PDA

View Full Version : Bob Griese suspended for "racist" remark

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I wish people would stop being so damned sensitive.

If Griese had said some German driver was out having a bratwurst, somehow I doubt he would be suspended.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/27/bob-griese-suspended-for-_n_335070.html

(AP) ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese has been suspended one week for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz says Griese will not be working a game this week.

Krulewitz says ESPN has spoken to Griese and "he understands the comment was inappropriate."

During ESPN's broadcast of the Minnesota-Ohio State game Saturday, a graphic was shown listing the top five drivers in NASCAR's points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian.

Griese replied he was "out having a taco."
He has twice apologized on air for the remark.

Montoya is declining to comment on Griese's suspension. He brushed off the remark Sunday, and said he'd never heard of Griese.

panic giraffe
10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
wouldn't call it racist, but definitely ignorant..

do columbians even eat taco's? thought that was mainly a tex-mex thing.

gets what he deserves, because he meant it in a derogatory manner, dude is from miami, like he doesn't know what culture eats what...it was just a derogatory statement to a brown person w/a spanish surname...if they were talking basketball and they asked "where's cp3?" and his response was "out eating friend chicken" he would have been fired before the next commercial break...

Winehole23
10-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Do Colombians eat tacos?

balli
10-27-2009, 04:22 PM
:jack

Winehole23
Beat me to it. PG.

clambake
its not like griese called him a greaser.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
It was an asinine thing to say and ESPN (which is under fire on several fronts) needed to avoid the PR storm that asinine comments tend to bring.

Winehole23
10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
There's a special onus put on broadcasters not to say jackassed things. It's supposed to be part of their professionalism.

Griese blundered, and rightly suffers the flames IMO.

panic giraffe
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Beat me to it. PG.

sorry.......
mainly plantains and such, more of a afro-euro blend then anything north of panama...so just ignorance on his part.
and wiki was the only source i could find on this, so take it w/a grain of salt...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombian_cuisine
no tacos were hurt in this posting.

Winehole23
10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
no tacos were hurt in this posting.:lol

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
The San Antonio Missions (a minor league baseball team) has Henry the Puffy Taco as a mascot.

Kids enjoy chasing him around the bases and tackling him. I can't recall anyone ever being offended.

3dqwUa-xGCk

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
:jack

Says the guy from the white-est city in the white-est state.

Winehole23
10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
The puffy taco was invented in San Antonio, Darrin.

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 04:35 PM
The puffy taco was invented in San Antonio, Darrin.

I'm from here.

What if Griese had said the Irish driver was out getting a pint?

Not suspended.

Oh, Gee!!
10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
it's also advertisement for a local restaurant, darrin. why do you hate capitalism so much that you want to prevent advertising?

ChumpDumper
10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm from here.

Not suspended.Has any broadcaster ever said that?

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
it's also advertisement for a local restaraunt, darrin. why do you hate capitalism so much that you want to prevent advertising?

I'm not overly sensitive about my skin color or my love of tacos.

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm also extremely fond of fried chicken and eggrolls.

Oh, Gee!!
10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
darrin's argument is that because nobody in san antonio complains about a puffy taco, nobody (anywhere else in the US) should complain about griese's stupid comment.

Winehole23
10-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm from here.

Not suspended.You're not thinking this through. The row over that might be even worse.

Winehole23
10-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Plus which, it's our damn taco. If the mayor of Gwangju, S. Korea or Kumamoto, Japan presented our city fathers with a ceremonial taco, or called us a bunch of bean eaters I doubt that'd go over too well, even though there's nothing inherently derogatory about tacos or eating beans.

See what I mean?

balli
10-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Says the guy from the white-est city in the white-est state.

I don't see what you being a masturbatory dumbass has to do with Utah's racial make-up, but per usual, you're too fucking stupid and racist to even try to make sense of.

Just keep jacking off to your own pathetic ignorance and I'll keep calling you out for it.

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't see what you being a masturbatory dumbass has to do with Utah's racial make-up, but per usual, you're too fucking stupid and racist to even try to make sense of.

Just keep jacking off to your own pathetic ignorance and I'll keep calling you out for it.

Are you out of pot again?

DarrinS
10-27-2009, 05:03 PM
darrin's argument is that because nobody in san antonio complains about a puffy taco, nobody (anywhere else in the US) should complain about griese's stupid comment.

I seriously doubt that the driver was offended.

BlackSwordsMan
10-27-2009, 05:03 PM
out snorting a line would been the correct answer

balli
10-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Darrin, it hardly takes sobriety for most people to figure out you're a fucking moron.

