PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Five burning questions for the Spurs

duncan228
10-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Five burning questions for the Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Five_burning_questions_for_the_Spurs.html)

Express-News Spurs beat writer Jeff McDonald looks at five things the team must figure out over the course of the new season with a remade roster:

1. Can the Spurs pack Manu Ginobili in bubble wrap and save him until April?

Ginobili is regarded as one of the most feared postseason closers in the game, but hasn't been whole for two consecutive playoffs. Supposedly over the stress fracture that ended his 2008-09 campaign, and not quite over the hill at age 32, Ginobili will look to recapture some of that “Manu Magic” again this year. The Spurs worked wonders with their offseason roster makeover, but their title hopes still rest largely on Ginobili's balky ankle.

2. What other body parts should Spurs fans add to their prayer list?

Tim Duncan's knees. Duncan's 12th NBA season can be divided into two chapters — before knee tendonosis and after. He averaged 20.8 points and 10.5 rebounds and shot 52.2 percent before the All-Star break. After it, he averaged 16.4 points and 11 rebounds, and shot 46.2 percent. Duncan spent much of his offseason working to strengthen his knees, and Gregg Popovich will look for ways to further reduce the pounding he takes throughout the NBA's 82-game death march. Duncan's health, like Ginobili's, will determine how far the Spurs can go.

3. Can the Spurs bring stingy back?

Partly due to age, partly due to personnel, the Spurs' once-vaunted defense has slipped a bit in recent seasons. The Spurs finished ninth in the league in field-goal percentage defense last season, the lowest rank in 12 full seasons with Popovich at the helm. Adding Antonio McDyess and Theo Ratliff to the front line, along with more minutes for second-year guard George Hill, should help the Spurs rejoin the league's elite defensive teams.

4. Is there a Bruce Bowen 2.0 on the roster?

No. Keith Bogans probably comes closest, having built his career on a reputation as a dogged perimeter defender. However, Bogans will probably be used much as Bowen was last season — in spot duty off the bench. Night in and night out, it will be Richard Jefferson's job to guard the opponent's best perimeter scorer. Earlier in his career, Jefferson showed a proclivity to playing defense. Now that he has been unburdened with the responsibility of having to be his team's prime scoring option, the Spurs are hopeful Jefferson could be that defensive player again.

5. How long will it take No. 45 to become the hottest selling jersey at the AT&T Center fan shop?

We'll set the over-under at one month. One preseason into his NBA career, rookie DeJuan Blair's see-ball, chase-ball approach to rebounding has made him a fan favorite. The Spurs' coaching staff is still curious to see how his undersized game will translate against oversized NBA front lines, but if Blair can provide a handful of rebounds per night, he will be an asset.

TIMMYD!
10-24-2009, 10:06 PM
thanks again 228

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-24-2009, 10:09 PM
nice article

Spursmania
10-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Duncan228:tu

narmerguy
10-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Good stuff

Manufan909
10-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I would rather TD pay 10-15 minutes and not start on b2bs (not applicable when an LA level team is involved), instead of just straight sitting out one of the games. That wouldn't work so well for the IR bigs, but maybe they should earn the chance to dress for the game, instead of dressing to impress.

ducks
10-24-2009, 10:57 PM
manu should not be the number one concern for postseason
duncan's healthy
parkers health
then rj and manu
duncan enough said
tp is the engine and go to guy on the spurs enough said

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
1. Can the Spurs pack Manu Ginobili in bubble wrap and save him until April?

2. What other body parts should Spurs fans add to their prayer list?

3. Can the Spurs bring stingy back?

4. Is there a Bruce Bowen 2.0 on the roster?

5. How long will it take No. 45 to become the hottest selling jersey at the AT&T Center fan shop?

Burning questions, huh...

Not real original but if he could get this sponsored by Valtrex he might be on to something. :hat

roycrikside
10-25-2009, 03:59 AM
duncan's healthy
parkers health
then rj and manu
duncan enough said

You. Are. A. Dumbass.

They list Manu's health as the top question because it is the biggest unknown, and Duncan's is the second biggest.

They don't have any concerns about Tony because (knock on wood) he's not an injury risk and his game has been pretty consistent. There are no questions about him except for how many times Ducks will try to blow him in the next six months. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2009, 04:08 AM
I hate Manu. I'm naming my firstborn for Tony. I love ze Frenchman.

fify.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2009, 05:15 AM
See ball... chase ball!

Seee-eeee ball, chase ball!

We're all gonna come to love Blair's simple approach to the game this year. :D

Ice009
10-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Come on, man!! Blair is very intelligent!!! What are you talking about!?!!?

You wanna stop talking shit about Blair all the time regarding his IQ?

Better yet you wanna go say that to his face?

Ice009
10-25-2009, 07:10 AM
If you want to pay for my plane ticket and hotel accommodations, I'd be happy to.

It's basically a win-win... if I kick his ass, I'm legendary... if I don't and I'm beaten to a pulp, I'm a millionaire.

Why don't you pay for it? Like you said it's win-win for you right ;).

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2009, 08:30 AM
duncan's healthy
parkers health
then rj and manu
duncan enough said

pff... you just can't stomach Manu getting attention can you? Even if it is you the one that missunderstands the article in the first place. You're fucking pathetic.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2009, 10:02 AM
See ball... chase ball!

Seee-eeee ball, chase ball!

We're all gonna come to love Blair's simple approach to the game this year. :D

Chase ball, nothing.

It's "see ball . . . ball obey!"

ShoogarBear
10-25-2009, 10:03 AM
think shit, post shit

Leetonidas
10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
lol Stupidest shit I've ever read.

I guess you don't read any of your own posts or topics. You just can't control the spewing stream of bullshit and faggotry that comes out I'm guessing?