PDA

View Full Version : barkley wants to be a gm

ducks
10-26-2009, 11:39 PM
would you want him as the spurs gm

EricB
10-26-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't want that nutjob within 1000 yards of the organization.

ducks
10-26-2009, 11:42 PM
well some thought the scola trade should have gotten a gm fired
sooooooo

spectator
10-26-2009, 11:44 PM
would you want him as the spurs gm

link?

ducks
10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suicide-lines-Charles-Barkley-wants-to-be-a-GM-;_ylt=AuGz5WFY45divXoUPftj3ym8vLYF?urn=nba,198071

duncan228
10-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Excerpts.

“It’s time for me to be a general manager,’’ said Barkley, who has been at TNT for eight years. “I think everybody around me knows it’s time for me to take a different challenge.

“I always want to keep going as a person. I love my job. I love the people I work with. But now it’s time for me to take on another challenge as a man. I need to grow as a person and it’s time for me.

“And certainly I can do a better job than some of these guys have been doing.’’

“If a good opportunity came up, I would take it,’’ said Barkley, who was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006. “I think people sometimes get confused with taking a job and taking a bad job. Every job is not a good job, but I think if a good job came up, I would take it. But I am not going to leave TNT for no bad job.’’

And there is no rule that says a flawed figure can’t put together a championship team.

“[Teams] are taking a chance on guys worse than me,’’ said Barkley. “First of all, I think my résumé is better than some of the other guys who have gotten jobs running NBA teams.

“I want my chance to fail, just like everybody else.’’

He is picking a Celtics-Lakers final.

“I think that would be great for the league, of course,’’ he said.

completely deck
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
No, Charles, it's NOT time for you to be a GM. Ever.

Blackjack
10-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Chuck needs to stick to 'Who he play for?' and the rest of his Inside the NBA bits.

I love the Chuckster, but a GM he ain't.

Riverwalkman
10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
And I want to be a Spur. Who's more realistic?

mazerrackham
10-27-2009, 12:08 AM
He can become Sacramento's GM, nobody cares about them anymore

EricB
10-27-2009, 12:19 AM
well some thought the scola trade should have gotten a gm fired
sooooooo

That same GM pulled off Richard Jefferson for peanuts, George Hill, and Antonio McDyess along with other great things.

Using the Chevy commercials, "Some are idiots"

hater
10-27-2009, 09:32 AM
brilliant thread

SenorSpur
10-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I'll take Barkley as my TNT analyst, golf partner, wingman, and bar-hopping drinking buddy any day of the week. I don't want him as my GM.

I know he's very well liked around the NBA and obviously very knowelegable on the the inner workings of the NBA. However, I don't think Barkley fully knows the full extent of the GM job responsibilities. Can anyone see him negotiating contracts or learning the complexities of the salary cap?

As a side note, one thing that could hurt Barkley is some of the recent legal and off-camera behavioral baggage that he's brought onto himself.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-27-2009, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't want anyone just making the jump from broadcaster to GM. In addition to inexperience Charles is a very outspoken man. That was part of his charm as a player and certainly on TNT but it could become a liability very fast for a GM, particularly since you know that every reporter would be shoving a mic in his face every other day looking for a soundbite. Pop just stares down reporters he finds annoying. Chuck might pitch them through a window.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Don't get me wrong, the SA front office is overrated, but at least there aren't any drunks in it... Holt excluded.

Which current FO is better in your opinion?

The Holt remark was unnecessary and of really bad taste, but nothing surprising there.

SenorSpur
10-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Don't get me wrong, the SA front office is overrated, but at least there aren't any drunks in it... Holt excluded.

:nope

Out of bounds.

elbamba
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I thought Charles was running for the Alabama governor's office

Bukefal
10-27-2009, 10:39 AM
:lol he should just stick to tv

lennyalderette
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
are u kidding? the spurs are great! if we had chuck as a GM we would be dealt to a pimp from las vegas, after a bad hand. chuck can barely read, much less manage an organization

anakha
10-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Which current FO is better in your opinion?

The Holt remark was unnecessary and of really bad taste, but nothing surprising there.

Out of bounds.

Just a classless 'fan' making classless posts. No surprises there.

panic giraffe
10-27-2009, 11:32 AM

Out of bounds.

have to agree...
especially the way he's attempting to reward TD for his years of selflessness by reaching into his pockets in a down economy to give the Stone Buddha the type of supporting cast he needs to get one more ring...

much respect to the man...

in other words, at least we're not stuck w/this...
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/09/mark-cuban5.jpg

Drom John
10-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Spurs? No!
But for my #2 Hawks? It could work.

G-Nob
10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
In order to be a GM, you need to be able to evaluate talent. The chuckster only knows how to critique in hindsight.

superbigtime
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Chuck is prime material for Clippers GM