Winehole23
10-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I seriously doubt that the driver was offended.So what? JP Montoya may not even know what a taco is.That Montoya is Colombian makes Griese's comment even worse IMO.

Spurminator
10-27-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't blame ESPN for suspending him.

Racist or not, it was mind-bogglingly ignorant and unfunny. Dude can't even stereotype right.

panic giraffe
10-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't blame ESPN for suspending him.

Racist or not, it was mind-bogglingly ignorant and unfunny. Dude can't even stereotype right.

l:toast like i said, you can't consider it a racist statement, but definitely an ignorant one. which is fine, ignorant people are everywhere (see www.michelebachmann.com) but they should keep their ignorance to themselves , at least on a national stage.

I'm also extremely fond of fried chicken and eggrolls.

and fond of being an idiot. wait. scratch that, any idiot could see that the puffy taco is just good marketing (hmmm...henry's does sound nice right now) and that griese's comment was just ignorance. like i said before if he the player in question was cp3 and he said "out eating fried chicken" that would be racist and there would be calls for his resignation. but since he couldn't even get his racial slur down to the right nationality it just shows poor judgement and ignorance, hopefully he'll spend his week off in some boring tolerance class or at least a latin american studies class so he could get his derogatory food remarks down to the right country.

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm from here.

Not suspended.Yeah that's so true,nobody would have said shit about it.I've been asked many, times mostly by europeans why Americans constantly besmirch southeren Americans,especially since many of these europeans have traveled in the south and, have not found southereners to be especially stupider or more ignorant than other parts of the country.
Yeah I mean look at St. patricks day, everyone in America celebrates it,but they celebrate it by getting drunk and acting like fools. the Irish don't see St. Patricks day as an excuse to get toasted.

Ignignokt
10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
It was mind-boggingly a light joke.

Colombians think they are too good to eat tacos anyway.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Rule of thumb: Don't say stuff about anyone like that and you can stay out of trouble. Avoid saying anything like that about brown people or women or you're in seriously deep shit.

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
It was mind-boggingly a light joke.

Colombians think they are too good to eat tacos anyway.Yeah I know what you mean all south americans feel that way.

whottt
10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Columbians don't eat Tacos really. They eat a shitload of plantains and eggs..they put eggs on their steaks too. Mexican food pretty much kicks the shit out of Columbian food IMHO and if I was Mexican I'd be insulted he insulted my food that way.

Taco>>>> any Columbian food I have eaten, including the steaks.

exstatic
10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
the Irish don't see St. Patricks day as an excuse to get toasted.

You must not know very many Irish. :lol

Seriously, how dumb is it to do this NOW? ESPN is in a PR shit storm after just firing Mr. poke a 22 YO intern. There had to at least have been a "don't do anything that reflects badly on ESPN" memo within the last few days.

exstatic
10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah I know what you mean all south americans feel that way.

No surprise dope thinks no offensive remark was made by Griese. :lol

Self PWNG is so righteous.

panic giraffe
10-27-2009, 08:19 PM
OK, now i got a better analogy....
guy 1"where's yao?"
douche we're talking about "probably getting some kim chee"

wrong culture, wrong food for ethnic group...just plain ignorance.

if he said
"getting szchuen(no clue how to spell) chicken"
that would be borderline racist, and just stereotyping...
but since he put the wrong everything, he just showed insensitivity and that he's an idiot.
game.
set.
match.

off to see the wizard...

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 08:25 PM
You must not know very many Irish. :lol

Seriously, how dumb is it to do this NOW? ESPN is in a PR shit storm after just firing Mr. poke a 22 YO intern. There had to at least have been a "don't do anything that reflects badly on ESPN" memo within the last few days.actually I've know quite a few here in the states and have traveled in Ireland.

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
No surprise dope thinks no offensive remark was made by Griese. :lol

Self PWNG is so righteous.You don't know many south americans

clambake
10-27-2009, 08:29 PM
what do you like about ireland, micca?

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
what do you like about ireland, micca?

There's a cafe right across the street from trinity college and it's the only place in the entire british Isles where you can get a good cup of real coffee.and damn good pasteries,but mostly I think the land itself was so beautiful.

Bartleby
10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
many of these europeans have traveled in the south and, have not found southereners to be especially stupider or more ignorant than other parts of the country.

jack sommerset
10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
:lol for be suspended. "Out having a Taco" I swear I would have never heard of this stupid ass story if he was not suspended. Something this stupid has made me laugh ALL DAY! Thank you ESPN And Bob Griese. Folks like cry havoc have helped made our country full of fucking cunts. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SpurNation
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
This is ridiculous. Another race besides white can say any derogatory remark about a white person in jest or commical venue and it's called funny yet let any derogatory remark come out of a white person's mouth and they get punished or listed as racists?

