PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to win all

nbaman99
10-27-2009, 12:30 PM
ESPN first take analyzed picked Spurs to win all over lakers just now. and there r going to debate more little later. Lakers with all the off the court drama they dont think lakers will repeat

Go Spurs

Baseline
10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

Who were the analysts who said this?

nbaman99
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
sorry i didnt catch his name, but keep watching if u can, because skip going to talk about it

celldweller
10-27-2009, 12:40 PM
It was Chris Mannix of S.I. I believe.

xtremesteven33
10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
SKip "M****F**N" Bayless!!!

duncan228
10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Western Conference preview (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/britt_robson/10/26/western.preview/)
Britt Robson
SI.com

San Antonio Spurs (second-best record in West)

First Take: The savvy get savvier. The best front office in the game executed the best trade and best draft value of the offseason, acquiring 29-year-old swingman Richard Jefferson, a perfect fit for their style and core personnel, for three fossils (average age: 36), then snagging rebounding fiend DeJuan Blair way down in the second round. Added to the league's most battle-tested trio of star teammates -- Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and a (hopefully) healthy Manu Ginobili -- the Spurs are younger, deeper and most likely better than last year's 54-win squad, perhaps the only assemblage in the conference that can compete with the Lakers even the reigning champions are firing on all cylinders.

Concerns: Ginobili's durability. ... Sorting out secondary minutes on a roster that could legitimately go a dozen deep.

Overrated: The vacuum-sealed bulwark of the Spurs' vaunted post defense has sprung leaks the past two years. Blair, free-agent signee Antonio McDyess and even the occasional insertion of shot-blocker Theo Ratliff against the bigger post players should ease the strain on Duncan (now a full-time center), but only partially remedy the problem.

Underrated: The Spurs' unselfishness is so seamless that it's part of the landscape. Suffice to say that four crunch-time studs will switch roles and share the ball without a quibble.

X-Factors: Can Parker reprise his counterpunch to his dribble penetration -- the surprising pull-up jumpers and the runners -- as effectively? ... How much rest does Duncan get before the playoffs begin?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137681

duncan228
10-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Writers' predictions for 2009-10 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/10/26/preseason.roundtable/)

SI.com's Ian Thomsen, Chris Ballard, Chris Mannix, Jack McCallum and Arash Markazi forecast the 2009-10 season.

1. Who will win the conference finals?

Thomsen: East -- Celtics over Cavaliers. West -- Lakers over Spurs.

Ballard: East -- Cavs over Celtics. West -- Lakers over Spurs.

Mannix: East -- Celtics over Cavs. West -- Spurs over Lakers.

McCallum: East -- Cavs over Celtics. West -- Spurs over Lakers.

Markazi: East -- Celtics over Cavs. West -- Lakers over Spurs.

2. Who will win the NBA Finals?

Thomsen: Celtics over Lakers. Their team defense, driven by Kevin Garnett and aided by backup Rasheed Wallace, will be the biggest factor in what will be a classic Finals.

Ballard: Cavs over Lakers. It's the season of LeBron. Shaq will do just enough on the court -- and perhaps just as important, deflect some of the media attention off it -- to put the Cavs over the top, and with Anthony Parker they now have another spot-up shooter to go with Mo Williams. It'll be a fun series: Shaq tweeting insults about L.A., Ron Artest trying to sumo wrestle James on D and Kobe wondering where, oh where Trevor Ariza is.

Mannix: Celtics over Spurs. It won't be easy, as second-seeded Boston will have to go through Orlando in the second round and Cleveland in the conference finals. But a healthy superstar (Garnett), a revamped bench (Wallace, Marquis Daniels) and a renewed hunger will power the Celtics to their second title in three years.

