PDA

View Full Version : 2009-10 Suns to have familiar feel

Riverwalkman
10-25-2009, 12:25 PM
by Paul Coro - Oct. 24, 2009 01:04 PM
The Arizona Republic

It is no simpler to bring back the Suns' success with the fun-and-gun offense than it was to establish it in the first place.

The idea that Phoenix scored like a pinball machine in past years by just rolling out the basketball was more myth than method. It was a learned behavior of timing, spacing, instincts and principles.

The Suns tried to return to those ways in the middle of last season with a coaching change to Alvin Gentry but really remarried the system for the season that starts Wednesday by trading Shaquille O'Neal in June to go smaller and fleeter.

Only Gentry, Steve Nash, Amaré Stoudemire, Leandro Barbosa and Grant Hill were around two years ago to be entrenched in the curriculum. Thus, it has been back to school, with the aim to return to a higher class of performance - and the playoffs.

The Suns have spent a month in the classroom, as if they had a course load with P.E. to get in the shape it takes to be a running team, science to recapture their chemistry and geometry to learn the angles of old offensive sets and new defensive ideas.

"We had to brush up on it," Gentry said of a style he learned for four years as an assistant for Mike D'Antoni. "We didn't have to go back through the whole book but we definitely had to go back through the Cliffs Notes. I think they're catching on."

The Suns were never a smooth ship even when they averaged 58 wins over four seasons (2004-08) but things got rockier last season.

Barbosa was jolted by his mother's death. New coach Terry Porter's ways did not mesh and he lasted 3˝ months. Raja Bell and Boris Diaw did not make it that far, getting traded in December. Stoudemire missed the season's final two months after an eye injury that resulted in off-season surgeries. They missed the playoffs for the first time in five years but their 46-36 record was the second best of a non-playoff team in the past 25 years.

The right mix

To get back to the postseason, the Suns returned Nash, 35, and Hill, 37, as leaders with new contracts and a roster of 20-somethings, including Stoudemire in a season that will define his contract future. (He is extension eligible and could opt out next summer.) The Suns averaged 117.7 points with O'Neal and under Gentry at the end of last season but have now had a month to make speed a part of the culture again.

"This isn't chaos," Gentry tells his team at practice. "We have to be organized. . . . If we're mentally tired, we're dead."

Regardless of the conditioning and yelling, the Suns are happy to have their system back. Scoring should come easily to a starting unit and sixth man built to play this way, now that free agent Channing Frye was added to spread the floor as a long-range shooting center.

"The Nash-and-Stoudemire era is not over yet," Stoudemire said. "We're still here. We're still improving. We're still getting better as a unit. We're bringing the Phoenix Suns team with us. I'll tell you what: We're definitely focusing in on the defensive end and it's going to show this season."

Dreaded D word

Oh, yes, defense.

The annual pledge to be better defensively is in effect again. This time, the hope clings to Gentry's simplified tactical approach, more practice time and accountability. Gentry reduced the schemes, wanting the Suns to improve what it does and not react to opponents with last season's overload of options. The hope is to get back into the NBA's top half for defensive field-goal percentage. It will not come from roster restructuring. The Suns lost O'Neal's post defense, got even smaller with Robin Lopez out for a month and signed Frye, whose strength lies in his offense.

That defense will be compromised by a larger weakness - team rebounding. The preseason made the hole look more like a chasm.

Gentry talks about pack rebounding replacing the lack of a quality rebounder, beyond reserve Louis Amundson. He has the team fronting the post and taking charges in the paint to make up for the lack of an interior enforcer.

"We're a good team and we've got good chemistry," Gentry said. "It doesn't matter what happened last year."

Nash likes the "clear vision" Gentry has provided. The staff likes how Stoudemire is trying more than ever to defend and be a good teammate as a co-captain. Stoudemire likes how his team is flying under the national radar. Fans might like a younger, deeper look if the latter proves true - the bench defends well but leans on Barbosa to score.

