PDA

View Full Version : McDyess, Spurs finally capitalize on mutual admiration

TMTTRIO
10-22-2009, 11:31 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/10/22/mcdyess.column/

McDyess, Spurs finally capitalize on mutual admiration

Posted Oct 22 2009 10:36AM

The possibilities were plentiful for Antonio McDyess over the summer. With a 13-year NBA resume as a smart player, a good teammate, a guy who can still look smoother than satin sheets and be as unforgiving as a sledgehammer, he could have punched his ticket to any contender.
But to him, there was only one choice. If he weren't wearing a Spurs jersey today, McDyess likely would have retired.
"I was strongly considering it," said the 6-foot-9 veteran, who was a key part of San Antonio's offseason makeover. "I definitely had retirement in the back of my head and wasn't sure if I want to play anymore.
"I looked around at a lot of other teams, other places, considered the options and, to be honest, I felt this was the only one for me."
The truth is, McDyess had been trying to find his way to Texas and to the Spurs for years. He had always watched the way Tim Duncan played, the way Gregg Popovich coached, the way the entire organization simply hummed along doing its business and figured he'd fit like a hand into a custom-made glove.
After he came into the league in 1995 as another of those high-flying phenoms who could dunk everything he got his hands on, McDyess lasted through knee injuries and all those seasons by being a down-to-earth personality who does all of the little things along with the big ones.
He bounced from Denver to Phoenix back to Denver to New York back to Phoenix and Detroit in pursuit of a championship, less the featured star than the invaluable cog in the machinery. Oh, he could still go out and get you 22 points or a dozen rebounds or a handful of blocks. But it's that work ethic that shone through, and that made McDyess and the Spurs mutually attractive.
"We've admired the way he plays for a number of years," said Spurs general manager R.C. Buford. "We've always had the feeling that Antonio would be a good fit on our team. We're just glad that things could finally work out."
The Spurs made their biggest summer splash by trading for wingman Richard Jefferson in hope of giving a jolt to their transition game and offense. But the addition of veterans Theo Ratliff and McDyess were no less critical in the race to keep pace with the Lakers, Denver, Dallas and the rest in the Western Conference.
Just as he did in Detroit, McDyess will likely come off the bench, because he feels more comfortable that way. But it doesn't lessen his role. When starter Matt Bonner comes out, McDyess will provide much more offensive punch and shot-blocking while playing in the middle to allow Tim Duncan to stay at power forward.
The opportunity to play alongside Duncan would appeal to anyone. But it was more than just one player who drew McDyess to the Spurs.
"If you look at the history of this team ever since 'Pop' took over and established the way he wanted to do things, the way guys interact with each other, on the court, off the court, that's what I wanted to be a part of," McDyess said. "I just feel like where I'm at as a player, it was a good fit with these guys. History speaks for itself here. Four championships in the past 10 years are phenomenal to me and everything about the atmosphere of the franchise made it a no-brainer."
There have, of course, been previous links between McDyess and the Spurs. In his first season in Detroit, the Pistons lost Game 7 of the 2005 NBA Finals in San Antonio.
"I remember standing on the floor and watching them celebrate," McDyess said. "Some of these guys took a ring from me that night. I try not to think about that too much now. Still, when I went to Tony Parker's house a few weeks ago, he showed that ring and I would like to have cried. I guess if you can't beat them, join them."
The one bauble that McDyess has that's eluded Parker and Duncan is an Olympic gold medal. McDyess was a late addition to the Team USA roster for the Sydney Olympics in 2000 when Duncan was bogged down in rehabilitation from knee surgery. McDyess wound up getting a key offensive rebound and scored a follow-up bucket to get the U.S. past Lithuania in the semifinals.
"I'm appreciative of the gold medal and the Olympic experience, no question," McDyess said. "I guess Tim and I have done a flip-flop. I got his gold medal and he got my ring. But hey, there's no reason now we can't get another one together."
Fran Blinebury has covered the NBA since 1977. You can e-mail him here. ([email protected])
The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.

boutons_deux
10-22-2009, 11:38 AM
"When starter Matt Bonner comes out"

Very embarrassing that he's our starting center. Won't rebound, bad defense, prefers 3s like Euro big.

koriwhat
10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
dice! i'm routing for ya most definitely!

koriwhat
10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
holy shit are you kidding me? bonner is our started again? wtf!

thispego
10-22-2009, 11:48 AM
yes bonner is the starting center you stupid fucking dumbasses

Muser
10-22-2009, 11:49 AM
It will be fun to see everyone riding Bonners dick when he has a good game.

narmerguy
10-22-2009, 12:01 PM
It will be fun to see everyone riding Bonners dick when he has a good game.

