PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Waive Marcus Williams

spursdotcom
10-25-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_waive_marcus_williams_091025.html

kbrury
10-25-2009, 02:07 PM
:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:t oast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toa st:toast:toast:toast:toast

TIMMYD!
10-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Hell yeah, I thought it would just be a bump.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 02:11 PM
He worked hard, but it wasn't enough.

Might be time for Marcus to see if he can make some money in Europe.

Good Luck to him.

exstatic
10-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Hairston isn't safe yet. Spurs just had to be down to 15 by roster cut down day. Nothing says they can't drop down to 14.

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
down to 15..

Hairston vs. the $$$..

Riverwalkman
I root for Hairston, we need such a young swingman.

picnroll
Kids done everything Spurs have asked him to do, busted his ass to improve, had a great, mature attitude and has taken nothing but shit on Spurstalk from most posters, like they've worked a tenth as hard at anything in their lives. Pretty fucked up. Good luck to Williams and hopefully he reaches his dream. Meantime maybe it's time to try to go to Europe and make some cash.

DynastyBuilder
10-25-2009, 02:16 PM
The Spurs do have the option of sending Hairston to Austin, something that Marcus didn't have. I say they keep Malik on.

loveforthegame
10-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Best of luck to him. It's a shame we're facing a numbers crunch this season. I'm sure the Spurs will be keeping tabs on him and could be asked back if the need arises.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Hairston now. I hope he makes the team but I don't think this news makes him safe necessarily.

MaNu4Tres
10-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Goodluck to Marcus. Hairston was the better player and the right choice was made. Props to R.C and co. once again for noticing the obvious. Wonder what took so long?

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't get the joy of some posters with this news? I want Malik to make the team as bad as anyone, but I am not celebrating the fact MW got waived. He was a solid guy. He has his faults as a player, but he was very Spur-like.

This is like a cruel game of survivor. Malik is the last person on the island after going through a long and hard process. But there might not be any reward when the show ends.

DynastyBuilder
10-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't get the joy of some posters with this news? I want Malik to make the team as bad as anyone, but I am not celebrating the fact MW got waived. He was a solid guy. He has his faults as a player, but he was very Spur-like.

This is like a cruel game of survivor. Malik is the last person on the island after going through a long and hard process. But there might not be any reward when the show ends.

well put

kbrury
10-25-2009, 02:21 PM

My post was a little premature and misleading, if it was me I would have done my best to just cut Haislip and keep Williams and Hairston. But right now Im happy that at least Hairston still has a chance to make the team. The Haislip signing made this so hard at the end of the roster.

MaNu4Tres
10-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Solid guy indeed.

Heaven forbid some of us are happy that the Spurs made the right choice by sticking with Hairston.

kbrury
10-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Solid guy indeed.

Heaven forbid some of us are happy that the Spurs made the right choice by sticking with Hairston.

not for sure yet.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
It's a shame Williams is so averse to playing in Europe, because it seems he could make bank on a very good team over there--but he'll always make the Toros more competitive if he comes back here.

Darkwaters
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Eh, it's not like this is a kid that just got drafted and this is his first pro cut. This is in fact his 4th NBA cut (3rd with the Spurs). While hes a stand-up guy and an elite NBDL player, he has not shown any propensity to stick at this level. Not everybody makes it....otherwise it wouldn't be the pro's. He'll go to Europe and make good money over there. So I wouldn't cry over it. He'll get his.

crc21209
10-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes! :tu

My Fault
10-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Kids done everything Spurs have asked him to do, busted his ass to improve, had a great, mature attitude and has taken nothing but shit on Spurstalk from most posters, like they've worked a tenth as hard at anything in their lives. Pretty fucked up. Good luck to Williams and hopefully he reaches his dream. Meantime maybe it's time to try to go to Europe and make some cash.

I'm sure he doesn't know/care about what some people on a message broad say...

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Eh, it's not like this is a kid that just got drafted and this is his first pro cut. This is in fact his 4th NBA cut (3rd with the Spurs). While hes a stand-up guy and an elite NBDL player, he has not shown any propensity to stick at this level. Not everybody makes it....otherwise it wouldn't be the pro's. He'll go to Europe and make good money over there. So I wouldn't cry over it. He'll get his.

Ok. Point is, there is a difference in understanding he can't make it and celebrating the news.

Most of us knew that Malik would have a better shot than MW. Not a big deal, but weird to see some of these reactions.

ceperez
10-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Unfortunate to hear.

Unfortunate that he got injured during the summer.

