PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs fall in final preseason tuneup

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Spurs fall in final preseason tuneup (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_fall_in_final_preseason_tuneup.html)
By Jeff McDonald - SAEN

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — There are myriad reasons why the NBA preseason can quickly begin to wear on many veteran players.

For Spurs center Matt Bonner, disenchantment with this exhibition season boils down to just one thing. He's tired of hanging out in the women's locker room.

For the second game in a row Friday night, the Spurs occupied a dressing room typically inhabited by a women's college team. This time, they dressed for a 114-112 loss to the Indiana Pacers in the Assembly Hall locker room usually assigned to the Indiana University women's softball team.

“These are the only two times I've been in the women's locker room,” Bonner said, changing in a stall belonging to a senior outfielder named Jennifer Glueckert. “As far as I know.”

With the preseason now over and the regular season poised to begin Wednesday against New Orleans, Friday ought to be the last time for the Spurs in women's digs for quite a while.

Another “last” to happen Friday? It's probably the last time Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will close a game with a lineup that includes Keith Bogans, Marcus Haislip, Ian Mahinmi and Malik Hairston instead of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson.

Against a lineup composed mostly of Indiana's starters, that group of reserves — led by George Hill at point — brought the Spurs back from 10 points down in the fourth.

“The energy and activity was great,” Popovich said. “Those young guys are learning, making the right kind of mistakes. They gave us some good play on the road.

“Now it's over,” Popovich said. “And it's time to get ready for New Orleans.”

Popovich was in such a hurry to finish the preseason that he let Parker draw up the game's final play, to win it or lose it.

The Spurs were within a basket with 15.7 seconds left, when Bogans stole a Dahntay Jones inbound pass intended for Danny Granger. During the ensuing timeout, Parker sketched a play that would have gotten a potential game-winning 3-pointer for Hill, an Indianapolis native playing 45 miles from home.

The ball never made it to Hill. Jones harassed Bogans into picking up his dribble near the top of the 3-point arc, then swatted away a desperation fadeaway at the horn.

Still, the Spurs' comeback was nice for what it was.

“I think that shows we have depth,” Hill said. “We're looking forward to getting better so when the season comes, we can push forward and get our goal.”

On what amounted to George Hill Night in Bloomington, the man of the hour was brilliant again. Hill, a second-year backup guard, scored a team-leading 21 points and nearly orchestrated the fourth-quarter rally.

“His confidence has really skyrocketed,” Popovich said. “Obviously he feels more at home. He's not worried about making a team this year. He knows he's already part of the family.”

Duncan had 15 points, 11 rebounds and six assists in less than 23 minutes, while Parker scored 14.

Granger had 29 points and 14 rebounds for Indiana, but it took him 29 shots to get there.

The Spurs were 2 of 16 from 3-point range, after going 14 of 19 against the Thunder on Tuesday in Austin, where they also dressed in the women's locker room.

Still, the Spurs got what they came for Friday night — a painless end to the monotony of the preseason. They finished 4-3, a mark nobody will remember come Wednesday.

The next time they step on the court, it will be for a game that counts. They can be men again.

“We mostly just fine-tune during the preseason,” veteran center Theo Ratliff said. “Now the real season begins.”

completely deck
10-24-2009, 01:29 AM
So the play was for Hill after all. I'd thought they'd do that.

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 01:30 AM
The Spurs were within a basket with 15.7 seconds left, when Bogans stole a Dahntay Jones inbound pass intended for Danny Granger.

The way I understood it, Hairston stole the ball, got it up ahead to Bogans, and then Bogans had the balled knocked away, out of bounds, while attempting to make a pass.

During the ensuing timeout, Parker sketched a play that would have gotten a potential game-winning 3-pointer for Hill, an Indianapolis native playing 45 miles from home.

Too bad the hometown kid didn't get the opportunity to win the game with a buzzer-beater; if only they'd run a better play..

KYP, Tony...

KYP. :hat

Danny.Zhu
10-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Another “last” to happen Friday? It's probably the last time Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will close a game with a lineup that includes Keith Bogans, Marcus Haislip, Ian Mahinmi and Malik Hairston instead of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson.

Wrong. McDonald forgot garbage time scenarios...

EricB
10-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Wrong. McDonald forgot garbage time scenarios...

seriously?
I mean, really?

Baseline
10-24-2009, 02:55 AM
We'll kill New Orleans. I watched them play the Clippers tonight and they looked horrible. Granted, Chris Paul didn't play, but they're really banged up and the season hasn't even started. They just don't have any weapons. They can't even do the chandler alley-oops now, so it's just Paul and D. West. They're a two-man team.

Okafor might still be out, and they're in disarray. Peja is absolutely horrible. Without Okafor, our bigs will annihilate them. Blair might have a 30-25 night. In 18 minutes.

phyzik
10-24-2009, 03:00 AM
I cant WAIT until the season starts, but on the other side of the token, I cant WAIT until after the all-star break to see what this team looks like.

Although opposing teams fans (especially Laker Fans) wont admit it, this is a VERY scarry fucking Spurs team. If the big 3 stay healthy, I dont see them losing to anyone in the playoffs.

ceperez
10-24-2009, 07:17 AM
There were a couple of awkward combinations in the floor, particularly during the scoring droughts.

Would have liked to see them play Hill more. He went wild in the 2nd quarter only to have him cooled down until he got back in the 4th.

Blair definitely is going to have trouble against the bigger centers in defense.

There was also a stretch where Haislip played badly and then a stretch where he began to assert himself. I just think that he's got to fix his jump shot. He seems to let the ball go not at the peak of his jump but rather as he starts going down. Maybe that's why he was blocked 3 times.

