PDA

View Full Version : what seems to be going on with Roger Mason Jr...

bless1187
10-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Do u guys think that he's going to be coming of the bench or starting. I always expected him to be the starting SG coming into this year; i know its just a preseason game but Pop did say before last nights game that he's going to start solidifying the rotation, and last night's game was probably what Pop had in mind for his rotation.

I'm actually one of the few in here that don't think there's much difference between R. Mason Jr and M. Finley, both are just spot up shooters with mediocre D. They both lack the quickness on D but M. Finley does have more size and strength to match up with the bigger SG and SF in this league. So on Defense, its easier for R. Jefferson and M. Finley to inter-change between who to guard... for example if we are matched up against the Lakers, R. Jefferson on Kobe and M. Finley rather than R. Mason on R. Artest...

HarlemHeat37
10-21-2009, 06:39 PM
He's just in a slump..

I personally think Mason is better than Finley due to his ability to shoot off the dribble and utilize the pick and roll shot(Finley has no ability at all to shoot after he takes a dribble, it has been pretty much an automatic missed shot the last 2-3 years), but they are both pretty much the same player..Mason is also a better shooter in general..

As I've said before, there's no reason to have BOTH on the roster IMO, I'd rather make room for Hairston..I doubt Pop ever trades Finley though, so we'll see what happens with Mason..I'm sure he'll get more time once he gets his shot going again..Finley picking up his option made it complicated..

jason1301
10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't mind having both on our team. Fin will be a valuable player coming off the bench.

BillMc
10-21-2009, 06:43 PM
It is an interesting question. I think Roger probably will be starting, if only, because Manu is still coming along slowly and even when he's 100% (if he ever is again) he'll still be off the bench.

The other question to me is will Roger be in at crunch time? I suspect our crunch time team will be TD, TP, RJ, Manu, and McDyees or Blair (if he continues to develop.) Obviously, if we need a 3 Fin, Roger and Bonner may replace some of these.

It's a contract year, so Roger won't be happy if his time gets cut!

Mel_13
10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
He's just in a slump..

I personally think Mason is better than Finley due to his ability to shoot off the dribble and utilize the pick and roll shot(Finley has no ability at all to shoot after he takes a dribble, it has been pretty much an automatic missed shot the last 2-3 years), but they are both pretty much the same player..Mason is also a better shooter in general..

As I've said before, there's no reason to have BOTH on the roster IMO, I'd rather make room for Hairston..I doubt Pop ever trades Finley though, so we'll see what happens with Mason..I'm sure he'll get more time once he gets his shot going again..Finley picking up his option made it complicated..

Ain't that the truth.

Agloco
10-21-2009, 06:56 PM
He's just in a slump..

Ain't that the truth.

You just knew he would though. We were hoping against hope.

At any rate, it creates a unique situation of having two deadly shooters off the bench at any given time. Been a while since the Spurs had these sorts of problems.

If only we had one too many shotblockers as well......

DPG21920
10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Finley can shoot off of 1 dribble. Especially going to his left. He does it with pretty good success as well.

PDXSpursFan
10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Both Mason & Finley suck. Ginobili should start.

phyzik
10-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I honestly think it doesnt matter to them who starts, its the minutes that count. Its just going to depend on the matchups and the situation during the game IMHO.

We now have the luxury of deciding who to put in depending on how they are playing. If someone is hot and another is not, you put in the player thats hot.

mystargtr34
10-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I would think Mason will be continue to start, but only play 15-18 minutes a night. He is still comfortably the best shooter of all the wings and guards, and he meshes well with the first team.

Finley has a slight case of the Matt Bonner virus around here. Playing so many minutes last season, because of injuries, magnified his weaknesses - he simply hasnt got the ability to play more than 15 minutes a night, and be beneficial to a team, because opponents exploit him on the defensive end.

But as a 10 minute a night guy he can still give the team something with his shooting. There will be moments in games when an opponent doesnt have a dominant scorer in the game at the 2-3 position, and he can come in and be effective shooting the ball, and help the team. I think its safe to expect a limited role for him this year, and i think he can still add something.

Mr.Robinson
10-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Mason is the perfect player to play along side Duncan. He can flat out shoot.

narmerguy
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I'd like to see Mason be used as the starter to increase his trade value, and then have him get packaged out at the deadline. I trust Finley WAY more in crunch time than RMJ, and rightfully so. RMJ folded in the playoffs completely, and Finley has hit some tremendous shots for us. Proof is in the pudding.

Are you serious? Mason may not have delivered in the playoffs but then again, who did? It's easy for Finley to look good in the past playoffs when the rest of his team is doing well. Mason didn't have that luxury. Also, Mason hit some BIG shots in the regular season. I'm talking 4 seconds or less on the clock. He can hit big shots.

think its safe to expect a limited role for him this year, and i think he can still add something.

Yeah one would think that but then again...it's Pop.

