PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Brown's health is creating a dilemma

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Spurs notebook: Brown's health is creating a dilemma
Web Posted: 04/17/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041705.9C.BKNspurs.notebook.1e5adaa30.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't expect Devin Brown to be completely healthy when the playoffs begin next weekend, forcing the team to make a difficult decision on whether to add him to the postseason roster.

Brown hasn't played since March 21 because of a herniated disk in his lower back. He continues to get better but still has to build back the strength in his right leg.

"We could put him on the roster, but what if (his condition) levels off?" Popovich said. "What if it doesn't get better? What if it takes the whole summer?

"You're just guessing when he's going to be able to get on the court. In the meantime, you're down a body."

Popovich said Brown has "no chance" to play in the team's final two regular-season games. Brown will accompany the Spurs on their trip to Memphis and Minnesota in case he is cleared to participate in contact workouts.

"The thing that makes it a difficult (decision) is he's improving every day," Popovich said. "But the improvement is not quick. The leg is getting stronger each day — it's not subjective; you can measure it — but it's only a little bit every day.

"You just can't play him right now because he's really prone to injury. It's weak enough he can wreck a knee, wreck an ankle, wreck a hip because his (quadriceps) strength is so bad."

Rasho Nesterovic is eligible to come off the injured list after Monday's game against Memphis, but Popovich said he would not play before the playoffs.

Nesterovic has missed the past four games because of a sprained left ankle.

Duncan seeks support: Tim Duncan is trying different ankle braces in hopes of finding one comfortable enough to use regularly.

"Some braces really give him a problem, and some really feel better and give him some added protection," Popovich said.

Popovich expects Duncan to gradually show more faith in his right ankle.

"At some point, you have to go out there and stretch it and extend it, but your mind is thankfully smart enough to hold you back," Popovich said. "That process takes a little bit of time to get the confidence to really go after a rebound and hang in the air and come down, or change direction and pivot a certain way. It just takes time."

Home, sweet home: The Spurs' 38-3 home record is the best in franchise history. It also led the NBA this season.

The only other time the Spurs had the best home mark in the league was in the 2000-01 season when they and Sacramento each went 33-8.

Of the NBA's 58 previous champions, 23 owned or shared the league's best home record.

The Spurs set their previous best home record (34-7) during the 1980-81 season. They tied it during David Robinson's rookie season in 1989-90.

Game of errors: Manu Ginobili played only six minutes in the first half after picking up three fouls.

Less than a minute into the third quarter, he got No. 4.

Despite the foul trouble, Ginobili still finished with 13 points and eight rebounds.

"I was more than surprised," Ginobili said. "I was upset, but those things happen. Sometimes a call can change your game because you get frustrated and you're not the same. That's what happened.

"You just have to forget it. The (referees) can make a mistake. I make turnovers, too, so it's a game of mistakes."

HB22inSA
04-17-2005, 01:49 AM
The Spurs cleared cap space for next year to give Devin Brown a contract, right?

So why even risk it? Keep him off the playoff roster and get him healthy for next year. A back injury is much more dangerous than a sprained ankle, so rest him for next year and put Big Dog Robinson on the roster.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-17-2005, 01:51 AM
They should sit him and let the Big Dog roam.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Makes it easy for Spurs. Keep Brown, Johnson and Wilks out.

Beno and Marks are in. (If Devin was in, Marks would have to be left out. And I think we'll need Sean before the Playoffs are over)

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:05 AM
The Spurs cleared cap space for next year to give Devin Brown a contract, right?

No, the Spurs have Devin's Early Bird's Rights to give him a contract. They don't have any cap space.

I think that Marks, Wilks and Johnson will not be on the playoff roster. Even if Devin isn't ready by Round 1; he'll get minutes in the later rounds.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:15 AM
This is a real quandary for Pop.

On the one hand, they need a player like Brown, an athlete who can run the floor, play solid perimeter D and shoot from outside, when they play teams like Seattle, Phoenix and Dallas in the playoffs.

