PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: A scout's take on the Spurs

duncan228
10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
A scout's take on the Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/A_scouts_take_on_the_Spurs.html)

One NBA advance scout gives Express-News NBA writer Mike Monroe his report on the Spurs, player by player.

Tony Parker

All-Star who mixes drives and jumpers. Must take away transition and drives, No. 1; then, honor the perimeter shot. Keep him off the foul line. Mainly, try to make him give up the ball.

Manu Ginobili

Containment is the name of the game defending him. No matter what you do, no matter how hard you play, don't forget he is always, always, always going to come back left. Very dangerous on dribble-handoff plays, especially with Duncan. Very dangerous, herky-jerky dribbler who keeps you off-balance. Jury's out on how explosive he is, post injury.

Tim Duncan

Has lost weight, which I presume is for durability reasons; anxious to see how that affects his game. An aging superstar who still must be respected. Won't see the shot volume he once did, but still effective when he does touch it. Big threat to pass out of double teams, but we'll try to play him straight up at first, then see if he makes us double and give up stuff on the perimeter.

Richard Jefferson

Can shoot it, but also loves to drive and get to foul line. Not a great finisher, but gets to the line because refs respect him. Solid mid-range shooter, who gives Spurs juice they haven't had for years.

Antonio McDyess

Used to be most athletic big in game; now uses IQ more than strength and athleticism. Settles for jumpers instead of post-up and banging down low. Will still do damage on boards. Still a good defensive banger.

Michael Finley

Still looks to be in excellent shape and still has that perfect stroke on the jumper. Might have lost some of his explosiveness, but he's mostly a jump shooter anyway.

Matt Bonner

Great pick-and-pop 3-point shooter. Can't close out on him too hard, because he likes pump-fake-and-drive. Simply, a very good shooter.

Roger Mason

Seems he could get lost in their shuffle on the perimeter with additions; still dangerous in clutch; a combo guard, but a sketchy ball handler. Will get into you defensively and likes to pressure ball.

George Hill

One of the most improved players I've seen in preseason. Grew leaps and bounds in confidence over summer. Doesn't look like same player. Looks like he knows he belongs, we expect him to get significant minutes.

DeJuan Blair

Could be an animal. Surprised at how easy he scored in preseason. Has nastiness and bravado and wants to compete. Only question is the (pre-draft) physical, but doctors have made plenty of mistakes in the past turning down players.

Theo Ratliff

A solid support role player. Can still block shots from weak side.

Keith Bogans

Another defender in Spurs' mold; can make mid-range jumper; knows what's expected of him.

Manufan909
10-24-2009, 10:54 PM
No Ian or Haislip? And I thought his facials/dunks: times driven was up there? Too bad that isn't a stat.:hat

ducks
10-24-2009, 10:55 PM
manu can not drive right
it is amazing he is not forced to go right more
got to give him credit he can go left so much though

mystargtr34
10-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Parker doesnt have a 3-pt shot, if he could work on that he could have more space to drive and get more assists.

Got to give him credit for being able to score without being able to shoot.

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Given this came from Monroe, the references to 'Dyess' freakish athleticism of yesteryear, and the mentioning of RMJ's defensive prowess as a positive..

This has to be Denver's guy, right?

kbrury
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Given this came from Monroe, the references to 'Dyess' freakish athleticism of yesteryear, and the mentioning of RMJ's defensive prowess as a positive..

This has to be Denver's guy, right?
Whenever I read one of these I always think its just the Spurs scout but they just choose to withold that info, I get that feeling again when he talks about Hill and choice of words he uses. But it could just be me, do we still have an advanced scout?

Obstructed_View
10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Not a great finisher, but gets to the line because refs respect him.

Did RJ end someone's season? Sounds awfully bitter.

spursncowboys
10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Man Spurs are deep!! Great read.

Solid D
10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
manu can not drive right

There's a difference in driving right and finishing right. Manu predominantly finishes left, even when he drives right.

Manufan909
10-24-2009, 11:15 PM
And he has the same percentage everywhere on the court, he just prefers to go left.

ducks
10-24-2009, 11:20 PM
if I was a coach against spurs
I would make manu drive right

YoMamaIsCallin
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
This scouting report on Manu is simplistic. I have seen him go right and finish on the right side, when they absolutely take away the left. You can't just guard the left, he will go right and score. That's why defenders have to play him straight up, and why they get beat to the left.

I'm tired of hearing announcers say "He's always going to go left!" It's just not that simple.

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Whenever I read one of these I always think its just the Spurs scout but they just choose to withold that info, I get that feeling again when he talks about Hill and choice of words he uses. But it could just be me, do we still have an advanced scout?

I was just making a calculated guess, considering Monroe was with Denver prior to coming to SA a couple years ago.