Believe me, this doesn't really happen often enough to get that much humor out of it.

jason1301
10-22-2009, 12:12 PM
TP Mason Fin TD and Bonner were a pretty damn good regular season team last year, why everyone complaints about TP Fin RJ TD and Bonner?

TJastal
10-22-2009, 12:34 PM
TP Mason Fin TD and Bonner were a pretty damn good regular season team last year, why everyone complaints about TP Fin RJ TD and Bonner?

So when spurs have another great regular season, then lose in the 1st round against the Mavs YET AGAIN because Bonner and Finley are both extreme liabilities on the court sucking up alot of minutes at the expense of other players who are better .... lemme guess your gonna say the same thing?

xtremesteven33
10-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Parker
Finley
Jefferson
Mcdyess
Duncan

I can deal with this lineup. But Bonner has no business starting next to Duncan....

I. Hustle
10-22-2009, 01:01 PM
holy shit are you kidding me? bonner is our started again? wtf!

:lol How can I hate you both? I just can't do it.

Flux451
10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
so be it

jason1301
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
So when spurs have another great regular season, then lose in the 1st round against the Mavs YET AGAIN because Bonner and Finley are both extreme liabilities on the court sucking up alot of minutes at the expense of other players who are better .... lemme guess your gonna say the same thing?

Let me guess someone stole your breakfast?

Take it easy there, its a long season and the goal is to have Dice, Manu and the rest of the players fresh for the playoffs. If you can go through the regular season with Bonner, why risk it?

PLayoffs is another story.

jbspurs
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Bonner starting at center is bad coaching!

jjktkk
10-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Very embarrassing that he's our starting center. Won't rebound, bad defense, prefers 3s like Euro big.

Which is exactly why Pops starting him. to space the floor and keep teams from double teaming Duncan.

jb4g
10-22-2009, 01:26 PM
no, bad coaching would be to start dyess and have him log too many minutes in a starters role during meaningless early season games. Bonner has proven he can contribute in that lineup getting looks off of TD and Parker. and as stated here a hundred times who cares who starts...its who finishes that really matters.

and IMO its our second unit thats really going to break games open, as long as the starters keep it close the active bunch of gino, hill, mason and blair are gonna stomp on everyones second squads

Samr
10-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Hill, Manu, Mason(/Finley), Blair, McDyess (/Ratliff) are going to be a killer second five. Two solid wing defenders, one rock in the post, a killer spot shooter and two go-to clutch shooters. Energy players outside and inside, and so help whomever decides to hit the boards against the Spurs.

If this is what Pop is trying to do, I'm kinda liking it.

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 02:02 PM
The latest gang of Bonner-haters has me longing for the good old days. You know, when every thread became a Scola thread. Scola threads were way more fun than Bonner threads. I miss those days.

benefactor
10-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I love it how everyone seems to think that Bonner starting means 30 mpg of Bonner.

EricB
10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Anyone ever think that McDyess will start in the latter part of the year after he gets the system down and is rested up?

Nah.

bless1187
10-22-2009, 02:38 PM
i guess the only hope is for D. Blair to beat out M. Bonner for the starting spot... i was getting very excited about the season, until i realized that M. Bonner is gonna be starting for us AGAIN!!!

thispego
10-22-2009, 02:40 PM
dont watch then pussy

bless1187
10-22-2009, 02:54 PM
thispego, u really need to stop sucking M. Bonner's cock, i mean why u getting all into it with anyone who don't think your mancrush is a capable starting C on a team with champion aspiration.

