PDA

View Full Version : What Does Blair Have to Do to Start??

BillMc
10-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Once the regular season starts Blair will be coming off the bench. What sort of numbers per minute or display of defensive mastery will be enough to put him in the starting lineup and/or crunch time?

This is not a comment on Pop and playing rookies. He'll play them if they're good enough (see Tim and Tony). It's what, do you feel, Blair will have to show to generally warrant a starting spot? To prove he's our second best big bar none.

VI_Massive
10-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Grow six inches?

urunobili
10-21-2009, 09:27 PM
double double averages in 20 min would give himt he spot and put him in contention for ROY...

DPG21920
10-21-2009, 09:28 PM
He has to have 30 threads started about him.

mookie2001
per minute rofl

bugoy
average 20/15

BillMc
10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
He has to have 30 threads started about him.

Then, I suspect, he's already a Hall Of Famer! :)

mookie2001
10-21-2009, 09:30 PM
per minute though

jason1301
10-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Blair has two things going against him; hitting the rookie wall, and his knees.

I am guessing Pop will monitor his minutes to have him 100% during playoffs. He will play big minutes during regular season and there will be games where he ll start but, on average i don't expect him to play over 20-25min per game.

SouthTexasRancher
10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Once the regular season starts Blair will be coming off the bench. What sort of numbers per minute or display of defensive mastery will be enough to put him in the starting lineup and/or crunch time?

This is not a comment on Pop and playing rookies. He'll play them if they're good enough (see Tim and Tony). It's what, do you feel, Blair will have to show to generally warrant a starting spot? To prove he's our second best big bar none.

You don't want Blair starting. The energy he, Manu, Hill, and Theo will bring us off the bench will be something to watch. Blocking, rebounding, stealing and causing all kinds of hell for the opposing team will be fun to watch. Pop had it right with last night's starters. Finley and Bonner are almost worthless when they sit after warmups. Those two can catch fire early and if they are throwing up bricks Pop pulls them and inserts Manu, Mason, Blair, etc. jmho

Follow up: Dice will play smart ball whereas Blair will make his fair share of rookie mistakes and as a result Pop will hold him back to a degree so he doesn't lose confidence. Blair has a great future ahead of him. No need to rush things just yet. And he'll get some playing time with Tim on the floor at the same time. I just hope Blair doesn't rip Timmy's arm off.

All is good in Spurs Land!

xellos88330
10-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree with rancher.

He should come off of the bench. DeJuan Blair is not lacking in the skills department, but it would be best for the team for him to bring his abilities off of the bench.

Can a bench player be ROY???

peskypesky
10-21-2009, 09:44 PM
You don't want Blair starting. The energy he, Manu, Hill, and Theo will bring us off the bench will be something to watch. Blocking, rebounding, stealing and causing all kinds of hell for the opposing team will be fun to watch. Pop had it right with last night's starters. Finley and Bonner are almost worthless when they sit after warmups. Those two can catch fire early and if they are throwing up bricks Pop pulls them and inserts Manu, Mason, Blair, etc. jmho

But that's the PROBLEM. Pop doesn't pull them when they're sucking. He's too stubborn.

What Blair needs to do is break Bonner in practice. It's that simple.

SouthTexasRancher
10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I agree with rancher.

He should come off of the bench. DeJuan Blair is not lacking in the skills department, but it would be best for the team for him to bring his abilities off of the bench.

Can a bench player be ROY???

Yes...especially if he is getting double doubles at the rate Blair is. Outside of Manu, he'd have a chance at the Sixth Man Award as well. But, Manu would have to start and I think Pop wants to have Manu coming off the bench for his energy and experience with 3 or 4 new guys along side and Pop is going to monitor Manu's minutes/ankles the first couple of months. JMHO

BillMc
10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Okay, interesting thoughts all... but what would Blair have to do to stay in at crunch time? Would you break up Duncan, Parker, Manu, Jefferson and McDyees (replace 1 player with Bonner/Finley/Mason if we're down 3) and insert Blair?

Close ball game, what's he got to show you (the fans) that he's one of the "crunchtime 5"???

coyotes_geek
10-21-2009, 09:55 PM
He's got to outplay Antonio McDyess. Simple as that.

SouthTexasRancher
10-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Exactly!!!

Em-City
10-21-2009, 09:58 PM
get experience and demonstrate consistency

Riverwalkman
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Get traded.

SouthTexasRancher
Okay, interesting thoughts all... but what would Blair have to do to stay in at crunch time? Would you break up Duncan, Parker, Manu, Jefferson and McDyees (replace 1 player with Bonner/Finley/Mason if we're down 3) and insert Blair?

