PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: 33 Most Intriguing People of the 2009-10 NBA season

Mel_13
10-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Manu # 33
TD #2
Picks the Spurs over the Celts for the title
Picks Pop as COY

Part 1:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/part1/091023&sportCat=nba

Part 2:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part2/091023&sportCat=nba

33. Manu Ginobili
The last time Ginobili played a pain-free professional basketball game, Hillary Clinton was the odds-on favorite to win the 2008 presidential election, Vince Vaughn weighed less than Jon Favreau, nobody knew what the words "Twitter" and "tweeted" meant, NBC was still considered a major network, and a painfully thin Lindsay Lohan was making a complete mess of herself in public every few weeks. Whoops, that last one is still happening. But it's been a looooooooooooong time since Manu was Manu. Hungry and rested from getting bounced in the first round of the playoffs this past season, the Spurs hit the summer mother lode by adding Antonio McDyess, Richard Jefferson and DeJuan Blair. If Manu can't be Manu again? It won't matter.

2. Tim Duncan
Healthy, happy, rested, in shape. He's already the greatest power forward ever. He already has four rings. But you know what he doesn't have? When he's 60 years old, or 70, or 75, or whatever, and one of his grandkids says, "Grandpa, what was the best team you ever played on?" … he doesn't have an answer. He never played for a kick-ass, take-no-prisoners, dominant team. Kareem had the '87 Lakers and '71 Bucks. Magic had the '87 Lakers. Wilt had the '67 Sixers and '72 Lakers. Bird had the '86 Celtics. Shaq and Kobe had the '01 Lakers (playoff edition). West had the '72 Lakers. Oscar had the '71 Bucks. Moses had the '83 Sixers. Duncan has nothing.

Now, you could argue that the league is too diluted at this point. (And maybe it is. The '01 Lakers were our last kick-ass team.) Or, you could argue that Duncan never had a season in which everything fell into place. In my basketball book (coming Tuesday!!!), I wrote a chapter about the specific set of dynamics that separate championship teams from memorable championship teams. It's complicated and I won't spoil it here. Just know the 2009-10 Spurs qualify for "memorable" status. They have the talent, they have the "Eff You" edge (a term I explain in the book), and they have something that Gregg Popovich likes to call "appropriate fear." Here's how he explained that phrase in 2005:

It gets more difficult after a win to come back and understand how that subconscious sort of complacency can set in. You can't allow that to happen. You have to keep an appropriate fear of your opponent so that complacency will dissipate as soon as possible.

This particular Spurs team has the right level of appropriate fear: fear of aging and complacency coupled with an appreciation for how fast things can fall apart (thanks to Manu's ankle the past two seasons), and beyond that, the reality that their best player might only have one great season left in him. I am a Spurs junkie. I love reading about them. I love the way they put their rosters together and value chemistry so deeply. I love the way they interact during games (as I've written many times). I just get a kick out of them. And the truth is, this might be their last chance for a dominant season with Tim Duncan leading the way.

I think it happens. If only because great basketball players have a habit of somehow finding that one great team. They are my pick to win in 2010. Convincingly.

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Simmons going ga ga on our Spurs sure brings a smile to my face. This season will be the most exciting in recent memory.

We'll take what's rightfully ours starting Wednesday. Can't wait...

boutons_deux
10-23-2009, 01:19 PM
health permitting, should be a hell of season.

xtremesteven33
10-23-2009, 01:23 PM
:worthy:Bill Simmons

xellos88330
10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
:d

ElNono
10-23-2009, 01:29 PM
3a. Ron Artest
… the looniest player in the history of the league! As they're defending a title! And even better, every Laker fan thinks he's an upgrade over Trevor Ariza! Really? That's what you think? You really think that?

True story: I had some friends in town for my birthday weekend last month. We were flipping channels during halftime of a college football game looking for something to watch, eventually stumbling across TMZ, which had just come back from commercial and had Ron Artest in their office. Why? We had no idea. We watched for five mesmerizing minutes as Ron chimed in with thoughts during the staff meeting and answered questions about Lamar Odom's engagement. He had one of those "This is cool, I always wanted to be on this show!" glows. Nobody in the room made a peep. We were riveted. It was the single weirdest cameo I have ever seen on a TV show -- even weirder than Brian Grazer's cameo on "Entourage." There was just no explanation for it.