Unfortunate that the Spurs can't continue investing on him.

CGD
10-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Good luck to Marcus!

Darkwaters
10-25-2009, 02:40 PM

I never thought he was a worthwhile investment. Sure, as an end of the bench training camp invite he was a pretty savvy signing. And hes done a lot to make Austin a viable NBDL team as hes dominated at that level. But as a realistic option to actually contribute with the Spurs...I never saw it. Ever since his first Spurs SL there have been huge questions and hes done little to answer them. While the actual investment has been marginally small compared to a player like Mahinmi who has soaked up much more cash (not to mention a roster spot on the big club) I still think it's probably time to cut ties. Maybe in a few years he can make a Haislip-like return to the NBA (hopefully with better results than Haislip has had to to this point, however) and will then be vindicated. But for now, I think he needs to set sail for Europa.

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't know, I just don't see Williams having a "niche" in the NBA..he has decent tools as a passer, but he isn't quick enough to a PG..he isn't athletic or big enough to compete on the perimeter..he isn't a lights out shooter to make up for the other flaws..I don't know, I don't see it..

I think he can definitely make something of himself in Europe, and I don't see why not..make $ however you can..

exstatic
10-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Unfortunate to hear.

Unfortunate that he got injured during the summer.

:lol It's funny how big people's blind spots can be. You call Bogans unathletic, when in reality MW is probably the worst athlete not named Tim Duncan to grace a Spurs camp in a decade.

benefactor
10-25-2009, 02:47 PM
down to 15..

Hairston vs. the $$$..
I think they would have waived both of them at the same time if this was the case. Hairston will be on the team opening day.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I think they would have waived both of them at the same time if this was the case. Hairston will be on the team opening day.

I asked Bruno about this in another thread. Hairston's 50K guarantee covers him thru Nov 3 at which point he costs about 9K a day in salary and tax to keep.

DPG21920
It is pretty obvious MW does not have the tools to succeed in the NBA. When you are really not athletic, you must be overly skilled. MW is not, so it is too hard for him.

exstatic

No, there was a deadline to get to 15. They were forced to make at least one cut today. There is no deadline to get to 14.

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 02:52 PM
It makes no sense to cut Malik right now. They can keep him a few more days and get him some minutes hopefully against real NBA talent and then make a decision.

Flux451
10-25-2009, 03:00 PM
I hope this turns into good news for Hairston. He could be a nice spark plug for us.

CGD
10-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I asked Bruno about this in another thread. Hairston's 50K guarantee covers him thru Nov 3 at which point he costs about 9K a day in salary and tax to keep.

Hmm. If that's correct, that amounts to nearly 2M for the season. Doesn't seem right if his deal is for little over $700K this year. What am I misunderstanding?

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
That makes a lot of sense now, I didn't know about the 9k daily..looks like Hairston is still going to be under the microscope for the first few..

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Hmm. If that's correct, that amounts to nearly 2M for the season. Doesn't seem right if his deal is for little over $700K this year. What am I misunderstanding?

double for the luxury tax, and I'm guessing other stuff..

benefactor
10-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Ahh...ok. Thanks for the clarification. I still like his chances though.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 03:08 PM

The 50K actually pays him thru Nov 5, but he would have to be waived by Nov 3. Bruno did all the math, and he is invariably right on such matters.

And even though his salary is 736K, the minimum lux tax for any player is 825K this year.

Oh, and the clock starts ticking on the date of the first NBA game, not the first Spurs game.

duncan228
10-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Spurs cut Williams; down to 15-man limit (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/spurs-cut-willi.html)
By Mike Monroe

Marcus Williams probably knew "The Turk" was lurking at Spurs practice on Sunday. He hadn't played a minute in the team's last two preseason games, while Malik Hairston, the only other player in camp without a guaranteed contract, had logged productive court time in games Gregg Popovich had declared would begin to resemble regular season tests in terms of player rotations.

Sensing a cut might be coming didn't make acceptance of reality any easier after Popovich delivered the news after Sunday's workout.

Williams, an affable guard-forward from Arizona, found a far corner at the team's practice facility and sat, all alone, trying hard to maintain his composure.

Finally, Michael Finley, the team's oldest player and a role model for Williams' game, came out of the locker room and did his best to console him.

Cutting Williams got the Spurs down to the NBA's 15-player roster limit one day ahead of the cutdown deadline.

The 33rd selection of the 2007 draft, out of University of Arizona, Williams averaged 4.2 points, 1.6 assists and 1.8 rebounds in five pre-season game.