Mahinmi has a decent offensive game... unfortunately that's not what the Spurs need from him. They need a Theo Ratliff like player. We got one in our bench but he's built of glass.

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 07:42 AM
There was also a stretch where Haislip played badly and then a stretch where he began to assert himself. I just think that he's got to fix his jump shot. He seems to let the ball go not at the peak of his jump but rather as he starts going down. Maybe that's why he was blocked 3 times.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Hill looks to have had yet another good game
but when we arent playing stars for many minutes and they play granger for 40mins, they were always going to get up i guess

benefactor
10-24-2009, 07:47 AM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
You found that funny too, eh? Maybe he has some sort of secret access to some game film.

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 07:53 AM
You found that funny too, eh? Maybe he has some sort of secret access to some game film.

Well, that.

Mostly it was his desperate struggle to find a silver lining in Haislip's play this preseason after all the posts he started projecting Haislip as the backup SF, an NBA 3pt shooter, a Dirk-stopper, and many other things he'll never, ever be.

He's also the idiot that bumped the 2008 "Hairston Waived" thread yesterday and thought it was funny.

benefactor
10-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Well, that.

Mostly it was his desperate struggle to find a silver lining in Haislip's play this preseason after all the posts he started projecting Haislip as the backup SF, an NBA 3pt shooter, a Dirk-stopper, and many other things he'll never, ever be.

He's also the idiot that bumped the 2008 "Hairston Waived" thread yesterday and thought it was funny.
It's kinda ironic considering he wants Bogans gone after a few preseason games...and Bogans has played more rotation minutes for NBA teams than Haislip will probably ever play.

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 07:59 AM
It's kinda ironic considering he wants Bogans gone after a few preseason games...and Bogans has played more rotation minutes for NBA teams than Haislip will probably ever play.

Ironic

Disingenuous

Moronic

Idiotic

Damn, where's my thesaurus?

ceperez
10-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Well, that.

Hey, I'm not a Bogans fan especially if Hairston gets dumped as a result of his signing.

Yeah, didn't you almost get a heart attack when you saw that 'Hairston Waived' thread? Well that's because nobody (including you) wants him waived.

Yes, I got my fingers crossed that Haislip is going to be our Dirk stopper. I can't seriously believe that Bogans can ever fill that role.

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Yes, I got my fingers crossed that Haislip is going to be our Dirk stopper.

I've got my fingers crossed that Congress will pass an effective health care bill with no pork.

celldweller
10-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't understand why some people are so quick to defend K. Bogans. The Dude sucks! There's a reason why a player in his 6th year is only making $825,497. Sure I guess he might play above average defense (if you say so), but his way below average offense makes him a liability. From what I've seen or heard (Game time radio) thus far Hairston > Bogans (X2).

ajballer4
10-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Dirks hair is crazy this year

ceperez
10-24-2009, 09:17 AM

That's because we already have a guy like Bogans.... a guy who just stands on the 3point line and waits till he gets an open shot.... a guy who does not have the speed or athleticism to take it to the hoop. We got Finley.

Now I prefer Finley over Bogans. He's bigger, he's got playoff experience and he's taken and made clutch shots.

So why bother keeping another clone of Finley?

On the other hand, guys like Haislip, Mahinmi, Williams and Hairston contribute something different to the lineup.

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
thus far Hairston > Bogans (X2).

seems that way, doesnt it

ulosturedge
10-24-2009, 09:34 AM
seems that way, doesnt it

Seems that way? It is that way...

wildbill2u
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I've finally figured Pop out. He always wants a relatively useless veteran on the bench who can go in to lost games and not lose his confidence. Meet Bogans

Seventyniner
10-24-2009, 11:22 AM
David Robinson would also shoot on his way down. I guess his height and vertical led to him not getting blocked on those.

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 01:20 PM
I've got my fingers crossed that Congress will pass an effective health care bill with no pork.

I don't want to go all Pedro Cerrano on you but..

You'd be better off finding a live chicken and some rum for Jobu. :hat

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't want to go all Pedro Cerrano on you but..

You'd be better off finding a live chicken and some rum for Jobu. :hat

I still stop flipping channels whenever I see that movie and just watch it until the end.

Classic.

Congress on health care is still a better bet than Haislip on Dirk.

CGD
10-24-2009, 01:32 PM
There were a couple of awkward combinations in the floor, particularly during the scoring droughts.

There was also a stretch where Haislip played badly and then a stretch where he began to assert himself. I just think that he's got to fix his jump shot. He seems to let the ball go not at the peak of his jump but rather as he starts going down.

So like S. Marion?

manu_maniac
10-24-2009, 01:57 PM
I just took a quick glance at the boxscore and noticed RJ had a +4 in a loss, despite making 8 points on 2/7 and not really having any other notable stats. Does this mean he was playing pretty well on defense?

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I still stop flipping channels whenever I see that movie and just watch it until the end.

Classic.

:tu

Congress on health care is still a better bet than Haislip on Dirk.

What if Haislip was allowed to use the actual bill in guarding Dirk, though?

He could stand on it, use it as a weapon, and maybe even make his head explode if he could force him to read it..

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 02:02 PM
What if Haislip was allowed to use the actual bill in guarding Dirk, though?

He could stand on it, use it as a weapon, and maybe even make his head explode if he could force him to read it..

OK, then. Haislip plus a 1500 page bill might be able to guard Dirk.

manu_maniac
10-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow, I just realized Indiana played Granger for 40 minutes and played 3 others over 30 minutes. They really took their chances in a pre-season game, but to be fair, they had 5 guys injured on their roster. They really could have used some bodies.