PDA

View Full Version : Manu: New article in La Nacion

jalberto
10-24-2009, 08:05 AM
http://www.canchallena.com/1190025-el-unico-objetivo-es-salir-campeon

SAN ANTONIO.– Lo más importante que quiero contarles es que estoy bien de salud, sin dolores, supongo que definitivamente curado y tratando de recuperar mi juego. Creo que estoy en ocho puntos. Me falta mejorar un poco el tiro y tener más reacción en defensa, pero teniendo en cuenta que recién terminó la pretemporada, esto es normal para la mayoría de los jugadores. Además, a mí siempre me cuesta un poco más entrar en ritmo. Voy despacio. También me falta llegar hasta abajo del aro en las penetraciones. Lo intenté poco, pero no sé si por falta de potencia o de confianza, me cuesta ir hasta bien cerca del aro.

Además, estoy conforme con el tiempo que me tocó jugar en la pretemporada; contra Oklahoma tuve 23 minutos en la cancha. No sé cómo será en el comienzo de la serie regular, pero me gustaría jugar bastante para sentirme útil y empezar a sintonizar con los compañeros nuevos.

En realidad, me resulta gratificante volver a viajar con el equipo, hacía tiempo que no lo hacía, pero no tengo esa adrenalina que se siente en lo previo a una final. Diría que siento una expectativa doble porque el martes próximo comienza el torneo y yo vuelvo a jugar después de mucho tiempo. Será lindo volver a ponerme la camiseta y sentir que la gente grita un doble.

Con respecto al rendimiento del equipo en la pretemporada, hay que resaltar que Pop (Gregg Popovich) acostumbra a utilizar mucho a los suplentes para no desgastar a los titulares. Pero igual quiero mencionar a George Hill y DeJuan Blair. Fueron los mejores. Creo que Blair será una gran sorpresa. Apenas supera los dos metros, pero tiene mucha actitud y fervor para pelear los rebotes y anota fácil. Es muy intenso y lucha con fuerza cada balón. Si peleás una pelota con él, te arranca el brazo... Hacía tiempo que no teníamos un pivote tan atlético e intenso. Aunque es el cuarto pivote del equipo, hay mucha esperanza sobre su aporte. De todos modos, el titular supongo que será Matt Bonner, porque con su tiro a distancia abre espacios para Tim (Duncan) y para el resto.

El estilo de juego será más libre, con un juego más fluido y mucho pick and roll . Ya no vamos a esperar que Tim llegue y se establezca en la pintura, como fue históricamente. Aunque supongo que dependerá de los partidos. El estilo de correr se adapta más a lo que propone Tony Parker. No descubro nada si digo que este equipo es más de Tony que de Tim. En cuanto a si me beneficia o no ese estilo, realmente no lo sé, hay que verlo en la cancha y según cada partido.

No hay dudas de que este año, más que nunca, el único objetivo es ganar el campeonato. La franquicia realizó un gran esfuerzo para armar un gran plantel. Es la primera vez que supera el tope salarial. Gastó casi 13 millones de dólares por encima del límite. Desde que yo estoy, nunca había sucedido. Los Spurs entienden que éste es el momento de buscar otro título. Quieren aprovechar la vigencia de Tim y la mía, que no vamos a tener para mucho más, y la llegada de grandes jugadores, como Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess y Teo Ratlif, más la apuesta a un gran talento joven como Blair. San Antonio vio la oportunidad y decidió hacer la gran inversión.

De todos modos, el camino será duro porque hay otros equipos fuertes que se potenciaron con la llegada de grandes jugadores. Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, Denver, los Lakers, Portland y Dallas también pusieron toda la carne en el asador.

Por último, debo reconocer que ésta será una temporada crucial para mí. Una temporada bisagra porque, el año próximo, seré agente libre y tengo que mostrar lo mejor para tener un buen futuro. El próximo contrato dependerá de cómo juegue esta temporada.