Flux451
10-21-2009, 08:22 PM
If fin keeps up the good play and pop goes goo goo over him.
Manu stays healthy.
Hill keeps beasting.
Mason may not be seeing much PT.

ElNono
10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I doubt Manu will play many back to back games, strictly as a precautionary measure. I think Mason will have plenty of playing time in those games.

Flux451
10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I doubt Manu will play many back to back games, strictly as a precautionary measure. I think Mason will have plenty of playing time in those games.

good point.

Let's just freeze dry manu till two months before the playoffs.

pawe
10-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Honestly, I think Finley will be starting over RMJ. I dont think Pop will leave GHill running the point by himself so he's gonna pair him up with RMJ so the other team cant press.

thOOdee
10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
just put bonner in their for the length, that way pop will be happy.

parker
jefferson
bonner
duncan
dice

BillMc
10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
good point.

Let's just freeze dry manu till two months before the playoffs.
+1 (and funny as hell!)

holcs50
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I really am over going into anymore rants about Mason so I'll just say he's a shitty player for multiple reasons and should get no more than 15 mpg. Also, if Bonner plays more than 10mpg im going to vomit

SequSpur
10-21-2009, 10:22 PM
RMJ won more games than PJ Carlisimo did last year...by himself...

he better start.

Baseline
10-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Finley's 5-5 from three-range in last night's game was the worst thing that could possibly happen. The guy doesn't need to be on the floor.

First of all, hitting that many threes will not happen the rest of the season, and we know he'll get scorched on defense in every game. It has happened for the last two years, and will be even worse this year.

The reason Mason lost weight over the summer is because he knows Finley is done. If Mason is ready, he'll get big minutes.

I know Pop loves finley, and that Pop is stubborn, but he'll figure out by December that Finley will be so bad this year he won't have the option to play him.

SequSpur
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
there is nothing wrong with finley...wtf?

Solid D
10-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Mace looked good last night. He was very aggressive working around ball screens and his shot looked excellent. My guess is that Pop starts RJ at 3, brings Gino off the bench and then, based on matchups...starts either Mace or Fin at the 2. RJ will defend the best wing player.

VI_Massive
10-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Mace looked good last night. He was very aggressive working around ball screens and his shot looked excellent. My guess is that Pop starts RJ at 3, brings Gino off the bench and then, based on matchups...starts either Mace or Fin at the 2. RJ will defend the best wing player.

Agreed. I think RMJ and Fin are competing for the starting 2 slot. And given Pop's affinity for Finley, I think he may win out.

raspsa
10-22-2009, 12:23 AM
The Spurs are going to need every scoring option. Not everyone will be hot on any given night. In the past, with a less talented bench, the Spurs would go thru scoring droughts.. unfortunately the defense can't always compensate and the team finds itself in a hole. This current Spurs team is loaded with offensive weapons.. they just have to develop some chemistry and stay healthy.. can't overemphasize the latter.. and of course, get back to playing SPurs defense.. Pop and all the players have made a point of stressing the importance of playing D.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2009, 12:57 AM
He's just in a slump..

That's the problem when he's off from the perimeter he brings nothing else to the table.

I disagree Finley can shoot off the dribble whenever the defenders close out fast and leave their feet. This is when Finley usually takes one or two dribbles and pulls up. Or on dribble hand offs going to his left off Tim's pinch post on the elbow.

And about Mason in the pick and roll. That theory and reasoning is kind of irrelevant because of the fact that Mason won't see any where near the pick and roll opportunities he saw last season with the decreasing minutes and touches because of our additions this off-season.

I agree that Pop will never trade Finley unless its a Barry to Seattle type of deal where he comes back 30 days later. I also agree that making room for Hairston as the 4th or 5th wing is the smart thing to do. Mason is in a tough situation. A situation to where packaging him in a deal at the deadline seems like the most logical if everyone is healthy.

Here's my reasoning for this :

1. If Spurs are healthy and even if Manu has an average season, Spurs will then have the dilemna of resigning him to 7-10 million a year however much it will be I figure that seems the most logical and realistic.

2. After resigning Manu they will have the Splitter dilemna and figure out how much of the MLE it will take to bring Splitter into fold.

3. Mason's value is around the MLE right now or 4.5-6.5 million roughly. Spurs would be over the luxury with the Manu and Splitter signing meaning Mason would cost the Spurs 9-13 million a year instead. Not good business considering we have Hairston for the minimum the next three years waiting in the wings salivating and deserving playing time at the same position.

I think Mason is a great shooter in his own right. I just think whenever we traded for RJ, and Finley picked up his option it put Mason in a bad position for playing time because of the same things him and Finley bring to the table and because it's his contract year. It made the Spurs a much better team, but made Mason's situation a tough one.

Mason is a great guy and a great man in the community in San Antonio but sometimes good business is good business and Spurs would be wise to package him in a deal at the deadline to get something in return for now and the future. Someone like Nocioni comes to mind. Or Camby if McDyess or Ratliff go down with an injury.