PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs sharp once again after Jefferson addition

duncan228
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
San Antonio Spurs sharp once again after Jefferson addition (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2009-10-21-san-antonio-spurs-richard-jefferson-contenders_N.htm)
By Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY

SAN ANTONIO — Once the San Antonio Spurs traded for forward Richard Jefferson, they went from aging and hobbled to solid challengers to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference.

Last season's first-round playoff loss, the Spurs' earliest postseason exit since 2000? Forget it. Forget the ankle injury that sidelined guard Manu Ginobili for 38 games and the playoffs, and the achy knees that bothered forward Tim Duncan, 33.

"Last year, we went through periods where we really couldn't score that well. We were not very smooth on offense," Ginobili, 32, said. "Tony (Parker) had to carry the load for most of the season and Roger (Mason Jr.) had a good one. But it is hard when you don't have as many options. Hopefully, this year we will."

Acquiring Jefferson, forward DeJuan Blair (in the second round of the draft) and seemingly ageless forward Antonio McDyess (35) has rejuvenated the Spurs. A healthy Ginobili (so far, so good), a slimmer Duncan (giving those high-mileage knees a break) and a roster deep with guards Parker, Mason and Keith Bogans and forwards Matt Bonner and Michael Finley, are positive signs.

Jefferson went from the Milwaukee Bucks, last in the Central Division, to a team that has won four NBA titles in 11 years and made the playoffs in 19 out of the last 20 seasons.

"Even with all the injuries and nagging things through the years, they still put together a very, very good product," said Jefferson, 29, who is entering his ninth season.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich knows Jefferson from their days with Team USA in 2003 and 2004, including the Olympics.

"He's got a great sense of humor. He's great in the locker room. He's a great teammate. I enjoy him," Popovich said.

Popovich likes what Jefferson, who has scored 17.7 points a game in his career, can do on offense. But Popovich wants to transform him into the player he was early in his career, before he was needed as a big scorer.

"He was more of a defender then, and we're going to work him to try to get him back taking pride in defense and rebounding," Popovich said.

Jefferson doesn't mind.

"My team is not expecting me to score 22, 23 points a game. It's more of, 'Hey, you go out there and play good defense, and you be aggressive when you get the opportunity.' "

The Spurs want the stifling defense they played before last season, when they allowed 93.3 points a game, their most since 1997. Ginobili's high-intensity presence will be a big factor.

His return from a stress fracture in his right ankle is being closely watched. The Spurs limited his offseason workouts to low-impact exercise. No running the court or extensive shooting drills. He didn't resume basketball activities until Sept. 1.

"It was a frustrating year," Ginobili said. "Now, I'm feeling good. I'm just a little rusty. I'm not used to not playing for six months. … I'm optimistic I'm going to get there."

Western Conference preview capsules (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-10-21-western-conference-division-previews_N.htm)
By Chris Colston & Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY

How USA TODAY says each division of the NBA's Western Conference will shake out.

SOUTHWEST DIVISION

San Antonio Spurs

Last season: 54-28, third

Coach:Gregg Popovich

Top returning scorer, rebounder: G Tony Parker (22), F Tim Duncan (10.7)

Eye on: Rookie F DeJuan Blair. The 6-7 space eater is strong in the paint.

Biggest addition: F-G Richard Jefferson/F Bruce Bowen (retired)

Question: Can a healthy G Manu Ginobili, with Jefferson and new F Antonio McDyess, lift them past the Los Angeles Lakers in the West?

Predicted division finish: First

SouthTexasRancher
10-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Good article...missed it today. Thx for posting

BillMc
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for posting.