Ibanezsr
10-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Would you guys rather see Dice start and have Bonner team up with Blair? The interior defense would blow. Duncan and Dice are the 2best interior defenders (I don't count Ratillf because he is not durable...same with Ian). Bonner and Blair are the 2 weakest. It only makes sense to have Bonner and Blair split up. Crunch time Bonner won't be on the court anyways so who cares???

bless1187
10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
my first option would be to have A. McDyess start with D. Blair and T. Ratliff as our 2 main back up big.

but unfortunately it seems that M. Bonner is going to be in the rotation...

so i would much rather have D. Blair start than M. Bonner, than M. Bonner paired up with A. McDyess. Just imagine D. Blair starting and getting 25-28 MPG, he could very well average a double double.

Manufan909
10-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Not to lump myself in with the overreacters here, but I'd like to see what happens when Tim and Blair start. Not before Christmas though, and only against short teams. As long as Bonner is the fifth big, I can stomach him starting occasionally, even though I'd rather Dice start and end games. Let Blair and Bonner take turns blowing up the other teams 2nd units, with a pinch of Ian and Theo to spice things up.

benefactor
10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
dont watch then pussy
:tu

benefactor
10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
...but keep the posts coming. I'm off today and the afternoon comedy is nice.

thispego
10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
thispego, u really need to stop sucking m. Bonner's cock, i mean why u getting all into it with anyone who don't think your mancrush is a capable starting c on a team with champion aspiration.

i'll back up any spurs player who doesnt suck as bad as you low life's think they do

thispego
10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
not to lump myself in with the overreacters here, but i'd like to see what happens when tim and blair start. Not before christmas though, and only against short teams. As long as bonner is the fifth big, i can stomach him starting occasionally, even though i'd rather dice start and end games. Let blair and bonner take turns blowing up the other teams 2nd units, with a pinch of ian and theo to spice things up.

do they have to start together for you to see how they play together?

Spurs Brazil
10-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Great read

McDyess will be great for the Spurs and I think he'll be the starting center sooner or later

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Not to lump myself in with the overreacters here, but I'd like to see what happens when Tim and Blair start. Not before Christmas though, and only against short teams. As long as Bonner is the fifth big, I can stomach him starting occasionally, even though I'd rather Dice start and end games. Let Blair and Bonner take turns blowing up the other teams 2nd units, with a pinch of Ian and Theo to spice things up.
I'll definitely go for that. Bonner is OK in the right situation/minutes.

SenorSpur
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
My only wish, regarding McDyess, is that we could've gotten him five years ago.

TIMMYD!
10-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't give a shit if Bonner starts as long as he doesn't play more than 10-15 minutes per game.

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
No way. You know the spurs; they dont get guys till right before they enter a retirement home. A place call SPURS VETS. A happy place where old men can gobble up minutes and laugh at the Talented Young Guys sitting on the bench. Mcdyess however Deserves serious playing time.

I. Hustle
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
If Bonner is on the team I would rather he started. The other starting 4 are solid and our bench would destroy any other teams bench IMO. If he is going to play I would rather have him in early that to have him in when the game is on the line.

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Why have him in at all?

TJastal
10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Why have him in at all?

:lol

/thread

I. Hustle
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Why have him in at all?

Because they are paying him and it gives others a rest.

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm just saying Mcdyess can stretch the floor enough with his 15-18ft jumper+rebound and even post a little. Blair can Rebound and handle himself even though he is undersized. Ratliff can Block shots. Bonner is 6-10 but dont play like it. Why give him minutes? unless you really need to stretch the floor and score some buckets in a hurry.

I. Hustle
10-22-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm just saying Mcdyess can stretch the floor enough with his 15-18ft jumper+rebound and even post a little. Blair can Rebound and handle himself even though he is undersized. Ratliff can Block shots. Bonner is 6-10 but dont play like it. Why give him minutes? unless you really need to stretch the floor and score some buckets in a hurry.

Until he is gone we are stuck with him. I think he helps with the inside outside threat

ooshmay
10-22-2009, 04:45 PM

But he spreads the court for tim duncan.. u think tim duncan is gona get 1 on 1 plays against rival PF with ratlif on the floor?.. bonner sucks but theres an advantage of having him out there..