Y no quiero olvidarme de decir algo de Fabri (Fabricio Oberto). Más allá de que yo lo voy a extrañar como amigo porque compartíamos mucho tiempo en los viajes y esas largas semanas por otras ciudades cuando salimos de gira, también la franquicia lo va a extrañar. Ya lo dicen los asistentes y mis compañeros. Siempre fue un tipo muy querido y se va a sentir su ausencia.

www.manuginobili.com

NRHector
10-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Damn Manu is ready to kick some ass:flag:

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 08:26 AM
In the part where he talks about Blair, Google translates this line:

Si peleás una pelota con él, te arranca el brazo

with this:

If you fight a ball with him, you start the arm...

I'm guessing a more accurate translation may be:

Fight with him for a rebound and you risk losing an arm.

Is that about right?

MaNu4Tres
10-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Anyone willing to translate? El Nono? Lefty?

Hemotivo
10-24-2009, 08:39 AM

with this:

Is that about right?

yes

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 08:44 AM
yes

thanks

urunobili
10-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Im translating one sec

MaNu4Tres
10-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Im translating one sec

Much appreciated.

mVp
10-24-2009, 09:04 AM
el titular supongo que será Matt Bonner

A lot of people here won't be happy with this lol

Chieflion
10-24-2009, 09:08 AM
A lot of people here won't be happy with this lol
What does that mean? Matt Bonner is going to start?

mVp
10-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Yeah, that's what Manu thinks.

BOHOLANO#21
translation please.:sleep

easy7

Yepz, becuase he open up the court for Duncan and others- according to Manu..

easy7
10-24-2009, 09:21 AM
No descubro nada si digo que este equipo es más de Tony que de Tim.

"I am not saying nothing new when I say that this team belongs more to Tony than it does to Tim." :wow

urunobili
10-24-2009, 09:22 AM
The Only Objective is to win the championship - by Manu

Translation - urunobili

San Antonio – The most important thing I would like to tell you is that I am healthy, pain free, finally healed and now just trying to recover my game. I think I am eight points at this stage. I have to better my shooting and have a quicker response on defense, but considering that the pre season just finished, this is also normal for the majority of the players. More so, it’s always harder for me to get into a rhythm. I’m going slowly. I’m also lacking penetrations to the hoop. I have tried it a little and I don’t know if by lack of power or confidence but it’s been tough to get to the basket.

In addition, I’m happy with the playing time that I played on the pre season; against Oklahoma I had 23 minutes on the court. I don’t know how that will work for the beginning of the regular season, but I would like to play a lot of minutes to feel useful and start to tune up with our new teammates.

Truth is that it’s gratifying to be able to travel with the team again; it has been a while since I did it last, but I still don’t have that adrenaline that you feel before a final. I would say my expectations are double because next season starts on Tuesday and I will be playing back again after a long time. It will be nice to have my jersey on and feel the fans twice as loud.

About our team’s performance on the pre season, you have to highlight that Pop generally uses the substitutes not to wear down the rotation players. But I would like to mention both George Hill and DeJuan Blair. They were the best. I think Blair will be a huge surprise. He barely surpasses 6 feet 7 inches, but he has a lot of attitude, a special grit to pull down the rebounds and he scores easily. He is very intense and fights fiercely for every ball. If you are going after a ball with him, he pulls your arm down… It has been a while since we last had such an athletic and intense bigman in the team. Though he is the 4th of them off the bench, there is a lot of hope on what he could contribute. Anyway, I think the starter will be Matt Bonner, because with his long range shots, he opens up the floor for Tim and the rest of us.

The game style will be freer, with a more fluid game and lots of pick and rolls. We will no longer be waiting for Tim to arrive and establish himself in the paint as it has been historically with us. Though I guess that will also depend on the games we’re playing. The running style adapts better to what Tony proposes. I am not saying something new if I say that this is now more Tony’s team than Tim’s. How that will benefit me or not? I truly don’t know we will see it on the court and it will depend on the games individually.