Close ball game, what's he got to show you (the fans) that he's one of the "crunchtime 5"???

I can definitely see Blair getting lots of 4th qtr. playing time. He is going to just keep getting better. That young man loves the game too much not to make an impact in crunch time.

It's funny how just a few months ago we wished we had anyone to play in crunch time. Now we have the good kind of problem. I trust Pop to do the right thing.

peskypesky
Exactly!!!

so y'all think McDyess will start over Bonner? I hope so.

SouthTexasRancher
10-21-2009, 10:02 PM
so y'all think McDyess will start over Bonner? I hope so.

Starting is not the big thing in the NBA...it's finishing. I think Pop and crew are still experimenting some and it'll probably be that way for the first month since we have so many new guys.

Phenomanul
10-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Hypnotize coach Pop....

My Fault
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Doesn't really matter what fans say... Plus he's a rookie and there's no way he takes Dice's spot. Dice knows how to close a game and win. Blair won't in his rookie season. Seriously tho people are going over board with the Blair suckfest/threads

Spursmania
10-21-2009, 10:09 PM

Follow up: Dice will play smart ball whereas Blair will make his fair share of rookie mistakes and as a result Pop will hold him back to a degree so he doesn't lose confidence. Blair has a great future ahead of him. No need to rush things just yet. And he'll get some playing time with Tim on the floor at the same time. I just hope Blair doesn't rip Timmy's arm off.

Agree Rancher with not wanting Blair to start. He needs time to mature and develop. And Blair will be an instant energy guy off the bench like Manu. What a great season this will be.:toast

Spursmania
10-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing more Timmy and Dice working together.

ElNono
10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
He needs to do whatever Finley did last season... :lol

007nites
10-21-2009, 10:16 PM
For Blair's first season I think it will be better having him come off the bench because in this way he will be more hungry. If we start Blair right off the bat he may get to comfortable and he may lose his hungriness right away.

SequSpur
10-21-2009, 10:26 PM
For Blair's first season I think it will be better having him come off the bench because in this way he will be more hungry. If we start Blair right off the bat he may get to comfortable and he may lose his hungriness right away.

hungriness?

Have you ever watched Blair play at Pitt? He started there...he frickin demolished teams...

raspsa
10-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Gift Pop a bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafite.. should do the trick.

NRHector
10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Pop's eyes, mind and heart belong to Finley

peskypesky
10-21-2009, 11:24 PM

i think we should try the same strategy with Duncan.

SpurNation
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM

From what I've seen thus far...he's close to doing that already.

But I agree with your point.

And to elude to the OP...It's quite possible that in the progression of things...Blair could start in certain situations depending on match ups and schedule.

Allanon
10-22-2009, 01:17 AM
He needs to suck Pop's d, never mind, Finley and Bonner obviously already got that covered.

EricB
10-22-2009, 02:00 AM

Hope Manu Ginobili gets hurt?

TDMVPDPOY
10-22-2009, 02:03 AM
break bonners knees

or blair growing 30cm

will_spurs
10-22-2009, 02:58 AM
What's with the obsession about starting? Is it more important to start and get 5mpg, or not to start and play 30mpg? Seriously, who gives a shit about that?

I hope Blair gets 15-20mpg regularly at first to see what he can do and develop. Regular season is a 82-game long training camp, let's see if he's ready for the postseason at the end of the grind.

TJastal
10-22-2009, 04:15 AM
What's with the obsession about starting? Is it more important to start and get 5mpg, or not to start and play 30mpg? Seriously, who gives a shit about that?

I hope Blair gets 15-20mpg regularly at first to see what he can do and develop. Regular season is a 82-game long training camp, let's see if he's ready for the postseason at the end of the grind.

As was the case last year, when Bonner would miss his first 2-3 shots 90% of the time Pop would leave him in there. Occasionally it paid off but most of the time if Bonner starts cold he stays cold. I think Pop is reluctant to pull a starter, is the reason he doesn't get pulled.

This would all too often put the spurs in a hole early, and with Bonner taking (and missing) a bulk of the shots left them almost always with an early defecit and nobody else in any kind of offensive rhthym to boot.

Because Bonner's 3pt shooting is unreliable, and by learning to depend on it, the spurs are depending on fool's gold. When his shooting touch dissappears suddenly at critical times (like it did last year) the whole team is fucked.

