PDA

View Full Version : Tension between Okafor and teammates

djohn2oo8
10-23-2009, 01:14 PM
"Less than a week before the start of the season, the New Orleans Hornets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nor/;_ylt=AvmzSLnOQ3xD8TScjoH5WhJzK7J_) still don’t know what to make of new center Emeka Okafor (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3819/;_ylt=AksVybDAOmHJCNO3Asg0JhNzK7J_)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3819/news;_ylt=AjHliqBHPUGHPTgRR8oONCpzK7J_). He has yet to play or even practice with them, and his prolonged absence has some team members privately shaking their heads.Okafor has missed all seven of the Hornets’ preseason games because of a strained toe on his right foot. He isn’t expected to play in Friday’s preseason finale against the Los Angeles Clippers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/lac/;_ylt=Auvzjho7TPn63minuJwwaaVzK7J_) and his status for Wednesday’s season opener against the San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/;_ylt=AiksDydr6xajgghiTbiBwVdzK7J_) remains in doubt.

An NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Okafor was cleared to play by the Hornets’ medical staff two weeks ago and by his own doctor a week later. Most of Okafor’s teammates know he has been cleared and are eager to see whether he works out with them for the first time over the weekend.
“He better practice Sunday or he could lose some guys,” one Hornet said.
Prior to the Hornets’ shootaround on Thursday morning, Okafor acknowledged he has been medically cleared to play “based on how I feel.” He said he hopes to practice on Sunday.“He might have been cleared medically, but from a mental standpoint he is not cleared,” New Orleans coach Byron Scott said. “In his mind, he says he’s not ready. When you have a guy that says he is not ready, the worst thing you can do is force him to get out there.”The Hornets made Okafor their big offseason acquisition after acquiring him from the Charlotte Bobcats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/cha/;_ylt=AjJ02O7SQ.LcaXxugvWcqBRzK7J_) in a trade for oft-injured center Tyson Chandler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3512/;_ylt=AtcZLDlocmD3dj2MKRgsEhFzK7J_)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3512/news;_ylt=AgZLA6LL0gub0MywwFz_uW1zK7J_). Okafor injured his toe just before training camp began and said the initial plan was for him to play his first preseason game last Saturday. But after the toe was still sore when he tested it on Oct. 12, he said he needed to take a more cautious approach with the injury.

So far, Okafor hasn’t participated in anything with his teammates aside from walking through the Hornets’ offense during one practice. Point guard Chris Paul (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3930/;_ylt=At89KVtKX93U1p9FCh6_IuhzK7J_)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3930/news;_ylt=AjJGKmGH_ij18B4jWcTojyFzK7J_) coaxed him to participate in the walk-through, one team source said.“We have to find a way to get him integrated into what we are trying to do,” Hornets forward David West (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3721/;_ylt=AkYi3lZj6cTnlYwNLFDhmrRzK7J_)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3721/news;_ylt=AjMIGdTNH6r2y7y6I1HynNlzK7J_) said

Okafor’s absence in practice has kept him from building any chemistry with his new teammates and limited his conditioning. Okafor, who thinks he can get in shape quickly, said the Hornets have put no pressure on him to return, but that he’s planning on playing in the season-opener.

“If a guy tells me he’s hurt, I have to believe him,” Scott said. “We have to do everything we can to make sure that when he comes back he is healthy.”Okafor said the injury has been more serious than it appears.
“You can ask anyone that’s had a toe injury, it sounds super weak and it sounds like an insignificant thing,” Okafor said. “But that’s your foundation. You can have a nice house, and a foundation has a crack in it and then it’s all for naught. The whole thing comes crumbling down.
“People don’t realize how much your toe has to do with your movements. That’s carrying your whole weight. If something is off that carries your whole weight and you’re not careful, it’s something that can trickle and cause other things to mess up. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. You want to give your body a chance to not only heal short-term, but long-term.”

After losing in the first round of last season’s playoffs, the Hornets are counting on Okafor to help return them among the Western Conference’s top contenders. Though Okafor was initially shocked by his trade from Charlotte, he said he’s “really excited” to play in New Orleans. He’s slowly getting to know his teammates, a process made tougher given Chandler’s popularity in the locker room.
Still, the Hornets are confident Okafor can produce more than Chandler, who played in only 45 games last season. The Hornets initially traded Chandler to Oklahoma City in February only to have the deal voided over concerns about his turf toe condition. Okafor averaged 13.2 points, 10.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks last season and has played in all 82 games each of the past two seasons.“This is a big year for [Okafor],” Scott said. “As far as the critics are concerned, he can shut up a whole lot of people. We brought him here because he can score in the low post and take some pressure off Chris and David and give us that third guy. If he can do the things and deliver the things that we talked about, then he is going to be successful.”

