PDA

View Full Version : Computer Illiteracy

thispego
04-17-2005, 12:18 AM
I know i've made it abundantly clear that i am computer illiterate, but how do i take a picture from the internet and resize it for a wallpaper. I know you can just right click on it and "set as background" but the resolution is all f'd up. any suggestions??? again, sorry for not knowing shit about this sort of thing.

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:22 AM
It's not that you are computer illiterate...if you want to resize it and make it bigger while keeping the clarity it has at a lower resolution, well if it's really small, you have to get software to do that...I am not uptodate on photo software but the last time I did it I had to use adobe photoshop with a plugin called genuine fractals to blow up the picture and keep it high quality resolution.

There's probably individual programs that do that now...maybe even some freeware...

thispego
04-17-2005, 12:25 AM
how about a picture about this size....?

http://www.supergino.com/images/Spurs/spurs218.jpg
would that need a special program?

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:27 AM
No...you shouldn't need any specialized software to blow that up...let me check it out.

thispego
04-17-2005, 12:29 AM
sweet, thanks whottt, ur tha shit

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:30 AM
You don't like the elongated look right? Yeah that's not a resolution problem...it's just got the wrong dimensions for a desktop...

Just go download irfanview(freeware) and use the resize option on it..you can change the dimensions, you probably won't be able to get it perfect but you might be able to get rid of the elongated look, or blow it up to where you can center it and have it cover most of your desktop without using the stretch feature.

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:31 AM
I'll screw around with it for a second and see if I can resize it better....and then upload it.

thispego
04-17-2005, 12:33 AM
ok, i'll check out that irfanview while you do that... i'd like to eventually be able to do this sort of thing for myself, lol. I appreciate the help man

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Try this...it doesn't totally cover your desktop but it's about the best I could get it without distorting the picture or pushing players off the desktop...

Just set that as your desktop then click on display properties desktop and center it...then make the background of your desktop black or something and it should look pretty good...

The resolution is a bit rougher than it is in the smaller photo but as far as I know the only way to improve that is with photoshop plugins.

http://img164.echo.cx/img164/6959/spurs2186ag.jpg

thispego
04-17-2005, 12:45 AM
AWESOME! Thats perfect whottt, thanks again

Rick Von Braun
04-17-2005, 08:39 AM
If you are using a Windows OS (which I assume you do since you don't know much about computers), use "Paint" to do this. Open the image and press CTTRL+W to strech the image anyway you want. Paint is a basic image manipulation program that comes standard with Windows.

boutons
04-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Much simpler: right click on an image displaye in a browser, and "set as wallpaper"

... is how it can be done with Firefox.

Re-sizing is trickier. Substantial resizing will soften the image, like watching a 4:3 TV image re-sized to 16:9 and 65" diagonal.

btw, DVR's compress the video so much, to such a low bit-rate, that the compression artefacts make it unwatchable on a large screen.

Here it is at 1024 wide, to fit most screens:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bamboozool2/999_temp/pecking_order_1024.jpg