PDA

View Full Version : Even better? After his summer workouts, MVP LeBron James says yes, he is

duncan228
10-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Even better? After his summer workouts, MVP LeBron James says yes, he is (http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/10/25/sports/nh1610051.txt)
By Bob Finnan

LeBron James was generally considered the best player in the NBA last season, as evidenced by his Most Valuable Player trophy.

But the Cavaliers forward insists he returned for the 2009-10 season a better player. The Cavs open the regular season at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday against the Boston Celtics at Quicken Loans Arena.

"I'm a much better player than (in) our last game against Orlando," he said. "I stay in the gym. You guys just see what's on TV. Cameras aren't there when I'm working out."

If that's the case, it's a downright scary thought for the rest of the league.

The 6-foot-8, 250-pound James embarked on a worldwide tour this summer. But his workout routine didn't waver. He took Cavs assistant coach Chris Jent and Cavs assistant athletic trainer Mike Mancias with him.

"We went around the world in 16 days," Jent said. "It was interesting ... and tiring."

James was promoting his new shoes, a new book and his documentary. The tour embarked through China, France and England, not to mention key stops in the United States.

Jent was there for the entire 10-city journey. James took out time from his hectic schedule to work out daily no matter where they were.

"Everyone who organized the tour did a good job to finding us great facilities," Jent said.

Jent, who was hired by the Cavs in November 2006, has evolved into James' mentor.

"I gravitate toward people who want to make other people better," James said. "He wanted to help me get better. The relationship is strong now."

Cavs coach Mike Brown said he's watched James' game grow every year.

"He's improved every year I've been here in every aspect of his game," Brown said. "Whether it's in the post, catching and shooting, leading the team or handling the ball, he's gotten better. He's one of the hardest workers I've seen. (Former Pacers guard) Reggie Miller is up there in the top three.

"When (James) works, he does things with a purpose."

Michael Jordan claimed he'd add something to his game every offseason.

Brown is not sure that's the case with the 24-year-old James.

"You feel funny saying this, but I don't know what he can't do anyway," he said. "It's not about him adding to his game. It's about continuing to get better in all aspects of his game. I think he'll be better in all areas this year."

That's saying something.

"That's what makes him who he is," Brown said. "He's already a very, very good basketball player, arguably one of the best all time.

"To think a guy like that has an upside is scary."

James made a quantum leap on the defensive end last season, as evidenced by his runner-up finish for the Defensive Player of the Year and being a first-team all-defensive performer.

He established career highs in free-throw percentage (78) and field-goal percentage (48.9) last year.

James also did a better job taking over games when it was needed. He also led the league in road scoring and fourth-quarter scoring. He averaged 28.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.2 assists.

James said he's seen an improvement in his shooting this season, which includes his perimeter game and interior work on the elbows.

Jent, a former Ohio State star, had to reconstruct James' shooting form two summers ago. It was more about fine-tuning his shot last summer.

"He's added a couple of things to his game," Jent said. "He hasn't applied them yet, just because he hasn't been in situations yet to use them. He worked hard in areas he had trouble with the previous season, as far as spots on the floor. He honed in on those areas.

"He became more of a consistent shooter. Last year, he shot the ball great. Make or miss, he was shooting the same shot. The difference this summer, he started at that point. The difference from the summer before, we tried to rebuild the shot a bit. We didn't mess around with his shot at all this summer. We just applied that shot to different areas on the floor. He'll be an even more consistent shooter."

James said the 39-year-old Jent has become more than just an assistant coach to him.

"We went to dinner and went sightseeing (last summer)," he said. "It's great to have a relationship like that."

Jent relishes the role he has with James. He said they have a great working relationship and have gotten to know each other better on and off the floor.

"I appreciate the fact that I can become so candid and honest with him," Jent said. "He knows how to perceive it. I'm just there to help him and inform him of my opinion. He can do with it what he wishes, but it's good that we can communicate."

Jent said he believes James — a first-team All-NBA performer — can become a better player.

"He's pretty darned refined," Jent said. "With his body size and his explosion, it creates difficulty in some areas (for James), like dribbling to a shot. He's so big and he's going so fast, that (leaves him) off-balance. Learning how to do those little things better will help him in the grand scheme of things."