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 03:22 PM
I know it has to be done, but I don't envy the people who are telling guys like MW that he has been cut.

benefactor
10-25-2009, 03:32 PM
I know it has to be done, but I don't envy the people who are telling guys like MW that he has been cut.
Indeed. It's easy for posters on an internet forum to say, "He sucks, cut his ass" but the reality is much harder. This the guys life and dreams we are talking about here. He spent a whole year in the D-League busting his ass to get to this point.

Good luck, MW. Hopefully you find a home.

picnroll
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Go make bank in Europe. That's what's important.

Interrohater
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm in the army and deployed to Iraq a couple times. Speak for yourself. He hasn't worked for shit. He's playing a game, grow up.

completely deck
10-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I can't say I'll miss him or say that I'll regret not having him on our team. Good luck, Marcus

picnroll
10-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm in the army and deployed to Iraq a couple times. Speak for yourself. He hasn't worked for shit. He's playing a game, grow up.

Deployed or not if you were saying "cut his ass, he's worthless' you're a dipshit.

JustinJDW
10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Who was the better player? Marcus Williams or Malik Hairston?

ChumpDumper
10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm in the army and deployed to Iraq a couple times. Speak for yourself. He hasn't worked for shit. He's playing a game, grow up.So no professional athlete can possibly work hard?

benefactor
Who was the better player? Marcus Williams or Malik Hairston?
It's actually pretty close. I would say that Williams is more talented than Hairston but his lack of an NBA body was his undoing.

ChumpDumper
Who was the better player? Marcus Williams or Malik Hairston?Hairston.

Solid D
10-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Avery Johnson could be of some encouragement to Marcus.

Bruno
10-25-2009, 03:51 PM
First, best of luck to Marcus.

Second, it's a damn good news for Hairston. He can still be waived before January when his contract become guaranteed but he has crossed a big hurdle. It will be interesting to see if Pop goes with him or goes with Bogans to play some minutes behind Manu, RJ, Mason and Finley.

benefactor
10-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Second, it's a damn good news for Hairston. He can still be waived before January when his contract become guaranteed but he has crossed a big hurdle. It will be interesting to see if Pop goes with him or goes with Bogans to play some minutes behind Manu, RJ, Mason and Finley.
Definitely. This is what I have been hoping the outcome would be...Hairston getting a chance to earn his minutes on the floor in the regular season. I'm really pulling for him to play well because it really opens up our personnel options if he does.

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 03:59 PM
To me, it is not a question right now: Malik has shown better offense and defense than Bogans. The thing is though, that Bogans is so new, I (and surely the staff) know Bogans can turn it up defensively with some more time with the team.

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Not only is Hairston a better player, but he knows the system better..as many of us have noticed, he's also developed great chemistry with Hill and Blair, 2 guys that are going to play a big factor off our bench this year..

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Hill, Manu, Malik, Blair can be a high energy, good defensive second unit.

Out of those players however, I don't think Blair or Malik get very many minutes. Blair more than Hairston, but I have a feeling Blair will play less than Spurs fans are happy with.

Thompson
10-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Good luck Marcus. He's got enough talent to stick somewhere, whether it's here or overseas for a couple years until he can come back. He averaged a freaking triple-double in the final month or so of the D-league, he has potential.

Solid D
10-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Right now, I think Bogans has the edge defensively, but Hairston has a better, attacking-style offensive game. They both have value if there is an injury to one of the primary wing players.

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Good!
Welcome Hairston!!

Interrohater
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Deployed or not if you were saying "cut his ass, he's worthless' you're a dipshit.
First, I've never said that. I'm just disagreeing with your sympathy for him because of what some posters on an internet forum have said. Who gives a fuck? Everybody works hard, is my point. Look at James Gist, he's working his ass off and didn't even get an invite to camp. You called out the posters on this forum for not working hard. I was merely reacting to it.

ulosturedge
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Hill, Manu, Malik, Blair can be a high energy, good defensive second unit.

Out of those players however, I don't think Blair or Malik get very many minutes. Blair more than Hairston, but I have a feeling Blair will play less than Spurs fans are happy with.

No I don't see Blair getting many minutes to start the season, but I think his performance will force Pop to give him more minutes as we get deeper into the season.

And I hope this means Malik is in. I think he has the potential to get some meaningful minutes playing specific match ups throughout the season. Further development and who knows how much better Malik will be in the future.

I feel for Marcus Williams but his lack of assertiveness was his undoing. He just didn't show enough to warrant giving him a roster spot.