Mad Bonner
10-22-2009, 04:46 PM
What the shit bitches?! Get off my muffuggin nuts! With these nigs in there with me I can do what I do. Stupid bitches always tryin' to hate on the Rocket.

Muser
10-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't get what the big deal is? Even if he's starting it doesn't mean he gets more than 10 minutes a night does it?

Starters

Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Duncan
Bonner

1st Substitutions

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
McDyess/Blair
Duncan

That looks pretty damn solid to me.

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Oh sure. But its the Defense that Concerns me. I liked it when we played ugly drag it out "Defense is our specialty" type games. Now it seems where trying to outscore guys and he is apart of that problem. He hits 3's but thats a nice addition in certain situations. Defense is a constant thing. Remember when the Spurs had a guy named Ron Mercer. That guy could hit shots from deep and mid-range. The spurs cut him though, He didnt really Play D. What happened to those spurs?

thispego
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
why give him minutes? Unless you really need to stretch the floor and score some buckets in a hurry.

you just shot you and tjastals argument in the face

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
when you have Duncan/MANU/TP/RJ on the floor 3pt shooting is not that important. I mean when were in a serious drought and trying to make a run, thats when he might be a factor. We shouldn't be having offensive droughts that often now should we? that kinda eliminates Bonners role.

Mad Bonner
10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Raise your hand if you blocked Shaq! Anyone? Nobody? Oh yeah I'm the only one in this muffugger that has!

senorglory
10-22-2009, 04:54 PM

+1.

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Raise your hand if you blocked Shaq! Anyone? Nobody? Oh yeah I'm the only one in this muffugger that has!I was just wondering Mad Bonner. What happened to you in the playoffs last season? You got owned by a guy named Ericka Dampier. You also couldn't hit any shots and couldnt get REBOUNDS. You also had trouble defending the middle as a Center should.

thispego
10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
when you have duncan/manu/tp/rj on the floor 3pt shooting is not that important. I mean when were in a serious drought and trying to make a run, thats when he might be a factor. We shouldn't be having offensive droughts that often now should we? That kinda eliminates bonners role.

3pt shooting is not important? This is the first i've heard of it

portnoy1
10-22-2009, 05:01 PM
3pt shooting is not important? This is the first i've heard of it
Good Lord, let me break it down. 3pt shooting from your C is not that important. Manu/RJ can hit the 3. Mcdyess can stretch the floor enough with his KT like jumper. When we had Fabricio he got easy shots in the offense by simply getting to the open area. It didnt affect tims game at all. Tim is on the block facing up, the double comes and fab slides underneath for a quick, high percentage, uncontested layup.

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I was just wondering Mad Bonner. What happened to you in the playoffs last season? You got owned by a guy named Ericka Dampier. You also couldn't hit any shots and couldnt get REBOUNDS. You also had trouble defending the middle as a Center should.

Ah, Portnoy. I thought you were on the road to understanding. Alas, no.

Posts such as these clearly cross the line from opinion to obsession.

Take that first step boldly, there will be only eleven more.

Muser
10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
When Bonner is in the top 3 of 3 point shooting this year people will be slobbering all over him, it happened last year and it will happen this year.

TJastal
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I was just wondering Mad Bonner. What happened to you in the playoffs last season? You got owned by a guy named Ericka Dampier. You also couldn't hit any shots and couldnt get REBOUNDS. You also had trouble defending the middle as a Center should.

As typical of most gimmicks, sooner or later they eventually fold up.

Mel_13
10-22-2009, 05:06 PM
As typical of most gimmicks, sooner or later they eventually fold up.

One certainly hopes so

Flux451
10-22-2009, 05:06 PM
When Bonner is in the top 3 of 3 point shooting this year people will be slobbering all over him, it happened last year and it will happen this year.

I recall that, but I also recall everyone knocking his defense and rebounding. Then he was thrown to the tigers at the end.

