PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs cut Williams as team reaches 15-man limit (And: Blair expected back)

duncan228
10-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Spurs cut Williams as team reaches 15-man limit (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_cut_Williams_as_team_reaches_15-man_limit.html)
Mike Monroe

There's not much an NBA coach dislikes more than having to tell players they're being cut, especially when a player has established he is good enough to be on an NBA roster.

That made Sunday a rotten day for Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who gave the bad news to guard Marcus Williams, the team's second-round draft pick in 2003 who had played most of the previous two seasons for the Austin Toros, the NBA Development League team the Spurs own.

Williams and Malik Hairston — the guard-forward from Oregon whom the Spurs acquired in a swap of second-round picks with the Phoenix Suns on draft night in 2008 — waged a battle throughout training camp for a potential 15th spot on the roster.

Hairston appears to have won a spot unless the Spurs opt to keep fewer than 15.

“It's always difficult,” Popovich said after breaking the bad news to Williams. “This is the most difficult, in the sense that we could have gone in a couple different directions. The players were that close down the stretch, but it doesn't matter if a guy has played well, or poorly. It's always difficult to do.”

Popovich won't be surprised if Williams is signed by another NBA club before season's end, though he acknowledged that fewer teams are keeping a full complement because of the soft economy.

“Whoever we cut should be on an NBA team,” he said, “and it's a tough year to find a job. There's going to be an injury, and if guys don't get signed now, they may be signed at some point. But there are going to be fewer payers with jobs, or so I'm told.”

Williams likely had a sense that his odds of making the club were slim after Popovich held him out of the team's final two preseason games.

In five preseason games, the 6-foot-7 Williams, out of Arizona, averaged 14.2 points, 1.6 assists and 1.8 rebounds, in an average of 13.2 minutes.

It's good to be old: Spurs at least 33 years of age didn't have to practice Sunday, as Popovich gave Tim Duncan (33) the day off, along with Michael Finley (36), Theo Ratliff (36) and Antonio McDyess (35).

The team's youngest player, 20-year-old DeJuan Blair, also was held out of drills to give a bruised tailbone another day to heal.

Blair is expected to be back on the practice court this afternoon.

iilluzioN
10-25-2009, 08:18 PM
you must have alot of time in your hands finding the latest news...

thank you :)

Stump
10-25-2009, 08:21 PM
That made Sunday a rotten day for Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who gave the bad news to guard Marcus Williams, the team's second-round draft pick in 2003 who had played most of the previous two seasons for the Austin Toros, the NBA Development League team the Spurs own.
???

Wasn't he picked in 07 or 08?

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Marcus Williams, the team's second-round draft pick in 2003

Damn, Marcus has been around longer than I thought

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Williams averaged 14 points in 13 minutes per game, BUT he was still cut?!..

Mel_13
10-25-2009, 08:44 PM
fact-checker had the day off

ajballer4
10-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Marcus Williams was drafted in 07 not 03

exstatic
10-25-2009, 08:56 PM

That. Wrong championship year's draft.:lol I believe MW was only drafted in 2007.

I had to check the byline, twice, to make sure it wasn't McDonald. WTF?

MaNu4Tres
10-25-2009, 08:59 PM

lol and the other day Monroe quoted Duncan joining Robinson in 1995.

I need to tell my step-father to walk across the street and ask if he needs any fact checkers. I'll tell him you and Bruno are available if you are interested. Poor guy spends more time landscaping around his house than anything else.

Em-City
10-25-2009, 09:04 PM

it's meant to be something like 4.3 pts

Rummpd
10-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Betcha Blair bruises the back side often but he is still the BEAST!

Austin_Toros
10-25-2009, 09:28 PM

the author of the article is biased. he has exaggerated Williams' stats.
:lol