When it was over, my friend Jacoby said, "This is just gonna get better and better and better every week, isn't it?"

Yes. Yes, it is.

:lmao

bobby4germany
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I wish the season would start already! This has been the LOOOONGEST summer ever!!! BUT it was worth the wait because look at our team now, it is just amazing. :lobt2:

:flag::flag::flag:

ElNono
10-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Another gem:

14. Andrew Bynum
I am 65 percent certain that this exact conversation happened within the past four weeks.

(Kobe enters Phil Jackson's office. Brian Shaw is sitting to Phil's right.)

Phil: Kobe, thanks for stopping by.

Kobe: No problem. I got 5 minutes. Artest is taking me to Hollywood Boulevard, he wants to introduce me to the guys dressed up like Superman and Batman. He thinks they're the actual superheroes. I haven't had the heart to tell him that they're homeless guys.

Phil: Well, don't tell him differently. Let him think that.

Kobe: I will.

Phil: Look, I really want to get Bynum more involved in our offense in November and December. It's a good thing, Kobe. Just trust me. We run everything through him for 42 minutes. You take over for the last six.

Kobe: C'mon, we did this last year. Then he got hurt, I took over and our team took off. Why go through the charade again?

Phil: Because you're still two titles behind MJ?

Kobe: That's your big motivational move with me now, huh?

Phil: Hey, he told me himself -- "Tell Kobe to call me when he gets to six."

Kobe (eyes narrowing): He said that?

Phil: Yup. He said he can't even take you seriously until you win two more.

Kobe: Really?

Phil: Yup. That's why we need Bynum right now. The Pechonkamappadosa tribe has a phrase for this called, "Kakaboomaka." It means, 'To share the credit without giving up credit with those who matter.' I just want to build his confidence up and save your legs. We put a ton of miles on those babies these last two years. 208 games. This is good for you.

Kobe: Lemme think about.

(Kobe leaves. Phil turns to Shaw.)

Phil: This is too easy.

:rollin

Mr. Body
10-23-2009, 01:34 PM
So... uh, I'm assuming DeJuan Blair was #1?

Mel_13
10-23-2009, 01:35 PM
So... uh, I'm assuming DeJuan Blair was #1?

:lol

next year

spursncowboys
10-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Another gem:

14. Andrew Bynum
I am 65 percent certain that this exact conversation happened within the past four weeks.

(Kobe enters Phil Jackson's office. Brian Shaw is sitting to Phil's right.)

Phil: Kobe, thanks for stopping by.

Kobe: No problem. I got 5 minutes. Artest is taking me to Hollywood Boulevard, he wants to introduce me to the guys dressed up like Superman and Batman. He thinks they're the actual superheroes. I haven't had the heart to tell him that they're homeless guys.

Phil: Well, don't tell him differently. Let him think that.

Kobe: I will.

Phil: Look, I really want to get Bynum more involved in our offense in November and December. It's a good thing, Kobe. Just trust me. We run everything through him for 42 minutes. You take over for the last six.

Kobe: C'mon, we did this last year. Then he got hurt, I took over and our team took off. Why go through the charade again?

Phil: Yup. That's why we need Bynum right now. The Pechonkamappadosa tribe has a phrase for this called, "Kakaboomaka." It means, 'To share the credit without giving up credit with those who matter.' I just want to build his confidence up and save your legs. We put a ton of miles on those babies these last two years. 208 games. This is good for you.

Kobe: Lemme think about.

(Kobe leaves. Phil turns to Shaw.)

Phil: This is too easy.

:rollin

:bang I kept thinking it was going somewhere funny. Why? Why did you take away time I can never get back again?

ambchang
10-23-2009, 01:50 PM
That 99 championship was as dominant as they come.

IronMexican
10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
"Khlomar" :rollin

Bill Simmons is a funny guy.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Eh, Simmons is still a Boston toolbag. Picking the Spurs doesn't change that.