There are no doubts that this year more than ever, the only objective is to win the championship. The franchise has done a great effort to put together this great roster. It is the very first time that the salary cap is exceeded. Almost 13 millions passed the limit. Since I am here, it never happened before. The Spurs understand that this is the moment to pursue another title. They want to take advantage of Tim’s and myself last years being able to compete at this level and the arrival of players like Richard Jefferson, Antonio MyDyess and Theo Ratliff, plus the investment in young talent like Blair. San Antonio saw the chance and decided to do the big investment.

Anyway, the road will be hard because there are other strong teams that got better with the arrival of great players. Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, Denver, the Lakers, Portland and Dallas are all in as well.

Lastly, I have to recognize that this will be a key season for me. A window season because next year I will be a free agent and I have to show my best to have a great future. My next contract will depend on how I play this season.

I do not want to forget to mention Fabricio Oberto. Even though I will miss him as a friend because we would share a lot of time on our trips and those long weeks when we go out on the road, also the franchise will miss him. It has been mentioned already by the assist coaches and my teammates. He has always been a beloved guy and his absence will be felt.

www.manuginobili.com

Mel_13
10-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Urunobili

DAF86
10-24-2009, 09:40 AM
I don’t know how that will work for the beginning of the regular season, but I would like to play a lot of minutes to feel useful and start to tune up with our new teammates.

I think the starter will be Matt Bonner, because with his long range shots, he opens up the floor for Tim and the rest of us.

I am not saying something new if I say that this is now more Tony’s team than Tim’s.

Highlights of the article IMO.

alchemist
10-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I find it interesting to hear Manu speak on how the his game might be effected (negatively or positively) with the offense now running through Tony.

Spurs Brazil
10-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Anyway, I think the starter will be Matt Bonner, because with his long range shots, he opens up the floor for Tim and the rest of us.

I think in the beggining of the season we'll see Bonner starting but I think he'll play only the first 6-7 minutes of 1st and 3rd quarter and nothing more

TMTTRIO
10-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the article. Manu seems very motivated to be good this year and motivated to win since they didn't win last year. I wonder how much the contract issue and the possibility of being a FA is going to be hanging over him this season will affect him even though on a recent interview he said no matter what team he was a part of he would play 100% because he just loved playing.

DPG21920
10-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I hate hearing Manu talk about his inability to get to the rim. I hope it is a mental thing and not a physical thing were his game will be forever altered.

He has been saying this a lot.

Interrohater
10-24-2009, 11:59 AM
damn... i need to practice my spanish. That took me like 3 times as long to read.

:lol I think it's funny that Manu also know not to stick your arm in there, he must know some Dejuan Blair Facts!

urunobili
10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
I hate hearing Manu talk about his inability to get to the rim. I hope it is a mental thing and not a physical thing were his game will be forever altered.

He has been saying this a lot.

DPG... just let the guy get a sweat and start feeling when to do so again... it comes naturally for him... IMO he is has been containing it on purpose and it's definitively mental... let the game be close and him wanting to win it...

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks, urunobili.:toast

It's always good hearing from Manu.:tu

Anyway, I think the starter will be Matt Bonner, because with his long range shots, he opens up the floor for Tim and the rest of us.

Nothing unexpected, but hopefully it's as a token starter and something that evolves as the All-Star break and postseason draws nearer.

The game style will be freer, with a more fluid game and lots of pick and rolls. We will no longer be waiting for Tim to arrive and establish himself in the paint as it has been historically with us. Though I guess that will also depend on the games we’re playing. The running style adapts better to what Tony proposes. I am not saying something new if I say that this is now more Tony’s team than Tim’s. How that will benefit me or not? I truly don’t know we will see it on the court and it will depend on the games individually.

I've been a big proponent of the loosening of the reigns and a more up-tempo approach to the Spurs' offense, so, needless to say, I can't help but get pumped every time I see a mention of this by a Spurs' coach or player.

