PDA

View Full Version : Sick of seeing local teams with their kids out on the street begging for trip money.

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I know some of you parents here have participated in this kind of activity.

Seems to be the new trend over the last two to three years. Yesterday about 20 kids wearing their team uniforms parked themselves at the busiest intersection in town with boots and buckets looking for handouts for their team trip.

Kids swinging bats. 10 year old cheerleaders doing flips and turns on the medians. Parents running out in to traffic to take donations.

Pretty fucking pathetic to have all those youngsters out there begging for handouts.

I'm not the only one irritated by the message this sends out. This guy says it a little better than I do.

Dale Bowers

Stop the begging

I am disgusted with the parents of young students who feel it appropriate to teach their children to beg.

Often on street corners one will see this group or that begging for money for some after-school activity.

I think this sends a most inappropriate message to these children, reinforcing the “something for nothing” mentality that is so common today.

I do realize the benefits of extracurricular activities. I am impressed with the efforts that go into being a contender in all the things that make for a well-rounded young person. Students learn so much about life, competing in all these activities. I think capping it off with begging for the money to make some sort of trip is not the proper way to finance these rather expensive jaunts.

Students should be encouraged to participate in fundraising in a more constructive manner. The time and effort expended in these efforts would certainly be more rewarding to both the students and their parents than begging on a corner with poorly lettered sign.

Would it not be better to hold a bake sale or ham dinner or the ubiquitous carwash?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” — Ben Franklin

Shaolin-Style
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Why wash cars when you can just stand around somewhere busy and collect twice as much from people with no work at all?

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Why wash cars when you can just stand around somewhere busy and collect twice as much from people with no work at all?That's the point of my rant. Parents shouldn't teach that type of mentality.

Evil Angel
10-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I never give hand outs to these pan handlers.

Kermit
10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
this shit is getting obscenely bad in austin. right now it's the black church who yell at you to roll down your window and then yell at you about jesus while dangling their enormous pixie sticks in you face.

phxspurfan
10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
This weekend I told some cheerleaders not to wash my car since it will just rain the day after anyway. But I've never seen kids begging for nothing in return in Phoenix.

Frenzy
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
I once saw a team of h.s girls look like track girls dressed...um well...lets just say they were NOT wearing sweats and windbreakers. They were asking for money for a trip. Some were screaming and whistling jumping around..some were even doing splits on the median. They look to be cleaning up some serious cash. :greedy

mrsmaalox
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
My main problem with it is that it's a dangerous situation to put kids in. As a parent of a kid who is heavily involved in school and extracurricular sports leagues, I much prefer to just fork out the money for my kid. But I understand a lot of parents can't do that, and the team has to resort to fundraising. This summer I saw several teams out risking their lives on medians selling ice cold bottled waters which they couldn't hand out fast enough. Great idea. But because I like kids and kid sports I usually end up giving them money even if it's for nothing in return.

BacktoBasics
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
My main problem with it is that it's a dangerous situation to put kids in. As a parent of a kid who is heavily involved in school and extracurricular sports leagues, I much prefer to just fork out the money for my kid. But I understand a lot of parents can't do that, and the team has to resort to fundraising. This summer I saw several teams out risking their lives on medians selling ice cold bottled waters which they couldn't hand out fast enough. Great idea. But because I like kids and kid sports I usually end up giving them money even if it's for nothing in return.
I would have been fine with selling something for a profit. Its the begging for handouts that pisses me off.

JoeChalupa
10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
My daughter is participating in car-washes and other activities to earn money. Learn to earn is my motto.

xellos88330
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree with learn to earn policy. I didn't have my daughters ears pierced yet until she is old enough to earn them.

PM5K
10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
I thought you lived in Corpus?

EricB
10-26-2009, 11:33 PM
My daughter is participating in car-washes and other activities to earn money. Learn to earn is my motto.

I could go political with this but I'm in a good mood.

thispego
10-26-2009, 11:35 PM
:rolleyes

Blake
10-27-2009, 12:04 AM

it's actually illegal to sell things along the right of way like that in SA.

the only people allowed to be on corners are the newspaper guys........something having to do with freedom of speech....

not sure how the donation things works.....I know that streetwalkers with little signs just flat asking for money is illegal, but then the firemen are allowed to do it.

Blake
10-27-2009, 12:06 AM
I would have been fine with selling something for a profit. Its the begging for handouts that pisses me off.

+1. It's annoying as hell, especially outside of the grocery store.

MiamiHeat
10-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I agree

When I was their age, I had to walk fifteen miles to work.

I. Hustle
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree

When I was their age, I had to walk fifteen miles to work.

You wouldn't even walk fifteen feet for a hot pizza and a video game you lying bastard.

Blake
10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
You wouldn't even walk fifteen feet for a hot pizza and a video game you lying bastard.

is the video game with or without a wireless remote?

baseline bum
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I hate that shit. I don't know which is worse: getting accosted by the homeless every time I step outside of Ralph's in LA or the bastard kids in SA who try to guilt you and whose parents give you weird looks if you just tell them no and don't make up excuses. No, I don't give a fuck about your church league softball team. Why the fuck do you even need to raise money for that kind of shit? I mean, shit, why the fuck do you have to beg to get a freaking glove and a ball? (don't tell me none of those fuckers had a bat they could all share in one of their garages)

mookie2001
10-27-2009, 02:41 PM
no big deal for me, just look them in the eye and say NO, or else if theyre imtimidating you or look thuggish ruggish, i always tempt them and say all i have is hundreds.

Extra Stout
10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
What really pisses me off is when Christian Guy at work tries to hit me up for his kid's "mission trips" to Breckenridge, Colorado, and Seville, Spain.

CosmicCowboy
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I saw one a few weeks ago that really looked like some family running a scam. They had junior sitting in a chair over on the right side of the street in his football uniform with a cardboard sign leaning up against the chair...something about donations for uniforms and equipment... He was so cute...probably 100# and most of it blubber...looked almost round with a football uniform and his cute fat sweaty cheeks...he was sitting in the chair trying to stay awake..LOL...His mom and dad (both 300 pound heavy weights) were out working the traffic with cups...bitch actually had the audacity to BANG ON MY WINDOW and shake her cup at me...

thispego
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
He was so cute...probably 100# and most of it blubber...looked almost round with a football uniform and his cute fat sweaty cheeks...

:wow what are you saying? :nope

CosmicCowboy
10-27-2009, 03:19 PM
:wow what are you saying? :nope

I'm saying he was a tub of lard that was panting and sweating just sitting in a chair. I couldn't imagine that little fat fucker running suicides and horses and doing laps of the track between blocking drills.

mrsmaalox
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm saying he was a tub of lard that was panting and sweating just sitting in a chair.

I think your emphasis on his cuteness was bit disconcerting :lol

CosmicCowboy
10-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I think your emphasis on his cuteness was bit disconcerting :lol

I'm saying the little fat fucker was a prop for the parents...he was SUPPOSED to look cute...

mookie2001
10-27-2009, 03:23 PM
i almost crashed my tahoe trying to get a look at those sweaty fat little cheeks!

thispego
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
:lmao

thispego
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm saying the little fat fucker was a prop for the parents...he was SUPPOSED to look cute...

doesnt sound cute, but i guess it wasnt my money they were after

mrsmaalox
10-27-2009, 03:27 PM
i almost crashed my tahoe trying to get a look at those sweaty fat little cheeks!

:lol

I. Hustle
10-27-2009, 03:33 PM
There is a pregnant chick over here that hangs out at an intersection by where I work that asks for money everyday. I think she is having an elephant because she has been pregnant for the whole year and a half that I have worked here.