101A
10-23-2009, 02:07 PM
That 99 championship was as dominant as they come.

Good point.

nkdlunch
10-23-2009, 02:07 PM
health permitting, Spurs win the title.

fixed

Allanon
10-23-2009, 02:15 PM
But you know what he doesn't have? When he's 60 years old, or 70, or 75, or whatever, and one of his grandkids says, "Grandpa, what was the best team you ever played on?" … he doesn't have an answer. He never played for a kick-ass, take-no-prisoners, dominant team. Kareem had the '87 Lakers and '71 Bucks. Magic had the '87 Lakers. Wilt had the '67 Sixers and '72 Lakers. Bird had the '86 Celtics. Shaq and Kobe had the '01 Lakers (playoff edition). West had the '72 Lakers. Oscar had the '71 Bucks. Moses had the '83 Sixers. Duncan has nothing.

BS has a great point with this now that I think of it....you can't really say any of the Spurs teams of the past were ass-kicking pwning types.

Also from BS:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part2/091023&sportCat=nba

Final Four: Boston over Cleveland, San Antonio over Lakers
Champion: San Antonio over Boston in 6
MVP: LeBron
ROY: Griffin
Coach: Gregg Popovich

I also thought this was pretty good:

101A
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
BS has a great point with this now that I think of it....you can't really say any of the Spurs teams of the past were ass-kicking pwning types.

I also thought this was pretty good:

as mentioned in this thread:

'99

swept LA, Portland - 15 -2 playoffs.

Pretty dominant.

silverblackfan
Sure you can say that the Spurs had a kick ass team. The 1999 team dominated in the playoffs.
1999 -- defeated Minnesota, 3-1, first round
defeated L.A. Lakers, 4-0, conference semifinals
defeated Portland, 4-0, conference semifinals
defeated New York, 4-1, NBA Finals
WON NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

Allanon
as mentioned in this thread:

'99

swept LA, Portland - 15 -2 playoffs.

Pretty dominant.

* -- Phil Jackson

101A
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
* -- Phil Jackson

yeah, THAT'S not gonna extend this thread.

Allanon
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
yeah, THAT'S not gonna extend this thread.

:lol

anakha
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Asterisk aside, how much of the Spurs' dominance in '99 can be attributed to the talent on the team and how much can be attributed to the fact the rest of the league was lagging behind due to not having practiced or gotten in physical condition?

Phenomanul
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
* -- Phil Jackson

Oh.... So that's why Phil needs to sit on one of those hemrroid protecting floater seats? I mean, I knew he could be a jerk... but an *?

Thanks for the enlightening revelation...

Phenomanul
10-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Asterisk aside, how much of the Spurs' dominance in '99 can be attributed to the talent on the team and how much can be attributed to the fact the rest of the league was lagging behind due to not having practiced or gotten in physical condition?

If you can't get in game shape after 50 games... you don't belong in the NBA.

Baseline
10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
* -- Phil Jackson

How about last year's Lakers title with a *

Manu was out, so the Spurs were done.
Garnett was out, so the Celtics were done.
Both of those teams would have beaten LA.

Cleveland's coach has no idea on offense, so Cleveland had no shot
Jameer Nelson was hurt yet tried to play in the Finals and played at 40%. Still, Orlando gave two games, if not three, to LA as gifts.

Last year's Laker team was lucky, not good.

Trimble87
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Bill Simmons is a great writer and an all around likable guy. Great read.

And you know what else? It's fun to have teams that you hate. I hate Sasha Vujacic's hair. I hate the fact that women like Luke Walton. I hate their uniforms. I hate when Pau Gasol gets excited and does that thing where he barks with his hands at his sides as his ugly beard drips sweat over everyone. I hate not being able to hate Derek Fisher. I love being able to hate Kobe, who has brought me more hateable joy than anyone else this decade. (But damn, is that guy good. I do respect him.) I hate Laker fans who show up for Clipper games and only start making noise when the Lakers go up double-digits. I hate the fact that D.J. Mbenga has a publicist. I could go on and on.