McCallum: Spurs over Cavs. Wait a minute, isn't that San Antonio franchise ancient history? Didn't it fail to get beyond the first round last year, and didn't the Spurs fail to land the one offseason piece (screwy as he might be) they wanted when Rasheed Wallace went to the Celtics? And isn't it just LeBron's time? Well, maybe. But doesn't a rotation of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Roger Mason, along with new acquisitions Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess and rookie DeJuan Blair sound pretty solid? It won't be a replay of the 2007 championship series when the not-ready-for-prime-time Cavs were swept by the formidable San Antonio defense. But I see the Spurs in seven.

Markazi: Lakers over Celtics. Kobe told one of the more bizarre Artest stories last year. Bryant said that after the Lakers lost Game 6 of the 2008 NBA Finals in Boston, he was alone in the shower when Artest, who had apparently talked his way into the Lakers' locker room, walked up to him and said, "I want to come help you. If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to L.A. and give you the help you need to win a title." (You can just imagine Kobe saying, "Um, yeah, let me just dry off and we can talk.") Well, it may have taken longer than both would have liked, but Artest is finally a Laker and Bryant finally has his enforcer. The Lakers were exposed as a soft team by the Celtics in their last Finals meeting, but two years later, the Lakers, with the toughness of Artest and a healthy Andrew Bynum, will return the favor.

Tbiggums47
10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Writers' predictions for 2009-10 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/10/26/preseason.roundtable/)

SI.com's Ian Thomsen, Chris Ballard, Chris Mannix, Jack McCallum and Arash Markazi forecast the 2009-10 season.

1. Who will win the conference finals?

Thomsen: East -- Celtics over Cavaliers. West -- Lakers over Spurs.

Ballard: East -- Cavs over Celtics. West -- Lakers over Spurs.

Mannix: East -- Celtics over Cavs. West -- Spurs over Lakers.

McCallum: East -- Cavs over Celtics. West -- Spurs over Lakers.

Markazi: East -- Celtics over Cavs. West -- Lakers over Spurs.

2. Who will win the NBA Finals?

Thomsen: Celtics over Lakers. Their team defense, driven by Kevin Garnett and aided by backup Rasheed Wallace, will be the biggest factor in what will be a classic Finals.

Ballard: Cavs over Lakers. It's the season of LeBron. Shaq will do just enough on the court -- and perhaps just as important, deflect some of the media attention off it -- to put the Cavs over the top, and with Anthony Parker they now have another spot-up shooter to go with Mo Williams. It'll be a fun series: Shaq tweeting insults about L.A., Ron Artest trying to sumo wrestle James on D and Kobe wondering where, oh where Trevor Ariza is.

Mannix: Celtics over Spurs. It won't be easy, as second-seeded Boston will have to go through Orlando in the second round and Cleveland in the conference finals. But a healthy superstar (Garnett), a revamped bench (Wallace, Marquis Daniels) and a renewed hunger will power the Celtics to their second title in three years.

McCallum: Spurs over Cavs. Wait a minute, isn't that San Antonio franchise ancient history? Didn't it fail to get beyond the first round last year, and didn't the Spurs fail to land the one offseason piece (screwy as he might be) they wanted when Rasheed Wallace went to the Celtics? And isn't it just LeBron's time? Well, maybe. But doesn't a rotation of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Roger Mason, along with new acquisitions Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess and rookie DeJuan Blair sound pretty solid? It won't be a replay of the 2007 championship series when the not-ready-for-prime-time Cavs were swept by the formidable San Antonio defense. But I see the Spurs in seven.

Markazi: Lakers over Celtics. Kobe told one of the more bizarre Artest stories last year. Bryant said that after the Lakers lost Game 6 of the 2008 NBA Finals in Boston, he was alone in the shower when Artest, who had apparently talked his way into the Lakers' locker room, walked up to him and said, "I want to come help you. If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to L.A. and give you the help you need to win a title." (You can just imagine Kobe saying, "Um, yeah, let me just dry off and we can talk.") Well, it may have taken longer than both would have liked, but Artest is finally a Laker and Bryant finally has his enforcer. The Lakers were exposed as a soft team by the Celtics in their last Finals meeting, but two years later, the Lakers, with the toughness of Artest and a healthy Andrew Bynum, will return the favor.