But while Okafor’s stats and résumé look good, the antsy Hornets are more than ready to see him play in person.“We got guys that can play,” West said. “But Emeka came into this league as a starter. He knows what it’s like to be on the floor and counted on. We need his presence.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArQx.yCplOSf2fpc.8D_.CE5nYcB?slug=mc-okaforhornets102209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Allanon
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
My first impression is that he's being lazy....and that's kind of shocking coming from Okafur.

Mel_13
10-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Scott doesn't survive this season.

JamStone
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Lol

Wasn't one of the reasons they traded Tyson Chandler his inability to stay healthy?

Iceman101
10-23-2009, 01:35 PM
lol hornets

redzero
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Fuck, stop being lazy, Okafor. Goddammit.

Morg1411
10-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Okafar and Paul must be having a spat. :downspin:

Pero
10-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Redzero, WTH is that in your sig???

redzero
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Redzero, WTH is that in your sig???

Red trapdoor spider.

ySXCdcnKBgg

crc21209
10-23-2009, 02:20 PM
And so the problems are already beginning for the Hornets....

jb4g
10-23-2009, 02:23 PM
ruh roh.

Allanon
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I expect BR to come in later tonight in a drunken rage, son.

wireonfire
10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
My first impression is that he's being lazy....and that's kind of shocking coming from Okafur.

Yeah, it is kinda sad. I liked him quite a bit when he was in college. He seemed to be a nice, hardworking guy.

The Franchise
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM

He seems like he just doesn't want to be there.

Ghazi
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
121-63

21_Blessings
10-23-2009, 04:10 PM
121-63

2007, 1st round choke job of the century.

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 04:11 PM
lol at all the Hornets fans who demanded Tyson Chandlers head on a platter after he had ONE off year due to an injury. sure Okafor's numbers are better than Tyson's, but Tyson had irreplaceable chemistry with the team and especially with Paul. hopefully this shit works out. I think Okafor is just being a lazy, spoiled, pro-athlete.

Ghazi
10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
2007, 1st round choke job of the century.

121-63 was worse

Allanon
10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
He seems like he just doesn't want to be there.

If you're right, that's even worse.

You know you got problems when a guy fresh off the world beating Bobcats doesn't want to be on your team. :lol

jazzypimp
10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
lol at all the Hornets fans who demanded Tyson Chandlers head on a platter after he had ONE off year due to an injury. sure Okafor's numbers are better than Tyson's, but Tyson had irreplaceable chemistry with the team and especially with Paul. hopefully this shit works out. I think Okafor is just being a lazy, spoiled, pro-athlete.

That and the fact that Tyson took one for the team with what he did to Ghazi's wife and all! Makes Tyson a fan favorite!

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
121-63 was worse

oh please sissy ... the Hornets have absolutely OWNED the Mavericks for the last two seasons just like Tyson Chandler still owns your wife.

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 04:16 PM
That and the fact that Tyson took one for the team with what he did to Ghazi's wife and all! Makes Tyson a fan favorite!

son that is true ... Ghazi's wife likes to call Tyson by the name of Mike (Tyson) because he beats that thing with a passion!

Ghazi
10-23-2009, 04:17 PM
121-63

21_Blessings
10-23-2009, 04:17 PM
121-63 was worse

Nah. Winning MVP then failing to beat the 8 seed is worse.

Ghazi
10-23-2009, 04:19 PM
1 and 8 are just numbers, tool.

BRHornet45

LMAO son I'll mothafuckin co-sign that!

Allanon
121-63 was pretty rough, but the Bay Area Beating is historical.

jazzypimp
10-23-2009, 04:21 PM
son that is true ... Ghazi's wife likes to call Tyson by the name of Mike (Tyson) because he beats that thing with a passion!

:lol Rumor has it that after Tyson plows Ghazi's wife he sits on Ghazi's face and chants "how my ass taste?"

Ghazi
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
121-63 was pretty rough, but the Bay Area Beating is historical.

121-63 was historical, too.

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
:lol Rumor has it that after Tyson plows Ghazi's wife he sits on Ghazi's face and chants "how my ass taste?"

son Ghazi is into some weird cuckold fetish shit ... he enjoys sitting at the edge of the bed watching his wife get plowed and cheering them on. sick, sick man

jazzypimp
10-23-2009, 04:26 PM
son Ghazi is into some weird cuckold fetish shit ... he enjoys sitting at the edge of the bed watching his wife get plowed and cheering them on. sick, sick man

Are you saying he liked to stare deep into Tysons brown eye? :lmao

The Franchise
10-23-2009, 04:28 PM
If you're right, that's even worse.