Interrohater
10-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Gee, a lot of fellatio going on around here.

Stringer_Bell
10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Dejuan Blair is not as intriguing as Baron Davis, Chris Cohan, and Khloe Kardashian? :depressed

Leetonidas
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Duncan has nothing.

Yeah...that 1999 team was something else in the playoffs. 15-2 is pretty damn good, and they were one of the best defensive teams ever. Young Tim and slightly post-prime Robinson and Elliott, Elie, Avery, etc...that team was awesome.

Leetonidas
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
double post

phxspurfan
10-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah...that 1999 team was something else in the playoffs. 15-2 is pretty damn good, and they were one of the best defensive teams ever. Young Tim and slightly post-prime Robinson and Elliott, Elie, Avery, etc...that team was awesome.

I'm sorry but Elie and Avery were garbage. Avery made like 1 good shot and is way overrated around here. Elie was like Anthony Mason, Otis Thorpe and all the other token loud-mouthed frontcourt enforcers every championship or good playoff team has had.

Basically like all the other 'great' role players homers talk about when reminiscing about how their team went (or almost went) all the way that one season. Like Rick Fox, Dennis Scott, Corliss Williamson, Bobby Jackson, etc. All these guys were good, no doubt, but in no way do they make a great team 'the best.'

I lived in San Francisco at the time the Spurs won their 1st title and I'll tell you that a much smaller portion of America was watching when the Spurs won it all. Basically fewer people kept up that year because of the lockout and, although we knew the Twin Towers were good, the Spurs' title that year was basically the commercial break between us exhaling from the "Go John Stockton, win one for the underdogs" Jazz-Bulls years and the 'F the Lakers' dominant years.

Mr. Body
10-23-2009, 04:37 PM

A lot of it. Fine team, great memories, but highly overrated by some around here. Definitely a champion, though.

Spurtacus
10-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Lets hope Bill is right.

Findog
10-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Bingo. It was a terrible season.

FromWayDowntown
10-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I think one problem with thinking that this Spurs team will end up being the sort of juggernaut that Simmons suggests is that Pop has made it quite clear that the regular season goal is (and has been for years) to win what you can while monitoring minutes and coaxing players through the season. With that strategy in mind, Pop has been able to win division title after division title, despite affirmatively giving away plausibly-winnable games along the way -- anyone remember that game in Denver last February?

It's hard to leave everyone believing that you're a juggernaut if you're willing to give away games that would inflate your win total.

And I don't know that the strength of the West or the top of the East will really allow anyone to breeze through the playoffs in juggernaut-type fashion.

hater
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I think one problem with thinking that this Spurs team will end up being the sort of juggernaut that Simmons suggests is that Pop has made it quite clear that the regular season goal is (and has been for years) to win what you can while monitoring minutes and coaxing players through the season. With that strategy in mind, Pop has been able to win division title after division title, despite affirmatively giving away plausibly-winnable games along the way -- anyone remember that game in Denver last February?

It's hard to leave everyone believing that you're a juggernaut if you're willing to give away games that would inflate your win total.

And I don't know that the strength of the West or the top of the East will really allow anyone to breeze through the playoffs in juggernaut-type fashion.

I don't think he mentioned the regular season specifically did he? He probably meants stomping through the playoffs to a title. like the 3peat lakers (who were slow in regular season)

phxspurfan
10-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Exactly. Pop could give a flying phuc about how entertaining we are, what BSPN reporters say about our 'dominance in the pantheon of champions' or the number of blowout wins we have accrued during regular season games. Bump this if we sweep through the West and Celtics 4-0.

Seventyniner
10-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm just surprised that BS basically said that the Spurs are going to "convincingly" win the title. I can see the Spurs potentially winning it all, but I can't see it being easy.

#2!
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
How about last year's Lakers title with a *

Manu was out, so the Spurs were done.
Garnett was out, so the Celtics were done.
Both of those teams would have beaten LA.

Cleveland's coach has no idea on offense, so Cleveland had no shot
Jameer Nelson was hurt yet tried to play in the Finals and played at 40%. Still, Orlando gave two games, if not three, to LA as gifts.