Wow! I have to agree Mannix.... I thought last year when it was obvious that all of the new contending teams were beating us by virtually showing up and out running us....They never really demonstrated any basketball know how. They beat us by the quanity of their youth and that was it as far as I was concerned....For The Spurs it was only a matter of tweeking...The Spurs will actually be better by virtue of depth and basketball know how...And by the way..this year there will some dunking from all position...Watch out NBA!

UnWantedTheory
10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
:jack

:flag: :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

Allanon
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow, only Markazi picking the Lakers? They're starting out as underdogs again this year.

Lots of Spurs love in the air.

Baseline
10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Here's what Laker fans don't realize... by adding Artest, the Lakers got way less athletic. They will sorely miss Ariza's defense on quick guys like Tony Parker. Ariza could defend the 1, the 2, and sometimes the 3 depending on the matchup. That was HUGE. Artest can defend the 3 really well, but that's about it anymore.

Ariza gave Parker problems - in fact, way more problems than most Spurs fans wanted to admit. I for one was ecstatic to hear they were letting Ariza go. I was also shocked. Ariza was enormous for them, because Fisher has no prayer of containing Parker, and neither does Shannon Brown. Farmar is the quickest guard they have, and he still can't contain Parker. Plus, Farmar is an idiot who can't run the offense. Even though he's cocky beyond belief and a legend in his own mind, Farmar hasn't been able to beat out the slowest point guard in the league, Derek Fisher. Ariza's presence covered the fact that Fisher has no business trying to defend the point in the NBA.

And I'm only talking about the defensive end. Artest is a black hole on offense and everybody knows it.

I think this is specifically the reason some people are not picking the Lakers. On paper they are super-impressive, but the Artest thing is not only volatile, it will probably prove to be less effective on both ends of the floor.

Allanon
10-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Here's what Laker fans don't realize... by adding Artest, the Lakers got way less athletic. They will sorely miss Ariza's defense on quick guys like Tony Parker.

I actually do realize this. Let's face it, the Lakers are paper tigers this year and only hyped because they're the Lakers. How can guys like Vujacic, Farmar, mBenga, Morrison, Brown, Luke be even considered NBA players? The media is trying to shove this "stacked" Lakers team hype down our throats when it's really just Kobe and a bunch of scrubs.

The Lakers gave up a sure thing and versatile player in Trevor Ariza for a 30 year-old volatile forward who's as likely to stop the offense as he is likely to run around a 5 star hotel in his chonies.

I'll say it now, the Lakers were just lucky to win last year.

No Manu, no KG, no Jameer, No Mo, No Yao, No Okur. I do get it. :toast

Mr. Body
10-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd take Spurs' hunger over Celtics' hunger if that determined Finals victory, contra Mannix.

Pierce, Allen, Garnett are great players but don't have the same heart as Parker and especially Duncan and Ginobili.

peskypesky
10-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I think Spurs will make it to the Finals this year. I honestly feel the Lakers' chemistry will be affected negatively by Artest and I don't think they'll be as hungry as they were in 2009 (especially after having been spanked by the celtics in 2008). The Spurs are not only hungry again, but I think just about everyone is underestimating the improvements to the roster. Jefferson and McDyess are proven vets who are starter quality on most NBA teams. George Hill is really coming into his own now and will be a great backup PG. And Dejuan Blair? Please. The man is a beast. He's got a chip on his shoulders, and his shoulders are wiiiiiidddde.

Manu is the x-factor. If he's healthy in the playoffs, and I'm not counting on it, this will be the strongest Spurs team in a long time.

