PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs notebook: Popovich trims beard, lengthens practice time

duncan228
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Spurs notebook: Popovich trims beard, lengthens practice time (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_notebook_Popovich_trims_beard_lengthens_prac tice_time.html)
Mike Monroe

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich threw a couple of changes at his club Monday, starting practice at 4p.m. and showing up clean-shaven after sporting a full beard for more than a year.

It was the first afternoon practice any of the Spurs could recall, but Popovich shrugged off any significance, other than changing the routine a bit as the regular-season opener approaches.

“Probably for most of the guys, it is different, but I like it,” said Manu Ginobili, who explained that most practice sessions during his seven pro seasons in Argentina and Europe were held in the afternoon. “Actually, I think I'm more awake, so I get a better workout.”

Monday's session lasted three hours. By unofficial timing, it was the longest single session since training camp began Sept. 29.

“We had some film and some discussion along with getting out on the court and trying to finalize some things,” Popovich said. “You get down to game time, and there are about 97 things you know you didn't do, but you can't get them all in there. You try to pick the ones you want to get in for the beginning of the season.”

When it came to Popovich's decision to shave off his beard, Spurs players said they were surprised to see the new-old look.

“We didn't know,” said point guard Tony Parker. “It was a surprise.”

“He looks a little weird without it,” said Ginobili, who started training camp clean-shaven but hasn't shaved since. “Me, I let mine grow for a month, then shave it, then let it go again.

“It's not about style for me. I'm just lazy.”

Blair back: DeJuan Blair, the rookie from Pittsburgh who was the Spurs' No. 2 scorer in seven preseason games, was back on the court for the entire practice after sitting out Sunday's workout to heal a bruised tailbone.

Blair suffered the injury in Friday's preseason finale against the Pacers in Bloomington, Ind.

Roster set: The Spurs were one of 18 teams to keep the maximum 15 players on their opening-night rosters.

Teams also were required to send the league projected inactive lists for opening night, with the Spurs listing guard Malik Hairston, forward Marcus Haislip and forward-center Ian Mahinmi.

TIMMYD!
10-26-2009, 11:14 PM
:tu

EricB
10-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Teams also were required to send the league projected inactive lists for opening night, with the Spurs listing guard Malik Hairston, forward Marcus Haislip and forward-center Ian Mahinmi.

Hmm.

That, barring injury, will most likely stay that way all year IMO.

Riverwalkman
10-26-2009, 11:48 PM
“It's not about style for me. I'm just lazy.”
:lol

completely deck
10-26-2009, 11:59 PM
It was the first afternoon practice any of the Spurs could recall, but Popovich shrugged off any significance, other than changing the routine a bit as the regular-season opener approaches.

:stirpot:

Something's brewing up there in Pop's brain. He's a military man, he's not one to be comfortable changing schedule and routine. I know from experience with my father.

pawe
10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
:stirpot:

Something's brewing up there in Pop's brain. He's a military man, he's not one to be comfortable changing schedule and routine. I know from experience with my father.

Championship stew.

Spursmania
10-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Championship stew.

Winner!:lol

wildbill2u
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
"Teams also were required to send the league projected inactive lists for opening night, with the Spurs listing guard Malik Hairston, forward Marcus Haislip and forward-center Ian Mahinmi."

Who would be the alternate inactives if these guys are activated for a game or two--Bogans? Ratliff? Mr. XXX???(someone with a real injury)

Game Minutes are gonna be damn hard to come by for these three development guys.

Drom John
10-27-2009, 01:58 PM
"Who would be the alternate inactives if these guys are activated for a game or two.

Duncan and McDyess and maybe Ginobli for one game of back to backs.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
I suspect that the inactive list will be a bit more of a revolving door -- particularly early in the season -- than many think. I don't suspect that the Spurs are retaining Malik Hairston into the regular season to evaluate during the evaporating practice time of a regular season schedule and I don't think that Haislip or Mahinmi are going to just wither away in suits, either. Pop has made clear -- I think -- that he intends to use this roster and to use its depth in a manner that will keep down the minutes of his front-line guys. My guess would be that in certain situations in which blowout wins are likely (say the looming home game with Sacramento) the younger guys will be active -- in whole or in part -- if only because the opportunity for minutes is likely to be there. In back-to-backs, I'd expect the young legs to get a chance too.

And I'd hazard a guess that there are players on this roster who are still being evaluated -- evaluated for allocating minutes, evaluated for long-term retention, and evaluated as trade bait.

Pop's got a lot of considerations to balance, but I don't think he can really do it by keeping the same guys inactive night after night.