PDA

View Full Version : udoka/bogans

draft87
10-22-2009, 07:03 PM
hoping to get serious answers to this question:
Was it worth ragging on Udoka so hard when Bogans might not be better or even equal?
seriously examine Ime's #s and ability to fit in the system from day 1.

I was thinking of this before and now even more that Ime's been waived by Portland-
compare Bogans to Udoka. They've been asked to pretty much play the same role-perimeter defense/outside shooting(corner 3s)
-Udoka was never supposed to be a big time offensive threat but he played decently. He had a slightly above average 3. And limited yet existent ability to slash, handle the ball, and pass. He never could play at a Bowen-like level of D but he was never missing the hustle and gut. Definitely was undersized as a 3 but the wide shoulders provided a decent level of rebounding.

-Bogans has been hammered on this board. Yes his #s are non-existent but I want to say, 'Give the guy a break, it's the preseason and it's his first year. He might gel well 15 games into the season' But I'm also not naive enough to think that it's not possible that he could be a total bust. I just want to say WAIT.

HOWEVER, anyone that is skeptical about Bogans' success in SA-
could you fathom admitting that Udoka wasn't as bad as most have been saying, possibly offer the olive branch, and entertain having him back?

He knows the system and so far had much more reliable production that we might see with Keith Bogans.

There is a well documented dislike of Ime Udoka on this board. A few brave and wise souls have stood up for the man and pointed out that a)His role was never supposed to be as important as some like to think and b)His place in the rotation changed at least twice due to Manu's injury and changes in the rotation involving Manu/Bowen/Finley/Mason
It's easy to get thrown out of rhythm as a 2nd year role player.

but there is no denying that it just didn't work out as hoped. Not close enough to make the front office NOT try to look elsewhere.

Spurs Brazil
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Ime is done. He was terrible last season

Bruno
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Bogans >>> Udoka

Amuseddaysleeper
10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Who cares, Ime was logging way too many minutes towards the end of the season last year, I highly doubt Bogans will get nearly as much playing time.

loveforthegame
10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Bogans is a much better defender than Udoka.

I think people (myself included) are disappointed that he hasn't shown more on offense. I'm not talking about lighting someone up but hitting the open 3 is a must.

CGD
10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Of all the pretenders that were/are suppose to be Bruce 2.0, I think Bogans has the best shot.

SpurCharger
10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Ime Udoka Was Awful Last Year all the way around..... At Least With Keith You Know you will get Hustle, and Good Defense.... The shot will start Fallin.... Be Patient

Riverwalkman
10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
The only thing Ime is better than Bogans is that he can play PF.

Agloco
10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Bogans is a much better defender than Udoka.

I think people (myself included) are disappointed that he hasn't shown more on offense. I'm not talking about lighting someone up but hitting the open 3 is a must.

This. The OP is obviously basing his assessment on 4-5 preseason games. Way to go.

benefactor
10-22-2009, 08:48 PM
What part of "veteran insurance player at the minimum" are we not understanding?

barbacoataco
10-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Udoka's defense was a big let down. He wasn't fast enough to stay in front of quicker players or tall enough to deal with bigger players.

exstatic
10-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Udoka literally has a better chance to catch on with Portland again this year than with the Spurs. Fourteen guaranteed contracts + two prospects = zero room.

kobyz
10-23-2009, 12:19 AM
the same type of player but Bogans is a better player than Udoka in any aspect of the game.

bdictjames
10-23-2009, 12:34 AM
We didn't win one title with ime.

Maybe he was bad luck.

bigdog
10-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Udoka literally has a better chance to catch on with Portland again this year than with the Spurs. Fourteen guaranteed contracts + two prospects = zero room.

Actually, he can't even make Portland's squad. I read somewhere earlier today that they told him he's being waived.

Fabbs
10-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Said to have 2-3 teams interested.

We'll see where he lands.

HarlemHeat37
10-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Oklahoma City, Denver, Sacramento and Utah are apparently interested..