You know you got problems when a guy fresh off the world beating Bobcats doesn't want to be on your team. :lol

It is pretty sad, but he just isn't putting any effort towards bonding with his teammates. He says it's because of his foot, but that has no effect on being around, and showing support for your team until you can play. He is pretty much saying fuck the Hornets with his attitude.

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Are you saying he liked to stare deep into Tysons brown eye? :lmao

son his fetish with Tyson is really bizarre.

redzero
10-23-2009, 04:39 PM
1 and 8 are just numbers when they apply to my team, tool.

Fixed for accuracy.

Shank
10-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Way to stay on-point.

Losing an argument? Bring up the Mavs!

Allanon
10-23-2009, 04:42 PM
It is pretty sad, but he just isn't putting any effort towards bonding with his teammates. He says it's because of his foot, but that has no effect on being around, and showing support for your team until you can play. He is pretty much saying fuck the Hornets with his attitude.

Yup, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Okafur has always been that one blue-collar dude you could rely upon. That's been his biggest asset...never seemed like the Superstar Hollywood or prima donna type.

I don't quite understand what's up with this.

redzero
10-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Way to stay on-point.

Losing an argument? Bring up the Mavs!

Who's even in an argument?

Findog
10-23-2009, 04:45 PM
All kidding aside, I think 121-63 have a chance to rebound this year after losing to the Nuggets in the first round.

Findog
10-23-2009, 04:48 PM

Well...would you want to play for 121-63 when you know the organization and George Shinn are not ultimately committing to spending the money necessary to win? They tried to trade Chandler for spares before they lucked into Okafor.

Shank
10-23-2009, 04:52 PM
A lot of the magazines I'm reading have 121-63 somewhere around 7th in the West. But if Okafor's not in the fold, then 121-63 might have a hard time making the playoffs.

Findog
10-23-2009, 04:54 PM
A lot of the magazines I'm reading have 121-63 somewhere around 7th in the West. But if Okafor's not in the fold, then 121-63 might have a hard time making the playoffs.

It's just going to depend on their depth. Two years ago 121-63 finished 2nd in the West bc of the contributions they got from Peja, among others. But he's regressed. Somebody besides West and CP3 is going to have to step up if 121-63 wants to return to the upper echelon of the West.

TJastal
10-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Yup, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Okafur has always been that one blue-collar dude you could rely upon. That's been his biggest asset...never seemed like the Superstar Hollywood or prima donna type.

I don't quite understand what's up with this.

I think he's just going through what I'd term "the clipper effect", where you slowly stop caring about basketball, teammates, .. life..

It's probably not out of the realm of possibility he just plain doesn't care for Chris Paul either.

Findog
10-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I think he's just going through what I'd term "the clipper effect", where you slowly stop caring about basketball, teammates, .. life..

Are you saying that playing for 121-63 is like Bill Murray in Lost in Translation?

Iceman101
10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
It's just going to depend on their depth. Two years ago 121-63 finished 2nd in the West bc of the contributions they got from Peja, among others. But he's regressed. Somebody besides West and CP3 is going to have to step up if 121-63 wants to return to the upper echelon of the West.

That was a fluke season

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Well...would you want to play for 121-63 when you know the organization and George Shinn are not ultimately committing to spending the money necessary to win? They tried to trade Chandler for spares before they lucked into Okafor.

son your ignorance is comical lol ... you do realize that they took on even more money with Okafor than they would have with keeping Chandler right? you do realize that the Hornets will have one of the highest payrolls this season?

Peja - $14.2M
Paul - $13.5M
Okafor - $10.5M
West - $9.2M
Peterson - $6.2M
Posey - $6.0M
Rest of the scrubs - $14M+

son Shinn is committed to winning and has proven that over the last 3 years. They got SCREWED with the ridiculous Peja signing which is now strangle holding them from spending that $14-15M on other key players. We aren't blessed to have a CELEBRITY BILLIONAIRE owner like you guys are (hence why the Mavericks are even relevant in the first place). For the smallest market in the NBA, we are doing just fine.

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 05:06 PM
That was a fluke season

son its funny how you say our 56 win season two years ago was a fluke ... last year we won 49 games whenever our season was full of injuries. how do you explain us winning 49 games whenever we didn't have Tyson or Peja for nearly half the season? guess that was a fluke too.

Findog
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
son your ignorance is comical lol ... you do realize that they took on even more money with Okafor than they would have with keeping Chandler right? you do realize that the Hornets will have one of the highest payrolls this season?