Of course, people are going to single out the Tony's team comment, but I just don't see that as anything other than a reference to where the offense's focal point now resides; it's nothing new, as witnessed last year, and Manu was just stating the obvious.

TIMMYD!
10-24-2009, 01:33 PM
This is still Tim's team, Manu.

tp2021
10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
It's Tim's team to lead, but Tony's to run.

Man In Black
10-24-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Translation - urunobili
2nd Updated it to make it flow better Englishwise- MIB

San Antonio – The most important thing I would like to tell you is that I am healthy, pain free, finally healed and now just trying to recover my game. I think I am at about eighty percent at this stage. My shooting has to be better and I have to respond quicker on defense, but considering that the pre season just finished, this is normal for the majority of the players in the NBA.

Of More concern is that it’s been harder for me to get into a rhythm. I’m progresing slowly. I’m not penetrating as much to the hoop. I have tried to a little and I don’t know if it's lack of leg strength or confidence but it’s been tough to get to the basket.

In addition, I’m happy with the playing time that I played on the pre season; against Oklahoma I had 23 minutes on the court. I don’t know how that will work for the beginning of the regular season, but I would like to play a lot of minutes to feel useful and start to tune up with our new teammates.

Truth is that it’s gratifying to be able to travel with the team again; it has been a while since I did it last, but I still don’t have that adrenaline yet that you should feel before a final. I would say my expectations are doubled because next season starts on Tuesday and I will be back playing again after a long time off. It will be nice to wear my jersey and feel what I feel with the fans twice as loud.

About our team’s performance in the pre season, you have to point out that Pop generally uses his substitutes so as to not wear down the regular rotation players. I need to mention something about both George Hill and DeJuan Blair. They were the best players in pre season. I think Blair will be a huge surprise. He barely surpasses 6 feet 7 inches, but he has a lot of attitude, a special grit to pull down rebounds and he scores easily. He is very intense and fights fiercely for every ball. If you are going after a ball with him, he will pull your arms down. It has been a while since we last had such an athletic and intense bigman on the team. Though he is the 4th bigman off the bench, there is a lot of hope on what he can contribute. Anyways, I think the starter will be Matt Bonner, because of his ability with long range shots, he opens up the floor for Tim and the rest of us.

The game style will be a more free, more fluid game and with lots of pick and rolls. We will no longer be waiting for Tim to arrive and establish himself in the paint as we have done in the past. Though I guess that will also depend on the games we’re playing. The running style adapts better to how Tony plays. I am not saying something new if I say that this is now more Tony’s team than Tim’s. Will that benefit me or not? I truly don’t know but we will see it on the court and it will depend on how each games goes.

There are no doubts that this year more than ever, the only objective is to win the championship. The franchise has made a great effort to put together this great roster. It is the very first time that the salary cap was exceeded here. Almost 13 million dollars past the limit. Since I have been here, that's never happened before. The Spurs understand that this is the time to go all-in and pursue another title. They want to take advantage of mine and Tim's last years and be able to compete at this championship level. With the arrival of players like Richard Jefferson, Antonio MyDyess and Theo Ratliff, plus the investment in young talent like Blair. San Antonio saw the chance and decided to do this big investment.

Anyways, the road will be hard because there are other strong teams that are much improved with the arrival of great players. Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, Denver, the Lakers, Portland and Dallas are all in as well.

Lastly, I have to recognize that this will be a key season for me. A contract season because next year I will be a free agent and I have to show my best to secure a great future. My next contract will depend on how well I play this season.

I do not want to forget to mention Fabricio Oberto. Even though I will miss him being here because we would share a lot of time on our trips together especially during those long travel weeks out on the road. The franchise will also miss him. It has been mentioned to me already by the assistant coaches and by my teammates. He has always been a well-liked guy and his absence will be felt.

urunobili
10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
MIB: Can you please bold your edits? Im interested in improving my English...

CGD
10-24-2009, 03:23 PM

with this:

Is that about right?

That's being polite. "Arranca" is more like "pull off"