PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Mavs (A Reality Check)

MarHill
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I've been away for the summer and now that season starts tomorrow....I'm ready to go and excited for the possibilities of another Spurs Championship in San Antonio.

Also, when you wife gives birth to your first child in August...I have not been getting much sleep. :lol

Now, on the business at hand for this thread. I have read in the last couple days from some Spurs fans about the Mavs and our rivalry.

I can understand that the Mavs fans think they own the Spurs. It's expected from their fans...even if they are delusional.

But, I have read from Spurs fans who have started to believe it as well. I guess the old adage, if you tell a lie often enough it can become the truth.

Well....where I come from a lie is still a lie even if everyone believes it. And the truth is the truth even if not one believes it.

So I decided to dispell the myth that the Mavs own the Spurs. Facts are facts...even if both teams' fans wanted to see from their perspective teams colored glasses.

Now, I decided to go back from 2002-2003 regular season until last season. Very interesting stuff.

1) 2002-2003 (Regular Season series tied at 2-2)
Spurs won the division

2) 2003-2004 (Mavs won the series 3-1)
Neither team won the division

3) 2004-2005 (Spurs won the series 3-1)
Spurs won the division

4) 2005-2006 (Regular Season Series tied at 2-2)
Spurs won the division

5) 2006-2007 (Mavs won the series 3-1)
Mavs won the division

6) 2007-2008 (Spurs won the series 3-1)
Neither won the division. Spurs tied with Hornets for the 1st but lost the tiebreaker

7) 2008-2009 (Regular Season Series tied 2-2)
Spurs won the division

They had 4 playoff matchups...both teams winning 2 times (Mavs have won the most recent matchups.)

Both teams have won the season series twice and the season series has been tied three teams.

The difference Spurs have 4 of the 7 division titles (and lost another on the tiebreaker and the Mavs have won 1 of 7 division titles in that time period.

The Spurs have 3 titles in seven years and the Mavs got one look at it and didn't cash in.

What does this means?

That neither team owns the other. It has been one of most competitive rivalries in the NBA in the last 10 years.

The Mavs are a very good team....but the Spurs have been an excellent team and one step above them over the past decade.

But....please both sides don't say one team owns the other. When the facts bear otherwise.

I know....don't let facts get in the way of a good story!:toast

:flag:

DPG21920
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, we live in the now and the Mavs have owned the Spurs for what ever reasons you want to give.

bugoy
10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
its natural that in a rivalry, each team thinks they own the other, thats what rivalries are

Parker2112
10-26-2009, 10:41 PM
"both teams winning 2 times (Mavs have won the most recent matchups.)"

I dont think there is anything wrong with believing we have something to prove, and I think if you ask our guys they will say the same. Playing with a chip is healthy...ask DB about that.

SKINNYPIMP210
10-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I would give the Spurs the edge because of the ships'

But I think this year it's all us. The Mavs will with one game against us I think. Maybe the first match up of the season.

Parker2112
10-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Overall, no question we own their asses. But they have been put together to beat us, and in our previous incarnation they seem to have crossed that threshold. They have been a bad match for us in the playoffs. I think that has changed, but the proof is in the pudding. Lets do this shit.

draft87
10-27-2009, 02:26 AM
I've been away for the summer and now that season starts tomorrow....I'm ready to go and excited for the possibilities of another Spurs Championship in San Antonio.

Also, when you wife gives birth to your first child in August...I have not been getting much sleep. :lol

Now, on the business at hand for this thread. I have read in the last couple days from some Spurs fans about the Mavs and our rivalry.

I can understand that the Mavs fans think they own the Spurs. It's expected from their fans...even if they are delusional.

But, I have read from Spurs fans who have started to believe it as well. I guess the old adage, if you tell a lie often enough it can become the truth.

Well....where I come from a lie is still a lie even if everyone believes it. And the truth is the truth even if not one believes it.

So I decided to dispell the myth that the Mavs own the Spurs. Facts are facts...even if both teams' fans wanted to see from their perspective teams colored glasses.

Now, I decided to go back from 2002-2003 regular season until last season. Very interesting stuff.

1) 2002-2003 (Regular Season series tied at 2-2)
Spurs won the division

2) 2003-2004 (Mavs won the series 3-1)
Neither team won the division

3) 2004-2005 (Spurs won the series 3-1)
Spurs won the division

4) 2005-2006 (Regular Season Series tied at 2-2)
Spurs won the division

5) 2006-2007 (Mavs won the series 3-1)
Mavs won the division

6) 2007-2008 (Spurs won the series 3-1)
Neither won the division. Spurs tied with Hornets for the 1st but lost the tiebreaker

7) 2008-2009 (Regular Season Series tied 2-2)
Spurs won the division

They had 4 playoff matchups...both teams winning 2 times (Mavs have won the most recent matchups.)

Both teams have won the season series twice and the season series has been tied three teams.

The difference Spurs have 4 of the 7 division titles (and lost another on the tiebreaker and the Mavs have won 1 of 7 division titles in that time period.

The Spurs have 3 titles in seven years and the Mavs got one look at it and didn't cash in.