"We're happy with the style Alvin Gentry has put in," Barbosa said. "We're going to surprise a lot of teams. We'll be back soon."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/10/24/20091024spt-nbapre-sunsmain.html

Riverwalkman
10-25-2009, 12:30 PM
"The Nash-and-Stoudemire era is not over yet," Stoudemire said. "We're still here. We're still improving. We're still getting better as a unit. We're bringing the Phoenix Suns team with us. I'll tell you what: We're definitely focusing in on the defensive end and it's going to show this season."
When Amare and Nash are franchise players, you can never count on the team's defense.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 12:31 PM
These fluff articles accomplish nothing, I can't stand them.

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Their shit's been in the wind ever since Horry took out Nash.

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Amare is a horribly flawed basketball player. One does not even know where to start with a critique of his game. He's off in a world of his own, totally without conscious. He's like "Sgt. Schultz" (Hogan's Heroes)....he hears nothing, he sees nothing.

poop
10-25-2009, 01:23 PM
haha only to the suns does 'success' = blowing out weak teams all season then getting raped out of the playoffs year after year by someone who actually plays defense

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 01:25 PM
haha only to the suns does 'success' = blowing out weak teams all season then getting raped out of the playoffs year after year by someone who actually plays defense

Agreed, people need to realize the Suns greatest accomplishment from 2005-2007 was beating the 2005 Mavericks. Big fuckin deal.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 01:33 PM

This stupid fuck says this every year about his defense, and the fans still buy into the smoke he's blowing up everyone's asses.

Mori Chu
10-25-2009, 02:21 PM

I don't think anybody can deny that the Suns were successful from 2004-2008. Only one team out of 30 wins the title each year. A lot of factors go into it beyond just talent, like luck and injuries and officiating and coaching.

I have been saying over at phxsuns.net that I think we will actually miss Shaq a lot. We have zero players who can rebound. We're going to get absolutely murdered on the glass. It's going to be a long year.

Plus, we don't have our 2010 draft pick, because we are retards and gave it away to the OKC Thunder for the privilege of taking one Kurt Thomas off our hands. What a joy it is to be a Suns fan!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't think anybody can deny that the Suns were successful from 2004-2008. Only one team out of 30 wins the title each year. A lot of factors go into it beyond just talent, like luck and injuries and officiating and coaching.

I have been saying over at phxsuns.net that I think we will actually miss Shaq a lot. We have zero players who can rebound. We're going to get absolutely murdered on the glass. It's going to be a long year.

Plus, we don't have our 2010 draft pick, because we are retards and gave it away to the OKC Thunder for the privilege of taking one Kurt Thomas off our hands. What a joy it is to be a Suns fan!

Loser's mentality.

JMarkJohns
10-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I think the difference is they are resting on their success rather than striving for greatness. Success isn't that difficult. Look at the Suns all-time win percentage. It's like fifth best for a franchise, yet, When you think of great NBA franchises, I doubt the Suns crack a top-5. Celtics, Lakers, Bulls... then probably two from a mix of San Antonio, Detroit, Houston, New York, Philadelphia.

It shouldn't be enough to just be successful.

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 02:30 PM
You needed to remain static after the Horry/Nash debacle. But, you compounded that mistake (the comprehensive response to Horry's act) with upheaval to the roster & strategy. In reality the Spurs had not beaten you. You'd beaten yerselves. You took it personal, when it was never more than business.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Success is winning a title. Anything short of that is failure.

JMarkJohns
10-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Competitively, yeah... but it's easy to get complacent with multiple 55-62 win seasons and deep runs in the playoffs that lead to a financial boon. According to perspective, such is a success, which is what my post was saying. Not only is such flawed, but it's legacy-robbing.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Competitively, yeah... but it's easy to get complacent with multiple 55-62 win seasons and deep runs in the playoffs that lead to a financial boon. According to perspective, such is a success, which is what my post was saying. Not only is such flawed, but it's legacy-robbing.

