PDA

View Full Version : Reid To Bring Public Option to a vote.

MannyIsGod
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Should be interesting.

Reid Will Put Public Option to Vote
(http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/PoliticalWire/~3/SqPZzqH-Wo4/reid_will_put_public_option_to_vote.html)

from Taegan Goddard's Political Wire (https://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FPoliticalWire)

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) "will announce this afternoon that he plans to push ahead with a public option vote -- one that includes an opt-out provision for states -- even though he's currently short several votes for passage, according to people close to the situation," Politico (http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/1009/Reid_to_announce_push_for_optout_option.html) reports.

Reid has 3:15 p.m. press conference to discuss details.

"Leadership sources tell me that Reid, who spoke with virtually every member of his 60-member caucus this weekend, currently has between 56 and 57 votes for the opt-out, which is being pushed (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/10/25/schumer_says_democrats_close_to_60_votes.html) by Sen. Charles Schumer, according to Democratic aides."http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/PoliticalWire/~4/SqPZzqH-Wo4

boutons_deux
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
"one that includes an opt-out provision for states"

this is chickenshit.

no states opt out
(a state-level public option would be crushed by the much larger private insurers. same story with insurance co-ops.)

no trigger (won't ever be pulled)

strong public option (aka Medicare for all, setting prices for procedures is best way to cap costs).

public option NOT operated by a private insurer/contractor, but run by expanded Medicare.

yellow-bellied, co-opted Dems gonna screw it up. Reid, Pelosi, Blue Dogs suck.

Magic Negro needs to step and ram through a strong public option.

MannyIsGod
10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
This is as good as its going to get. Obviously the ideal scenario from the progressive standpoint is medicare for all but that is simply not in the cards. A state opt out program is better than I was expecting to see after all the talk of the trigger so if we get that then I'll be fairly happy.

Now of course this has a long way to go but this is encouraging and would be far better than the bacus bullshit we hard earlier.

jack sommerset
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
This is as good as its going to get. Obviously the ideal scenario from the progressive standpoint is medicare for all but that is simply not in the cards. A state opt out program is better than I was expecting to see after all the talk of the trigger so if we get that then I'll be fairly happy.

Now of course this has a long way to go but this is encouraging and would be far better than the bacus bullshit we hard earlier.

:lol

boutons_deux
10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I read where the public option would be contracted to a private insurer. WTF?

that's like paying a Blackwater mercenary murderer $6K month rather than a US Marine $2K/month.

Wild Cobra
10-26-2009, 04:11 PM

that's like paying a Blackwater mercenary murderer $6K month rather than a US Marine $2K/month.

Do you honestly expect congress to do the right thing?

baseline bum
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM

You got a link on that? What the fuck is the point of a public option if they do that shit?

hope4dopes
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
bye bye harry.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM

That really surprises you, croutons? :lol You have so much to learn about the real world.

I can probably even come up with a top 5 list of insurers on this one, if you give me some time to peruse the financial disclosure statements of Reid and some of his Congressional libtard buddies.

George Gervin's Afro
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
bye bye harry.

It's good to see that a plotician would put his career on the line for the betterment of the country. Bravo Harry Reid! :toast

Crookshanks
10-26-2009, 06:49 PM
It's good to see that a plotician would put his career on the line for the betterment of the country. Bravo Harry Reid! :toast
For the betterment of the country... :lmao

spursncowboys
10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
It's good to see that a plotician would put his career on the line for the betterment of the country. Bravo Harry Reid! :toast I guess that land sale was for the betterment too?

George Gervin's Afro
10-26-2009, 06:56 PM
For the betterment of the country... :lmao

I understand making health care more accessable pisses you off..BOO!

George Gervin's Afro
10-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I guess that land sale was for the betterment too?

Have you had the chance to watch your glenn beck show today?

spursncowboys
10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Have you had the chance to watch your glenn beck show today?
No, but just in case you don't know what I am talking about. Here you go:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/11/AR2006101101640.html

George Gervin's Afro
10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
No, but just in case you don't know what I am talking about. Here you go:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/11/AR2006101101640.html

let me guess.. a story that protrays reid in a negative light...Boo! Please keep your idiocy to yourself ..

coyotes_geek
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM

So over the course of the past year we've gone from making health care "universal", then dropped that and went with "affordable", and now we've dropped that and are down to "accesssible".

