PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs on ref agreement: Yahoo!

Spurs Brazil
10-20-2009, 07:53 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/spurs-on-ref-ag.html
Spurs on ref agreement: Yahoo!
By Mike Monroe on Oct 20, 09 07:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
Spurs players have been diplomatic about the job the NBA's replacement referees have done this pre-season, but they were unanimous in their delight at news reports about a tentative agreement that will bring the members of the National Basketball Referees Association back to the court by the opening game of the season.

The New York Times reported Tuesday evening that the parameters of a new collective bargaining agreement between the referees' union and the league was reached in negotiations at league headquarters in New York. The membership of the union will vote on the agreement on Friday.

"If the officials have reached an agreement, I say, 'Good for them.' " Spurs captain Tim Duncan said. "I'll be very happy to have them back, and I mean that from my heart."

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said he appreciated the effort made by the replacement referees, but cited the experience of the regular referees.

"They been working, doing this for years, way more than me," said Manu Ginobili. "My guess is they're going to be better than the ones we have now. So, it's good for the sport, good for the fans, good for everybody."

Roger Mason Jr., who called Friday's 62-foul, 78-free throw game against the Cavaliers an evening of frustration, was most emphatic about the pending agreement.

If that's true, I'm ecstatic," he said. "That's the best news I've heard today."

Obstructed_View
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, at least one of the three guys they asked about it was delighted. I know Timmy is pretty unemotional, but "good for them" doesn't qualify as 'delight' to me. :lol

Leetonidas
10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, at least one of the three guys they asked about it was delighted. I know Timmy is pretty unemotional, but "good for them" doesn't qualify as 'delight' to me. :lol

Uh...

I'll be very happy to have them back, and I mean that from my heart.

That sounds quite delightful.

Spursfan 87
10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Duncan misses Joey Crawford

Obstructed_View
10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Uh...

That sounds quite delightful.

Sounds like a self-depracating Joey Crawford joke to me.

TD 21
10-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Roger Mason Jr., who called Friday's 62-foul, 78-free throw game against the Cavaliers an evening of frustration, was most emphatic about the pending agreement.

If that's true, I'm ecstatic," he said. "That's the best news I've heard today."

Maybe I'm reading too much into this statement, but could this be translation for "what the fuck am I doing as essentially the fifth guard and ninth man in the rotation, when all along I had assumed that I'd be, if not starting, then at the very least the 6th man"?

This is just flat out bizarre. To stress defense and then to inexplicably start Bonner and Finley? So much for "getting Timmy help", if he's still going to spend the vast majority of his minutes playing with no help inside, seeing as how McDyess is mysteriously coming off the bench as well and Blair appears to be the 5th big (though with Ratliff's injury history, he'll probably still get a good amount of minutes). The Spurs two best bigs after Duncan are both coming off the bench and their two best shooting guards are as well. It makes no sense.

Way too many lineup issues at play here. Three of the five best perimeter players are coming off the bench and none are small forwards, which means one will always have a difficult match-up defensively and they won't all get the minutes they deserve, either. Finley should be the backup small forward, not only because he's the fourth best wing on the team, but because it offers better balance, because he has the size to theoretically defend most small forwards.

AussieFanKurt
10-20-2009, 08:33 PM
all I want is a league that is not rigged
I want sport not entertainment

Spursmania
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
all I want is a league that is not rigged
I want sport not entertainment

Wouldn't that be refreshing.:toast

Flux451
10-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Joey Crawford is sick of refing soccer games. They will only let him be a line's man.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Maybe I'm reading too much into this statement, but could this be translation for "what the fuck am I doing as essentially the fifth guard and ninth man in the rotation, when all along I had assumed that I'd be, if not starting, then at the very least the 6th man"?

This is just flat out bizarre. To stress defense and then to inexplicably start Bonner and Finley?

Not sure how often Mason is a sure-fire upgrade over Finley on the defensive end of the floor. Fin's an excellent defender when motivated to do so. Kind of makes me sad Jerry Stackhouse hasn't signed with anyone, as Fin always seems to get up to play him.

TIMMYD!
10-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Tim's happy but I bet he doesn't want Joey Crawford back.