PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' Bynum appears ready, Gasol isn't

duncan228
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Lakers' Bynum appears ready, Gasol isn't (http://www.dailynews.com/ci_13641467?source=rss)
By Elliott Teaford

EL SEGUNDO - Andrew Bynum said he would be ready to play in the Lakers' regular-season opener Tuesday against the Clippers.

His strained right rotator cuff no longer was troubling him Sunday. Neither was a sore left Achilles or a tight left hamstring.

Pau Gasol's status for opening night was less certain, although he made it seem as if Friday's game against the Dallas Mavericks or next Sunday's contest against the Atlanta Hawks might be more realistic. His strained right hamstring was no better.

Bynum laughed when asked if he was ready to play all 48 minutes Tuesday.

"Everything's good," he said. "I came in early and got treatment, so everything's good. I'm feeling good. The shoulder, I got over it in a few days. I also had something tender in my hamstring, but I took a couple of days off and it calmed down."

Gasol couldn't say for certain whether he would suit up against the Clippers.

"I didn't practice (Sunday) and it doesn't look like I'm going to practice (today)," he said. "In the long run, in the big picture, I try to tell myself that the most important thing is that I get myself healthy at this point in the year, so I can continue to be healthy.

"I don't want to re-injure myself or put myself in a risky situation. Then I won't be helping my team in the long run. That's what I'm trying to keep in mind."

Bynum participated in Sunday's practice with teammates and reported no pain. Gasol worked out on an exercise machine and said his hamstring still hurt.

No question, the Lakers will need at least one of their 7-footers when they play against the Clippers on Tuesday. If Bynum is sound enough to play but Gasol isn't, DJ Mbenga would be Bynum's backup and Lamar Odom would replace Gasol.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson probably wouldn't play Bynum and Mbenga together, as he would pair Bynum and Gasol, but there always is that option. Clippers center Chris Kaman is a formidable presence in the middle, even with Bynum and Gasol healthy.

"We'll see what (today) brings," Jackson said of Gasol's status.

"I'm not so concerned. We've got two days between our first game and our second one, so if worse comes to worse we've got a really great replacement for him in Lamar Odom."

Last season, the 6-foot-10 Odom took the place of Bynum in the starting lineup while Bynum was sidelined for 32 games by a torn right knee ligament. Odom is capable of playing all five positions on the floor, although he's perhaps best as a point forward.