PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate Haislip

raspsa
10-25-2009, 02:24 AM
I wasn't able to watch any of the pre-season games. There was a lot of anticipation fueled primarily by his youtube videos.. can those who managed to watch the games he played in give your evaluation on his game. I'm specially interested in his defensive abilities. Thanks.

Ice009
10-25-2009, 02:33 AM
How do you expect to us to evaluate him when there was no footage to watch of the preseason apart from a few highlights.

There would be a very small percentage of people that maybe went to the games and saw him otherwise I don't think you can get what you are asking for. He also didn't really get much court time either. I think he needs a lot more time to learn things before people can start evaluating him.

Manufan909
10-25-2009, 02:44 AM
I only saw one game in the nosebleeds, but from that, his stats, and what other people who have seen him in games have said, he is a monumental disappointment.

If all the praise that came out of camp wasn't pure bs, then I guess he'll need to adjust to the NBA. Hopefully he can go off in garbage time, so the coaching staff try him out when the Spurs have a 15+ lead or something. He needs to learn the weak shit that earned him facials in Europe will get gobbled up by NBA defenders.

I also hope Pop doesn't have him as IR to start the season (first 10-20 games), so if the opportunity arises, he can be subbed in. I know Pop won't do it, but he needs to have the experienced/non-vital players (Bonner, Fin, Mason, and I know all 3 are in the 10-man rotation, I'm not suggesting they all sit out at once) as the 13th-15th men for the beginning, so he can see what he has in his question mark players (Haislip, Hairston, Blair, Ian).

raspsa
10-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Yeah, he doesn't seem to have made a big impression. But its still early and there's hope that he will realize the promise that the FO saw in him. He is probably the most athletic and mobile of the Spurs bigs and it will be very interesting to see how he copes against real NBA competition in the coming weeks and months. Maybe he can hire Bruce for some one-on-one mentoring.

ceperez
10-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty pissed off with those SpursTalk regulars who are willing to give Keith Bogans a free pass at the same time are discounting Haislip without giving the dude a chance to get familiar with the system.

The only reason why certain mediocre players stick around for a long time in the NBA is because they don't rock the boat. Look at Bogans style, he just stands there waiting for an open shot at the 3pt line. Yes, it's a useful skill, that way your offense always knows where someone camps. Unfortunately, we have both Finley and Bonner who already play that game!

He plays SG despite his lack of athleticism because he just doesn't have the skill set.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty pissed off with those SpursTalk regulars who are willing to give Keith Bogans a free pass at the same time are discounting Haislip without giving the dude a chance to get familiar with the system.

The only reason why certain mediocre players stick around for a long time in the NBA is because they don't rock the boat. Look at Bogans style, he just stands there waiting for an open shot at the 3pt line. Yes, it's a useful skill, that way your offense always knows where someone camps. Unfortunately, we have both Finley and Bonner who already play that game!

He plays SG despite his lack of athleticism because he just doesn't have the skill set.

I'll give you this. You don't let the fact that you have been epically wrong in the past keep you from continuing to exhibit your astounding lack of knowledge.

SpurCharger
10-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Im not ready to Judge a Guy after a few games in a new system. We should Bring this up in December Or January.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Im not ready to Judge a Guy after a few games in a new system. We should Bring this up in December Or January.

That is a reasonable position. The problem with that position is that Haislip will have to earn a chance to play in games by what he does in practice. If he doesn't show the staff enough in practice, we'll never see him in games.

What is certain is that if someone in the rotation struggles, there will posters saying "Why doesn't Pop play Haislip, he can't be worse than_____"

Interrohater
10-25-2009, 11:20 AM
That is a reasonable position. The problem with that position is that Haislip will have to earn a chance to play in games by what he does in practice. If he doesn't show the staff enough in practice, we'll never see him in games.

What is certain is that if someone in the rotation struggles, there will posters saying "Why doesn't Pop play Haislip, he can't be worse than_____"
This.

If he hasn't shown anything by now, and he's actually being shown up by Mahinmi of all people, I don't see how Pop will give him any court time. We've seen countless times when we all think someone needs burn that Pop just won't play him. Pop is very stubborn in that regard. However, he has four championships while we're posters on a forum.

AFBlue
10-25-2009, 11:22 AM

In what way was that about Haislip?

AFBlue
10-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I think Haislip has a partially guaranteed two-year deal. And it seems as if the Spurs FO and coaching staff are satisfied for the moment with Haislip in practices. The Spurs' system is not an easy one to pick up, so I think the Spurs will be patient with Haislip given how impressed they've been with him thus far.

