PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Thanks to work on defense, Hairston sticking with Spurs

duncan228
10-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks to work on defense, Hairston sticking with Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Thanks_to_work_on_defense_Hairston_sticking_with_S purs.html)
Mike Monroe

With a roster filled with guaranteed contracts and a payroll already bulging well beyond the NBA's luxury tax threshold, there was only one way for a player with a non-guaranteed deal to secure a place on the Spurs' roster.

“Someone is going to have to play so well we'd be crazy not to keep him,” Gregg Popovich said a few weeks ago.

Malik Hairston's presence on the official opening-night roster the Spurs submitted to the NBA office Monday is proof the coaching staff hasn't lost its collective mind.

The 6-foot-6 guard-forward from Oregon made no effort to suppress a wide smile as he met the media after Monday's practice session.

“How do I feel?” Hairston responded to the first question from reporters. “I'm sure you can answer that one yourself.

“I'm doing great.”

Acquired by the Spurs on draft night last year in a swap of second-round picks with the Phoenix Suns, Hairston used his first season in the organization — he appeared in 16 Spurs games, but spent most of the season with Austin in the Development League — as a learning experience.

More than anything, he learned that the most certain path to a spot on the Spurs roster begins, and sometimes ends, on defense.

“I focused on defense and let everything else come to me,” he said. “I understand that the Spurs are very defensive-minded. I knew that would be my angle to make this basketball team.

“This is a team of hall of famers and great scorers. My time will come to show some offensive things and some intangibles, but for now I just focused on defense.”

While he appreciated Hairston's focus on defense, Popovich said Hairston earned his spot with solid play at both ends of the court.

“Obviously, we think Malik Hairston did a great job in training camp,” Popovich said. “At both ends of the floor, he earned a spot on this team.”

Hairston played in all seven preseason games, shooting 55.2 percent from the field and averaging 6.6 points, 2.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists in an average of 15.3 minutes. Long hours spent honing his shooting stroke were reflected in willingness to take open shots.

“He's really improving his mid-range shooting, and he's attacking the rim,” said Manu Ginobili, who sees in Hairston a player with similar skills to his own. “So he's becoming a really complete player, and his athletic abilities are unbelievable. We need players like that.”

Hairston and Marcus Williams, the Spurs' 2007 second-rounder who also played most of the 2008-09 season in Austin, waged a close fight through preseason for the potential final roster spot.

When Williams was waived Sunday, Hairston tried hard not to get too far ahead of himself.

Many of his teammates were as anxious as Hairston to learn his fate.

“I was getting text (messages) last night,” he said. “‘Have you heard any news?' That feels even better than how excited I am.”

Ginobili was one of the players most happy to find Hairston had made it.

“He's been great,” said Ginobili, “and last season, too. Even though he didn't play much, and he was in and out, he showed great work ethic and respect for teammates. He's a good kid, too.”

Hairston understands he is apt to spend many games in a seat behind the bench.

Most likely, that is where he will be on Wednesday night, when the regular season begins with a game against the New Orleans Hornets at the AT&T Center.

“Whether I'm dressed out, or in a sport coat, just to be a part of this is exciting,” he said.

Blackjack
10-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Excuse me for a second...

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Now I'm done.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Manu is happy about it..Tony mentioned Hairston's name a few weeks ago..getting texts from other players..the obvious chemistry that has been shown on the floor between Hairston, Hill, and Blair during SL and preseason..

Everybody knows he can play, and he'll get his shot IMO..

EricB
10-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Good article.

Has a tone of that he is gonna be sticking around for a while.

spectator
10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
i think hairston has shown superior one-on-one defense and athleticism to finley and has been shooting very well recently(SL + pre); still, pop will use finley as main backup SF; i just hope hairston plays enough minutes to improve his game and become our main backup SF next year

My Fault
10-26-2009, 11:53 PM
i think hairston has shown superior one-on-one defense and athleticism to finley and has been shooting very well recently(SL + pre); still, pop will use finley as main backup SF; i just hope hairston plays enough minutes to improve his game and become our main backup SF next year
While that may be true, the Spurs are trying to win a championship this year. While I like Hairston and the promise he shows. When comes to knowing how to win it has go to Finley as he's been there done that. Finley is going be out there to provide leadership and hit open shots. While he may be old, he can still bring that to the table. This year is going to be a great learning experience for Hairston and I have no doubt that next year he see a big increase in minutes. This year minute wise not so much.

