PDA

View Full Version : Return of the old Roy

tlongII
10-22-2009, 10:44 AM
http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=125615852770761400

But Blazers’ All-Star says he’ll sacrifice some stats and play fewer minutes

http://portlandtribune.com/news_graphics/125616029342131300.jpg

During the last five quarters of the preseason — the fourth quarter of Sunday’s victory over Denver and Tuesday’s loss to Utah — Brandon Roy has looked more like the old Brandon Roy.

That’s a good sign.

“My timing is getting there,” the two-time All-Star says.

The Trail Blazers open Tuesday against Houston at the Rose Garden.

“I feel I’ll be right on time for next week,” Roy says. “I just have to figure out how to get the team ready. But I’m not worried about myself at all. I’ll be ready.”

Roy had nine of his 12 points in the fourth period against Denver, then followed that with a solid 15-point, five-assist showing against the Jazz. He is shooting only .351 from the field, has made just 1 of 8 from 3-point range and has averaged 11 points in seven exhibitions, but he has not been playing with his normal élan in part to guard against injury.

“I’ve been trying to stay away from attacking the basket to protect my body,” Roy says. “It’s the preseason. Even when our guys get to the basket and they’re falling hard, I’m thinking, ‘Careful, you don’t want to hurt yourself right now.’

“I’m a meaningful-game player. It seems like if it doesn’t count at the end, I try my best to pick it up, but I’ve never been too concerned about preseason. You work on things you want to.

“My biggest thing now is to try to get into a rhythm. When it counts, when the season starts, it’s a new me.”

Roy contends he has always been subpar in the preseason, but that’s not the case. What is true is that, except for his rookie season, he has not been whole physically.

A healthy Roy shot .458 from the field and .804 from the line and averaged 14.8 points in eight preseason games as a rookie. The next year, dealing with an Achilles’ tendon injury, Roy played only two exhibitions, averaging 15.5 points but shooting .407 from the field and .529 from the foul line. Last preseason, after minor summer knee surgery, he played just four games but averaged 16.5 points while shooting .595 from the field, .636 from 3-point range and .563 from the line.

Roy took it easy this summer and pronounces himself fit as the regular season looms.

“Everything’s fine,” he says. “I’m practicing every day. It’s funny. Usually I’m the guy sitting out and just waiting for the games. Now there are other guys doing that. I’m excited that I’m 100 percent healthy.”

Last week, Roy expressed concern that he wasn’t getting enough touches in the Blazer offense. His fears subsided after a chat with coach Nate McMillan, who explained his desire to give Greg Oden a bigger role and integrate free-agent acquisition Andre Miller with his new teammates.

“Coach told me, ‘Don’t think we’re not going to go to you, because we are,’ ” Roy says. “That made me feel much more comfortable. I understand what he’s been trying to do. When it’s time to go, we’ll go to what we know.”

McMillan confirms as much.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/pmgfoto/TRIBUNE/SBlazers_101409_LB5.jpg

“When the game is on the line, you’re going to go to your best players,” he says. “Brandon is going to have the ball and do what he does best. He’s still the No. 1 option.”

Assistant coach Monty Williams also says that when the games count, Roy will again be the money man.

“He’s our flagship,” Williams says. “When opponents think of us, they think about how they can stop Brandon.

“His thing has always been team ball, but I don’t think his role is going to change. Andre’s just going to make him better. Once those guys get a little synergy on the floor, they’ll play a lot better. Right now, we don’t have the movement we want when he gets the ball. It makes him hard to play against a (defensive) wall every time he catches the ball. But it’s going to get better.”

Roy is still learning how to play alongside Miller, who is also at his best with the ball in his hands.

“I definitely feel more comfortable with Andre than I did at the start of training camp,” Roy says. “I still have a good relationship with (Steve) Blake on the court, and Andre and I have played only a few games together. I have a better feel for him now, but it’s hard to say who coach is going to go with as a starter.”

Roy averaged 37.2 minutes last season.

“If I can get him down to 35, I’d like that,” McMillan says.

Roy says the added depth will make that easier to achieve.

“We’ll be stronger when I go to the bench,” Roy says. “We’ll have either ‘Dre or Blake out there. Last season, Coach (McMillan) didn’t like that if he took me out, he had to get me right back in. Now I can get my full rest and he can keep me at the minutes he would like. I’ll be able to stay more fresh at the end of games.”

Roy’s statistics may go down this season. He’s OK with that, he says, as long as the Blazers are winning. He says he doesn’t expect playing time to be an issue for his teammates, either.

“I don’t have the crystal ball, but we have good guys on this team,” Roy says. “If I’m willing to sacrifice points or other stats, the other guys have to be satisfied to sacrifice, too. That’s what’s going to help this team win games.”

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Old?

http://www.bustedplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/greg-oden.jpg

clambake
10-22-2009, 11:09 AM
this edwin dude is kicking your ass.

get back in the game.

jazzypimp
10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
This is the year Roy gets left off the allstar team due to D-Will

TJastal
10-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Roy did the right thing to defer to his coach's wishes. I think he figured out he can't do it alone, that he's going to need to pick his spots more and try to get other guys involved especially Oden. And he can't carry the entire burden of ball handling and scoring that was too much.

With the right mindset now, look for him to build chemistry with Andre Miller.

PDXSpursFan
10-22-2009, 11:30 AM
This is the year Roy gets left off the allstar team due to D-Will
Roy is a SG, not a PG. Other than Kobe, what other WC SG is better than Roy?
He will be allstar again. D-Will would have to take a spot out of CP3, Parker or Billups.

JamStone
10-22-2009, 11:32 AM
this edwin dude is kicking your ass.

get back in the game.

+1

And ed's a girl hehe

lefty
10-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Old Roy
Young Oden

Everything is upside down in Portland

JamStone
10-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Roy is a SG, not a PG. Other than Kobe, what other WC SG is better than Roy?
He will be allstar again. D-Will would have to take a spot out of CP3, Parker or Billups.

While I agree for that Roy is a SG, that doesn't necessarily mean Deron Williams can't prevent Roy from being an all star because all star spots are grouped in three, guards, forwards, and centers. It's not a set amount of point guards, shooting guards, small forwards, power forwards, centers. Technically, an all star team can have four point guards and only one shooting guard.

Spursfan092120
10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Roy?

http://www.retrovegasgirls.com/entertainers/photos/siegfried_roy_tiger_1_r.jpg

picc84
10-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I was wondering when the old Roy would return.

lefty
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
By "Old ROY" I thought he meant Greg Oden.

cnyc3
10-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Non-Factor

iggypop123
10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
so old. that means he will go to his rookie form