Muser
10-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Good Lord, let me break it down. 3pt shooting from your C is not that important. Manu/RJ can hit the 3. Mcdyess can stretch the floor enough with his KT like jumper. When we had Fabricio he got easy shots in the offense by simply getting to the open area. It didnt affect tims game at all. Tim is on the block facing up, the double comes and fab slides underneath for a quick, high percentage, uncontested layup.

Detroit had one of the best 3 shooters in the league at the time in Rip Hamilton, and then both Chauncey and Tayshaun who could hit the 3, how dare Rasheed take 3's.

Utah have Williams/AK47 and some other guys I don't know who can shoot 3's, how dare Okur take 3's.

Dallas have Terry/Howard/Marion/Kidd who can all shoot 3's, how dare Dirk shoot 3's.

If you haven't caught on, then saying 3 point shooting at the Center position isn't important is damn stupid, it draws one of the big men right out of the paint and makes it easier for Parker/RJ to get to the rim.

Also Tim doesn't get doubled that much anymore.

Flux451
10-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Bonner starting isn't the end of the world. Mcdyess, Blair and Theo will get plenty of PT. If he is stinking it up, then Pop will sub him out. If he is raining 3's, then let it rain. I am sure Pop has rotations planned for Bonner's better days or will come up with better ones on the spot.

I honestly think he will have a short leash.

Muser
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Portnoy, what are your views on Mason, how many minutes should he be getting?

Morg1411
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Who gives a fuck if Bonner starts? He plays fine in his limited minutes, and his early-game scoring helps up establish a lead. Then Pops brings in big men that can defend and KEEP that advantage.

It's a simple strategy. It tends to work. I swear, some of these Bonner-haters whine more than menstruating teenagers.

thispego
10-22-2009, 05:28 PM
good lord, let me break it down. 3pt shooting from your c is not that important. Manu/rj can hit the 3. Mcdyess can stretch the floor enough with his kt like jumper. When we had fabricio he got easy shots in the offense by simply getting to the open area. It didnt affect tims game at all. Tim is on the block facing up, the double comes and fab slides underneath for a quick, high percentage, uncontested layup.

i would rather ginobili and rj slashing than camping out on the 3point line. Thats what bonner is for. Plus why do y'all keep ignoring the fact that this will cause matchup problems for spurs opponents?

Manufan909
10-22-2009, 05:53 PM
do they have to start together for you to see how they play together?

It was implied I meant the STARTING LINEUP, dumbass. I want Tim to play with Blair AGAINST THE OTHER TEAMS STARTERS. That clear enough for you?

Also, in response to your post about about mismatches, Bonner is almost always a mismatch on D, so he cancels himself out. McDyess can stretch out the D to an extent, and help Tim in the paint on D, Bonner can only do one of those.

And to muser, Bonner is the worst big at helping Tim on D, outside of the rooks who are unknowns on D at this point. That is my biggest concern, not whether or not Tim will get doubled on O. If he gets doubled Dice can shoot the jay, and hopefully Blair can mimic Oberto in getting easy lay ins.

Marcus Bryant
10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I doubt Bonner lasts the season in SA.

Manufan909
10-22-2009, 05:59 PM

If a trade happens, how do you think the FO wants it to work? Does Bonner get traded with someone else (if so, who), is he traded for picks and cash so as to free up a roster spot?

thispego
10-22-2009, 06:00 PM
it was implied i meant the starting lineup, dumbass. I want tim to play with blair against the other teams starters. That clear enough for you?

he can play the starters even if he doesnt start, get it?

BoricuaCJA
10-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I still dont know why people complain about Bonner starting. It's not like he's gonna play in play in crunch time. I think Bonner should start majority of the games in the REGULAR season b/c that will help out resting our best players like Mcdyess and wont make Blair lose confidence since he is a rookie. You never know if Bonner actually gets better as the season goes on and actually becomes clutch(even thought prob wont happen imo).

Once we get to the 4th part of the regular season, then we can say he shouldn't be starting if he is not playing good. Bonner is here to spread the floor for Duncan and not clog the paint. He will not be getting 30 minutes a game so people should relax. I cannot fucking wait for this season to start to see just how good some players might be.

Manufan909
10-22-2009, 06:16 PM
he can play the starters even if he doesnt start, get it?