SpurCharger
10-25-2009, 11:40 AM

I agree with This As well, But we Have all seen Pop Change his Rotation in mid to late Season. I think Its Gonna Be interesting watching The Haislip Situation.

wildbill2u
10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Haislip is a cheap developmental guy with some athletic upside. He'll have to learn the NBA game again and may stick this time.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Because Bogans has proven to be an NBA player, while Haislip hasn't.

lennyalderette
10-25-2009, 12:35 PM
lets see.... ill just say i did see quit a few games up close in the preseason, and from i what isaw, he was really putting effort, and to me looked promising in a sense. i mean i know he didnt put blairs numbers but remember blair is making everyone look shitty!lol no but seriously the times pop would put him out there for a good period of time he would have like 7pts, and 6 reb. to me i feel way more optomistic on haislip than from what i saw in mahinmi. im talking durable, athletic,and when he messes up he gets really upset at himself. i could tell he was confused though. as far as mahinmi goes, well lets just say not very promising, and you could pick that up the first game. just by the the way players move will let you know if theyre in trouble. overall i feel haislip will be okay

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I saw 3 of the games + the game vs. the European team + the scrimmage..there's no possible way anybody can say that Haislip has shown more promise than Ian, there's nothing that backs that up at all..his play doesn't, the stats don't back it up, the "excuses" don't back it up..

Haislip hasn't impressed at all..

It looked like the Spurs were looking to give him a little time at the 3, but his handles have looked poor, even against other big men, so I can only imagine against perimeter players..he has looked uncomfortable in the post, which was something that was expected from his scouting report from Europe..his defense has looked very poor, even getting torched by Rob Kurz..

I don't see any reason that Haislip should play over Ian, let alone a guy like Bonner, which a lot of people were hoping for..

Spursfan 87
10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Haislip is a cheap developmental guy with some athletic upside. He'll have to learn the NBA game again and may stick this time.

I agree, the key fact is that he came in cheap for the spurs. He's going to get a chance, remenber Antonio, Timmy and theo are not going to play every game.

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 12:57 PM
He did come for cheap, but his addition could come at the cost of Hairston, and Malik is clearly a much better player than Haislip, with much more upside..

TIMMYD!
10-25-2009, 01:45 PM
He did come for cheap, but his addition could come at the cost of Hairston, and Malik is clearly a much better player than Haislip, with much more upside..

This, we should have focused on developing Malik some more.

ceperez
10-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Malik is 6'4" without shoes! He's undersized for his position. C'mon we already more than enough undersized players!

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Hairston is clearly capable of playing both SG and SF..what does that have to do with my point?..it's not like we'd be lacking big men if Haislip wasn't on the team, we already have a whole bunch of them..

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Look, Spurs fans have to keep things in perspective. We all knew this was a cheap, low risk gamble for the Spurs. The odds of him succeeding were not very good, but he was worth the risk because if he did work out, he filled a giant need.

He is not working out and now fans are arguing over him. This is not shocking and not a big deal.

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm not giving up on the guy yet, it's obviously too early, but if people are going to shit on Ian and Bogans, they should be criticizing the worst player on the roster so far..even if he doesn't work out, it was a good low-risk signing at the time, but it would be unfortunate if Hairston gets cut partly due to this signing..

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 02:32 PM
If the Spurs are going "all-in" and Hairston will help this team win now, I don't think that Haislip not working out, yet having a guaranteed contract will cost Malik. They won't compound a mistake and make things worse imo.

exstatic
10-25-2009, 02:37 PM

The amount of disinformation from newbie posters is just staggering, sometimes. Bogans is actually quite a good athlete, even by NBA standards. It's what got him, and then kept him in the league.

ceperez
10-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Bogans is actually quite a good athlete, even by NBA standards. It's what got him, and then kept him in the league.

More athletic than Hairston? I think not.

exstatic
10-25-2009, 04:01 PM
More athletic than Hairston? I think not.

Deinitely more guaranteed that Hairston, though. :toast

I don't think you can use YouTube to evaluate a player's game, but you can definitely evaluate their hops. Enjoy.
HRWSlBQPqBM

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-25-2009, 05:02 PM
I told all you dumb asses that he sucked. I told all you dumb asses that he was never one of the best power forwards in Europe. But you motherfucking cock sucking MORONS called him a dominant Euroleague star and one of the best players in Europe.

FUCKING IDIOTS. He would never even make the roster of a big Euroleague club. And once again Mountainballer is EXPOSED as a fake European basketball fan. He went on and on about how great this scrub was. One again i was right and he was wrong.

You people here make me sick.

ceperez
10-25-2009, 08:38 PM
You calling that athletic? Almost every 6'5" NBA can do the same. It was a completely uncontested dunk. Go search some more for Bogans highlight videos and you'll find very little.

Now for reference check this out:

STk02KKVksk

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Are there any highlights of the preseason game last week where Haislip got torched by Kurz?..

Rummpd
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Blair is the Definitive answer to the Spurs needs with Dice - who cares after that?

exstatic
10-25-2009, 09:58 PM
You calling that athletic? Almost every 6'5" NBA can do the same. It was a completely uncontested dunk. Go search some more for Bogans highlight videos and you'll find very little.

You're seriously comparing a 6'10 guy to a 6'5" guy? And Bogans' dunk was NOT uncontested. It was a rebound in traffic, above the rim off a missed FT, flushed with authority.

completely deck
10-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Blair is the Definitive answer to the Spurs needs with Dice - who cares after that?

As much as I love Blair's game, you can't put your eggs in one basket.

TIMMYD!
10-25-2009, 10:10 PM

STk02KKVksk

Damn, he was by the box.