As far as Blair's minutes, I don't see why Pop should hold him back, he's done nothing but produce big numbers. If his knees are destined to give out at some point in his career the spurs might as well get the most out of him now.
Of course, since Popovich loves relying on Bonner's gimmick 3pt shooting all fucking game long we'll probably have to watch Grizzly Blair warm the bench for much of the season.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2009, 04:38 AM

Defense is where he's going to show the coaching staff whether or not he's deserving of minutes, let alone a starting job. If he exhibits any "defensive mastery" against NBA opposition at this point in his development he's going to be in the rotation.

AussieFanKurt
10-22-2009, 04:39 AM
He wont start, its as simple as that

Snaq O'Meal
10-22-2009, 05:25 AM

Blair competes for minutes against Bonner, not Finley. Thus, he'll have to replicate Bonner's defense, rebounding and clutch shooting when the pressure mounts.

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 06:37 AM
As was the case last year, when Bonner would miss his first 2-3 shots 90% of the time Pop would leave him in there. Occasionally it paid off but most of the time if Bonner starts cold he stays cold. I think Pop is reluctant to pull a starter, is the reason he doesn't get pulled.

This would all too often put the spurs in a hole early, and with Bonner taking (and missing) a bulk of the shots left them almost always with an early defecit and nobody else in any kind of offensive rhthym to boot.

Because Bonner's 3pt shooting is unreliable, and by learning to depend on it, the spurs are depending on fool's gold. When his shooting touch dissappears suddenly at critical times (like it did last year) the whole team is fucked.

As far as Blair's minutes, I don't see why Pop should hold him back, he's done nothing but produce big numbers. If his knees are destined to give out at some point in his career the spurs might as well get the most out of him now.
Of course, since Popovich loves relying on Bonner's gimmick 3pt shooting all fucking game long we'll probably have to watch Grizzly Blair warm the bench for much of the season.

I call BS.

Bonner started 67 games last year.

The play-by-play game logs are available at espn.com and other sites.

Prove there is any validity to your recollections. Go ahead and find all these games with first quarter deficits that can be tied to a Bonner cold spell and a Pop reluctance to pull him. Given Bonner's +/- numbers, I think you will find you can't do it.

You want to spew your Bonner hate or your Pop hate, feel free. I won't be the one challenging you. When you attempt to prove your hate is valid by reference to the supposed facts, you'll to need provide some kind of proof beyond your memory.

Otherwise, it's BS.

AussieFanKurt
10-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Blair competes for minutes against Bonner, not Finley. Thus, he'll have to replicate Bonner's defense, rebounding and clutch shooting when the pressure mounts.

:lol
could be hard on 3 point shooting

silverblackfan
10-22-2009, 07:17 AM
I have to agree that the Rookie wall, rookie mistakes, lack of height, and just learning the team are all major reasons to keep Blair coming off the bench. Never mind the fact that Dice is the better player.
One thing you can count on is that Pop recognizes how much energy he brings off the bench, which other than Manu, as been a problem in past years. Now with Manu, Hill, Blair, Theo and (insert high % shooter here) as the second unit you will put a serious ego-shattering hurt on other teams benches.
I am looking forward to more opponent coaches having to leave their stars on the floor longer just to try and keep it close. THAT will pay huge dividends in the 4th.

TJastal
10-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I call BS.

Bonner started 67 games last year.

The play-by-play game logs are available at espn.com and other sites.

Prove there is any validity to your recollections. Go ahead and find all these games with first quarter deficits that can be tied to a Bonner cold spell and a Pop reluctance to pull him. Given Bonner's +/- numbers, I think you will find you can't do it.

You want to spew your Bonner hate or your Pop hate, feel free. I won't be the one challenging you. When you attempt to prove your hate is valid by reference to the supposed facts, you'll to need provide some kind of proof beyond your memory.

Otherwise, it's BS.

I recall many occasions last year wishing Pop would put one of Thomas, Oberto, or Gooden into the game for Bonner. Especially so in the playoffs. I'm not going to sift through the entire season's logs, instead I'll look at the most important 5 games of the post season and evaluate Matt Bonner's performance.

