PDA

View Full Version : H1N1: A National Emergency

iilluzioN
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/10/24/h1n1.obama/story.flu.line.gi.jpg

Obama declares H1N1 emergency

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama has declared a national emergency to deal with the "rapid increase in illness" from the H1N1 influenza virus.

"The 2009 H1N1 pandemic continues to evolve. The rates of illness continue to rise rapidly within many communities across the nation, and the potential exists for the pandemic to overburden health care resources in some localities," Obama said in a statement.
"Thus, in recognition of the continuing progression of the pandemic, and in further preparation as a nation, we are taking additional steps to facilitate our response."

The president signed the declaration late Friday and announced it Saturday.

Calling the emergency declaration "an important tool in our kit going forward," one administration official called Obama's action a "proactive measure that's not in response to any new development." Having trouble finding vaccine? Share your story (http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=250082)

Another administration official said the move is "not tied to the current case count" and "gives the federal government more power to help states" by lifting bureaucratic requirements -- both in treating patients and moving equipment to where it's most needed.

The officials didn't want their names used because they were not authorized to speak on the record.

Obama's action allows Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius "to temporarily waive or modify certain requirements" to help health care facilities enact emergency plans to deal with the pandemic.
Those requirements are contained in Medicare, Medicaid and state Children's Health Insurance programs, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act privacy rule.

Since the H1N1 flu pandemic began in April, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died, said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention).

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/24/h1n1.obama/index.html

iilluzioN
10-26-2009, 09:03 AM
hmmm... should we be worried more then we already are??

whats the deal?

I remember they told everyone they would have almost 150 million H1N1 Shots avail by mid October....

E-Coli
10-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Takes the focus off of me.

Thunder Dan
10-26-2009, 09:13 AM
some girl at our work came in all last week sick, and turned out that she had this. She was too broke to not work and now we will all be sick. I'm like popping vitamin c hoping I don't get it

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
some girl at our work came in all last week sick, and turned out that she had this. She was too broke to not work and now we will all be sick. I'm like popping vitamin c hoping I don't get itWhat?!? You mean as a hard working citizen of this country we aren't guaranteed paid sick leave.

rjv
10-26-2009, 09:37 AM
it is a move to create more vaccine.

also, look for the virus to peak this or next week and then an additional wave occur somewhere near the beginning of january.

iilluzioN
10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
some girl at our work came in all last week sick, and turned out that she had this. She was too broke to not work and now we will all be sick. I'm like popping vitamin c hoping I don't get it

I would so go public with this :wow

no paid sick leave?

Thunder Dan
10-26-2009, 09:43 AM
What?!? You mean as a hard working citizen of this country we aren't guaranteed paid sick leave.

if she takes sick leave she can't get OT. She lives a lifestyle where her only disposable income comes from her overtime

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
if she takes sick leave she can't get OT. She lives a lifestyle where her only disposable income comes from her overtimeOr maybe its the fact that a free working citizen has very little in the way of rights when it comes to the benefits or protection they should receive when their ill.

This country does a piss poor job of taking care of the very people that spin the hamster wheel.

Thunder Dan
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Or maybe its the fact that a free working citizen has very little in the way of rights when it comes to the benefits or protection they should receive when their ill.

This country does a piss poor job of taking care of the very people that spin the hamster wheel.

well we have paid sick leave here, so that isn't a problem in this instance however I do agree. In this case, we just have someone trying to stick it out for a couple days so she can get like 5 hours of OT. If she takes sick leave and works the rest of the week, it negates any overtime she may have worked. Same thing as a vacation. So she is going to get everyone else sick, so she gets more hours when she is healthy and everyone else is out- which means more $$$ to her. I would fire her ass if I were her manager. Screwing the system is what I do, I see right through her.

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 09:53 AM
well we have paid sick leave here, so that isn't a problem in this instance however I do agree. In this case, we just have someone trying to stick it out for a couple days so she can get like 5 hours of OT. If she takes sick leave and works the rest of the week, it negates any overtime she may have worked. Same thing as a vacation. So she is going to get everyone else sick, so she gets more hours when she is healthy and everyone else is out- which means more $$$ to her. I would fire her ass if I were her manager. Screwing the system is what I do, I see right through her.You're getting mad at the wrong person. She's busting her ass for $$$. Nothing wrong with that because at the end of the day she goes to work for herself not you. Her boss should have sent her home or been willing to help compensates or offset some of the loss for the betterment of the company. Its not her job to look out for anyone other than herself.

