PDA

View Full Version : Blair in ROY buzz..

raspsa
10-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Funny, they think Blair will play Center.. anyway, its nice that he's getting recognition.:toast

Britt Robson INSIDE THE NBA
Progress report on young big men; more preseason observations

If any center is going to win Rookie of the Year (and it's a long shot), it will be San Antonio's DeJuan Blair, a second-round steal. The 6-7 low-post banger has followed up his eye-opening summer-league play with a strong preseason for the Spurs, averaging 14.2 points (on 61.4 percent shooting) and 7.8 rebounds in only 18.6 minutes. Even though San Antonio has a talent-laden roster and a championship-or-bust mind-set, Blair is earning the right to minutes in the rotation and will help ease Tim Duncan's workload.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/britt_robson/10/20/big.men.notes/index.html

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2009, 02:52 AM
14.2 7.8 would get him ROY if he was drafted the year yao/amares class, those were weak numbers that year.....

the other rookies this year drafted on 1 man teams, have a better chance than blair, but blair will be winning a championship ring > ROY

AussieFanKurt
10-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Blair will obviously be in top 10 and maybe top 5, but somehow I dont see him winning the prize. WE can pretty much give it to Blake now

Muser
10-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Blake will win it, guys awesome.

AussieFanKurt
10-21-2009, 07:10 AM
He is off the richter with skills and tools for a prime NBA player

Solid D
10-21-2009, 09:10 AM
The SI article should include Tim Duncan in his big men list. Of course he plays Center.

As far as Blair goes, he won't get the minutes to get ROY but after seeing him up close last night in Austin, words don't do DeJuan justice. Uncanny, magnetic, & inspiring all rolled into one package. Magnetic describes his hands, too.

Spursmania
10-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Griffin will win ROY and deservedly so if he continues playing the way he is.
Seems like a humble guy too. We'll see...

Spursmania
10-21-2009, 09:23 AM
The SI article should include Tim Duncan in his big men list. Of course he plays Center.

As far as Blair goes, he won't get the minutes to get ROY but after seeing him up close last night in Austin, words don't do DeJuan justice. Uncanny, magnetic, & inspiring all rolled into one package. Magnetic describes his hands, too.

So, I take it you enjoyed the game?:lol
Did you notice Pop talking to Blair after Blair dunked the ball? In post game interview, Pop apparently seemed to be telling Blair he was showboating.

But it seems that Blair is so intense that just the way he plays!

SpurCharger
10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Griffin Has The ROY In The Bag, Unless He Gets Hurt.....

Allanon
10-21-2009, 09:32 AM
ROY and runner-ups:

1. Tyreke Evans
2. Blake Griffin
3. Johnny Flynn
4. Brandon Jennings
5. Dejuan Blair

Tyreke edges out Blake unless Blake gets the Clippers into the Playoffs.

Tyreke plays for the Kings and Blake Griffin plays for the Clips, they're more of the focus on their team while Blair plays off the bench. I'm not even sure Pop will give him enough minutes for him to qualify.

Dex
10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
I think Griffin runs away with it.

Blair would probably warrant some discussions of it if he continues to play at the pace he has in preseason, but I (unfortunately) just don't see him getting the minutes.

Maybe he comes out and plays so well that Pop is forced to keep him on the court. He's definitely giving it the coach something to think about.

Solid D
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
So, I take it you enjoyed the game?:lol
Did you notice Pop talking to Blair after Blair dunked the ball? In post game interview, Pop apparently seemed to be telling Blair he was showboating.

But it seems that Blair is so intense that just the way he plays!

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. The fans in the Austin area probably didn't realize they would get to see so many regular rotation players getting major minutes in an exhibition game. Only 10,298 at the game and I'm surprised it was that many people. The upper level was almost empty.

No, I didn't notice Pop talking to Blair but there were a couple of dunks he made that he needed to flush it due to defenders near him. I doubt Pop honestly thinks Blair was showboating. It's basketball entertainment.

tlongIII
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Bull Spit! One of these years Oden is going to win ROY!

Muser
10-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Has a second rounder ever won RoY?

Allanon
10-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Has a second rounder ever won RoY?

Not as far as I can tell, I don't really know the names before 85.

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_rookieofyear.html

ps. On a sidenote, that young Big Men article is biased as hell. No mention of Andrew Bynum even though he's #3 in the NBA with 20ppg. Bynum's even younger than Roy Hibbert who did make the list.