Ok, I'll try this one last time. I want Blair to play alongside all the Spurs starters, when all of the other starters on the other team are on too, and not so that Blair is subbed in right before the starters for both teams start subbing out. That would mean he'd have to start the first or second half.

Since my examples of Bonner are when he's playing with the starters against the other teams starters, I want a healthy amount of that for Blair, so I can truly compare the two as Cs working with Duncan. My theory is that Blair can play well enough on D with position defense and steals (something Solid D said he was good at in last games blog, iirc), and well enough on O with sneaky layups/jams, O boards, and a jumper here or there. Maybe he could allow Tim to play high post once in awhile, since his post game is pretty nice, but idk. I doubt he'll get the ball in the post as often as Bonner gets the ball on the arc, but I think he will draw more fouls than Bonner.

Of course, I don't want either starting against big teams, like Boston, LA, or Portland. Unless Blair can prove able to keep the Oden's, Bynum's, such away from their favorite spots with his strength and low center of gravity. And not let the Aldridge's, Odom's, and Garnett's just run right by him.

mystargtr34
10-22-2009, 08:11 PM
For me, its all about setting a tone. You want that to be a tough, rebounding, hard defense tone that makes the opponent look at the lineup and think shit, no easy baskets, or no easy rebounds here from the get go. By starting Bonner you almost get the exact opposite. For a lot of the better scorers in the league, it only takes one or two makes early to get them going and get their confidence up for the rest of the night, making them almost ungaurdable. I realise he wont be playing starters minutes, but i think the team would be better served starting McDyess and establishing that hard-nosed style from the opening tip.

weebo
10-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Bonner will start for a while. He knows the system and was our starting center last year. Once, Mcd, Ratliff, and the rest of the bigs get acclimated to the Spur's way of things, Bonner will come off the bench.

Agloco
10-22-2009, 08:46 PM
duwz5y4jONE

Agloco
10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Believe me, last season, everyone jumped onto Bonner's dick for MONTHS.

Until it shriveled up and blew away in the "Playoff Tradewinds"......

SCdac
10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
He doesn't play center. Duncan does. And if you think it isn't important for a PF to hit the 3, ask the Orlando Magic.

But look what happens when their 3 point shot isn't falling, the team sort of collapses. Shard went 5-18 in the last two games, even worse for the series.

thispego
10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Ok, I'll try this one last time. I want Blair to play alongside all the Spurs starters, when all of the other starters on the other team are on too, and not so that Blair is subbed in right before the starters for both teams start subbing out. That would mean he'd have to start the first or second half.

Since my examples of Bonner are when he's playing with the starters against the other teams starters, I want a healthy amount of that for Blair, so I can truly compare the two as Cs working with Duncan. My theory is that Blair can play well enough on D with position defense and steals (something Solid D said he was good at in last games blog, iirc), and well enough on O with sneaky layups/jams, O boards, and a jumper here or there. Maybe he could allow Tim to play high post once in awhile, since his post game is pretty nice, but idk. I doubt he'll get the ball in the post as often as Bonner gets the ball on the arc, but I think he will draw more fouls than Bonner.

Of course, I don't want either starting against big teams, like Boston, LA, or Portland. Unless Blair can prove able to keep the Oden's, Bynum's, such away from their favorite spots with his strength and low center of gravity. And not let the Aldridge's, Odom's, and Garnett's just run right by him.

well he's not going to start the game at all this year so forget it. starting the second half? sure why not. what are you bitching about again? bonner starting the beginning of the season? gmafb :rolleyes

completely deck
10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
But look what happens when their 3 point shot isn't falling, the team sort of collapses. Shard went 5-18 in the last two games, even worse for the series.

Richard Jefferson, Manu Ginobili, George Hill now, etc etc

Agloco
10-22-2009, 09:40 PM
So did every other player not named Duncan or Parker. Why isn't everyone calling for their heads?

Fail. They are.....

Pop and RC took care of most issues during the off season. Or, perhaps you didn't notice that Mason and Finley are the only ones left of that crew?

It's no small coincidence that everyone is calling for a Bonner/Finley/Mason trade now is it?