What does this means?

That neither team owns the other. It has been one of most competitive rivalries in the NBA in the last 10 years.

The Mavs are a very good team....but the Spurs have been an excellent team and one step above them over the past decade.

But....please both sides don't say one team owns the other. When the facts bear otherwise.

I know....don't let facts get in the way of a good story!:toast

:flag:

"both teams winning 2 times (Mavs have won the most recent matchups.)"

I dont think there is anything wrong with believing we have something to prove, and I think if you ask our guys they will say the same. Playing with a chip is healthy...ask DB about that.

I'd like to back up parker2112. and I think if you asked Popovich, Buford, Duncan, Parker(Tony), Manu, Finley, any vet they would say the same thing. What's the point trying to come up with a formula for an opinion when all that matters is "The Next Game"?

What Popovich says about "Appropriate Fear" is totally relevant to this rivalry. All that should matter is that our last game of last season was a loss and elimination at the hands of the Mavs. And even though we won the 2007 title while the Mavs were embarrassed by the Warriors we still haven't avenged the 2006 2nd round. We should embrace the criticism and the lame Cubanesque Maverick "fan" comments about sucking and let it fuel the anticipation of an amazing 2010 season that should hopefully include some convincing wins over Dallas. I know that's what the players and coaches are doing. If and when we beat the Mavericks this season and maybe(hopefully) in the postseason we can give a healthy "Fuck You" and immediately move on to the next game, series, title, season.

Bottom line-WHO CARES? Answer-Lakers 'fans', Mavericks fans, idiots, etc.

besides, I'm not sure anyone has ever made a convincing argument about someone 'owning' someone. EVER. The facts used are either incomplete, irrelevant, or simply wrong. For example-since when does the regular season mean more than the postseason? Spurs were #1 in 2006 but Mavericks went to Finals and Heat were the champs. Looking at that season alone certainly does not say that the Spurs own. 2007- Mavericks were best in the NBA but were humiliated by the Warriors and the Spurs were the champs. Spurs clearly were the lesser team during the regular season but they were the fucking champs so no one can say the Mavericks were the better team. Not since 2003 were the Spurs the #1 team in NBA when winning the title. And Spurs fans try to hide that year they were TIED with the Mavericks in the wins column.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Mavericks just as much if not more than the next Spurs fan but
1) I respect their talent and don't deny that we've had some bad losses to them in recent years. Last time we beat them in the postseason Dirk was injured.

2) Nothing matters more than beating the Mavericks this year and reminding them that we have FOUR FUCKING TITLES

3) It'll never happen but it'd be great to beat the Mavs in the postseason and when the confetti flies TP throws the ball in excitement but accidentally hits Ericka Dampier in the face right before Finley runs up to "Jet" and supplies a healthy dick-punch(can you imagine him saying "Fuck you, man" while doing it? if only....). oh and instead of a bucket of Gatorade someone fills the tank with River water and dumps it on Cuban.

Allanon
10-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Nothing wrong with admitting another team owns you. The Bobcats own the Lakers...there I said it.

Payback is "funner" after 4-1.

mystargtr34
10-27-2009, 03:27 AM
The only time the Mavs owned the Spurs was last years's 4-1 playoffs, but that was without Manu - so im not sure it counts.

Apart from that, its been pretty even.

dirk4mvp
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
The only time the Mavs owned the Spurs was last years's 4-1 playoffs, but that was without Manu - so im not sure it counts.

Apart from that, its been pretty even.

Game 7 on the Spurs court = owned.

And the Mavs were banged up last year too, so we all can play the injury card.

Dex
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Mavs just 'own' the Spurs right now because they have won the last two playoff matchups. After 06 and now 09, it's hard to say they don't have the momentum in the rivalry. However, one series win can easily shift that, and once they don't have the momentum going for them anymore, Mav Fan doesn't have much left to cling to.

Personally, I'm hoping for a rematch. :smokin

Spursmania
10-27-2009, 10:30 AM
All I care about is the Championships. And, rivalries are good. I think paybacks are even greater. I can't wait to play the little ponies this year.:lol

Spursmania
10-27-2009, 10:31 AM
By the way, congrats Marhill on the birth of your child and welcome back:toast

dirk4mvp
10-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Manu committing one of the dumbest fouls in playoffs history and then Duncan hacked before time expired on a wide-open putback attempt with no call. Yeah, owned.

Committing one of the dumbest fouls in nba history fits the definition of owned to a t, dumbass.

Parker2112
10-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Committing one of the dumbest fouls in nba history fits the definition of owned to a t, dumbass.

This wayward dickhead mav's fan has a small point...and I'm talking about more than his genitals.

Regardless whether we had the game in our hand's, they ran away with the "W." In fact, those hurt worse...just ask manu.

dirk4mvp
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
What kind of faggot talks about other dude's genitals.

HORNSWOGGLE
10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
lol mavs

dirk4mvp
10-27-2009, 12:52 PM
:cry :cry

He probably shouldn't have missed 2 point blank layups with future hall of famer Desanga Diop holding him

Samr
10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Marion + Gooden + Boubous-whatever - Bass < Jefferson + Blair + McDyess - Bowen/KT

Spurs won that battle fair and square.

