PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs to union refs: Welcome back! (Also: Pointedly Manu)

duncan228
10-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Spurs to union refs: Welcome back! (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_to_union_refs_Welcome_back.html)
Mike Monroe

AUSTIN — Reports that the NBA and the referees union have an agreement in principle to end the league's lockout of the officials was greeted enthusiastically by Spurs players before Tuesday night's preseason game against the Oklahoma City Thunder at the Erwin Center.

The New York Times reported the agreement on Tuesday, indicating the union's 57 members will vote on the contract Friday. If the deal is ratified, as expected, the veteran whistle tooters will be back on the court in time for the league's regular season openers.

“If the officials have reached an agreement, good for them,” Spurs captain Tim Duncan said. “I'll be very happy to have them back, and I mean that from my heart.”

While Spurs players have lauded the effort of the replacement referees, they made it clear they will be happy to have the regular refs, even some with which they have had problems, back on the court.

“You don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone,” said forward Antonio McDyess, one of three Spurs who began the 1995-96 regular season with replacement referees during the last lockout. “I remember playing those games in 1995. We couldn't wait for the regular refs to get back.”

Roger Mason Jr., who called the 62-foul, 78-free throw game against the Cavaliers on Friday a frustrating experience for players, coaches and fans, seemed especially thrilled.

“That's the best news I've heard today,” he said. “No disrespect to the replacement officials. They gave a great effort, for sure. But they want the best players in the world, and they need the best referees in the world.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich reacted to the news with indifference.

“OK,” Popovich said. “Whatever they do, they do. Let's start the season.”

Pointedly Manu: Manu Ginobili had his longest stint of the preseason, logging nearly 23 minutes, many of them played at point guard.

Ginobili responded with his best game of the preseason, scoring seven points and handing out five assists. He took only two shots, both of them 3-pointers, and made one.

Popovich got precisely the sort of response he wanted from Ginobili's stint at point guard.

“I thought Manu had his best night,” he said. “He had a couple of errant passes, but that's why we put him at the point for a while, so he would have to make decisions and try to split pick-and-rolls and make passes out of it.

“That's what he needs. That's the last thing — that rhythm, that confidence, those fine points. So that was his best outing, in that regard, tonight.”

BronxCowboy
10-21-2009, 08:48 AM
“OK,” Popovich said. “Whatever they do, they do. Let's start the season.”

:tu