Jent said there are very few things James can't do on the court.

He said it starts with his basketball IQ, which is extremely high.

"He's so physically gifted," Jent said. "He's so smart. The physical is from the head down. He's so smart about the game and how to be a professional. That's allowed him to progress so quickly."

When it's all said and done, however, James will be judged only one way.

"At the end of the day," Brown said, "he'll be measured by how many championships he wins."

21_Blessings
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nike-kobe-bryant-4-rings-04b.jpg

deL!
10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Well he's certainly not going to say he's worse...

KidCongo
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Kobe has small hands.

Riverwalkman
10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
considering the new traveling rules.

iggypop123
10-25-2009, 11:52 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Mugen_EP/DSC03250.jpg

Mike D
10-26-2009, 01:55 AM
LeBron did a lot of traveling this summer

That's all I got from the article.

Rummpd
10-26-2009, 03:53 AM
For a guy who has 0 championships in the NBA his ego is unreal. What an #$%@ Let your game do the talking even if they do change the traveling rules for you.

JJ Hickson
10-26-2009, 04:35 AM
He still has room for improvement. Until he gets on my level.

Danny.Zhu
10-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Bring it on!

Culburn369
10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
He's the best player in the league by far, what more does he need to do

Ring.

rjv
10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
ah yes, the constant humility of king james.

Dex
10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
That's all I got from the article.

It wasn't traveling. It's called a crab-dribble.

The_Game
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
For a guy who has 0 championships in the NBA his ego is unreal. What an #$%@ Let your game do the talking even if they do change the traveling rules for you.

Give him a chance he is only 24. the guy is a 30,7 and 7 guy this year most likely.

TheMACHINE
10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Give him a chance he is only 24. the guy is a 30,7 and 7 guy this year most likely.

exactly..he'll get his ring when Kobe retires. But only if Blair says so.

Culburn369
10-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Give him a chance he is only 24.

Uh, uh. None of that nonsense. Mount him. Ride him hard. Put him up wet.

That's what they did to Kobe, even after he'd rung three times in-a-row. If it's good enough for Bryant, it's certainly right for James.

Orlando Magic indeed.

tee, hee.

Fpoonsie
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
http://www.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nike-kobe-bryant-4-rings-04b.jpg

I may be a lil late to "the game", but is this supposed to be representative of the Kobe/Lebron puppet commercials?

Culburn369
10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
I may be a lil late to "the game", but is this supposed to be representative of the Kobe/Lebron puppet commercials?

No, it's that guy sellin' Hamburger Helper.

TheMACHINE
10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
When has Kobe ever prevented him from getting a ring? I'll answer it for you... never.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ominousinane/el1oo2.jpg

Allanon
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
That's pretty good :lol

Kobe had the "Couldn't do it without Shaq".

LeBron's gonna get that "Until he wins a ring", "Couldn't win without Kobe" (Olympics), LeChoke treatment.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Mugen_EP/DSC03250.jpg

Trainwreck2100
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ominousinane/el1oo2.jpg

the answer is still never

TheMACHINE
10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
the answer is still never

as in will NEVER win a ring?

TheMACHINE
10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
And the fact remains, Kobe has never prevented LeBron from getting a ring. Duncan has. Kobe hasn't.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Janthony019/Bynumumad.jpg

Trainwreck2100
10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
as in will NEVER win a ring?

Do you see the cavs making the finals this year, or the knicks next year? The East isnt as bad as it was in 07. So for the forseable future, do you see Kobe meeting Lebron in the Finals?

21_Blessings
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Janthony019/Bynumumad.jpg

Back to back NBA champion Andrew Bynum has a nice ring to it.

Trainwreck2100
10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
And the fact remains, Kobe has prevented Duncan from getting multiple rings. Kobe has, Lebron hasn't.

But Duncan has multiple rings.

21_Blessings
10-27-2009, 12:21 AM
But Duncan has multiple rings.

And he'll have less rings than Kobe after this season.

Trainwreck2100
10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
And he'll have less rings than Kobe after this season.

oh noes, the puppet only has 4 fingers nike would need to come up with a different dumbass gimmick if kobe wins again.

What am i saying, nike's was gonna come up with a different dumbass gimmick anyway