The scout mentioning that 'Dyess was the most athletic big in the game -- not crazy hyperbole, but something a Denver guy would say if he'd been around 'Dyess back then -- and that RMJ is known to get into players defensively -- another thing a Denver guy would say, considering the type of defensive minds and players they've been drawn to -- just had me wondering if Monroe might have called up one of his Denver contacts.

MI21
10-24-2009, 11:33 PM
That is what it takes to be an NBA advance scout? Any team out there looking for a scout, please PM me.

Da Spurs
10-24-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm from SA and McDyess was without question the most athletic big man when he was younger prior to knee injuries. He was incredibly explosive.

LOL@MavsFan
10-24-2009, 11:36 PM
A scout's take on the Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/A_scouts_take_on_the_Spurs.html)

One NBA advance scout gives Express-News NBA writer Mike Monroe his report on the Spurs, player by player.

Tony Parker

All-Star who mixes drives and jumpers. Must take away transition and drives, No. 1; then, honor the perimeter shot. Keep him off the foul line. Mainly, try to make him give up the ball.

Manu Ginobili

Containment is the name of the game defending him. No matter what you do, no matter how hard you play, don't forget he is always, always, always going to come back left. Very dangerous on dribble-handoff plays, especially with Duncan. Very dangerous, herky-jerky dribbler who keeps you off-balance. Jury's out on how explosive he is, post injury.

Tim Duncan

Has lost weight, which I presume is for durability reasons; anxious to see how that affects his game. An aging superstar who still must be respected. Won't see the shot volume he once did, but still effective when he does touch it. Big threat to pass out of double teams, but we'll try to play him straight up at first, then see if he makes us double and give up stuff on the perimeter.

Richard Jefferson

Can shoot it, but also loves to drive and get to foul line. Not a great finisher, but gets to the line because refs respect him. Solid mid-range shooter, who gives Spurs juice they haven't had for years.

Antonio McDyess

Used to be most athletic big in game; now uses IQ more than strength and athleticism. Settles for jumpers instead of post-up and banging down low. Will still do damage on boards. Still a good defensive banger.

Michael Finley

Still looks to be in excellent shape and still has that perfect stroke on the jumper. Might have lost some of his explosiveness, but he's mostly a jump shooter anyway.

Matt Bonner

Great pick-and-pop 3-point shooter. Can't close out on him too hard, because he likes pump-fake-and-drive. Simply, a very good shooter.

Roger Mason

Seems he could get lost in their shuffle on the perimeter with additions; still dangerous in clutch; a combo guard, but a sketchy ball handler. Will get into you defensively and likes to pressure ball.

George Hill

One of the most improved players I've seen in preseason. Grew leaps and bounds in confidence over summer. Doesn't look like same player. Looks like he knows he belongs, we expect him to get significant minutes.

DeJuan Blair

Could be an animal. Surprised at how easy he scored in preseason. Has nastiness and bravado and wants to compete. Only question is the (pre-draft) physical, but doctors have made plenty of mistakes in the past turning down players.

Theo Ratliff

A solid support role player. Can still block shots from weak side.

Keith Bogans

Another defender in Spurs' mold; can make mid-range jumper; knows what's expected of him.

Most Spurs fans are excited about the additions of Jefferson and Blair the most. Of course I am too, but I am more excited about George Hill getting big minutes. I think as long as he stays healthy he may be up for the Most Improved Player Award this year.

Blackjack
10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
There was a story going around back in the day that 'Dyess actually did take change off the top of a backboard in practice, so there's no doubt how great of an athlete he was. But most people or scouts wouldn't so easily throw out the most athletic big man in the league, had they not had some kind of involvement or personal connection to him from back in the day; the late '90's wasn't devoid of highly-athletic big men.

objective
10-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Roger Mason gets into people defensively ?

Danny.Zhu
10-25-2009, 01:46 AM
So George Hill is getting more and more compliments.

Riverwalkman
10-25-2009, 02:12 AM
lol two things:

1. Mason likes to pressure the ball and make body contact.

2. You can not close out Bonner because of his threaten on driving to basket.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2009, 02:47 AM
There was a story going around back in the day that 'Dyess actually did take change off the top of a backboard in practice, so there's no doubt how great of an athlete he was. But most people or scouts wouldn't so easily throw out the most athletic big man in the league, had they not had some kind of involvement or personal connection to him from back in the day; the late '90's wasn't devoid of highly-athletic big men.

Like you said, it's not like it's a completely ridiculous statement. He jumped higher and threw the ball down harder than Shawn Kemp did, harder than anyone I've ever seen. He was an absolute monster. I have absolutely no issue with someone making that statement. Another reason they might do so is to illustrate the extent to which Dice has modified his game. He really seemed early on like a guy who was going to rely on his athletecism to stay in the league, and to his credit he managed to reinvent himself.