Interrohater
10-25-2009, 04:24 PM
So no professional athlete can possibly work hard?
Nope, didn't mean it to sound that way. I'm sure they all work hard, but compared to some people's lifestyles and challenges, maybe it pales in comparison. How's that?

DynastySpurs210
10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Next: Keith Bogans

Muser
10-25-2009, 04:57 PM
This roster looks good to go now.

exstatic
10-25-2009, 05:07 PM

I can guarantee you they won't be cutting a guaranteed contract.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
I can guarantee you they won't be cutting a guaranteed contract.

I can guarantee you won't regret that post

Darkwaters
10-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Theres really no need to waive anybody else. The roster is at the magic number 15. Hairston's contract will not be guaranteed for a while...thereby giving you time to take a longer look at him. And theres no need to waive Bogans as you're paying his salary regardless. The only reason you'd waive him is if he was your 15th man and you had another guy you wanted to bring in to fill that roster spot. At this point...not so much.

Take it forward as is.

completely deck
10-25-2009, 05:13 PM

You must be new here, and by here, I mean understanding the Spurs FO

jesterbobman
10-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I think Williams' game just doesn't quite translate, he's outdone by lack of athleticism, which is just exploited at the NBA level. He's a skilled player who can definitely dominate the NBDL, but the reality was that he had to go, he didn't have a role here this year.
He should go and make money in Europe. His height & passing ability make him a good fit in a motion(offense) & zone(Defense) system, fitting the Euro game better than he does the NBA game of Iso's and man to man.
He should work with a trainer doing work on athleticism, trying to improve it as much as he can(sprint work, jumping etc). If he can be a bit better athletically, he can have a role someday.

Best of Luck to Marcus

Spurs Brazil
10-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Good luck to Williams

Williams, an affable guard-forward from Arizona, found a far corner at the team's practice facility and sat, all alone, trying hard to maintain his composure.

Finally, Michael Finley, the team's oldest player and a role model for Williams' game, came out of the locker room and did his best to console him.

Nice one by Fin

AFBlue
10-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Williams will probably tear up D-League this year and get called up during the season to play in the NBA. He's got a good all-around game and someone will recognize it.

But unfortunately for him, Hairston improved his all-around game and has the athleticism to stick in the league. Williams was clearly the odd man out.

Like I said though, he's demonstrated good skills and solid work ethic...he'll stick somewhere.

Sissiborgo
10-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I think Hairston is on the same role as Williams...

ulosturedge
10-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Umm there is no reason to waive Bogans. His contract and the luxury tax is all said and done. I just don't want them to try and give him minutes he don't deserve just because they did go out their way to sign him.

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
As much as I dislike Finley's role on the team, he's truly a class act and a guy to look up to for young players..

Bruno
10-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Like it or not but the most likely scenario for the start of the season is Bogans at the end of the bench and Hairston on the inactive list. Bogans should be useful on some specific defensive missions.

Bogans has been bad in the preseason but he has been a solid player for years and Pop doesn't give up on players because they are in a shooting slump.

Chieflion
10-25-2009, 06:10 PM
He was a solid player, just did not have the tools to make it at the NBA level. Take it from Haislip, go play in Europe.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 06:13 PM
In news of another erstwhile Spur draftee, it appears Jack McClinton is headed to Turkey. From Thursday's Miami Herald:

Jack McClinton was back at BankUnited Center on Wednesday night, taking a sneak peek at what the University of Miami men's basketball team looks like without him.

The two-time All-ACC first-team guard and recent NBA second-round pick -- who is leaving Thursday to join his professional team in Turkey

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/story/1294381.html

There was no mention of him on the Turkish Basketball League official site.

Chieflion
10-25-2009, 06:17 PM
In news of another erstwhile Spur draftee, it appears Jack McClinton is headed to Turkey. From Thursday's Miami Herald:

Jack McClinton was back at BankUnited Center on Wednesday night, taking a sneak peek at what the University of Miami men's basketball team looks like without him.

The two-time All-ACC first-team guard and recent NBA second-round pick -- who is leaving Thursday to join his professional team in Turkey

McClinton is a SOB.

Bruno
10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
McClinton's new team is Aliaga Petkim.

Interrohater
10-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Marcus Williams definitely has the tools, but maybe he just needs some playing time against better competition. Overseas, starting right next to the Gist

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
McClinton's new team is Aliaga Petkim.