On the other hand, they need a big player like Marks, when they play teams like Denver, Memphis, Detroit and Miami.

What to do?

If Brown were 100%, the decision would be a no brainer, but with the questionmark, I say go with Marks.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 09:18 AM
I think that Marks, Wilks and Johnson will not be on the playoff roster. Even if Devin isn't ready by Round 1; he'll get minutes in the later rounds.

No, I don't think so. From the tone of the article, it sounds like Pop is hinting to the Fans that Devin will not be playing in the Playoffs.

1. It's not worth injuring Devin.
2. It's not worth a spot if he doesn't/can't play 100%.
3. We have too many good players to take a chance on Devin's ability to play "later".

But, you never know with CIA Pop. Maybe this article means he WILL be on the Roster!

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Fact is, the playoffs are a whole different ball game. We have no back to backs, no 4 games in 5 nights, there is plenty of time to rest betw games. Manu, Barry and TP can play big minutes, without worrying about getting exhausted and run down.

Now with Robinson's availability for 8-10 quality mins a game, the need for Brown is not as imperative as it is in reg season, when Manu needed rest.

The questionable ankle health of Rasho and TD makes the decision to go with Marks a likely outcome.

With Mass, Nazr, Horry, TD and Marks, the Spurs can afford to give Rasho's ankle ample rest before the 2nd series. Also this gives Pop the luxury of playing TD and Rasho less minutes than they used to get.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I think the fact that Marks has only got five minutes per game in the last two games (and that's without Rasho being available and Tim being limited) is an indicator that he isn't going to make the roster. But that's just a guess.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:27 AM
The questionable ankle health of Rasho and TD makes the decision to go with Marks a likely outcome.

With Mass, Nazr, Horry, TD and Marks, the Spurs can afford to give Rasho's ankle ample rest before the 2nd series. Also this gives Pop the luxury of playing TD and Rasho less minutes than they used to get.

I think Rasho's perfectly fine. They probably regret him even going on IR because he hasn't been even limping or anything since the day after he got injured. I don't think that his injury was as serious as they originally thought.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:29 AM
I think the fact that Marks has only got five minutes per game in the last two games (and that's without Rasho being available and Tim being limited) is an indicator that he isn't going to make the roster. But that's just a guess.

If not Marks, who?

Wilks?

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:30 AM
I just said that I don't think that Johnson, Marks or Wilks will make the roster.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:32 AM
I just said that I don't think that Johnson, Marks or Wilks will make the roster.

Only 11 on the roster, then?

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:33 AM
No, the Spurs have 15 players -- 3 have to be off the playoff roster.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Oh, nevermind, I see you are saying Brown.

Well, I hope it is not wasted.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Well, I hope it is not wasted.

Do you consider it wasted if he can't play until Round 2?

I don't.

coachtf
04-17-2005, 09:38 AM
If there is any chance Brown can play in the later rounds you add him to the roster and ride it out. He will be huge against teams like Phoenix, Dallas and a possible Miami WAR.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 09:39 AM
No, but I consider it a HUGE mistake if Brown either cannot play, or re-injures himself.

Look, I love Devin's play, and would love to see him in the playoffs. But is it worth the risk? That's the big question.

But you're right, Marks would be playing more if they planned to keep him. Hope Pop is making the right choice.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Do you consider it wasted if he can't play until Round 2?

I don't.

I am just saying, with a bad back, he could be out for 6 months...you never have a lock down time frame on a bad back..it is not like an ankle or a groin, where there is usually a certain time to heal.

I hope that he is better by 2nd round, but the problem is, you just never know...one little slip and he could be back to square one.

That extra big guy is a known commodity.

I hope for the best and pray Pop makes the right choice, because I think this will be SA's toughest road to Championship that they ever have had.

timvp
04-17-2005, 09:41 AM
If you look at Devin Brown as the 12th man on the roster going into the playoffs, then whatever he does is just a bonus.

What did Gerald King do in the 1999 run?

What did Steve Smith do in the 2003 run?