Darkwaters
10-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Most Spurs fans are excited about the additions of Jefferson and Blair the most. Of course I am too, but I am more excited about George Hill getting big minutes. I think as long as he stays healthy he may be up for the Most Improved Player Award this year.

I think it will be fun if Blair and Hill get to square off against each other in the Rookies vs. Sophomores game. Chances would seem to be high of that happening.

Darkwaters
10-25-2009, 03:41 AM
lol two things:

1. Mason likes to pressure the ball and make body contact.

2. You can not close out Bonner because of his threaten on driving to basket.

Why is this funny? It's true. How many times have you seen Bonner pump fake, take a step inside the three point line and shoot the ball? All the time. And hes definitely showing more desire to put the ball on the floor and take it into the trees. Sometimes succesful, sometimes not. But thats what the scout is mentioning.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2009, 04:12 AM
manu can not drive right

Insecure, much?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Unsurprisingly, mostly spot-on takes by that scout. :tu

manu can not drive right

:rolleyes

I call total bullshit. Manu can and does regularly drive right. Go watch some Manu highlight reels on youtube and you'll see.

There's a difference in driving right and finishing right. Manu predominantly finishes left, even when he drives right.

He does indeed, just as Tony often finishes with his right when going left. It's something I hate to see as a guy that can use both hands equally (it's not hard finishing off-handed if you practice it enough, depending on where your feet are, which is usually why people finish with the wrong hand), but they are both so good at it that I give them a pass... :lol

wildbill2u
10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Absence of Hasilp and Ian profiles tells you that the scout doesn't expect them to get many minutes

galvatron3000
10-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Did RJ end someone's season? Sounds awfully bitter.

you caught that too:toast

Hemotivo
10-25-2009, 09:38 AM

sure

spursfan09
10-25-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm really excited about George Hill!!!

Richard Jefferson was an expectation, but G Hill can be a surprise!

ceperez
10-25-2009, 09:49 AM
This scouting report on Manu is simplistic. I have seen him go right and finish on the right side, when they absolutely take away the left. You can't just guard the left, he will go right and score. That's why defenders have to play him straight up, and why they get beat to the left.

I'm tired of hearing announcers say "He's always going to go left!" It's just not that simple.

Read somewhere that Manu is a statistical anomaly. He may obviously favor the left, but the actual numbers shows that he's equally effective from everywhere. Allmost all players do have favorite spots, but Manu apparently doesn't. That's why it's not that simple guarding Manu.

In general, a pretty poor scouting report.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Like you said, it's not like it's a completely ridiculous statement. He jumped higher and threw the ball down harder than Shawn Kemp did, harder than anyone I've ever seen. He was an absolute monster. I have absolutely no issue with someone making that statement. Another reason they might do so is to illustrate the extent to which Dice has modified his game. He really seemed early on like a guy who was going to rely on his athletecism to stay in the league, and to his credit he managed to reinvent himself.

I said before Dice was essentially Amare 1.0, but for some reason, they left the brain out of the update.

whottt
10-25-2009, 10:33 AM
That scouting report on Duncan gives me some optimism...because I don't recall seeing Duncan draw a single double team in the postseason last year, and it's a problem because when he doesn't that totally changes the formula for the Spurs winning a title from inside out to outside(penetration) in.

Shooting no longer is the deciding factor...

I'm not sold on this teams shooting anyway, but it's been a long long time since the Spurs won from the outside(pretty much forever).

lurker23
10-25-2009, 10:40 AM
As Darkwaters said, this scout is spot-on about Bonner. You can't close out on him too much or he'll make you pay with the pump fake. No, he's not usually going to drive all the way to the basket and slam it down (or even lay it up), but often he'll use that pump fake, dribble a time or two, and knock down the open 19-footer.

----

Manu prefers to go left and is better at going left. Everyone knows this. If you play him straight up, he'll go left 8 out of 10 times. If you play him slightly to go left, he'll still go left 6 out of 10 times and blow by you. If you play him to go left the whole way, he'll go right 9 out of 10 times and make you pay for it. He may be left-handed, but he's better than most right-handed players at driving to the right. He's Manu Ginobili.

ducks
10-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Unsurprisingly, mostly spot-on takes by that scout. :tu

:rolleyes

I call total bullshit. Manu can and does regularly drive right. Go watch some Manu highlight reels on youtube and you'll see.

He does indeed, just as Tony often finishes with his right when going left. It's something I hate to see as a guy that can use both hands equally (it's not hard finishing off-handed if you practice it enough, depending on where your feet are, which is usually why people finish with the wrong hand), but they are both so good at it that I give them a pass... :lol

announcers always say you have to make him drive right
he does some but not most
his weakness is right

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 10:44 AM
announcers always say you have to make him drive right
he does some but not most
his weakness is right

league has known this for years and teams prepare
defenders try to force him right
Manu wins anyway

ducks