I laugh, even though in the end the joke is on us, the suckers who are going to have to pay for this boondoggle.

George Gervin's Afro
10-26-2009, 08:40 PM

So over the course of the past year we've gone from making health care "universal", then dropped that and went with "affordable", and now we've dropped that and are down to "accesssible".

I laugh, even though in the end the joke is on us, the suckers who are going to have to pay for this boondoggle.

That's a good thing right? You dead enders complain about everything. Hey cookie, we already pay for it..

coyotes_geek
10-26-2009, 08:49 PM
That's a good thing right? You dead enders complain about everything. Hey cookie, we already pay for it..

I think Glenn Beck is on. Why don't you go find something to get outraged over. In the mean time I'll keep complaining about a plan that will only end up making our healthcare more expensive than it is already.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM

Ignorance is bliss, eh GGA?

LOL. Yep, add 40 million to the list of covered, artificially depress doctor wages (making the profession less attractive to enter), don't do anything about tort reform, and yet health care is going to end up 'more accessible.'

Libs are funny.

baseline bum
10-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Ignorance is bliss, eh GGA?

LOL. Yep, add 40 million to the list of covered, artificially depress doctor wages (making the profession less attractive to enter), don't do anything about tort reform, and yet health care is going to end up 'more accessible.'

Libs are funny.

Or try to take the middle-man insurance vultures out of the equation. Conservatives are funny when they trash something that has worked throughout the rest of the world.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 09:44 PM
"work" is an interesting verb.

Anyways, we're headed in the wrong direction. But it's trendy, so enjoy.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Uncle Samta Claus will pay for it all!!!11 Good Lord this country is stupid.

spursncowboys
10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Or try to take the middle-man insurance vultures out of the equation. Conservatives are funny when they trash something that has worked throughout the rest of the world.
What country has it worked? Have any medical advancements come from those countries?

baseline bum
10-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Uncle Samta Claus will pay for it all!!!11 Good Lord this country is stupid.

It hasn't exactly been a strong decade for the people with faith in unrestrained markets being efficient for us with Enron's rape of this nation, CDS crashing our entire economy, health care costs spiraling out of control here while they're being reined in everywhere else in the first world, American jobs going to China because of essentially arbitrage opportunities, gas prices shooting through the roof last year when even demand was going down, median incomes not keeping up with inflation while the richest control even more of the wealth, etc.

baseline bum
10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
What country has it worked? Have any medical advancements come from those countries?

Let's see... socialized medicine has slashed costs in Germany, Japan, Switzerland, France, Canada, and the UK, right off hand. Why the hell should we pay middle-men paper-pushers in the insurance industry for the right to be forced into a system that charges us 20% more per capita than any other nation in the world?

hope4dopes
10-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Let's see... socialized medicine has slashed costs in Germany, Japan, Switzerland, France, Canada, and the UK, right off hand. Why the hell should we pay middle-men paper-pushers in the insurance industry for the right to be forced into a system that charges us 20% more per capita than any other nation in the world?Why indeed when we can pay goverment middle-men to push paper for the right to be forced into a system that is over priced and ineffecient, as well as corrupt.Please what does the goverment do that has wound up feasible?

baseline bum
10-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Why indeed when we can pay goverment middle-men to push paper for the right to be forced into a system that is over priced and ineffecient, as well as corrupt.Please what does the goverment do that has wound up feasible?

A man on the moon, the interstate highway system, the internet, winning the Cold War, the Hubble telescope, winning WWII, the space program responsible for all our satellite communications, and sending a rover to Mars all come to mind as impressive things our government has done. At least the government has to be somewhat accountable to us, or risk being voted out of office.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 10:42 PM
It hasn't exactly been a strong decade for the people with faith in unrestrained markets being efficient for us with Enron's rape of this nation, CDS crashing our entire economy, health care costs spiraling out of control here while they're being reined in everywhere else in the first world, American jobs going to China because of essentially arbitrage opportunities, gas prices shooting through the roof last year when even demand was going down, median incomes not keeping up with inflation while the richest control even more of the wealth, etc.

You're right, it hasn't been a "strong decade" for those opposed to a managed economy considering that the markets of money and credit in this nation are thoroughly dominated by the federal government. Enron is a great example, seeing as how in spite of the existence of the Securities and Exchange Commission and a host of federal regulations, in existence for decades, a great fraud was still able to be perpetrated in the capital markets. And if you want to bitch about inflation, well you can start with those who control the currency.