It's success if you're Robert Sarver or a Nash nut hugging faggot who only cares about having fun. If you're a real fan and you actually want a championship, it's failure.

JMarkJohns
10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Like I said, perspective...

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Colangelo never went all in either.

Even in the '93 Finals there was trepidation on Barkley's part. The sequence that led to Paxson's three was Barkley's responsibility completely. His reckless maneuver commenced a chain of events that led to Paxson being left wide open. Ainge took the fall, nobody indicted Barkley, but it was his rank immaturity & refusal to be still that ended the Suns.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 03:52 PM

Even in the '93 Finals there was trepidation on Barkley's part. The sequence that led to Paxson's three was Barkley's responsibility completely. His reckless maneuver commenced a chain of events that led to Paxson being left wide open. Ainge took the fall, nobody indicted Barkley, but it was his rank immaturity & refusal to be still that ended the Suns.

Colangelo being a shit owner doesn't excuse Sarver being a bad owner.

pauls931
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Can you elaborate? I remember Barkely saying Ainge missed a rotation, but I can't remember exactly. .... I guess I can look up Paxson three on youtube...

Ouch!!! Just watched it someone didn't rotate forcing Danny to come down leaving his man open.

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Can you elaborate? I remember Barkely saying Ainge missed a rotation, but I can't remember exactly.

Barkley went for the steal that he had no chance at just below his side of half court, and Chicago immediately started the dominoes to fall ending with Paxson.

Barkley would not wait to see it thru to the end. He had to "peek" early, "open the oven" prematurely and it cost the Suns everything.

That's Barkley MO though: act first, think about it second.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
That's Barkley MO though: act first, think about it second.

Amare and Nash being no different.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Barkely fat ass fucked that whole play up by gambling for the steal on Pip. Everyone had to rotate and Pax was left wide open. Suns continued their 0 & forever streak, their fans prayed for the Phoenix Lights to come take them away, and Barkely went out clubbing with MJ to celebrate the Bulls victory and their false friendship.

Then the following few years Barkley and Majerle went out drinking the night before several important playoff games against Houston.

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
"and Barkely went out clubbing with MJ to celebrate the Bulls victory and their false friendship."

Precisely. Barkley buddying up with Jordan during that series, during the games even, while trying to make it right by attempting to intimidate Pippen during the series, during the games even. Barkley's behavior was absurd and led directly to the loss. Kevin Johnson recognized the phony Barkley was and called him on it, but, his voice of indictment fell on deaf ears.

***Though KJ was no saint. He took in that poor waif up to his Camelback Mountain estate and rolled around nude with her in the shower and bed. But, she wasn't some Eagle CO. debutante, just some throw away piece of tang.

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Then the following few years Barkley and Majerle went out drinking the night before several important playoff games against Houston.

Then that one year Ollie Miller & Barkley arranged that gang bang and Ollie blocked the staircase up the loft where they had the poor girl spread out on a St. Andrews Cross.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 04:31 PM
***Though KJ was no saint. He took in that poor waif up to his Camelback Mountain estate and rolled around nude with her in the shower and bed. But, she wasn't some Eagle CO. debutante, just some throw away piece of tang.

She was 14 years old. KJ's lucky he did such a good job suppressing that incident.

duncan228
10-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Suns coach has home-grown humility, dedication
To understand Suns coach's universal respect, start in his hometown
by Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/10/25/20091025gentry1025.html

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 05:40 PM
She was 14 years old. KJ's lucky he did such a good job suppressing that incident.

The Phoenix PD helped him there. She was a nobody, just a foster child.

They brought up it momentarily as he was running for some elected office in California last fall, but, it didn't stick and he was elected.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
The Phoenix PD helped him there. She was a nobody, just a foster child.

They brought up it momentarily as he was running for some elected office in California last fall, but, it didn't stick and he was elected.

