PDA

View Full Version : Parkers Expected Assist Average.

portnoy1
10-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Their Are Parker Lovers and Haters here in Spurstalk. However one category that is always up for debate is Parker not passing the ball enough or not getting credit for his passing cause of the Spurs offensive system. Parker last season averaged a career high 6.9 ast per game,and in all honesty he had it up to 7 per game for a while. Their are however 2 scenarios that should be considered regarding Parkers assist avg. this season. (1) Holinger claims that Parker will not score as much ( say 18-19pts per game ) but will have a higher assist avg. ( 7-9 a game ) considering the additions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio Mcdyess. (2) Parker's Points will obviously lower, But his assist may lower as well considering that Spurs will have players that can drive and shoot. Last year Finley/Bonner/Roger Mason Jr. were all spot up shooters and lived off of Parkers penetration. This year at the 2 and 3 the Spurs have Manu /RJ who are not pure shooters and are more likely to put it on the floor then settle for the Jumper, Dejuan Blair gets points Rebounding and Posting up, unlike KT who had a solid midrange jumper. I ask you, Which do you think will be the case this season? More or less assist for TP?

My would be Poll
option 1 - 6 assist or less pergame
option 2 - 7 assist or more pergame

Mel_13
10-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Real serious question for you:

If the Spurs increase their pace-adjusted offensive production, does it really matter what changes we see in Tony's individual statistics?

Bukefal
10-26-2009, 07:49 AM
His assists will probably stay the same, maybe even increase I think, as far as making points, also think it will stay the same and even increase. Parker has the ability to play the same like he did last season when he carried the team. This season he has the chance to be a leader again, even with the others being healthy

raspsa
10-26-2009, 07:50 AM
I think his assist numbers go up to 8 per game. He will be making a conscious effort to get his new teammates involved.

portnoy1
10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Real serious question for you:

If the Spurs increase their pace-adjusted offensive production, does it really matter what changes we see in Tony's individual statistics?
Just wondering what yall thought. Ofcourse a Spurs win is the most important thing, no matter what.

kace
10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
My would be Poll
option 1 - 6 assist or less pergame
option 2 - 7 assist or more pergame

my guess is 6,5 apg. which option is it in your poll ?

portnoy1
10-26-2009, 08:02 AM
well say thats option 1a, how about that?

ElNono
10-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Tony is not a pass-first PG, but a scoring PG. His assist numbers should go up ever so slightly because he is now surrounded with better talent. People that, when he actually decides to pass the ball, are more likely to knock down a shot. I simply don't see him averaging double figure assists a la JKidd or Nash...

MI21
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Less.

Ball in his hands less, less minutes due to Pop actually liking the backup, more players able to initiate the offense, less reliances on drive and kick 3PT shots.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I think he'll get about 6-6.5, a tad bit less than last season in a bit less minutes per game. That said, he shouldn't be judged on his assist averages, he's doing a wonderful job in the Spurs offense, which is never going to generate too many assists to the PG, even if they're called Nash or Paul.

Riverwalkman
10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Less than 7, my guess is 6.5. The advantage factor is Jefferon and Dice will put in more balls from Parker,but on the other hand, George Hill will play significant mins.

Mel_13
10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Just wondering what yall thought. Ofcourse a Spurs win is the most important thing, no matter what.

The Spurs have been bottom-5 in pace the last three years and they were only 15th in offensive efficiency last year, after being as high as 5th as recently as 2007. If the Spurs are in the teens in pace and top-ten in efficiency, Tony will still be All-Star and All-NBA. I would expect a slight increase in APG and a slight decrease in PPG.

kace
10-26-2009, 09:16 AM
well say thats option 1a, how about that?

How about making your poll options correctly ?

between 6 and 7 assists is maybe the answer that make the most sense and isn't even in your poll options.

hater
10-26-2009, 09:35 AM
well he has much better teamates now so if he does not average 7+ apg, he is not "passing"

stéphane
10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I guess the difference will be seen when running the open floor.
With RJ and Manu healthy, his scoring on fastbreak will decrease and assists will go up.
Wild guess but I think his scoring will be around 20 a game and his assists will be up between 7.5 and 7.8.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
If he isn't at 8 or more a game with this kind of firepower, all opinions that he's a bad passer will be validated.

I'm interested in whether you find a difference between the offense the Spurs run and that of the Suns or Hornets for example.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-26-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm interested in whether or not you know the players on the Hornets and Suns roster. Their talent level doesn't come close to the Spurs. 8 assists isn't that high. I doubt the celtics PF is that high and look what Rondo does with that team, if he could make a jumper he'd be a damn near perfect PG.