Last year's Laker team was lucky, not good.
not according to the spurs

exstatic
10-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Everyone played under the same conditions. No one knew when the strike would end, or the season begin. The Spurs even spotted the league a 6-8 start. Then, they dominated like no one's business, finishing 31-5, and then 15-2 for the playoffs. That's an .867 stretch run and playoffs (46-7) for you folks keeping score at home.

Nathan Explosion
10-23-2009, 07:35 PM
He also said that Rudy Gay would probably be available during the season. If that were to happen, Gay for Bonner works perfectly straight up. Throw in a pick to look good for the fans and I'd do it. And Chris Wallace might be dumb enough to do it too.

I'm not picking on Bonner. It's just his contract matches straight up while Finley would need another contract.

Rumsfeld
10-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Granted, but give him the credit for having the stones to pick the spurs. If i have to hear another national "analyst" going out on a limb and picking the lakers and then saying the spurs are a legitimate contender if they stay healthy, I'm gonna friggin puke. Hello jack asses if ANY team loses key players to injuries they're going to suck!

wildbill2u
10-24-2009, 10:24 AM

I find it rather neat that he's such a Boston fan and still loves to watch the Spurs and picks them to win it all over Boston and the East.

How many Spurs homers would do the same.

Phenomanul
10-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Bingo. It was a terrible season.

And exactly what advantage did the Spurs have that the rest of the league didn't?

TIMMYD!
10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Granted, but give him the credit for having the stones to pick the spurs. If i have to hear another national "analyst" going out on a limb and picking the lakers and then saying the spurs are a legitimate contender if they stay healthy, I'm gonna friggin puke. Hello jack asses if ANY team loses key players to injuries they're going to suck!

I hate when fucking analysts do that shit when their giving their picks and say the spurs as long as they are healthy will be a contender but they don't even think about this happening to other teams.

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Bill also predicted my Broncos to go 10-6 when EVERYBODY else in the media predicted we would be horrible, and we're 6-0 so far, so he's off to a good prediction..hopefully this one will be similar..

elbamba
10-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm sorry but Elie and Avery were garbage. Avery made like 1 good shot and is way overrated around here. Elie was like Anthony Mason, Otis Thorpe and all the other token loud-mouthed frontcourt enforcers every championship or good playoff team has had.

Basically like all the other 'great' role players homers talk about when reminiscing about how their team went (or almost went) all the way that one season. Like Rick Fox, Dennis Scott, Corliss Williamson, Bobby Jackson, etc. All these guys were good, no doubt, but in no way do they make a great team 'the best.'

I lived in San Francisco at the time the Spurs won their 1st title and I'll tell you that a much smaller portion of America was watching when the Spurs won it all. Basically fewer people kept up that year because of the lockout and, although we knew the Twin Towers were good, the Spurs' title that year was basically the commercial break between us exhaling from the "Go John Stockton, win one for the underdogs" Jazz-Bulls years and the 'F the Lakers' dominant years.

Either you were not alive in 1999 or you did not bother to watch that team play. Avery put up 20 ppg in the Minnesota series. He dominated in the Portland series as well, sticking it to Damon who had made claims that no team run by avery would ever win a championship.

That team destoryed a laker team that had shaq and Kobe. That team destroyed a Portland team that took LA to 7 games the next year. That team dominated the last couple months of the season. THat team would have won 65 games that year if the whole season had been played, they were that good and that dominant on defense.

elbamba
10-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I hate when fucking analysts do that shit when their giving their picks and say the spurs as long as they are healthy will be a contender but they don't even think about this happening to other teams.

I think that this is because other teams can win through injuries, unless it is Kobe. THe Lakers have won without players like Bynum because when it is all said and done he is overrated and not that important to LA.

The celtics lost last year because they did not have KG, it is a given that he has to be healthy, although they picked up a pretty solid insurance plan in Wallace.

THe spurs need the big three healthy or we do not stand a chance. Manu has shown that this is true the last two years. A healthy Tim and TOny could not get us past LA in 2008.