Spurs vs Mavs game 1 LOSS 105-97: 18 minutes, 0-1, ZERO point, ONE rebound, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 4 PF's. Interesting footnote: Michael Finley nailed 5-5 from long range and had the worst (+/-) by far (-20). Evaluation: Bonner provided absolutely zilch in this game, everyone else showed up and posted good numbers except Bonner in this game. You could almost say Bonner singlehandedly lost this game for the spurs, a disgraceful opening game home crushing defeat that set the tone for the rest of the series.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 2 WIN 105-84: 29 mins, 3-9 11 pts, 7 reb (4 offensive), 1 block, 2 turnovers. Evaluation: Bonner had a decent game, shot 3-4 from long range and the contributed to this victory, however everyone else that played posted good to great numbers in this game.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 3 LOSS 88-67: 20 mins: 1-5, 2pts, 0-4 from long range, 4 rebs, 2 steals, 1 block. Another shit game for Bonner, although everyone played like shit in this game.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 4 LOSS 99-90: 22 mins, 0-4, 0pts, 0-3 from long range, 1 rebound, 1 turnover, 4 fouls. Another shit game for Bonner. Other starters did well but bench players sucked too, including Gooden.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 5 LOSS 106-93: 11 mins, 1-4, 2pts, 0-2 from long range, 3 rebounds. Another shit game for Bonner. Only logged 11 minutes in this contest.

So this is what we get from Matt Bonner and Michael Finley in the starting lineup in the playoffs. A 1st round playoff curbstomping to the Mavs.

And now even after spending all that MONEY on free agents and getting a steal in the draft here we are yet again setting sail with Bonner and Finley starting and playing pivotal roles.

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I recall many occasions last year wishing Pop would put one of Thomas, Oberto, or Gooden into the game for Bonner. Especially so in the playoffs. I'm not going to sift through the entire season's logs, instead I'll look at the most important 5 games of the post season and evaluate Matt Bonner's performance.

Spurs vs Mavs game 1 LOSS 105-97: 18 minutes, 0-1, ZERO point, ONE rebound, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 4 PF's. Interesting footnote: Michael Finley nailed 5-5 from long range and had the worst (+/-) by far (-20). Evaluation: Bonner provided absolutely zilch in this game, everyone else showed up and posted good numbers except Bonner in this game. You could almost say Bonner singlehandedly lost this game for the spurs, a disgraceful opening game home crushing defeat that set the tone for the rest of the series.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 2 WIN 105-84: 29 mins, 3-9 11 pts, 7 reb (4 offensive), 1 block, 2 turnovers. Evaluation: Bonner had a decent game, shot 3-4 from long range and the contributed to this victory, however everyone else that played posted good to great numbers in this game.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 3 LOSS 88-67: 20 mins: 1-5, 2pts, 0-4 from long range, 4 rebs, 2 steals, 1 block. Another shit game for Bonner, although everyone played like shit in this game.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 4 LOSS 99-90: 22 mins, 0-4, 0pts, 0-3 from long range, 1 rebound, 1 turnover, 4 fouls. Another shit game for Bonner. Other starters did well but bench players sucked too, including Gooden.

Spurs vs Mavs, game 5 LOSS 106-93: 11 mins, 1-4, 2pts, 0-2 from long range, 3 rebounds. Another shit game for Bonner. Only logged 11 minutes in this contest.

So this is what we get from Matt Bonner and Michael Finley in the starting lineup in the playoffs. A 1st round playoff curbstomping to the Mavs.

And now even after spending all that MONEY on free agents and getting a steal in the draft here we are yet again setting sail with Bonner and Finley starting and playing pivotal roles.

You proved Matt Bonner sucked in the Dallas series. Great job.

Your original post is still BS without factual support.

Snaq O'Meal
10-22-2009, 07:46 AM
could be hard on 3 point shooting

Blair's a hard worker. It's not impossible for him to achieve Bonner's shooting percentage in the playoffs. ;)

Agloco
10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Blair has two things going against him; hitting the rookie wall, and his knees.

I am guessing Pop will monitor his minutes to have him 100% during playoffs. He will play big minutes during regular season and there will be games where he ll start but, on average i don't expect him to play over 20-25min per game.

+1 to both of these.

Be smart with Blair, give him enough minutes to learn the system and improve his game but limit them enough so that he doesn't increase the risk of injury and/or burn out before the real season begins.

As much as I'd like to see him start, I think Pop's approach to him is the right one. Take it slow and make sure you work Blair into NBA shape. You don't wanna wreck your Ferrari going 100, you wanna show it off going 20.

Agloco
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM

Dude has got a chip the size of Texas on his shoulder. He's straight hating on teams who passed him up. His motor never quits and according to McDyess, he's never seen anyone play as hard as Blair does on each and every play. Hunger is not an issue here nor would it be if he started or signed a max contract.

