PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen replacement Audition

Big Shot Bob
04-16-2005, 04:55 PM
I know that LJ3 was suppost to be his replacement but what if he dosent play???? Anyway lets talk about BB replacement canadates. There is know doubt that in 1 or 1 1/2 years he wont be nearly as effective . My pick is trevor Ariza.Trevor Ariza Stats. (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/trevor_ariza/index.html)

This guy is in his first year out of UCLA and is a defencive specalist. He leads that defence off the bench on a Knick team with very little deffence at all.
Hes 6-8 200 pounds and still growing. Is a good rebounder and runs with the best. If we got the guy we could play Bruce Bowen less and not wear him out
because he is getting old. Also his shot needs work. Anybody else have any picks?? :huh

timvp
04-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Ariza has a questionable work ethic. That's the last trait you can have when looking for a Bowen replacement.

If the Tha Third doesn't workout, I've been impressed by the defense I've seen out of Theron Smith (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/theron_smith).

bigbendbruisebrother
04-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Just curious. Why are you looking for Bowen's replacement? Do you mean backup?

Big Shot Bob
04-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Looks like a good rebounder from his stats. But I still havent seen him play much.

td4mvp21
04-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Why not start Devin Brown and find a bench player?? He has pretty good defense and plus he can score. I think that would work out.

ChumpDumper
04-16-2005, 05:05 PM
I can't see Zeke letting Ariza go except in a big trade.

If a Bowen replacement can't be found -- or if we already have one in the making with Devin -- maybe we could try making Nachbar into a Hedo-like defender. Probably asking too much, but he would be cheap anyway.

timvp
04-16-2005, 05:05 PM
I think Bowen has a good two years left in him. He doesn't have that many NBA years on him, so he should be able to last pretty long. Eventually though, the Spurs will need to replace him with another stopper.

Hopefully they'll be able to find that player.

Big Shot Bob
04-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Actually im looking for a taller Spurs SF. Devin Browns defence is undoubtobly good but hi height is going to hurt us against the TMAC ,Rashard Lewis, AK47 type players are taller tan BB, Ariza is an inch taller and faster. Just looking into the future.

spursfan05
04-16-2005, 06:28 PM
what about scola?

T Park
04-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Sanikidze is that guy IMO.

xcoriate
04-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Scola is a PF and a PF only

whottt
04-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Check out the skinny on this guy, all the scouting report finding done courtesy of Spurs Dominion and Cleve Steamer:

Mindaugas Katelynas (http://p068.ezboard.com/fspursdominionfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1608.topic)

Mindaugas Katelynas, UT-Chattanooga – F - The guy everyone was buzzing about before the tourney, and are still buzzing about. He’s a Lithuanian who ended up winning the NCAA slam dunk competition. An absolute athletic freak with a non-stop motor, during one game at Portsmouth, he banged his nose against the rim, he jumped so high. The buzz is, he could be the next Andrei Kirilenko. In terms of pure athleticism, he was unmatched at Portsmouth. So why hasn’t his name been on the radar before Portsmouth? He has an extremely inconsistent shooting touch, he loses concentration on defense from time to time, and his handle needs work. At 6’9, with his athleticism, he would be the prototypical small forward in the NBA, but he’s definitely going to take some time to develop. If he continues to stand out in Chicago, he may very well sneak into the end of the first round. I asked Jonathan Givony his assessment:

“Saying he’s the next Kirilenko might be a stretch. Maybe a poor man’s Kirilenko. Defensively, he doesn’t have that man to man quickness to lock down anyone. Now, keep in mind, Kirilenko was raw when he came out, too. Still, Katelynas is terrific. Perfect body for a three. He’s a freak athlete, and the holes in his games are correctable. He does have an outside shot at late first round, if he does well in Chicago. I don’t see anything that Joey Graham (of Oklahoma State) does better than Katelynas. The reason I make the comparison to Graham is because they’re both “potential guys.” But Joey Graham is inconsistent. Katelynas has a better work ethic, and he’s taller, so you’d think there’s more upside.”

That's just one report, a few others sound even more optimistic.

Cleve seems to have a good find there...I know when I hear a guy being compared to AK47...well he might not be the same type of defender Bowen is, but he definitely sounds like a turnover machine...The reports on this guy definitely get me excited...he sounds better than Sanikidze.