He was running for mayor of Sactown, a pretty big deal. My drivers ed teacher a few years ago was an ex cop and he said all KJ hd to do was pay a certain amount of money to the right people and things got taken care of.

Mori Chu
10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
A season isn't necessarily a failure just because you don't win a title. Was Boston's 2008-09 season a failure? They tried their best, but they didn't have the horses; they didn't win the title. That's a season they can still be proud of.

The Suns never were as good as the Spurs in those years when San Antonio eliminated us. We had tons of firepower and talent, but we had no defense and we had no answer for them. They knew how to stop our runs; they knew how to close out on our 3-point shooters; they knew how to sick Bowen and others on Nash to get under his skin. I was mad about the Horry shove on Nash, and some of Bowen's rough defense, but other than that they just outplayed and out-toughed us.

Nonetheless, I consider those successful years. To have a team that is a year-long contender and comes close in the playoffs, that's something that about 90% of the teams in the NBA would take any day. As I said, only one team can win it each year.

I still don't think the Suns have anything to gain by tanking this season, since they don't own their draft pick. They might as well play the best they can. I'm not too optimistic; they look like a 40-win team to me right now, a team that'll finish behind the Clips and the Thunder as maybe the 10th seed in the West. Sad. Dark times ahead.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 06:19 PM
A season isn't necessarily a failure just because you don't win a title.

Then you should become a fan of kindergarten soccer leagues where everyone gets a participation trophy at the end of the season.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I still don't think the Suns have anything to gain by tanking this season, since they don't own their draft pick.

They also have nothing to gain from giving washed up players long term contracts just so they can maybe get the 8 seed this year.

cobbler
10-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Shit. Not as bad as the 39 year old guy soliciting pussy from his 13 year old daughter on her facebook. He showed up with an unused box of condoms, and off to jail he went.

Nooooooo! That really happend? His own daughter? Did she know it was him?

What a sick fuck.

cobbler
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
A season isn't necessarily a failure just because you don't win a title. Was Boston's 2008-09 season a failure? They tried their best, but they didn't have the horses; they didn't win the title. That's a season they can still be proud of.

I'd bet you on two accounts 1. You have never played sports at a high level. 2. If you asked the Boston players they would all say last year was a failure. Followed of couse by all the excuses.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Being proud of a season and being content with a season are two different things. If Boston wants to be proud of how they played last year, sure, but I don't think any of them are content.

Culburn369
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
If he didn't know it was his own daughter it ain't so bad. It always bothers me on the show catching predators, cuz there ain't no 13 year old there.

mojorizen7
10-26-2009, 04:51 AM
Back to this season....
Its too bad we can't get an owner/GM that has the stones and the bank account to come in here and change the culture of offensive show pony basketball.

Kerr said all the right things at first...now his only concern is selling tickets for the boss.

A smart GM would've used this season as a bridge to let the fanbase know that rebuilding from ground zero was imminent(keeping Shaq on for his expiring,trading Nash for draft picks/younger players,letting Grant Hill walk,giving guys like Duds,Barbosa,Lou,Clark,Dragic heavy minutes to evaluate etc...).

A smart Gm would have done absolutely everything in his power to use assets such as Nash,JRich and maybe even Barbosa to re-claim a #1 draft pick via trade. Even if this would've failed,I'd have said "fuck you OKC,we're not going to let you dictate how we run our team just because you own our #1."

Instead, we got another 3 yrs of Nash dictating the tempo, the Channing Fry 5th tier FA signing that epitomizes what the SUNS are looking for in terms of help, Grant Hill taking minutes away from our best defensive player(Duds) and our #1 draft pick(Clark), and Amare Stoudemire getting outrebounded by guards.

If there's a light at the end of the tunnel I'd be glad to hear it from my fellow SUNS fans.

This year's team is a re-tread,a recycled roster of a system that was garbage in the first place in terms of winning anything important.