Agloco
10-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Wrong. Many people on this board are still all over Mason's dick. Despite Bonner playing better than him last year.

Simply due to the perception that Mason was played out of position and it destroyed his game. More experienced ST posters swayed opinons, and rightfully so. Still many want him traded along with Fin-Bo.

The Truth #6
10-22-2009, 10:43 PM
...except that his inadequacies aren't as magnified as Bonner's. I'd say he fills his role better than Bonner who can't guard opposing post players or get a rebound to save his life. I agree that Mason is quite limited, but he's a better fit for his natural position than Bonner. Bonner's inadequacies just mean Tim has to do more of the heavy lifting. I think Tim needs all the help he can get this year. Bonner is fine on the second unit but he doesn't complement Tim very well in my opinion.

I don't think Mason is a great player but his weaknesses are better covered up than Bonner's.

ThaiFanofSpurs
10-22-2009, 10:55 PM
My basketball knowledge might not be great but I think I would not mind Bonner starting as long as they have the game plan to solve the problems they had last season.

Back to the article, I have always liked McDyess. I am glad he is a Spur now. Go get the rings with us, McDyess! Go Spurs Go!

TJastal
10-23-2009, 01:02 AM
For me, its all about setting a tone. You want that to be a tough, rebounding, hard defense tone that makes the opponent look at the lineup and think shit, no easy baskets, or no easy rebounds here from the get go. By starting Bonner you almost get the exact opposite. For a lot of the better scorers in the league, it only takes one or two makes early to get them going and get their confidence up for the rest of the night, making them almost ungaurdable. I realise he wont be playing starters minutes, but i think the team would be better served starting McDyess and establishing that hard-nosed style from the opening tip.

I agree, however I think we're the minority on this board.

Either Finley and Bonner in the starting lineup (and especially both) is going to cause problems sooner or later.

SenorSpur
10-23-2009, 03:12 AM

Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. He a terrific shooter, and all. However, for the last 2 seasons, we've watched Bonner meltdown against playoff competition. Enough already.

Rummpd
10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Sadly Ian is becoming Mr Irrelevant when it might make sense to start a player with limited offensive abliities but a great defensive upside who might pick up fouls - what a shame this guy is not consistently playing up to his potential.

Agloco
10-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Has nothing to do with him playing out of position. While people criticize Bonner for not being able to do anything but shoot, that REALLY is ALL Mason can do. He can't defend. He can't score inside. He can't beat people off the dribble. He can't pass. I could go on...

That's all he was brought here to do.......

So you see, him playing out of position is quite relevant.

sammy
10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
That's great about McDyess! Bonner needs to go! When I heard he started at Center I can't believe they would put that unathletic worthless one starting after he sucked last year. He's a liability, cannot rebound and basically worthless and leaving Timmy out to dry! Why did we get McDyess and Ratliff only to not use them! WTF! Bonner should be on the bench until they can unload his worthless ass!:bang

Agloco
10-23-2009, 12:13 PM
So him playing out of position made him miss shots?

Proof is in the pudding as they say. I don't suppose confidence is a word you're familiar with.

Confidence is like money, hard to get........easy to lose.

ElNono
10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Please review the +/- numbers from last season.

Please review RPG...
Please review Opponent FG%...
Please review Opponent Points in the Paint...

You're too easy...

EricB
10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Proof is in the pudding as they say. I don't suppose confidence is a word you're familiar with.

Confidence is like money, hard to get........easy to lose.

So Mason's confidence can go to shit but not Bonner's.

Got it.

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2009, 12:49 PM
That's all he was brought here to do.......

So you see, him playing out of position is quite relevant.

So I guess he doesn't have to play defense, rebound, create off the dribble and score inside when teams rotate out to him hard since he was just brought here to shoot?

We should just bring back Steve Kerr then since shooting is the only thing you obviously have to do as a guard. I guess there's no other aspects to the game of basketball that could possibly negate great shooting.

