PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys re-sign Ware

mardigan
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Linebacker led NFL in sacks last season
By Calvin Watkins
ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys are planning a late afternoon news conference Monday to announce the signing of outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware to a six-year extension totaling close to $80 million, according to a source.

The deal is worth close to $13 million per season, with about $40 million guaranteed.

It's one of the richest contracts in league history for a defensive player.

Redskins nose tackle Albert Haynesworth has the richest deal for a defensive player. He signed a seven-year, $100 million deal with $41 million guaranteed this offseason. Vikings defensive end Jared Allen signed a six-year $74.5 million deal two years ago with $34 million guaranteed. Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs signed a six-year $62.5 million contract this summer with about $38.1 million guaranteed.

Ware and his agent, Pat Dye, who did not return a call seeking comment, have been seeking a huge money contract from the Cowboys. Ware wanted to finish his career in Dallas and didn't want to be given the franchise tag, which would have prevented him from being an unrestricted free agent. He said it would bother him if the club had done so.

Now, with Ware in the fold long-term, the Cowboys don't have to worry about have him upset over his contract.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said last week he was hopeful of getting an extension completed soon for Ware, the 11th overall pick in the 2005 draft who is in the final year of the contract he signed then. There have been talks about a deal for several months.

"I've been lucky to be around a lot of good ones," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said Monday regarding some of the top pass rushers he's been around. "He's at the top of the class, and it doesn't take long to call the roll. You know that statement. He's very special that way. But he's an all around player, and he plays the run well too. That's what you really like about him."

Since 2005, Ware has compiled 57½ sacks, the most by any linebacker. He had 20 sacks last season.

Ware is the fourth player in Cowboys history with three consecutive 10-sack seasons. The last Dallas player with more than Ware in a single season was Hall of Fame defensive tackle Randy White with 16 in 1978.

There was also Ware's NFL record-matching streak of 10 consecutive games with a sack (2007-08), the longest in the NFL in 15 years -- though it is not recognized as a Cowboys record. Harvey Martin had sacks in 11 consecutive games from 1976-77 before the NFL considered sacks an official stat.

Ware is among only six players to have 20 sacks in a seasons since sacks became an official stat in 1982.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4596650

Good job Jurry.

Evil Angel
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
About time this deal got done.

slick'81
10-26-2009, 03:00 PM
yeah he didnt need this hanging over his head all season way to go WARE~~!!

Spursfan092120
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6016248/2/istockphoto_6016248-whew.jpg

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
good news

Whisky Dog
10-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Lower than I was thinking - Haynesworth abomination made me think it was a 100 mil deal coming for Ware.

SpuronyourFace
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Lower than I was thinking - Haynesworth abomination made me think it was a 100 mil deal coming for Ware.

Yup, Thank God Jerry has a quite a bit more sense than Snyder.

BlackSwordsMan
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
nigga got paid

EricB
10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
6 years?

Who are they kidding....

SpuronyourFace
10-26-2009, 08:08 PM
6 years?

Who are they kidding....

What do you mean?

EricB
10-26-2009, 08:11 PM
What do you mean?
5 at MOST.

NFL long term contracts are like monopoly money contracts

SpuronyourFace
10-26-2009, 08:17 PM
5 at MOST.

NFL long term contracts are like monopoly money contracts

No, he deserves to be paid. He'll just be 33 at the end of the contract which is perfect. The guy keeps in really good shape and should play well for all 6 of those years. If you give him a 5 year contract, he'll be looking for another big payday right after turning 31. But at the end of 6 years, that second payday wont be nearly as big.

Its smart business. Thats why you never see 3 or 4 year contracts for dominating players in their 20s.

IronMexican
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
He's not going to play all 6 years with the same contract. By the time he's 31, the Cowboys will tell him, "You know, you're making X amount of dollars and only giving Y amount of production". You can restructure or get cut.

Spursfan092120
10-26-2009, 09:12 PM
He's not going to play all 6 years with the same contract. By the time he's 31, the Cowboys will tell him, "You know, you're making X amount of dollars and only giving Y amount of production". You can restructure or get cut.
Unless he's a ballplayer, like I think he is...and earns his money. Dude has the potential to be the best in the league at his position..he's worth the money.

Vinnie_Johnson
10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
That is a good deal for a player as good as Ware is.

DBryant88
10-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Ware is not only a great player, but he also has a positive presence in the locker room and he is the heart and soul of that defense
It was well worth it

Dr. Gonzo
10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Unless he's a ballplayer, like I think he is...and earns his money. Dude has the potential to be the best in the league at his position..he's worth the money.

Potential to be? He may already be best in the league.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Potential to be? He may already be best in the league.

This. I used to think James Harrison was better, but when I watched a few Steelers games this year, James Harrison is a product of Pittsburg's system. Ware is just a beast by himself.

Whisky Dog
10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I gotta give Jerry credit for the negotiation - as bad as he is running anything football related he's great when it comes to negotiations and business. He stalled and stalled and took the gamble that at some point this season a time would arise to press and get the deal done. Two things happened - Ware starts the season slow then fractures his foot - and that was the barganing position Jerry needed to keep the deal to $80 mil. After the fracture you know it was weighing on Ware's mind that he's on a small crap deal and leaving $40 mil guaranteed on the table every day he doesn't sign. And every day is a risk he has serious injury and loses everything.

EricB
10-27-2009, 02:28 PM
I gotta give Jerry credit for the negotiation - as bad as he is running anything football related he's great when it comes to negotiations and business. He stalled and stalled and took the gamble that at some point this season a time would arise to press and get the deal done. Two things happened - Ware starts the season slow then fractures his foot - and that was the barganing position Jerry needed to keep the deal to $80 mil. After the fracture you know it was weighing on Ware's mind that he's on a small crap deal and leaving $40 mil guaranteed on the table every day he doesn't sign. And every day is a risk he has serious injury and loses everything.

Jerry Jones I bet plays craps like a damn addict in Vegas in the offseason.

This time it came up 7.

Times like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells it came up snake eyes.