Normally I agree with your posts. I think you're off here.

Thunder Dan
10-26-2009, 10:00 AM
You're getting mad at the wrong person. She's busting her ass for $$$. Nothing wrong with that because at the end of the day she goes to work for herself not you. Her boss should have sent her home or been willing to help compensates or offset some of the loss for the betterment of the company. Its not her job to look out for anyone other than herself.

Normally I agree with your posts. I think you're off here.

well maybe it's because I know her personally. I look at her as irresponsible. She will go out and spend thousands on credit cards she doesn't have and needs overtime just to get by. Because she doesn't know how to manage her money, she has to come into work. Overtime isn't guaranteed, that's why it's overtime. Her manager could send her home early one day to negate all overtime and there isn't really anything she can do about it. She just needs the opportunity to make OT which is why she comes in.

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
well maybe it's because I know her personally. I look at her as irresponsible. She will go out and spend thousands on credit cards she doesn't have and needs overtime just to get by. Because she doesn't know how to manage her money, she has to come into work. Overtime isn't guaranteed, that's why it's overtime. Her manager could send her home early one day to negate all overtime and there isn't really anything she can do about it. She just needs the opportunity to make OT which is why she comes in.I hear you but in the end its her world not yours. Its simply not her responsibility to remove herself. Tell her boss...anonymously via a letter or something.

Thunder Dan
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
The question is... how is she ALLOWED to work while having it? I would be pissed and take it up with the manager.

that's what I'm saying. She got sent home after she came in after going to the doctor who told her what she had. She came BACK to work just to get on the clock. It took her 2 days to see a doctor because she didn't have money to pay the copay, and after the doctor told her she had swine flu she came back to work.

tlongII
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm thinking this is a move to get the vaccine to illegal immigrants.

Hypochondriac
10-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I called in sick today.

florige
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
that's what I'm saying. She got sent home after she came in after going to the doctor who told her what she had. She came BACK to work just to get on the clock. It took her 2 days to see a doctor because she didn't have money to pay the copay, and after the doctor told her she had swine flu she came back to work.

Yeah her coming back to work knowing full well that swine flu is contagious was irresponsible on her part. That is selfish.

101A
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I hear you but in the end its her world not yours. Its simply not her responsibility to remove herself. Tell her boss...anonymously via a letter or something.

The Boss should not have to pay sick leave at 1.5 times the worker's value; which, if she works over 40 hours a week; he HAS to. That law was put into place to keep employers from exploiting workers; now workers use it to exploit employers. An employee did that at my company? - came in sick in order to accrue overtime; potentially harming ALL of my other employees; putting my health plan, disablility plans, and even created worker's comp claims????

I'd fire her.

jcrod
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
We had one our service engineers fly out to our CA office for some training. He came down with flu like symptoms and they made him stay at the hotel for 3days even after he felt 100% better the next day. No need to get everyone else sick.

DoubtingThomas
10-26-2009, 03:17 PM
When it comes to the H1N1 vaccine....I'm not feeling it.

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
The Boss should not have to pay sick leave at 1.5 times the worker's value; which, if she works over 40 hours a week; he HAS to. That law was put into place to keep employers from exploiting workers; now workers use it to exploit employers. An employee did that at my company? - came in sick in order to accrue overtime; potentially harming ALL of my other employees; putting my health plan, disablility plans, and even created worker's comp claims????

I'd fire her.I'm not saying he should pay her 1.5 times okay. Just suggesting that he send her home. The compensation was a courtesy.

You can't fire her for showing up to do her job. She is not responsible for everyone else. You'd be a grade a prick for firing her and ultimately a shitty boss for coming down on someone with a drive to capitalize on a paycheck. Send her home and give a pat on the back for making the effort. Hard to believe a "business" owner hasn't learned the value of managing people and all their little quirks.