:lol

I checked this website before I posted and the McClinton update was not there, now it is.

http://www.tblstat.net/

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 06:30 PM
In memory of KBP, the 2500 seat arena that Jack will call home:

http://www.eurobasket.com/arena/aliaga.jpg

duncan228
10-25-2009, 06:31 PM

:lol

Spurs Brazil
10-25-2009, 06:39 PM

Why he didn't go there earlier? The Spurs could have keep his rights. He's a looooooong shot to make the NBA but we never know...

Chieflion
10-25-2009, 06:41 PM

What can I say? McClinton has failed.

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Why he didn't go there earlier? The Spurs could have keep his rights. He's a looooooong shot to make the NBA but we never know...

He made the same choice Marcus made in 2007. Spurs wanted both players to find a team in Europe after Summer League, both players wanted to take a shot at making an NBA team.

At least we still have the Gist. I wonder where he will wind up.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2009, 06:51 PM

http://www.eurobasket.com/arena/aliaga.jpgThat arena is > than most of the Greek ones.

EricB
10-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Damn Jack, shoulda listened to the Spurs dude...

DPG21920
10-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Even though the Spurs don't have his rights, if Jack ever gets to the point where he is worth a contract in the NBA, the Spurs can get him. Sure, he does not have to go to them first, but the way the Spurs handled their business with Jack I am sure would put them in the lead for his services if it ever got to that point.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Damn Jack, shoulda listened to the Spurs dude...That's probably where he would've ended up anyway if he didn't want to play for the Toros (in a crappier looking arena).

Obstructed_View
10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
As a Spurs fan, I celebrate the decision. It's too bad someone has to be waived, but at least it was the right someone this year.

angelbelow
10-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Goodluck to Marcus.

Dalamar_the_Dark
10-25-2009, 10:21 PM
The right decision.

Like I said. Marcus Williams is not an NBA player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2009, 10:55 PM

This is like a cruel game of survivor. Malik is the last person on the island after going through a long and hard process. But there might not be any reward when the show ends...

...except for the EXPERIENCE! Whatever happens in his career, you can bet that two years with the Spurs have made him a better balla, and maybe even a better person. And it looks really good on his resume for jobs in Europe.

Good luck, Marcus. :tu

z0sa
10-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Hairston is simply the better player.

let's get the season started

Agloco
10-25-2009, 11:11 PM

Speak for yourself. :rolleyes

bigdog
10-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Hope Marcus can find a home, if not, I'd love to see him back in Austin, but I know he can go somewhere else and be effective.

mountainballer
10-26-2009, 04:16 AM
Marcus Williams definitely has the tools, but maybe he just needs some playing time against better competition. Overseas, starting right next to the Gist

it won't be easy to find a place for Marcus in Europe. almost 100 players have been waived of NBA teams since beginning of Oktober (many are better known in Europe) and Euroleague and most domestic leagues already started.
MW either goes to 3rd level competition like Germany or France (even there it won't be that easy to find a team that gives him a guaranteed contract), or he will be back in the D-league. I expect the latter.

silverblackfan
10-26-2009, 07:03 AM
It was the decision I hoped the Spurs would make, but I am still sorry to see Marcus get cut. I also hope he plays overseas for a year to make some money and allowing the Spurs to try getting him next year. Seems like a pretty level kid with an interesting set of skills.
It is also good to see the hard work of Hairston paid off. I think Malik's dedication to defense is the beginning of our own home grown parameter defender.

Xevious
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
That's pretty insulting to people who have worked for years to get into a certain career field that actually makes a difference in peoples' lives. These kids get paid a ridiculous amount of money to take care of their body, train, and play a game. And even if they aren't good enough to ride the pine (while still making more money than most people), they still have other outlets to get paid as you mentioned.

So no professional athlete can possibly work hard?
Nobody is saying that. And I don't advocate trash talking the players, but let's be realistic here. They're playing a game.

picnroll
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
That's pretty insulting to people who have worked for years to get into a certain career field that actually makes a difference in peoples' lives. These kids get paid a ridiculous amount of money to take care of their body, train, and play a game. And even if they aren't good enough to ride the pine (while still making more money than most people), they still have other outlets to get paid as you mentioned.

Nobody is saying that. And I don't advocate trash talking the players, but let's be realistic here. They're playing a game.
I apologize for saying that Williams worked harder than 90% of the people here. That wasn't appropriate but came out of disgust for the mean spiritidness expreesed by quite a few here, constantly trashing Williams.

That said in terms of "get paid a ridiculous amount of money" he wasn't making bundles of money playing D-league. If you look at the hours he put in and a lot of the guys who never make it, it probably doesn't even make minimum wage. It's there choice, there dream but why trash guys who are trying?