Blackjack
10-23-2009, 01:41 AM
Not looking too deeply at the teams, Utah would seem a pretty good fit for both he and the Jazz.

superbigtime
10-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Bogans is trash.

sananspursfan21
10-23-2009, 10:56 AM
bogans will be better. i hardly even heard of udoka when he came to the spurs.

rjv
10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
i think the real question is not how their skills compare but rather: how did their salaries compare?

Mel_13
10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Not looking too deeply at the teams, Utah would seem a pretty good fit for both he and the Jazz.

They do need help at the 2/3 with Harpring considering retirement, Miles out with the thumb injury and Korver dealing with knee problems. Udoka also seems like a Jerry Sloan player.

Riverwalkman
10-23-2009, 11:04 AM
i think the real question is not how their skills compare but rather: how did their salaries compare?
I think they should take the same minimum contract as they both entered league in 2003.

Supergirl
10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't get to see many Spurs games since I'm not in SA most of the time, but Udoka seemed to do what we asked of him - defend and hit the occasional open 3. But measuring defense is hard to do from recaps of games, so I'm curious about people's assessments of his defense being sub-par.

If Bogans can do what we asked Udoka to do - hit the occasional open 3 and defend - he will be a big pickup off the bench. I agree with the comment that Bogans will be asked to log less minutes, which may have been Udoka's downfall. Neither Udoka or Bogans are good enough to be more than a 10-15 minute a game player. But on our current roster, Bogans shouldn't need to be.

K-State Spur
10-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Bogans isn't amazing - but I do believe that (once he gets the system) he will consistently provide the Spurs with what they got from Ime when Ime was at his best. There is a place for that at the end of the bench.

bigdog
10-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Ime never lived up to our expectations, and I don't think he even got anywhere close. He was never consistent in my mind on offense, and his defense was subpar to what we thought it would be. He sucked last season, period. Bogans isn't going to provide us with a ton of offense, his role is to be a perimeter defender, which I except to see out of him. I'm not worried about Bogans right now. If we keep Hairston, we'll have more reason to not worry about Bogans

SPURS21
10-23-2009, 12:03 PM
They both suck and have had/will have no memorable contribution to any Spurs team ever [/Thread]

benefactor
10-23-2009, 12:11 PM
They both suck and have had/will have no memorable contribution to any Spurs team ever [/Thread]
I beg to differ on Udoka...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805110SAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805150SAS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805190NOH.html

Interrohater
10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Ime was horrible at defense, and I was a huge supporter of his when he first showed up here. He was brought in to become Bowen's successor but he didn't live up to being even a moderate defender. I hate to say it, but he needed to go.

Hey thread starter, have you actually watched a game or have you been like most of us and just listened on the radio? Wait till you see a few games to pass judgment on Bogans. Even Bruce Almighty only scored 6 points per game in 2007-08 when he was a starter, stats don't tell the whole story.

Mel_13
10-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Ime was horrible at defense, and I was a huge supporter of his when he first showed up here. He was brought in to become Bowen's successor but he didn't live up to being even a moderate defender. I hate to say it, but he needed to go.

Hey thread starter, have you actually watched a game or have you been like most of us and just listened on the radio? Wait till you see a few games to pass judgment on Bogans. Even Bruce Almighty only scored 6 points per game in 2007-08 when he was a starter, stats don't tell the whole story.

True. In Bruce's first 15 regular season games as a Spur in 2001, all as a starter, he shot:

Overall: 33-110 30%
3pt: 11-39 28.2%

Pop didn't cut him. He didn't take him out of the starting lineup for the next seven years.

Not saying that Bogans will ever approach Bruce's level as a player, but these preseason games represent a super small sample size.

LOL@MavsFan
10-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Ime is done. He was terrible last season

I'd be a better option than Usucka at this point in his career:lol

PUPPETMASTER
10-23-2009, 06:31 PM
udoka = unpredictable