Exactly.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:43 AM
If you look at Devin Brown as the 12th man on the roster going into the playoffs, then whatever he does is just a bonus.

What did Gerald King do in the 1999 run?

What did Steve Smith do in the 2003 run?

Exactly.

timvp, this team is the best Spurs team, 1-12 in the history of the Franchise. Everyone of them have made an impact of some sort when they had to.

Everyone could be called upon this year.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't know, 2003 was pretty tough. All games went to 6, right? Crazy.

And Steve Smith was on the Playoff roster but never played in 2003. Maybe that was the reson we HAD to go to 6 games in every series!

But, I'm with you, Jim. You can't risk an empty spot, especially when you have decent players like Wilks and Marks out there waiting (and able!) to play.

That should be the question, do we take Wilks or Marks? Devin should not even enter into it.

I'm going with Marks, especially with teams like the Rockets and Heat lurking around.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:45 AM
And it is all because of ankles, fatigue and depth of their competitors.

If we were 100% healthy, then 1-9 would be sufficient to win the title....but that is not the case....this is the one year that 10-12 can make a difference.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:47 AM
The way I look at it is Devin has had back problems on and off for the last three years. So you just need to play him when he's ready. You can't be worried about a re-injury. Were you guys constantly scared of DRob re-injuring his back too -- his problem was much worse than an inflammed nerve?

The Spurs aren't going to go 12 deep in the playoffs. So if Devin's the 12th guy sitting there and he can contribute. Then it's just a bonus. I just don't see Marks getting much time in the postseason.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Kori, how can you say the 12th man doesn't matter? And if he doesn't matter, why are you so keen to take Devin?

That makes no sense....

IF Rasho Mohammed gets hurt (or picks up 4 early fouls), then Marks could make a HUGE difference. He's another 6'10" body to throw around.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:50 AM
As I said, if Devin were 90%, this is a no brainer.

He is a wonderful defender and he can really make the opponent play straight up D on TD, because of his shoting and his penetrations....

I pray that Devin is on the roster and plays more mins than Big Dog....that would be the icing on the cake...plus he deserves to be on the roster....I love the guy.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Kori, how can you say the 12th man doesn't matter? And if he doesn't matter, why are you so keen to take Devin?

That makes no sense....

It makes perfect sense....if Pop knows what Devin's condition is.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Ummm.... because Devin would be more than a 12th man in the latter rounds -- he'd be a contributor. I believe Sean Marks would see very, very limited action no matter how many rounds there are -- thus it wouldn't matter if he was on the playoff roster or not.

boutons
04-17-2005, 09:52 AM
I'd regret Devin missing the playoffs, but a herniated disc and attendant cramps are NOT the garden-variety lumbar cramps nearly everyone has from time to time (as we try to finish evolving from quadripeds to bipeds), and that Devin said he has had every season.

Truly re-injuring the disc, perhaps requiring hernia surgery or vertebral-fusion, would be worse for Devin, the most important consideration, but he doesn't have to re-injure the disc for the debilitating cramping to recur. Needing two anti-inflmmatory shots already, his back muscles are probably extremely tender and susceptible to cramping solid, say, just bending over the sink to brush his teeth. Anybody who has had bouts of lumbar cramping knows how unexepectedly gentle the trigger motion can be.

He may not be fully replaceable, but anybody replacing him would be more useful than Devin sitting uselessly cramped up, or playing at less than full-speed.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Ummm.... because Devin would be more than a 12th man in the latter rounds -- he'd be a contributor. I believe Sean Marks would see very, very limited action no matter how many rounds there are -- thus it wouldn't matter if he was on the playoff roster or not.

That was some sweet dunk my Marks last night though.

He did not stick the landing though. :lol

You got to love that guy though...is he as nice as he seems, in person?

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:55 AM
If Devin were as bad off as you guys are painting it, then the Spurs would have given him the 3rd Round of shots that they thought he would need. He has actually progressed faster than they expected and didn't need the third round of shots. I'd imagine in 2 more weeks he'll be perfectly fine. But hey, I'm not a doctor.

