the additions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess as well as the quick emergence of George Hill and rookie forward DeJuan Blair…oh yeah let's not forget Duncan, Parker and Ginobili all back and seemingly healthy.

The Spurs are a special organization in a very small market and we should all just sit back and enjoy what we have. Both on the court and off of it, there are several reasons as to why we should all like the Spurs.

TIMMYD!
10-20-2009, 06:26 PM
We. Are. The. Best.