PDA

View Full Version : Scoring with Hispanics

duncan228
10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Scoring with Hispanics (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/65354917.html)
By William Pack - Express-News

The NBA is taking a more comprehensive approach to building its Hispanic fan base, and San Antonio will be right in the middle of it.

The new marketing campaign called éne-bé-a will feature San Antonio Spurs fan favorite Manu Ginobili in its promotions, much of which is being designed in San Antonio by Bromley Communications.

“We're absolutely thrilled to have the business,” said Jessica Pantanini, Bromley's chief operating officer. “People need to be aware of the excitement and the potential for them to participate in the sport. We want them playing it and going to games and watching it on television and going online.”

While neither the NBA nor Bromley would disclose the size of the contract, NBA Commissioner David Stern called it a “several-million-dollar campaign” that both consolidates existing outreach efforts and expands those activities with radio and television advertising and a Web site aimed at Hispanic audiences.

Merchandising, including a T-shirt containing the éne-bé-a brand, also will be available.

“Our marketing department advised me it's time to take the next step,” said Stern.

The league's appeal has been growing in the Latino community, and Stern called the marketing campaign “an accelerant we're using to grow it even more.”

The NBA currently estimates about 15 percent of its fan base is Hispanic. But with Hispanics expected to make up about 30 percent of the U.S. population by 2050, the league wants to make sure its appeal grows along with the population.

The marketing campaign “engages the fan base we currently have, while building the fan base long term,” said Saskia Sorrosa, the NBA's senior director of U.S. Hispanic marketing.

The new campaign will consolidate a variety of marketing efforts that already existed piecemeal throughout the league — television and radio broadcasts of NBA games in Spanish, in-arena programs including Noche Latina events in March that feature special team uniforms with Spanish-tinged names and community activities like one that renovates basketball courts in Hispanic neighborhoods.

Bromley has been developing the advertising in both English and Spanish that began with short teaser ads during pre-season games Monday. Thirty-second éne-bé-a spots will be broadcast on opening day next Tuesday.

Pantanini said Ginobili, a Spurs guard from Argentina, will be used in the advertising along with some of the 24 other NBA players with Latin American or Spanish ties.

Also appearing will be NBA stars from the United States and elsewhere who have universal appeal. Sorrosa said Hispanic fans have an emotional connection with Hispanic players but also love established stars from the United States and the campaign will recognize that.

Latino fans, while not expecting special treatment, do want to know “that you understand me, you get me,” Pantanini said. The marketing campaign attempts to do that under a brand that reflects how the “NBA” is said in Spanish.

She said Bromley's insights into the Hispanic marketplace should help the league accomplish its goals.

NBA launches campaign to reach Hispanic fans

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136953

Fpoonsie
10-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Misleading title. I was just about to take notes.

TIMMYD!
10-21-2009, 08:41 PM

:lol:lol

TacoCabanaFajitas
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Tequilla, lots of lime.

urunobili
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
We hispanics prefer Kobe & Dwight speaking spanish than Manu... :stirpot:

Allanon
10-21-2009, 08:44 PM

:lol Was thinking the same thing.

ThePop
10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
hehe. misleading title indeed

mexpurs21
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
To celebratie latino heritage month can we get jerseys that say
Timoteo Duncan
Antonio Parker
Miguel Finley
Rogelio Mason and
Teodoro Ratliff???

NASpurs
10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
As a Hispanic/Latino whatever they classified us as, I find that "Los" in front of the team's name embarrassing. If you're going to do that, at least change it into "Las Espuelas" or something. In fact just don't do it. I don't care to celebrate my ethnic/cultural group by having such lame attempts to reach for more money from our pockets. Put a good product out and I'll give you my money.

TIMMYD!
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Timoteo Duncan
Antonio Parker
Miguel Finley
Rogelio Mason and
Teodoro Ratliff???

That sounds badass.

mazerrackham
10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Timoteo Duncan
Antonio Parker
Miguel Finley
Rogelio Mason and
Teodoro Ratliff???

you forgot Jorge Hill

SequSpur
10-21-2009, 10:25 PM
stupid....

10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
i was entering this thread to post the exact thing :lol

Methodmusicman
10-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I thot an insight from karl malone would be appropriate here....

Nathan Explosion
10-23-2009, 09:28 PM
:lol Was thinking the same thing.

You could have the girl in your sig do the Hispanic spots. After all, Alba is a spanish surname.

daslicer
10-24-2009, 10:49 AM
you forgot Jorge Hill

Add Ricardo Jefferson to the list.

panic giraffe
10-24-2009, 11:18 AM
de juanito?

Bukefal
10-24-2009, 04:13 PM

:lol exactly

easy7
10-24-2009, 04:34 PM
No scoring with Hispanic chicks? :p:

gospursgojas
10-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Add Ricardo Jefferson to the list.

Don't forget Mateo Bon-dejo

TIMMYD!
10-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Allanon's sig is tasty (Jessica only).

bigbendbruisebrother
10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Tequilla, lots of lime.

I've found that keeping a pair of jumper cables handy doesn't hurt either.