SenorSpur
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Until the season actually starts and until it becomes clear how Pop will use him and what type of regular minutes Blair gets, any ROY talk for on Blair would be premature.

picnroll
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Solid D how did Blair's D look?

lefty
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
That's it, SI has jinxed us

Riverwalkman
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Griffin will be Rookie Of the Year, Blair will be Ripper Of the Year.

Solid D
10-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Solid D how did Blair's D look?

Fantastic. He's instant energy. Tractor beam hands and he finishes what he starts most of the time. His defense needs some work. It's tough to back him down but opposing bigs can shoot over him. He had very active hands though and the 3 steals bore that out. Right now, that's what he has defensively: rebounds and dislodging the ball or stealing it.

Offensively he looks like Moses Barkley, if you catch my drift.

picnroll
10-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Maybe Blair can develop Karl Malone's wrist breaking, slap down steals.

Trainwreck2100
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
he was a projected lottery pick so I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a manu and get 3 ROY votes

porksword
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
How has James Harden looked in the pre-season? Harvest season up here in the northern midwest and haven't caught much NBA preseason stuff.

Allanon
10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
How has James Harden looked in the pre-season? Harvest season up here in the northern midwest and haven't caught much NBA preseason stuff.

James Harden has looked great probably #7 or #8 rookie right now. He's still obviously a rookie but he's a player you can build a team with. He's gotta work on his shot a bit or maybe it was just the jitters.

Between Durant, Green, Westbrook and Harden, you have some of the top NBA talents down the road.

HarlemHeat37
10-21-2009, 12:22 PM
They still desperately need a big man..a real big man, not Green..

Allanon
10-21-2009, 12:23 PM
They still desperately need a big man..a real big man, not Green..

Yup...they have two jump shooting bigs in Green and Krstic. And they need a bench too.

Blackjack
10-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Krstic and Collison are pretty decent, and from the little I've seen and from what I heard last night, they might have a player in Ibaka..

Manufan909
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
So which dunk did Pop apparently talk to Blair about, the fast break slam or the other one?

Blackjack
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I really like both Durant and Green but they're both 3's.

I like Westbrook and Sefolosha -- the latter would make a great Spur:hat -- because of the way they can compliment a scorer like Durant, but the mix just seems a bit off for long-term success at the highest level.

Durant's never going to be a stellar defender, so they need blue-collar, defensive bigs more than offensively-talented ones.

They do have a lot of solid talent and pieces that if the mix just isn't quite right, they've at least got the assets to go out and aquire the right pieces.

I like what Presti's done for the most part.

Agloco
10-21-2009, 12:38 PM
ROY is all about absolute numbers, not relative. Griffin is going to get the minutes he needs to post the numbers he needs. If Griffin averaged 20 and 10 in 34 minutes, and Blair averaged 12 and 7 in 17 minutes, Griffin would win it anyways.

Blackjack
10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
So which dunk did Pop apparently talk to Blair about, the fast break slam or the other one?

I'm not sure if it was actually a dunk; I remember hearing that DeJuan demonstratively, and unnecessarily, pinned the ball up against the backboard after a rebound; he put a little mustard on the hot dog, if you will.

Manufan909
10-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure if it was actually a dunk; I remember hearing that DeJuan demonstratively, and unnecessarily, pinned the ball up against the backboard after a rebound; he put a little mustard on the hot dog, if you will.

Thanks, I understand Dejuan's interview now. Since earlier someone had made it seem as if Pop got after Blair for a dunk, I tried to apply that to Blair's interview. I wish I could have seen Blair do that, hi is a straight pimp. I'm in love, no homo though.:D

lefty
10-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Blair will average 6.5 arms per game.

No other rookie will come close.

Kool Bob Love
10-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Griffin will be Rookie Of the Year,

Yup...

Wwe58PWcsy4

DAMN!!!

Manufan909
10-21-2009, 03:03 PM
I want the mag in your sig lefty!!!

lefty
10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't have it

Sorry :D

bigfan
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
In the words of Mr Wolf, "lets not start....." you know the rest

tlongIII
10-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Bull Spit! One of these years Oden is going to win ROY!

This might be the year that Oden wins it. Too bad he is on the wrong team now.

Budkin
10-01-2013, 05:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oSzUSCW.jpg

dmon35
10-04-2013, 03:03 AM

right click "save as"

look_at_g_shred
10-04-2013, 08:46 AM
/thread