PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm about to finish my schooling. End of grade 12 is not far away.
But what I would like to know is whether I should take a year off and work, a gap year or go straight to university. What do you all think?

xellos88330
10-24-2009, 12:15 AM
I would work part time, and go to school part time just to keep you in the habit of learning and stuff.

Nbadan
10-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Yep....work a few hours a week, even if you have to deliver pizza, whatever, and take a few classes at a local community college...

David Bowie
10-24-2009, 12:29 AM
It's pretty easy to find work at school if you have a work-study scholarship type deal. I worked part time throughout most of school and then went to school. What are you majoring in? If you are majoring in the liberal arts, then college is probably going to be easier them high school. If you are majoring in math/science/computers, its probably going to be harder. But overall, I don't think that you would have a problem working part time and going to school.

Udokafan05
10-24-2009, 12:33 AM
I took 2 years off after high school, but now regret it. Best to just get all schooling done with.

TDMVPDPOY
10-24-2009, 12:57 AM
how was muckup day for u?

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2009, 01:35 AM
we have something good planned. a mate and i ;)

i think ill probably go to uni
bachelor of psychological science

David Bowie
10-24-2009, 01:37 AM
^ That was my roomate's major. There are a couple of science classes and a math class that you need to take, but overall, its not bad. I think you'll have time to work and study.

TDMVPDPOY
10-24-2009, 02:02 AM
we have something good planned. a mate and i ;)

i think ill probably go to uni
bachelor of psychological science

i see

had a friend did that at melb uni....dunno if shes practicing but wtf gives a shit....

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2009, 07:26 AM
^ That was my roomate's major. There are a couple of science classes and a math class that you need to take, but overall, its not bad. I think you'll have time to work and study.

yeah i'm hoping so. its probably not too different to school i assume

DieMrBond
10-24-2009, 11:29 AM
After school, i went straight into University... well, after that summer break obviously.
Worked part time to pay for Uni books, supplies, etc.

Then i took about 6 months off after i graduated, and then got a job...

Not a perfect career path, but it worked for me... My theory was to get the University out of the way while i was younger, and it didnt matter so much that I wasnt making any real money yet.

BacktoBasics
10-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I would decide what you want to do with your life before wasting a shit ton of money on school. Way too many people piss away a year or two of college because the general consensus is that you don't have to decide right away. Ultimately if you go in with no game plan you're likely to piss away a good chunk of funds.

Twisted_Dawg
10-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Get into plastics, Ben. Get into plastics.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Get into plastics, Ben. Get into plastics.

That's after college, numbnuts. :lol

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the input so far. Giving me a few extra points to think about

iggypop123
10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
i have taken winter off and it hurts me so a yr would be catastrophic dont do it

mookie2001
10-24-2009, 05:52 PM
After school, i went straight into University... well, after that summer break obviously.
Worked part time to pay for Uni books, supplies, etc.

Then i took about 6 months off after i graduated, and then got a job...

Not a perfect career path, but it worked for me... My theory was to get the University out of the way while i was younger, and it didnt matter so much that I wasnt making any real money yet.crazy stuff right there

EmptyMan
10-24-2009, 08:22 PM
If you know what you want to do for a career, and feel strongly about it, go straight to University.

If you don't really have a fire for something yet, go out in the real world, work for a year, see how much life sucks, and then you will be hungry enough to battle through 4 more years of school.

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2009, 09:51 PM
yeah i know i want to do psychology so i may as well head straight in

baseline bum
10-24-2009, 10:55 PM

Sounds pretty bad if you only get to take a couple of science classes and ONLY one math class.

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2009, 12:39 AM
what do you mean baseline bum?

baseline bum
10-25-2009, 01:34 AM
what do you mean baseline bum?

Math and physics classes rule (CS too if it's not taught with fucking PowerPoint).

CubanSucks
10-25-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm seeing it with so many of my old classmates, what you think will be "a year off to work" ends up being "never went to college"

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2009, 06:16 AM
If you know what you want to do for a career, and feel strongly about it, go straight to University.