The Truth #6
10-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Great news. It's cool to see his hard work payed off and the excitement of his teammates. I'd like to see him get time on the second unit with Blair, Manu, and Hill. That could be an incredible fast breaking unit, with Blair cleaning the glass.

Of course its possible things don't work out later (anyone remember the press conference and jersey unveiling for Jack McClinton?) but I agree that the tone of the article is such that he really has made the team. And if so, then props to Holt for investing in Hairston and the future.

Now, unfortunately, let's get ready for him not to play for awhile.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I really don't think this year is going to be what we usually expect here..

I expect a lot of veteran players sitting out and not getting the usual minutes..I expect Pop to occasionally sit out Timmy and Manu, even Ratliff and Finley at times..maybe even Dice..I think Hairston will get a legit shot at earning minutes(he's better than a few players on the team already, so he'll make it IMO), and I also expect Ian and Haislip to get their chances as well..

everybody will have a chance..if Hairston wasn't going to get a chance to earn minutes, there's no reason to pay for him + doubling it up for the luxury tax..

Blackjack
10-27-2009, 12:09 AM
I tend to agree with Harlem.

There'll be ample opportunity for the end-of-bench guys to get some run on the second night of a back-to-back, a veteran rest day, or in the event of a blow-out. And if those players can excel in the time they're given, they'll have the potential to earn minutes and trust as the season unfolds; particularly in the case of Hairston, with the 'stopper' role anything but filled or known.

Danny.Zhu
10-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I think our offense power is enough already. What we do need right now is defense. Glad to see Malik contribute on that end.

SenorSpur
10-27-2009, 12:39 AM
I tend to agree with Harlem.

There'll be ample opportunity for the end-of-bench guys to get some run on the second night of a back-to-back, a veteran rest day, or in the event of a blow-out. And if those players can excel in the time they're given, they'll have the potential to earn minutes and trust as the season unfolds; particularly in the case of Hairston, with the 'stopper' role anything but filled or known.

:tu

Using those end-of-bench players on the backend of B2B games and during the RRT, will go a long way toward preserving the health of the core players.

Big ups to Hairston working hard to improve his game, and to the FO for making this decision. Malik deserves this opportunity and I'm glad he was rewarded.

Manufan909
10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Great news. It's cool to see his hard work payed off and the excitement of his teammates. I'd like to see him get time on the second unit with Blair, Manu, and Hill. That could be an incredible fast breaking unit, with Blair cleaning the glass.

Of course its possible things don't work out later (anyone remember the press conference and jersey unveiling for Jack McClinton?) but I agree that the tone of the article is such that he really has made the team. And if so, then props to Holt for investing in Hairston and the future.

Now, unfortunately, let's get ready for him not to play for awhile.

For the first game, definitely. Hopefully he earns the 12th or higher spot on the few occasions he is actually dressed.

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2009, 12:48 AM
The thing going for Hairston is that he DOES fill a need..Manu and RJ are stars that have different roles than role players..Mason and Finley are the same player, they don't give us anything different..Bogans gives us a defensive presence, but he makes it 5 on 4..Hairston is the only role player on the team that has the tools that he does to fill a need..

timtonymanu
10-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Congrats Malik! I hope he can contribute.

I've been rooting for him along even last year when it was down to Hairston and Farmer.

Manufan909
10-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Last year should have been Hairston and Gist, wonder what Gist could have done with all the free big minutes last season.

xellos88330
10-27-2009, 01:13 AM
I hope Malik does well for the Spurs. Saw some things that I liked in his game. He works really well with Blair.

