PDA

View Full Version : Doug Collins' take on the Spurs.

CGD
10-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey folks, thought I'd post Doug Collins' take on the Spurs.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/pre-season/2009/10/21/cause_effect_sas.nba/

mystargtr34
10-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Probably 3 minutes on how they wont be able to stop Kobe.

Morg1411
10-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Try listening to it. It's brief, but Doug gives the Spurs' off-season a big :tu.

ezau
10-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Hahaha, Doug Collins, that POS.

Allanon
10-22-2009, 12:44 AM

Doug Collins is not a Kobe fan although you might think so if you only hear snippets of his commentary.

If you listen to his entire broadcasts, he'll give credit to Kobe when he has to but he gives it very grudgingly. Give him LeBron or Spurs and he'll gush about them.

Guys who are Pro Lakers/Kobe: Reggie Miller/Kenny Smith/Marc Jackson

Pro Spurs: Doug Collins/Mark Stein/Jeff Van Gundy

Pro LeBron: Hollinger/Doug Collins

DJB
10-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Doug Collins is not a Kobe fan although you might think so if you only hear snippets of his commentary.

If you listen to his entire broadcasts, he'll give credit to Kobe when he has to but he gives it very grudgingly. Give him LeBron or Spurs and he'll gush about them.

Guys who are Pro Lakers/Kobe: Reggie Miller/Kenny Smith/Marc Jackson

Pro Spurs: Doug Collins/Mark Stein/Jeff Van Gundy

Pro LeBron: Hollinger/Doug Collins

Disagree completely. Doug Collins is a Laker fan that just so happens to be a commentator.

Allanon
10-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Disagree completely. Doug Collins is a Laker fan that just so happens to be a commentator.

Alot of non-Laker fans think this to be true.

However, Laker fans the world over dis Doug Collins because he constantly criticizes Kobe during games.

Heck, just look back at any of Doug's past predictions, it's never about the Lakers. Cavs/Celtics/Spurs were consistently ranked above the Lakers in seasons past. Doug consistently ranks LeBron above Kobe in MVP voting, best player, etc. Same with last year's Olympics coverage too.

Think back, when has Doug Collins EVER put Kobe/Lakers above LeBron, Celtics or Spurs?

EricB
10-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Doug Collins is NOT a Spurs fan.

Far far from it.

Way way off on that observation.

antimvp
10-22-2009, 02:10 AM
don't even have to read it.

"spurs are great, but lakers are greaterest"........doug collins.

alchemist
10-22-2009, 02:32 AM

Far far from it.

this

Allanon
10-22-2009, 06:56 AM

Far far from it.

Prior to this year, Doug Collins has consistently picked the Spurs as the WC champs.

He absolutely loves Manu, if you ever listen to him covering the game, it's Manu, Manu, Manu.
http://davidestrada.com/nbamatchup/collins2005.mp3

I'll go find some more.

silverblackfan
10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
I would agree that Doug likes Manu and shows a lot of respect for the Spurs and Pop, he still prefers the Lakers. He usually refers to the Lakers as dominant, unstoppable, etc... He respects the Spurs and does not dismiss them, that is about it.
As for Laker homers, Walton is the biggest one there is. I have to turn down the sound when that guy announces.

ElNono
10-22-2009, 07:55 AM
I think Doug simply cheers for the team is doing better out there.

When the Lakers make a run: "This Lakers team has that versatility to really run you out of the gym. I wouldn't be surprised if they win it all this season.".

When the Spurs make a run: "The Spurs are so solid in the fundamentals, that you blink for a minute and they put you in a corner. They have a great shot at winning it all this season. I have gay love for Ginobili.".

When Denver makes a run: "This is why Denver is a favorite to win it all. The birdman really brings solid shot blocking, something this team was sorely lacking in past seasons".

Unfortunately, this is what sports commentators look like these days, when they never want to be wrong...

Agloco
10-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Quite the opposite actually. He's riding the Spurs nuts hard in this one.

DxB
10-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Heck, just look back at any of Doug's past predictions, it's never about the Lakers. Cavs/Celtics/Spurs were consistently ranked above the Lakers in seasons past. Doug consistently ranks LeBron above Kobe in MVP voting, best player, etc. Same with last year's Olympics coverage too.

Think back, when has Doug Collins EVER put Kobe/Lakers above LeBron, Celtics or Spurs?