If you don't really have a fire for something yet, go out in the real world, work for a year, see how much life sucks, and then you will be hungry enough to battle through 4 more years of school.

Good advice...

yeah i know i want to do psychology so i may as well head straight in

but it sounds like you know what you want.

Back in the day I was meant to go to the UK for a year after finishing the HSC, but that fell through so I went to Uni. Dropped out 6 weeks later (I was burned out and needed a break from books), spent a depressing year working shitty jobs in Canberra (should have travelled, but had no money). Went to Uni the following year and worked 30 hours a week as a cabbie during my degree. Done ten other things since, and now have a Masters and work for myself acting on things I feel strongly about.

I told that little tale to point out that whatever you choose it is not necessarily where you'll end up, and that is just fine... it's life. Follow what feels right to you, and try to make it something your believe in and are passionate about, and that contributes to a better world. You probably don't quite know what you're looking for yet, but life will help you to find it if you make a few wise choices. :hat

Oh, and I agree with baseline - don't shy away from maths and science subjects! Science is rigourous training in critical thinking, and if you are more suited to essay writing then maybe you should be doing arts or law. Actually, go talk to a career counsellor at your school or a local uni - they can help a lot with these kinds of questions.

KidCongo
10-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Kurt I'm in the same boat as you. Got my final three exams this week then I'm done with high school.

I'm just spending this summer-time at the beach as my last time without responsibility :lol Except I have a job teaching kids how to play cricket although it could just be child minding after school for some parents. 90 bucks for 2hrs of work a week is pretty good compared to my mates shift work in shitty dish pig jobs :lol

My plans to go to UC next year- A coaching science/sports management double degree. I really don't think I'll get the ATAR needed for some of the science courses at ANU. Parents said to me they'd pay full accommodation expenses at ANU or Wollongong if I went there but I'm going to have to fork out for about 3/4 of the expenses if I go to UC (I guess that was there motivation for me to try harder). For me that's alright as I've got plenty of money saved and small inheritance but I'm going to have to find part-time work quickly in Canberra or my account will dry up quicker than I want it too :lol

I'm different to you no doubt but I really want to get out of the place I live. Town is too small, nothing to do except the local pub on friday night. So thats one of the main reasons I want to go to uni. Some of the guys who I play cricket with told me I can always travel in the uni holidays so I'll follow their mantra.

Good luck bro.

HotRod
10-25-2009, 08:06 AM
haha nothing wrong with mixing school and part time work.. long as the jobs not too shitty and the schoolings not to extreme..

balance=good

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Kurt I'm in the same boat as you. Got my final three exams this week then I'm done with high school.

I'm just spending this summer-time at the beach as my last time without responsibility :lol Except I have a job teaching kids how to play cricket although it could just be child minding after school for some parents. 90 bucks for 2hrs of work a week is pretty good compared to my mates shift work in shitty dish pig jobs :lol

My plans to go to UC next year- A coaching science/sports management double degree. I really don't think I'll get the ATAR needed for some of the science courses at ANU. Parents said to me they'd pay full accommodation expenses at ANU or Wollongong if I went there but I'm going to have to fork out for about 3/4 of the expenses if I go to UC (I guess that was there motivation for me to try harder). For me that's alright as I've got plenty of money saved and small inheritance but I'm going to have to find part-time work quickly in Canberra or my account will dry up quicker than I want it too :lol

I'm different to you no doubt but I really want to get out of the place I live. Town is too small, nothing to do except the local pub on friday night. So thats one of the main reasons I want to go to uni. Some of the guys who I play cricket with told me I can always travel in the uni holidays so I'll follow their mantra.

Good luck bro.

Drop me a PM next year when you are in Canberra and we'll shoot some hoop or have a beer. :tu

makedamnsure
10-26-2009, 02:43 AM
I know here in the States it seems like it's frowned upon to take a year off between high school and college, but overseas it seems to be the norm. I know of loads of people who have taken a gap year, traveled around the world then come back for uni.