PDA

View Full Version : Dallas trades Jawai to Minnesota

Pistons < Spurs
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
The Dallas Mavericks have agreed to trade center Nathan Jawai to Minnesota for a future second-round pick, according to team sources.

The deal will be announced later Tuesday, sources said.

Jawai was a contractual throw-in from Toronto in the four-team trade in July that brought Shawn Marion to the Mavericks and has been shopped since his arrival in Dallas.

The Mavericks were pessimistic about being able to find a new home for the burly Australian, even given Jawai's modest $736,420 salary, but injuries to Kevin Love and Al Jefferson have created a short-term need for size in Minnesota.

The Wolves were able to absorb Jawai's salary into open cap space.

Love is out six to eight weeks with a broken hand and Jefferson -- who is recovering from a torn ACL suffered last season -- has been plagued by a sore Achilles tendon.

The Mavericks' roster now stands at 16 players, but they would need to either trade or buy out the $2.4 million expiring contract of exiled swingman Shawne Williams to make room for veteran Jake Voskuhl, whom Dallas would like to keep as a third center.

ESPN.com reported earlier this month that the Mavericks were also exploring the feasibility of suspending Williams for unspecified conduct detrimental to the team. Williams has continued to draw checks from the Mavericks even though he was sent home last season for what the club deemed to be consistently unprofessional conduct after appearing in just 15 games. But all suspensions in the NBA are without pay.

Like Jawai, Williams has been offered in trades for some time after the Mavs made a quick determination that last October's training-camp acquisition of the 23-year-old from Indiana and subsequent willingness to pick up Williams' option for this season were mistakes.http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4580588

Fpoonsie
10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
JaWho?

Muser
10-20-2009, 04:46 PM
That's a pretty awesome deal for Dallas.

z0sa
10-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Mavs closed that barely open championship window with a bang

Bruno
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Mavs have included cash and the pick is top55 protected.
http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wolves/

Mavs save some luxury tax money and Minny get a free look at Jawai. Nothing great but a solid deal for both side.

Stump
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I know Jawai is just a scrub, but isn't Dallas already starved for players at the center position? Considering their lack of depth, he must really suck for Cuban to send him away.

DMX7
10-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Jawai is a game changer. I sense a shift in the balance of power in the NBA.

Dex
10-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Ja-why would Minnesota agree to this?

sribb43
10-20-2009, 07:38 PM
I know Jawai is just a scrub, but isn't Dallas already starved for players at the center position? Considering their lack of depth, he must really suck for Cuban to send him away.

Jake Voskul is better then Jawai....thAt should give u an idea of the scrub that he is

mystargtr34
10-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Jawai sux.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-21-2009, 07:04 AM
I wonder if Jawai is ever going to get it? He has the size and physical tools, but he is looking less and less like an NBA player with every move. If that is the case, I hope he comes home to rip it up.

KidCongo
10-21-2009, 07:06 AM
I wonder if Jawai is ever going to get it? He has the size and physical tools, but he is looking less and less like an NBA player with every move. If that is the case, I hope he comes home to rip it up.

He needs to improve his conditioning that's for sure but he might of had injury setbacks last year and this off-season.

AussieFanKurt
10-21-2009, 07:09 AM

I'd say we'll see him sooner rather than later

MavDynasty
10-21-2009, 07:15 AM
lol too bad the pick is top 55 protected and I dont see the Wolves being a top 5 team in the next 3 years so Donnie esentially traded Jawai for nothing.

MI21
10-21-2009, 07:27 AM
I can't believe he got drafted in the first place to be honest.

AussieFanKurt
10-21-2009, 07:35 AM
I can't believe he got drafted in the first place to be honest.

yeah probably true.
but i was still happy to see it

nice sig btw haha, not sure how many understand it

MI21
10-21-2009, 07:54 AM
I can't even remember what my signature is. I turned them off, to many ridiculous ones going around!

On Jawai, it was pretty clear he was to raw and even at NBL level, he was mainly effective against the younger, skinnier and less experienced players. Marginal players that had some experience and a big body were able to limit him. I think massive improvements are needed for him to even become an NBA 11th or 12th man.

But yeah, I was wrapped to see him drafted, just like any Australian. Fantastic to see the Blazers lock up Patty Mills, hopefully he gets a run. He has the type of game that is suited to the NBA style.

KidCongo
10-21-2009, 07:59 AM
I can't even remember what my signature is. I turned them off, to many ridiculous ones going around!

On Jawai, it was pretty clear he was to raw and even at NBL level, he was mainly effective against the younger, skinnier and less experienced players. Marginal players that had some experience and a big body were able to limit him. I think massive improvements are needed for him to even become an NBA 11th or 12th man.

But yeah, I was wrapped to see him drafted, just like any Australian. Fantastic to see the Blazers lock up Patty Mills, hopefully he gets a run. He has the type of game that is suited to the NBA style.

Patty Mills will probably be waived in the next few days but I think will get get picked up by a team looking to fill their 15th roster spot. I'm hoping the Cavs will pick him up.