Since when is Garnett a low post scorer like Duncan? I see the Rondo lovefest but at least use proper examples.

Low post scorers like Duncan are not assist friendly.

It's true we have superior talent to Suns or Hornets, but we also have way more creators, Parker doesn't have the ball all the time and he doesn't initiate the offense all the time, like Nash or Paul do, we play a lot of 4-down with Duncan being the playmaker, we play a lot through Manu and we'll now use Jefferson a bit too. Blair is also not an assist friendly big. This is why we generally, as a team, generate quite a lot of assists ( adgusted to pace ), compared to other teams, but no one in particular gets too many , because we share the ball way more than most, if not all, teams.

So, no, don't expect Parker to average more assists because of the superior talent, it doesn't add up this way. He's doing a tremendous job anyway.

stéphane
10-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm interested in whether or not you know the players on the Hornets and Suns roster. Their talent level doesn't come close to the Spurs. 8 assists isn't that high. I doubt the celtics PF is that high and look what Rondo does with that team, if he could make a jumper he'd be a damn near perfect PG.

Wow you're clueless. Look up the stats first. Factor the minutes each player is playing, the pace of the team and the individual offensive production shooting wise before claiming such a ridiculous thing.

stéphane
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I just said pace factor, you moron.

Despite being french when you say "I doubt that" means you have no f***ing idea, so go and see and use correctly your own language before calling me names :toast

anakha
10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Yet another 'Parker is a bad passer' take?

http://www.82games.com/0809/08BOS1.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0809/08SAS1.HTM

Rondo's Assist per Bad Pass: 5.1
Parker's Assist per Bad Pass: 7.0

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Yet another 'Parker is a bad passer' take?

http://www.82games.com/0809/08BOS1.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0809/08SAS1.HTM

Rondo's Assist per Bad Pass: 5.1
Parker's Assist per Bad Pass: 7.0

Agree, Parker is actually a very good passer, don't know where this idea that he's not good comes from, probably because people judge him on his averages without knowing the Spurs system, or maybe because he doesn't do the flashy passing ( because Pop would kill him ).

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Duncan can't run a pick and roll? LOL

That's interesting that you know how the offense will go this season. Judging by last year, Parker is going to have the lions share of the ball.

Really? So an ox with excellent hands isn't assist friendly? Maybe if your name is Tony Parker...

The kind of job he's doing will be determined in the playoffs.

Sorry for engaging in a discussion with 14 year olds who so clearly haven't watched the Spurs play. Should of known better.

anakha
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Bottom line:

Rondo 8.2 dimes per game
Parker 6.9

Ah, hiding behind the 'lower assists = bad passer' routine.

:lol at you upholding Rondo as the better PG when he makes more bad passes per assist than Parker.

And an even better :lol at your perspective on point guards by insisting the Spurs need a true PG and offering up Vince Carter to play backup PG.

After you got exposed yesterday on your knowledge of PGs, you've lost all credibility on the subject.

Mel_13
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Ah, hiding behind the 'lower assists = bad passer' routine.

:lol at you upholding Rondo as the better PG when he makes more bad passes per assist than Parker.

And an even better :lol at your perspective on point guards by insisting the Spurs need a true PG and offering up Vince Carter to tp play backup PG.

What do you expect? He thinks Beno is a good NBA starting pointing guard.

anakha
10-26-2009, 10:47 AM
What do you expect? He thinks Beno is a good NBA starting pointing guard.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08SAC1.HTM

Beno's assist per bad pass: 3.8
Beno's Passing Rating: 8.6

Even by Spurstrodamus's standards, those are some pretty bad numbers for a 'starting NBA PG'

spursfan09
10-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Seriously, we know Tony Parker is not known for his assists. The only people who care are the people who simply do not want to give Parker his due. There's not much you can say bad about TP's game except for the one thing he might not do as well as other pg's. That doesn't mean that TP is < than those other guys. And seriously guys last year, who was going to score? We needed Tony points. This year his avg will go up if Manu stays healthy and with RJ on the team now.

Tony Parker is a good pg, in that he can control the tempo of the game, and he is a good leader and director. It's not all about assists.

mathbzh
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
It should be noticed that with Manu, Tim and now Jefferson and hopefully Hill, the Spurs have a lot of valuable contributors in assists.
With so many passers and only one ball I don't expect Parker to improve his assist numbers. If he can stay around 6 apg I think it is fine.

hater
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
just spurstrodummy being spurstrodummy