AussieFanKurt
10-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Fuck yessssss
... to say the least

Quiet Strength
10-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Congrats to malik! I hope he is able to earn decent playing time.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm really really happy for the Spurs and for Hairston. It really says something about the depth the team has when you think almost everyone on the 15 man roster has a chance to play his way into the rotation.

Man In Black
10-27-2009, 02:43 AM
I hope he sticks.
If he doesn't, it wouldn't be the 1st time that the Spurs had a player who was really good but because of personnel, could never get any time on the court.

Then Larry Brown called Pop because he needed a defender with some moxie and that year, Raja Bell became a starter in the NBA finals for the Sixers.

Manufan909
10-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Then Larry Brown called Pop because he needed a defender with some moxie and that year, Raja Bell became a starter in the NBA finals for the Sixers.
:huh

raspsa
10-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Hairston should devote his energy toward becoming the preferred Bowen replacement. That will guarantee his future in the NBA.

benefactor
10-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Excuse me for a second...

Now I'm done.

benefactor
10-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Seriously though...of all the recent young prospects that the Spurs have looked at the past few seasons Hairston is the one I have been pulling for the most. His good size/athleticism and his ability to play SG or SF make him very valuable in our rotation. I just hope he takes advantage of the minutes he gets and works himself up the ladder rotation-wise.

ceperez
10-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Hairston is pretty good at taking the ball to the rim in traffic.

Unfortunately, I just don't see how he can differentiate our team from the other top teams.

We also got a guy like Bogans, who is identically physically.

Best upside I can think of is Devin Brown.

But that's okay, he's #13-#15 in the roster.

benefactor
10-27-2009, 07:00 AM
He's not there to differentiate our team from other teams...he is there to be a role player.

mountainballer
10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Seriously though...of all the recent young prospects that the Spurs have looked at the past few seasons Hairston is the one I have been pulling for the most. His good size/athleticism and his ability to play SG or SF make him very valuable in our rotation. I just hope he takes advantage of the minutes he gets and works himself up the ladder rotation-wise.

+1
about size I would disagree. his skill set would make him best at SF, but he just is 2-3'' to small for a legit SF. he compensates a lot with his athleticism, but unfortunately there are still several Sfs in the league, who are 6'7'' to 6'9'' AND bring the same level of athleticism.
however, he will be working hard on his ball handling and shooting, so maybe in some years he will become a regular rotation option for the 2. in defending the stronger 2s he should soon be pretty good. Raja Bell learned it over the years and so did Mo Evans. I see Hairston somewhere in between this two.

urunobili
10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Im SO happy for Hairston and the Spurs! Pop made the right choice :)

tmtcsc
10-27-2009, 09:02 AM
I think that if one wants to make this team, you just have to show that you can effectively get to the rim and finish. We have good outside shooters but lack people that can take the ball to the hoop consistently. That's what made Manu so great for us and hopefully Jefferson can do the same.

Dex
10-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Great news for Hairston. :tu I've seen him play in Austin a couple times and he was always impressive. Good to see his hard work paying off, and also interesting to watch an NBA player being built from the ground up. I don't expect him to get many minutes unless the injury bug strikes someone on the wing, but he'll be good insurance in that case.

wildbill2u
10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Manu is happy about it..Tony mentioned Hairston's name a few weeks ago..getting texts from other players..the obvious chemistry that has been shown on the floor between Hairston, Hill, and Blair during SL and preseason..

Everybody knows he can play, and he'll get his shot IMO..

It's important for a developing player like Hairston to have these vets in his corner rooting for him.

They'll help him with everything from how to behave on the road to tips on how to play certain players to giving up the ball to him to show their confidence.

dbestpro
10-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't see him spending too much time in a sports coat behind the Spurs bench. I do see him being the MVP of the Toros.

Bruno
10-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I think there is a good chance that Malik stays with Spurs for the year. With the Bogans addition, he won't play a lot with Spurs but should spend the year in Austin.

If Spurs needs to add a player (like a PG if Parker or Hill is injured), I can see them trading one of Mahinmi or Haislip to open a roster spot. Having both on the roster makes few sense.