Anyways, that's a nice segue from the topic at hand, which is the market for health care services. Seeing as how that market also has plenty of government interference, to the tune of half of expenditures on health care services controlled by governments in this nation, it's not surprising that we see the clusterfuck before us. Naturally instead of seeing the problem clearly, we close our eyes and pretend that some kind of free market wild west has existed in our capital markets and in our hospitals. We know Medicare is unsustainable but we pretend that it will work on a grander scale. Ignorance is bliss, and we deserve the worst case for our stupidity.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Let's see... socialized medicine has slashed costs in Germany, Japan, Switzerland, France, Canada, and the UK, right off hand. Why the hell should we pay middle-men paper-pushers in the insurance industry for the right to be forced into a system that charges us 20% more per capita than any other nation in the world?

Ah yes, "costs" are slashed due to care being withheld. This isn't rocket science. And if eliminating "middle-men paper-pushers" is such a great solution to the costs of products and services we rely on to live our lives, why stop with the health care industry? A sucker is born every minute in the good ol' US of A.

baseline bum
10-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Ah yes, "costs" are slashed due to care being withheld. This isn't rocket science. And if eliminating "middle-men paper-pushers" is such a great solution to the costs of products and services we rely on to live our lives, why stop with the health care industry? A sucker is born every minute in the good ol' US of A.

LMAO @ the thought that rationed care is what slashes costs when we pay by far the most in the world for a system that rations and denies coverage at a ridiculous rate. Conservatives can't be serious when they go to this argument when it's blatant that our system goes out of its way to not live up to its end of the deal when people buy insurance.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 10:53 PM
A man on the moon, the interstate highway system, the internet, winning the Cold War, the Hubble telescope, winning WWII, the space program responsible for all our satellite communications, and sending a rover to Mars all come to mind as impressive things our government has done. At least the government has to be somewhat accountable to us, or risk being voted out of office.

Naturally the history of large scale public projects means that it will work on the micro scale, in an (allegedly) free society.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 10:55 PM
LMAO @ the thought that rationed care is what slashes costs when we pay by far the most in the world for a system that rations and denies coverage at a ridiculous rate. Conservatives can't be serious when they go to this argument when it's blatant that our system goes out of its way to not live up to its end of the deal when people buy insurance.

LMAO at you not understanding that. You cannot be serious if you don't grasp that obvious truth. Yeah, the system is shit thanks to the efforts already in place by governments in this land to 'improve access', 'cover more', 'control costs', and all the other bullshit end of the rainbow promises that politicians have made over the years.

MannyIsGod
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
LMAO at you not understanding that. You cannot be serious if you don't grasp that obvious truth. Yeah, the system is shit thanks to the efforts already in place by governments in this land to 'improve access', 'cover more', 'control costs', and all the other bullshit end of the rainbow promises that politicians have made over the years.

I'd like to see something that backs up this point of view.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Posted in the other thread.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
What other markets for products and services which we depend on daily to live our lives should be controlled by the federal government? Show me success. Other than the state being able to annihilate another state's military.

hope4dopes
10-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I've seen little to noting that leads me to believe the motive of the goverment is to serve the people.Mostly I've seen a massive bureaucracy staffed by people to incompetent or to lazy to find euqally high paying jobs in the public sector.
A managerial staff hiding behind layers of smoke and mirrors, to avoid responsibility and accountability. people whose only driving force is covering their asses and accquiring sufficent knowledge to milk the system even more than they already are. A bureaucracy whose only purposes are to perpetuate themselves and convince the people of their absolute need for the bureaucracy by spreading lies and fear.
The state is not in the least bit interested in providing a service to the people. it is interested in furthering itself, it doesn't listen to, nor gives any credence to any other alternative than total state control.Nor does it allow for any other criminal to feed from the trough, it demands the whole banquet for itself alone,and it demands the people provide the banquet.

Cry Havoc
10-27-2009, 12:51 AM

Do you realize that the term, "medical bankruptcy" is a phrase that has no place or usage ANYWHERE else in the world?

Think about that for a minute. Someone who has to sell off essentially everything they own to pay for their own health care. This is not something that exists in any modernized country aside from the U.S. Other countries have made it work, and it works far better than our system. Doctors still make money. The world still turns. The medical system didn't collapse overnight because they said, "Hey, maybe poor(er) people should be able to afford to see a doctor every now and then."