C'mon...you know Griese didn't say it out of rasist venue. Has Griese EVER been accused or labeled as a rasists before this remark? For those that always say "Look at the history of the person" you know this to be true.

We are getting too politically correct in a world full of hypocrites who can dish it out but can't take.

jack sommerset
10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
This is ridiculous. Another race besides white can say any derogatory remark about a white person in jest or commical venue and it's called funny yet let any derogatory remark come out of a white person's mouth and they get punished or listed as racists?

C'mon...you know Griese didn't say it out of rasist venue. Has Griese EVER been accused or labeled as a rasists before this remark? For those that always say "Look at the history of the person" you know this to be true.

We are getting too politically correct in a world full of hypocrites who can dish it out but can't take.

Amen motherfucker.:toast

resistanze
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone who try to play the "politically correct" card is a fucking idiot.

You can try to play that card if Montoya was actually Mexican or if Colombians were known to eat Tacos.

But they don't. So it's painfully clear his joke was made because, I guess, Montoya is brown and probably knows Spanish. :lol

This thread is further proof that people would rationalize any form of bigotry under the guise of combating "political correctness," and shouldn't be trusted for a neutral perspective on these types of situations.

"Wahhhhh I can't say bigoted shit without being held accountable anymore! What happened to the good ol' days? Where's my privilege?"

Taco
10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Did someone say Taco?

SpurNation
10-27-2009, 09:12 PM

You can try to play that card if Montoya was actually Mexican or if Colombians were known to eat Tacos.

But they don't. So it's painfully clear his joke was made because, I guess, Montoya is brown and probably knows Spanish. :lol

This thread is further proof that people would rationalize any form of bigotry under the guise of combating "political correctness," and shouldn't be trusted for a neutral perspective on these types of situations.

"Wahhhhh I can't say bigoted shit without being held accountable anymore! What happened to the good ol' days? Where's my privilege?"

Agreed. If it worked both ways.

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Oh yeah.....dude I know what you mean, my wife has a brown skin, and when we're around a bunch of arabs they think cause she has a brown skin she's an arab, and when we're around mexicans they think she's a mexican, and when we're around greeks they thinks she's greek and when we're around indians they think she's an indian, now they could be a bunch of bigoted pin headed fucks who think all brown skinned people are like them or...they could just be good people making assumptions.

cornbread
10-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm enraged by this comment. Just like I was last season when Sean Elliott said Vinny Del Negro deserved a big bowl spaghetti for the great work he's done as a coach.

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM

"Wahhhhh I can't say bigoted shit without being held accountable anymore! What happened to the good ol' days? Where's my privilege?" You found a bigot ,because you need to find bigots,and no doubt you'll find many more in your life.have fun with that.

resistanze
10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Oh yeah.....dude I know what you mean, my wife has a brown skin, and when we're around a bunch of arabs they think cause she has a brown skin she's an arab, and when we're around mexicans they think she's a mexican, and when we're around greeks they thinks she's greek and when we're around indians they think she's an indian, now they could be a bunch of bigoted pin headed fucks who think all brown skinned people are like them or...they could just be good people making assumptions.
...So basically you're saying: Bob Griese obviously made that comment because he honestly thought that Juan Pablo Montoya was out back eating Tacos. No, he seriously did, it was a perfectly legitimate assumption, it wasn't even a joke as he himself stated. Got it.

But you have a brown skinned wife. +1 for cred.

mookie2001
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
sorrrrry senor

hope4dopes
10-27-2009, 10:11 PM
...So basically you're saying: Bob Griese obviously made that comment because he honestly thought that Juan Pablo Montoya was out back eating Tacos. No, he seriously did, it was a perfectly legitimate assumption, it wasn't even a joke as he himself stated. Got it.

But you have a brown skinned wife. +1 for cred. Oh there are several scenarios I could see happening, but dude you're not looking for that your looking for some white bigot to hate. Eureka...... you're a warrior of zion
root out the evil. Like I said I think you'll find it everywhere you look, have fun with it. Yeah my wife has a brown skin but I don't think she has anything in common with you...like I said enjoy.

exstatic
10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
You don't know many south americans

But apparently, you know them all, each and every one.