Coz until 2008, a lot of that was true, and the Cavs n Spurs WERE better than the lakers, who were a sorry sight at the time.

Also, to all laker fans, just coz someone points out a mistake or flaw with your team, it doesn't mean they hate them, its just a fact, and the lakers DO make mistakes... chill n fuckin accept them.

z0sa
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM

So because he criticizes Kobe he's not a Lakerfan? Horrible logic.

Like ericB said, way way off on this one. The guy is a hardcore Lakerfan. I admit he's a pretty good commentator though getting old and senial, EXCEPT when LA is playing.

hater
10-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Collins a laker fan??? what?

he is alright on tv. 10000 times better than the knick fan who hates on everyone . you know the one who says 'youre better than that' :pctoss

Allanon
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
So because he criticizes Kobe he's not a Lakerfan? Horrible logic.

Like ericB said, way way off on this one. The guy is a hardcore Lakerfan. I admit he's a pretty good commentator though getting old and senial, EXCEPT when LA is playing.

You guys are saying he is a Lakerfan, but when he gets a chance to pick LeBron/Celtics or Spurs he picks them. This is the first year Collins has picked the Lakers to win the West. When has Collins ever picked the Lakers above those guys (aside from this year)?

How is that being a Laker fan? If he were a Laker fan, wouldn't he have been riding the Lakers jock like Hollinger was riding Utah last year?

He absolutely loves Ginobili and he loves Tim Duncan. He has picked the Spurs to win the West or Win it all for the last several years. How is that not Pro Spurs?

You guys are givin' Doug Collins a bad rep when you say he's a Laker fan, he's been very "Go Spurs" through the years.

Allanon
10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Coz until 2008, a lot of that was true, and the Cavs n Spurs WERE better than the lakers, who were a sorry sight at the time.

So if Collins speaks the truth, how does that make him a Laker fan? If he were a Laker fan, wouldn't he have ridden the Lakers?

z0sa
10-22-2009, 10:42 AM
He's go spurs til they face LA, at which time he goes into "tea bag me kobe" mode

DJB
10-22-2009, 10:54 AM
He's go spurs til they face LA, at which time he goes into "tea bag me kobe" mode

:tu

Allanon
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM

That's because the Lakers usually beat the Spurs. Not unlike Holinger riding the Jazz until they lose and he switches.

You can be sure if the Spurs are spanking the Lakers, Collins will be talking about Kobe's bad shots and the greatness of Tim Duncan.

HarlemHeat37
10-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Collins is tough to read..I think he just rides whoever is hot..

He was calling Duncan the best player in the NBA for a while since '99..

completely deck
10-22-2009, 11:47 AM
That's because the Lakers usually beat the Spurs. Not unlike Holinger riding the Jazz until they lose and he switches.

You can be sure if the Spurs are spanking the Lakers, Collins will be talking about Kobe's bad shots and the greatness of Tim Duncan.

No not really, he'd be saying something about how the Lakers had some sort of disadvantage or something. He'd try to justify it by any means.

HarlemHeat37
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Hubie Brown and JVG are the only National TV analysts that I can listen to though..everybody else is too annoying..Reggie and Mark Jackson's love for Kobe and the Lakers just becomes creepy after a while..

galvatron3000
10-22-2009, 12:01 PM

:toast

Allanon
10-22-2009, 12:02 PM
No not really, he'd be saying something about how the Lakers had some sort of disadvantage or something. He'd try to justify it by any means.

Just like in the Olympics, in that famous Rudy Fernandez dunk on Dwight he was tearing into Kobe for letting Dwight get dunked on. Then when Team USA was struggling, it was about Kobe's bad shots. If you have a copy of that video, just listen to that dunk commentary and what Doug said about Kobe the period when Team USA was only a few points up on Spain.

Doug Collins doesn't cut Kobe any slack or make excuses for his performance. He does praise Kobe when he does well, that is true. But he also really criticizes Kobe (more than any other player) when he's bad. Not sure how that's a Kobe nut slobber.

So Doug Collins criticizes Kobe often on both the Lakers and Team USA, but I've never heard him criticize Manu or Tim Duncan. And somehow that makes him a Kobe fan?

TIMMYD!
10-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I fuckin' hate Reggie Miller

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I Like Charles Barkley. He tells it like it is, Unfortunately they'll never have him as a commentater.