NFGIII
10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
no, bad coaching would be to start dyess and have him log too many minutes in a starters role during meaningless early season games. Bonner has proven he can contribute in that lineup getting looks off of TD and Parker. and as stated here a hundred times who cares who starts...its who finishes that really matters.

and IMO its our second unit thats really going to break games open, as long as the starters keep it close the active bunch of gino, hill, mason and blair are gonna stomp on everyones second squads

Agreed. I wouldn't want Dice to be worn out come playoff time. Use Bonner to give him and others the rest they need during the regular season so as to keep them from being tired in the POs.

Dice will finish most games IMHO. Even Blair later in the season I think has a chance to finish games more than Bonner.

His role will be to spread the floor and give others rest time. Thogh he will be "Bonner" most of the time he will occasionally come through with good games now and then. Too bad we can't play Boston more. Unless MB is correct we are stuck with him for now so might as well use him as best we can.

I love it how everyone seems to think that Bonner starting means 30 mpg of Bonner.

Agreed. Most likely 10 - 20 mpg unless he's actually playing well.

Anyone ever think that McDyess will start in the latter part of the year after he gets the system down and is rested up?

Nah.

Would you guys rather see Dice start and have Bonner team up with Blair? The interior defense would blow. Duncan and Dice are the 2best interior defenders (I don't count Ratillf because he is not durable...same with Ian). Bonner and Blair are the 2 weakest. It only makes sense to have Bonner and Blair split up. Crunch time Bonner won't be on the court anyways so who cares???

Our D would suck and any lead will most likely be given back when the starters sit.

My only wish, regarding McDyess, is that we could've gotten him five years ago.

+10

I've thought the same thing for years. I was disappointed when he choose Detroit over us years ago. Serves him right when we beat them in '05. If he had come on board back then just imagine what the Spurs could have done. :bang

I don't want to state what I think would have happened - too depressing.

i would rather ginobili and rj slashing than camping out on the 3point line. Thats what bonner is for. Plus why do y'all keep ignoring the fact that this will cause matchup problems for spurs opponents?
My thoughts exactly. Those two are slashers that can get to the rim causings tons of problems for the other team. And his strength is the 3 ball so with RJ and Manu in he can camp out on the 3 pt line and shoot away. He was in the top 5 most of last year and finished in the top ten didn't he? IIRC

Anyway having Bonner start and play limited minutes isn't a huge problem for me. Playing Dice too many minutes is. We'll see what Pop wants to do and have to live with that decision. He nevers listens to any of us here anyway.

portnoy1
10-23-2009, 02:07 PM
It might create matchup problems one way. And thats only if Bonner is hitting. However he cant guard the lakers bigs. Something I found out last night watching the lakers vs nuggets game is that Lamar Odom ran the point alot. I ask Yall, do you want Lamar Odom bringing up the ball while Matt Bonner is trying to guard him? Its always good to have to people near the paint to block shots. If Bonner is at the Top of the key trying to guard Odom off the dribble, then that creates problems that Matts 3pt shooting wont cover.

thispego
10-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Has nothing to do with him playing out of position. While people criticize Bonner for not being able to do anything but shoot, that REALLY is ALL Mason can do. He can't defend. He can't score inside. He can't beat people off the dribble. He can't pass. I could go on...

the difference? bonner is white and red headed.

Agloco
10-23-2009, 04:56 PM
So Mason's confidence can go to shit but not Bonner's.

Got it.

Judging from your logic, the only thing you've got is a case of neurosyphilis. If you chose to follow the conversation you'd realize that I'd tied Mason's lack of confidence to forces out of his control (read: Pop playing him out of position).

Bonner? Well he played at his natural position and still lost his mojo, much more problematic IMO.

So I guess he doesn't have to play defense, rebound, create off the dribble and score inside when teams rotate out to him hard since he was just brought here to shoot?

We should just bring back Steve Kerr then since shooting is the only thing you obviously have to do as a guard. I guess there's no other aspects to the game of basketball that could possibly negate great shooting.

:rolleyes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum :rolleyes

Quite obviously shooting isn't his only function. The point was that our prime motivation for bringing him in wasn't for any of the reasons you mentioned. Playing out of position simply makes doing any of those other things a bit trickier for him.

What I'm saying is play him at the 2 like you brought him in to do. Everything else is bullshit.