I feel confident the Spurs can beat the Cavs and Magic if they meet in the Finals. Not so sure about the Celtics, who are stacked and hungry again. But I give the slight edge to the Spurs for two reasons. One, I think the Spurs bench is stronger. And two, Sheed is a loose cannon.As with Artest on the Lakers, Celtics can't be 100% confident they won't have personality issues. The Spurs, with McDyess and Jefferson, have no such worries.

admiralsnackbar
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised Orlando doesn't even figure into the conversation anymore.

peskypesky
10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
They lost their matchup advantage over the Cavs, and thus they are irrelevant now.

yep. pretty much.

admiralsnackbar
10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
They lost their matchup advantage over the Cavs, and thus they are irrelevant now.

:sleep

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2009, 03:34 PM
LOL Orlando haters are funny..

Obstructed_View
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow, only Markazi picking the Lakers? They're starting out as underdogs again this year.

Three out of five guys have the Lakers coming out of the west. Not sure how that defines them as "underdogs" but whatever helps get you through the day.

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Well to be fair, if the Lakers don't make it out of the West, Kobe fans will somehow try to convince people that Kobe's team wasn't the favorite..

Allanon
10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Three out of five guys have the Lakers coming out of the west. Not sure how that defines them as "underdogs" but whatever helps get you through the day.

Teams like the Lakers have far better things to celebrate than just "coming out of the West". Leave the conference banners for the other upcoming teams to hoist.

Would you be content with the Spurs to just "come out of the West"?

peskypesky
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM
LOL Orlando haters are funny..

i don't hate Orlando. i just think that Hedo was crucial to their success last year...and i think Vince Carter is a proven also-ran.

admiralsnackbar
10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
i don't hate Orlando. i just think that Hedo was crucial to their success last year...and i think Vince Carter is a proven also-ran.
As a heavy, yes. As a second banana, not so much.

Imagine Hedo having to carry a team.

Shifty
10-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I actually do realize this. Let's face it, the Lakers are paper tigers this year and only hyped because they're the Lakers. How can guys like Vujacic, Farmar, mBenga, Morrison, Brown, Luke be even considered NBA players? The media is trying to shove this "stacked" Lakers team hype down our throats when it's really just Kobe and a bunch of scrubs.

The Lakers gave up a sure thing and versatile player in Trevor Ariza for a 30 year-old volatile forward who's as likely to stop the offense as he is likely to run around a 5 star hotel in his chonies.

The only thing I would disagree would be with is "Kobe and bunch of scrubs". No matter how lucky, you still need a good team to win it all. However, most "experts" do forget how this "juggernaut" barely got past the same (almost) Rockets team that is predicted to miss the playoffs this year and faced the best matchup out of the 3 good teams from the East.

Sure, Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Odom and Fisher/Bynum do look very scary and should be considered one of the favorites, but ignoring that past these 6 the rest of the players are hardly playoff rotation and make me wonder how much the champion label is influencing how this team is seen.

#2!
10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Today on PTI Bill Simmons, as well as Kornheiser, and Wilbon all picked the spurs to make the finals.

Spursfan092120
10-27-2009, 05:55 PM

not really dude...3 out of 5 have the Lakers getting to the Finals, and only 2 have the Spurs getting there...they just seem to think mostly that the East rules...we'll have to see about that.

lotr1trekkie
10-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Lakers were not that domininant in the Finals. Artest is a great addition on paper but can he be a role player on a team that has a Big 3? I feel more comfortable with Jefferson's role. He knows they want him to take offensive pressure off OUR Big 3. I expect 15 a nite from Jefferson. Our Big 3 will get 54 to 60 a nite. That is 75. We need 25 off the bench and some D in the 4th period to win.

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I love picks before the season even starts LOL..they're all pointless..none of us know how any of the elite teams will look with their new players, and obviously the "analysts" don't know either..

Allanon
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
not really dude...3 out of 5 have the Lakers getting to the Finals, and only 2 have the Spurs getting there...they just seem to think mostly that the East rules...we'll have to see about that.