The real danger is burnout. Pop has got to make sure Blair plays with tempered enthusiasm until the playoffs start.

jdev82
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
to start at the 4?
play defense and for fucks sake, block a shot or two
he hasnt blocked a shot yet

Agloco
10-22-2009, 10:17 AM
to start at the 4?
play defense and for fucks sake, block a shot or two

Well, if those are your criteria he's not going to start, period. This might be a newsflash for you, but Blair isn't going to be a big shotblocker in this league. We didn't exactly draft him because he showed upside in that regard.

Spursfan 87
10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
What Does Blair Have to Do to Start??, maybe play a real nba game first.

hater
10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
What Does Blair Have to Do to Start??, maybe play a real nba game first.

+1

why does he have to start??? keep him on the bench. he is explosive off the bench and makes our bench killer.

PDXSpursFan
10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Blair is perfect to provide energy coming off-the bench. Let him be just that.

will_spurs
10-22-2009, 12:57 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Ar7Ua.KdaNhiKcYl9qSUJpOQvLYF?gid=200 9102025

dbestpro
10-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Become Tonya Harding.

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Become Tonya Harding.

There's a group around here who would be delighted to Bonner in this position:

BWTdbPjsBSs

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 03:08 PM
There's a group around here who would be delighted to Bonner in this position:

BWTdbPjsBSs
Yeah, that means more playing time for guys who have skills and BALLS to get rebounds for that matter.

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, that means more playing time for guys who have skills and BALLS to get rebounds for that matter.

Agloco
10-22-2009, 03:15 PM

benefactor
10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
portnoy1 is quickly becoming my new second favorite poster....just barley behind edwin_is_edwina.

Blackjack
10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Tony Harding had BALLS; possibly literally...

mystargtr34
10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Have white skin and a 3 point shot.

SpurCharger
10-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Agreed....Couldnt Have said it better myself.

Manufan909
10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Agreed....Couldnt Have said it better myself.

I don't see Theo bringing much energy. A defensive presence? Hell yes.:flag:

FkLA
10-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Im as pumped about Blair as the next guy, but the dude is 20 yrs old and still has alot to learn...Dice is simply a better player and will start ahead of him. Yall are sleeping on Dice, he'll be huge for us. You have to realize that Blair is a young rook with a chip on his shoulders and that has alot to do with his preseason numbers whereas Dice is a proven vet just going through the motions. Wait till the season starts and people will start falling in love with Dice's game.

completely deck
10-23-2009, 02:13 AM
There's no doubt that Blair is a great player. But when you factor in the fact that he's an unproven rookie (at this point in time), it is only logical that Pop would start a proven vet over him. It's not only the the vet/rookie thing that matters, its the fact that when you coach a team you have to have the right balance of players on the court at every moment of the game, not just the time the starters are in. In simpler terms, you have the explosiveness of Tony Parker, the leadership of Tim Duncan, the defensive and offensive master of Richard Jefferson, (read the next few words very carefully) a 3-point big man who can spread the floor for the above players in Matt Bonner, and the potential explosiveness that Michael Finley can bring. Sure, DeJuan Blair is better than Bonner in a few things, but Bonner has the ability to spread the floor and score absolutely painful 3 point shots to put us ahead. Spreading the floor with 3 point shooters is what whets Pop's whistle, you should know this by now.

Now, mind you, in series where Finley or Bonner might not match up against their opponent, we will see a change in the starting lineup. Just because they start the game does not mean they are obligated to get 30 minutes.

Besides, it's what matters in March and April, not October and November, right?

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2009, 02:43 AM
There's no doubt that Blair is a great player. But when you factor in the fact that he's an unproven rookie (at this point in time), it is only logical that Pop would start a proven vet over him. It's not only the the vet/rookie thing that matters, its the fact that when you coach a team you have to have the right balance of players on the court at every moment of the game, not just the time the starters are in. In simpler terms, you have the explosiveness of Tony Parker, the leadership of Tim Duncan, the defensive and offensive master of Richard Jefferson, (read the next few words very carefully) a 3-point big man who can spread the floor for the above players in Matt Bonner, and the potential explosiveness that Michael Finley can bring. Sure, DeJuan Blair is better than Bonner in a few things, but Bonner has the ability to spread the floor and score absolutely painful 3 point shots to put us ahead. Spreading the floor with 3 point shooters is what whets Pop's whistle, you should know this by now.

Now, mind you, in series where Finley or Bonner might not match up against their opponent, we will see a change in the starting lineup. Just because they start the game does not mean they are obligated to get 30 minutes.

Besides, it's what matters in March and April, not October and November, right?

matt bonner reminds me of sean marks when he was here....:lmao another waste of a roster spot and salary committments