JUUOT
04-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Bruce is turning into a great leader, he is the x factor behind tony improvement in defense. even tony say it. so i think he could be the mentor for a french replacement:
Boris Diaw: fourth or fifth starter who can defend, distribute and do the little things that will not show up on the stat sheet. really fast, athletic and what you call work ethic is not a problem.
"One of the few people in the draft, who, if given space in a system, can make others around him better. He does a lot of the little things. He has a certain quiet leadership about him. He's intriguing." — Phoenix Suns international scout Tim Shea
this sounds like a bowen student to me

Big Shot Bob
04-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah that kid is good too!! I hope we can draft him.

ducks
04-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I want az's frye in the draft

Dre_7
04-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Frye is a PF right?
What about Gonzaga's PF, I like him. Could be a good big off the bench.
As far as BB's replacement, what is that Russian guy's name? He's a SF, right?

MeAndBobThrowChairs
04-17-2005, 12:14 AM
how many years does bruce got left on his contract?

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2005, 03:41 AM
he just sign a 3 year contract so i think after this year its 2 left remaining

Frenchise player
04-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Gonzaga PF is Ronny Turiaf another French player.
Diaw had a good game yesterday despite playing short time:
14 min, 13 points (5-5 FG), 4 reb and 2 assists.

cherylsteele
04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Just curious. Why are you looking for Bowen's replacement? Do you mean backup?

A backup now....a replacement later down the line.....Bruce won't be here forever....the more you work someone in now the easier a transition will be when the time comes for the Spurs and Bruce to part way for whatever reason......Just look how long it took us to find a replacement for Sean after his illness, we had no fore-warning....we do with Bruce.

I actually think Devin will eventually succeed Bruce for his role on the team....He shows he can play solid "D" and has a decent offense game....better than Bruce at this stage in his career.

naterade81
05-02-2005, 08:48 AM
http://www.katelynas.com

Check out the skinny on this guy, all the scouting report finding done courtesy of Spurs Dominion and Cleve Steamer:

Mindaugas Katelynas (http://p068.ezboard.com/fspursdominionfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1608.topic)

That's just one report, a few others sound even more optimistic.

Cleve seems to have a good find there...I know when I hear a guy being compared to AK47...well he might not be the same type of defender Bowen is, but he definitely sounds like a turnover machine...The reports on this guy definitely get me excited...he sounds better than Sanikidze.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 11:50 AM
I vote for Michael Pietrus whenever his current contract with the Warriors ends. That guy has the quickest lateral change of direction that I have ever seen. It is damn near impossible to run around the guy because he just stays in front of you no matter where you go. He is also tall and long and this year his offense was much better.

Maybe Big Dog can play his ass off the rest of the playoffs and we can sign and trade him for Pietrus. Yes I do know how highly unlikely that is.

boutons
05-02-2005, 11:53 AM
"Michael Pietrus"

America hates France. It's bad enough having one frog on the Spurs! :lol

mookie2001
05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
someone like loul deng or andre ingoudala would be perfect to learn with bowen and pop how to perfect their D

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2005, 12:29 PM
pick me player n pimp for free mate

picnroll
05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I'd love to get Pietrus. Good chance he could get traded but not for what the Spurs could offer.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2005, 12:52 PM
yeah if we could get Andre Iguodala we'd be sick
channing frye is not what we want

TheWriter
05-02-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/jugadores/E04/BHN.jpg

Mickael Gelabale

The Coach
05-02-2005, 04:08 PM
My first candidate to replace Bruce Bowen is Devin Brown. If Devin's offense develops to the degree that I think it will, and he becomes a terrific scorer, (and ultimately our 2 guard behind Ginobili), than my next candidate to replace Bruce Bowen would be "Michael Pietrus".

Gummi
05-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I like Devin's game but he's not able to play SF in this league. He's a solid SG not more not less. I see Devin as our main backup for Manu not a starter. I agree that Bowen still has two more years left in him as a starter.

As for his replacement I'm not sure. Several suitors but no one special in my mind. Hopefully a 6-8, 210-pound, very athletic and able to rebound and knock down the open shot.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 05:11 PM
As for his replacement I'm not sure. Several suitors but no one special in my mind. Hopefully a 6-8, 210-pound, very athletic and able to rebound and knock down the open shot.

"Michael Pietrus" :)

T Park
05-02-2005, 08:06 PM
bad enough having one frog on the Spurs

Except for he isn't french genius.

td4mvp21
05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I like Andre Iguodala. Good defender, good at steals, flashy dunker (something we would welcome), his jumpshot is streaky, however that could be fixed. I don't think Phillie is going to let go of him though.

MI21
05-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Iquodala is not coming to the Spurs unless you want to give Philadelphia Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker. He would be a fantastic fit hypothetically, especially if he worked on his corner J's :p

Finding someone to replace Bruce is going to be nigh on impossible. You are just not going to get someone with his speed, strength, positioning and work ethic for nothing, there is a reason he has been able to start on a Top 3 NBA team for 4 years now despite being below average offensively. I'd expect the Spurs to mold a lesser known player, a draft pick that has been stashed overseas or someone already on the roster into Bruces' role.