PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Blair as Tim Duncan

duncan228
10-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Blair as Tim Duncan (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/blair-as-tim-du.html)
By Jeff McDonald

You get a new rookie, the tendency is to want to coach him up right away. You look at all he can't do, and you want to start making corrections and fiddling with his game.

When it comes to first-year forward DeJuan Blair, the Spurs coaching staff is fighting that temptation for now.

They aren't remaking his shooting form. They aren't in his ear constantly about playing defense. They aren't trying to teach him post moves he doesn't have. They aren't trying to make him Mark Price at the foul line, or Dikembe Mutombo at the rim.

For the time being, they are just letting Blair be. In that, the Spurs are just doing what they once did with another prized frontcourt rookie.

"We didn't even try to coach Tim Duncan at the beginning," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We watched him. Once we figured out what he does, then we tried to do what we could to make it better."

Popovich is taking the same "observe and report" approach with Blair this preseason.

"We're going to watch him play and see what his strengths and weaknesses are," Popovich said, "rather than put him in a box."

Popovich has to like what he's seen from Blair so far. Though a bit undersized, Blair is leading the Spurs in scoring (14.7 ppg) and rebounding (8.2) in just 18 minutes a night. He's also flashed a unique ability to turn a game in a hurry. Blair has 17 points and 10 rebounds against the Thunder, despite not entering the game until midway through the third quarter.

Blair still has a lot to learn and a long way to go. For now, however, the Spurs aren't going to overthink him.

peskypesky
10-21-2009, 10:44 PM
exactly. don't fuck with perfection. Blair is a perfect storm.

Mel_13
10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Maybe this will quiet those who were complaining about Pop's public words about Blair.

I can't think of much higher praise than using the same approach with Blair that was once used with Duncan. They realize he is something special.

ducks
10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
blair is going to replace duncan and the spurs are still going to win titles when manu and duncan hang it up

SequSpur
10-21-2009, 10:58 PM
blair is going to replace duncan and the spurs are still going to win titles when manu and duncan hang it up

are you a dallas cowboys fan also?

ducks
10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
why would I like a team full of drug players
a overrated quarterback
one cocky owner who is almost as bad as mark cuban

Riverwalkman
10-21-2009, 11:06 PM
You must be drunk. I know you were kidding.

ducks
10-21-2009, 11:08 PM
people said when david hung them up no more titles
spurs won titles after that!

exstatic
10-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I think that they realize that even making mistakes, Blair is going to be a + guy, not a - guy. They don't want to throw too much at him at once, so he doesn't start "thinking" and stop playing his game. Realistically, I'd probably have Chip slowly work on his FT shooting and get him a 15-18 foot jumper, and then tighten up the D, and probably call it a day. The rest of his game is solid and instinctual.

Phenomanul
10-21-2009, 11:52 PM
:tu the coaching staff can't pay Blair a bigger compliment...

SpurNation
10-22-2009, 12:08 AM
^ My thoughts exactly.