Findog
10-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Now, I decided to go back from 2002-2003 regular season...

Hey, guess what! The Spurs use to own the Mavs when they started David Robinson at C and the Mavs started Darren Morningstar. It's 2009.

UnWantedTheory
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Cool facts n all.....I swear some of the Spurs fans trying to stay "realistic" are just as irritating as the bitchy Mavs fans. Who fucking cares who has owned who? We own four trophies and they dont own one. That is what matters.

quentin_compson
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't think that last season's playoff loss against the Mavs was a big thing for the Spurs or their fans. Granted, it sucked, but we weren't going very far without Manu anyways.

MarHill
10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Hey, guess what! The Spurs use to own the Mavs when they started David Robinson at C and the Mavs started Darren Morningstar. It's 2009.

Hey....it's something called perspective!!

I know we live in an instant gratification society......but you need to look at something it's entirety......not just the latest thing that happened.

:bang

MarHill
10-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Cool facts n all.....I swear some of the Spurs fans trying to stay "realistic" are just as irritating as the bitchy Mavs fans. Who fucking cares who has owned who? We own four trophies and they dont own one. That is what matters.

That is a problem for me....it's okay to be a realistic fan!!

Fans don't have to be a fanatic all the time...especially when the truth is plain to see.

:toast

MarHill
10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Nothing wrong with admitting another team owns you. The Bobcats own the Lakers...there I said it.

Payback is "funner" after 4-1.

Allanon,

That record against the Lakers still bothers me.....especially since the Lakers didn't play the Spurs between 2005-2007 in the playoffs.

I believe that would have even the record a bit.

It is what it is...though

I look forward to it being 2-4 this year!!! :flag:

Allanon
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Allanon,

That record against the Lakers still bothers me.....especially since the Lakers didn't play the Spurs between 2005-2007 in the playoffs.

I believe that would have even the record a bit.

It is what it is...though

I look forward to it being 2-4 this year!!! :flag:

I was actually referring to Mavs 4, Spurs 1. The Lakers/Spurs haven't fought in meaningful games for so long, I don't remember any more. Payback will be all the more fun if you guys can return the favor this year.

I don't care how everybody calls you a blind, stupid, homer, Marhill, you give a a fair shake on things. Congrats on the new baby, I wouldn't know but I'd imagine you've become a coffee fiend these last few months :lol

MarHill
10-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I was actually referring to Mavs 4, Spurs 1. The Lakers/Spurs haven't fought in meaningful games for so long, I don't remember any more. Payback will be all the more fun if you guys can return the favor this year.

I don't care how everybody calls you a blind, stupid, homer, Marhill, you give a a fair shake on things. Congrats on the new baby, I wouldn't know but I'd imagine you've become a coffee fiend these last few months :lol

Thanks Allanon!!

I don't even like coffee..... however an Izze Blackberry Juice or a glass of wine is my preferred drink. :lol That has kept me sane....while my daughter is still learning how to sleep through the night.

I have learned over the years as a fan....especially of team like the Spurs to be fair as possible.

A lot of people don't like that....but fandom is like politics in that aspect. Everybody wants you to take a side and declare the other side the enemy.

But the problem comes when the other side has good ideas or the truth.....your side overlooks it and that bothers me.

Right is right and truth is the truth....no matter where is comes from.

Okay...I'm off my soapbox. :lol

I enjoy sparring with you and Lakaluva and even Dr. House. I never mind a good honest debate about our favorite teams. :toast

peskypesky
10-27-2009, 03:57 PM
The Bucks own the Spurs. So what?

NFGIII
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Game 7 on the Spurs court = owned.

And the Mavs were banged up last year too, so we all can play the injury card.

That series was full of pathetic calls by the refs. Games 3 & 4 - the Duncan and Bowen fouls were absolutely terrible. Especially the one on Bowen against Dirk late in the 4th Q. Dirk initiated all the contact and Bowen just stood there with his arms straight up. But Dirk got the call and that's all that matters. He was having his MVP year and players in that type of year get those calls. Hey, I've seen TD get them, also. But there were some other very questionable ones agianst the Mavs, too. So it wasn't so one sided IMHO. Even though I still believe that the calls against the Spurs had a dispropotional impact of the outcome of the series.

Manu committing one of the dumbest fouls in playoffs history and then Duncan hacked before time expired on a wide-open putback attempt with no call. Yeah, owned.

Manu leaves Dirk alone - game over Spurs win. That's all there is to it. We go on to beat the Heat - I believe that there was no way that they could have beaten the Spurs n '06 - and '07 is the 3-peat.

But it wasn't to be. :depressed

Even so, Duncan should have been at the line. If you can call a foul on Manu in the closing seconds, you can definitely send the Spurs best player to the line when a blatant foul occurs. Especially at home.

The foul agianst TD hardly ever gets called in games much less a playoff one. Duncan should have made the shot but in all fairness it was a foul none the less. So I understand your point but sometimes we don't always get what we want. :bang