Bender
10-28-2009, 07:53 AM
earlier in this thread people were mentioning that espn had enough public relations problems with their other problem... what was that?

edit - here it is

Seriously, how dumb is it to do this NOW? ESPN is in a PR shit storm after just firing Mr. poke a 22 YO intern. There had to at least have been a "don't do anything that reflects badly on ESPN" memo within the last few days.

hope4dopes
10-28-2009, 10:25 AM
But apparently, you know them all, each and every one. Dude shouldn't you be running off to class I think they're about to hand out the crayons and saftey scissors.I guess the answer to my question is "no" you don't

balli
10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
micca, pwnt again and crying like a bitch.

hope4dopes
10-28-2009, 10:29 AM
micca, pwnt again and crying like a bitch.Hey bali.........who do you want to shoot today?

balli
10-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey bali.........who do you want to shoot today?
Nobody, because there are consequences.

That doesn't mean your ilk wouldn't deserve it. You so-called conservatives should be systemically exterminated like the roaches you are.

Sportcamper
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I love Tacos…

hope4dopes
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Nobody, because there are consequences.

That doesn't mean your ilk wouldn't deserve it. You so-called conservatives should be systemically exterminated like the roaches you are. yeah ...O.K. it's the conservatives today.....well you're a regular little Rambo today aren't ya peanut.

panic giraffe
10-28-2009, 11:23 AM

it does work both ways, if we were watching a boxing match that de la hoya was announcing and generic Italian boxer #1 is out of the picture, to which de la hoya is asked where is he? and the response is "out eating his mom's quiche or souffe or some french dish" by de la hoya, it would show not racism, but the same ignorance, and the golden boy would be forced to work wwe...

Amen motherfucker.:toast

translation: so when is the next klan meeting anyways?

Agreed. If it worked both ways.

it does, ignorance is called ignorance regardless of race/ethicity...

true to a point...they arent being bigoted pinheads, but ignorant pin heads...
i was in the army, i'm cleary chicano, maybe could fall for puerto rican cause of how dark i am, but in the service, since my last name can be scrambled to sound arab...i was always referred to as osama or whatever derogatory name i won't use that they call arabs...i didn't view those that said that as bigots, but just ignorant and probably from a part of the country as beautiful and multicultural as..say...kentucky.

Oh, Gee!!
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah that's so true,nobody would have said shit about it.I've been asked many, times mostly by europeans why Americans constantly besmirch southeren Americans,especially since many of these europeans have traveled in the south and, have not found southereners to be especially stupider or more ignorant than other parts of the country.
Yeah I mean look at St. patricks day, everyone in America celebrates it,but they celebrate it by getting drunk and acting like fools. the Irish don't see St. Patricks day as an excuse to get toasted.

You don't know many south americans

First, WTF?:dizzy

Second, when you refer to "southeren Americans," do you mean U.S. Americans living in the Southern states of the U.S., or do you mean people who live in the continent of South America?

Third, WTF?:dizzy

balli
10-28-2009, 12:20 PM
yeah ...O.K. it's the conservatives today.....well you're a regular little Rambo today aren't ya peanut.

I mean why not, right? If you're going to routinely act like you're living in Stalinist Russia and cry over absolute bullshit all the time, hell, someone can fulfill your self-prophesies for all I care. You perceive the same level of affectation right now... So yeah, I'm just fucking with you, but get some god damn perspective about hard times, lest someone get fed up and force that perspective upon you.

DarrinS
10-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I mean why not, right? If you're going to routinely act like you're living in Stalinist Russia and cry over absolute bullshit all the time, hell, someone can fulfill your self-prophesies for all I care. You perceive the same level of affectation right now... So yeah, I'm just fucking with you, but get some god damn perspective about hard times, lest someone get fed up and force that perspective upon you.

Why are liberals so angry all the time?

You and boutons_douche need to exchange Ritalin prescriptions.

hope4dopes
10-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Why are liberals so angry all the time?

You and boutons_douche need to exchange Ritalin prescriptions.I think it's because they aint getting any.

jack sommerset
10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
If someone said "jack sommerset is out eating a pizza" I would not be upset.

hope4dopes
10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
it does work both ways, if we were watching a boxing match that de la hoya was announcing and generic Italian boxer #1 is out of the picture, to which de la hoya is asked where is he? and the response is "out eating his mom's quiche or souffe or some french dish" by de la hoya, it would show not racism, but the same ignorance, and the golden boy would be forced to work wwe...

translation: so when is the next klan meeting anyways?

it does, ignorance is called ignorance regardless of race/ethicity...

true to a point...they arent being bigoted pinheads, but ignorant pin heads...
i was in the army, i'm cleary chicano, maybe could fall for puerto rican cause of how dark i am, but in the service, since my last name can be scrambled to sound arab...i was always referred to as osama or whatever derogatory name i won't use that they call arabs...i didn't view those that said that as bigots, but just ignorant and probably from a part of the country as beautiful and multicultural as..say...kentucky. yeah will Rogers said everybody's ignorant about something.