Or you could say only 1 out of 5 analysts pick the underdog defending champs to repeat. Talk about a lack of respect. I remember when the Celtics or Spurs won, the following year they would be like a 5 out of 5 pick to win it all. :lol

nbaman99
10-27-2009, 10:54 PM
hahahaha Dallas lost on the opening night. there just suck

TIMMYD!
10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Dallas sucks.

mytespurs
10-27-2009, 11:51 PM
ESPN first take analyzed picked Spurs to win all over lakers just now. and there r going to debate more little later. Lakers with all the off the court drama they dont think lakers will repeat

Go Spurs

What off the court Lakers drama? Are they referring to Artest? I think Artest wants to wear a ring, as one of espn hosts said today Kobe is the alpha dog there and Artest will respect that.

If Lakers remain healthy, their chances to repeat look very good. Of course I would love nothing better than to see the Spurs in the fnals in 2010 so we'll see...the fun is just beginning! :toast

mytespurs
10-27-2009, 11:54 PM

Lakers as underdog? 'Fraid not....most are picking the Lakers to repeat-it's a very rare poll that does not have the Lakers winning the west and repeating as champions.

SouthTexasRancher
10-28-2009, 12:07 AM

I think Allanon just gave the rest of the NBA the West Coast Mafia's "Kiss of Death"...

Either that or he just won a bunch of money betting that the Cavs would get their ass kicked tonight. :toast

Thomas82
10-28-2009, 12:36 AM
here's what laker fans don't realize... By adding artest, the lakers got way less athletic. They will sorely miss ariza's defense on quick guys like tony parker. Ariza could defend the 1, the 2, and sometimes the 3 depending on the matchup. That was huge. Artest can defend the 3 really well, but that's about it anymore.

Ariza gave parker problems - in fact, way more problems than most spurs fans wanted to admit. I for one was ecstatic to hear they were letting ariza go. I was also shocked. Ariza was enormous for them, because fisher has no prayer of containing parker, and neither does shannon brown. Farmar is the quickest guard they have, and he still can't contain parker. Plus, farmar is an idiot who can't run the offense. Even though he's cocky beyond belief and a legend in his own mind, farmar hasn't been able to beat out the slowest point guard in the league, derek fisher. Ariza's presence covered the fact that fisher has no business trying to defend the point in the nba.

And i'm only talking about the defensive end. Artest is a black hole on offense and everybody knows it.

I think this is specifically the reason some people are not picking the lakers. On paper they are super-impressive, but the artest thing is not only volatile, it will probably prove to be less effective on both ends of the floor.

+1

spurspokesman
10-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Here's what Laker fans don't realize... by adding Artest, the Lakers got way less athletic. They will sorely miss Ariza's defense on quick guys like Tony Parker. Ariza could defend the 1, the 2, and sometimes the 3 depending on the matchup. That was HUGE. Artest can defend the 3 really well, but that's about it anymore.

Ariza gave Parker problems - in fact, way more problems than most Spurs fans wanted to admit. I for one was ecstatic to hear they were letting Ariza go. I was also shocked. Ariza was enormous for them, because Fisher has no prayer of containing Parker, and neither does Shannon Brown. Farmar is the quickest guard they have, and he still can't contain Parker. Plus, Farmar is an idiot who can't run the offense. Even though he's cocky beyond belief and a legend in his own mind, Farmar hasn't been able to beat out the slowest point guard in the league, Derek Fisher. Ariza's presence covered the fact that Fisher has no business trying to defend the point in the NBA.

And I'm only talking about the defensive end. Artest is a black hole on offense and everybody knows it.

I think this is specifically the reason some people are not picking the Lakers. On paper they are super-impressive, but the Artest thing is not only volatile, it will probably prove to be less effective on both ends of the floor.
I try to tell people this all the time and they pull the wool over they're eyes