Peja - $14.2M
Paul - $13.5M
Okafor - $10.5M
West - $9.2M
Peterson - $6.2M
Posey - $6.0M
Rest of the scrubs - $14M+

son Shinn is committed to winning and has proven that over the last 3 years. They got SCREWED with the ridiculous Peja signing which is now strangle holding them from spending that $14-15M on other key players. We aren't blessed to have a CELEBRITY BILLIONAIRE owner like you guys are (hence why the Mavericks are even relevant in the first place). For the smallest market in the NBA, we are doing just fine.

Hey man, I'm not hating on 121-63. I'm just saying that historically Shinn has tried to cut corners.

Iceman101
10-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Now you guys have Okafor, good luck with that

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey man, I'm not hating on 121-63. I'm just saying that historically Shinn has tried to cut corners.

well you're right about that. Shinn was a well known cheapskate in Charlotte and in his first few seasons here. However, his attitude has changed over the last 3 or 4 years.

Regardless of how shitty the Peja contract worked out, he still dished out a huge 5 year, $64M deal for him .... that kind of contract was unheard of for Shinn to do in the past. He also acquired Chandler's big contract from Chicago, resigned D West to a big deal, etc. Same thing with the Posey signing last season and resigning Paul to the huge extension... back in the Charlotte days, Shinn always let his talent go the moment they could demand top dollar.

Iceman101
10-23-2009, 05:15 PM
well you're right about that. Shinn was a well known cheapskate in Charlotte and in his first few seasons here. However, his attitude has changed over the last 3 or 4 years.

Regardless of how shitty the Peja contract worked out, he still dished out a huge 5 year, $64M deal for him .... that kind of contract was unheard of for Shinn to do in the past. Same thing with the Posey signing last season and resigning Paul to the huge extension... back in the Charlotte days, Shinn always let his talent go the moment they could demand top dollar.

At least its not as bad as signing Dampier to a 75 million dollar contract, at least Peja used to be good, as opposed to Erica

Findog
10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
At least its not as bad as signing Dampier to a 75 million dollar contract, at least Peja used to be good, as opposed to Erica

Dampier's wildly overpaid, but if you think he doesn't contribute, I don't know what to tell you. Any metric will tell you Dallas' defense is much better when he's on the court versus off. If he signed for the MLE, nobody would ever say anything bad about him.

BRHornet45
10-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Peja has only given us one productive season in three years and it wasn't anything to brag about (15PPG). I am hopeful though with Peja now coming off of the bench that he can AT LEAST be useful.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Shinn obviously isn't cheap, he's just an idiot.

Shank
10-23-2009, 05:37 PM

You always have to overpay for big men. He's overpaid, yes, but he's been serviceable. His biggest payoff this season should be his expiring contract.

Iceman101
10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
He's in a shit-hole. Why else would he be holding out.

The French Quarter is quite nice in N.O., so it's not a complete shit hole

Thompson
10-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Possibly, but not necessarily. Toe injuries can actually be serious; you never realize how much you rely on them until they're hurt. If you don't let them heal completely, they linger for a long time. Better to be too cautious than not cautious enough.

Mavs_man_41
10-23-2009, 07:49 PM

you being a fucking pussy is worse than both

Lars
10-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Poor Hornets

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2009, 09:54 PM
this guy isnt even in howards shadow no more

just another player on the court makin up the numbers to play 5on5

so much for a first pick

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-23-2009, 10:36 PM

Fuck, stop being lazy, Okafor. Goddammit.

:rolleyes @ freakin reactionaries.

People's personailities don't change much after their late teens. Okafor is still the hard-worker he always was. He's had an injury that he clearly wants to recover properly from so that it doesn't become an issue down the road:

“You can ask anyone that’s had a toe injury, it sounds super weak and it sounds like an insignificant thing,” Okafor said. “But that’s your foundation. You can have a nice house, and a foundation has a crack in it and then it’s all for naught. The whole thing comes crumbling down.
“People don’t realize how much your toe has to do with your movements. That’s carrying your whole weight. If something is off that carries your whole weight and you’re not careful, it’s something that can trickle and cause other things to mess up. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. You want to give your body a chance to not only heal short-term, but long-term.”

Ever had a bum toe and tried to play sport? Doesn't work. He's trying to avoid becoming Chandler.

Austin_Toros
10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Why can't Okafor handle it "mentally"?
stop being a baby and just play

redzero
10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh shi--Peja's actually making shots? Crazy.

Pero
10-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Red trapdoor spider.

ySXCdcnKBgg

Man I hope I won't have nightmares because of this thing. :lol

pauls931
10-24-2009, 11:06 AM
I didn't read a single post, but I assume it's because none of them can ever be as black as he is.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Is anyone else having a tough time distinguishing between the Mav blue and the Hornet blue of the screen names?

DJB
10-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Red trapdoor spider.

ySXCdcnKBgg

That thing is fuckin scary.