Either way, the chance of a healthy Devin is better to me than a guy in Marks who isn't a difference maker. The Spurs have Tim, Rasho, Horry and Nazr, plus they go small a lot. So I don't think that the 5th big is going to make a difference.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:55 AM
That was some sweet dunk my Marks last night though.

He did not stick the landing though.

You got to love that guy though...is he as nice as he seems, in person?

Yes he's nice. And I heard him complaining to his wife after the game that he hurt his back/butt on that landing. He's got a very cute family -- a cute son about 2 years old that looks just like him, and another baby on the way.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 09:56 AM
see my edited post. IMO, we have a lack of big men this year.

We need Marks on the Roster.

What of Devin doesn't come back? Then he's less than 12th man. How long as he not been playing? This isn't Rasho or Tim we're talking about here. Devin is great, but he's not a core part of our team (no disrespect to Devin). Sure, he played his heart out against the Lakers last year, and I would LOVE for him to be healthy and make it.

But it sounds like he's NOT healthy, and there's no guarantee he will be in 2 weeks.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Either way, the chance of a healthy Devin is better to me than a guy in Marks who isn't a difference maker. The Spurs have Tim, Rasho, Horry and Nazr, plus they go small a lot. So I don't think that the 5th big is going to make a difference.

Don't forget my man, Mass.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Sorry I forgot Mass existed for a second. :lol Thanks for helping my argument.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Yes he's nice. And I heard him complaining to his wife after the game that he hurt his back/butt on that landing. He's got a very cute family -- a cute son about 2 years old that looks just like him, and another baby on the way.

great, another injured back. :rolleyes

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Sorry I forgot Mass existed for a second. :lol Thanks for helping my argument.

You forgot the Terp??????

You freaking Bruins are all alike.

:)

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:59 AM
great, another injured back. :rolleyes

He was just making a comment in passing. I doubt it's serious.

baseline bum
Sean Marks isn't going to win the Spurs any games. Devin Brown might be able to. To me it's a no-brainer to choose Devin.

Kori Ellis
You forgot the Terp??????

You freaking Bruins are all alike.

:)

Sorry. I shouldn't have forgotten him. Last night I talked to him for the first time outside an interview. He's very cool.

MadDog73
To quote Pop from the article:

"We could put him on the roster, but what if (his condition) levels off?" Popovich said. "What if it doesn't get better? What if it takes the whole summer?

"You're just guessing when he's going to be able to get on the court. In the meantime, you're down a body."

OK, I can see the argument against Marks. In that case, take Wilks. He'll be more useful against those smaller line-ups. Just don't risk Devin, please.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Yes there's some argument for taking Wilks, especially if the Spurs are meeting the Nuggets.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Sean Marks isn't going to win the Spurs any games. Devin Brown might be able to. To me it's a no-brainer to choose Devin.

Not if he doesn't play...

Brodels
04-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Normally, it would make sense to put Brown on the roster and hope he can give you something in later rounds.

This season is different though. With Rasho and Tim hurting, the Spurs risk not having a very deep roster if either gets hurt. If either player is forced to play limited minutes and Brown can't play, you've effectively whittled your roster down to nine or ten. It's been claimed time and time again that Manu can't play more than 32 minutes per game and be effective, and if that's true, it just complicates things more. And Robinson may or may not be able to play 20 or more quality minutes per game. So almost half of your roster is coming off a greater-than-minor injury or is limited in the number of minutes they can play.

I'm a little concerned about that. The Spurs will need their best players to be healthy if they are going to win, but I worry about their ability to overcome even a minor injury to a starter or a major injury to a bench player.

If Pop has confidence in Beno, I think it's probably best to include Brown on the roster though. But Pop has to actually play him so Tony doesn't get exhausted. And he's got to give Barry and Robinson important minutes. And he has to be prepared for Massenburg and Nazr to play big minutes if needed.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
I do not think any other team is even a little bit worried about their 12th man on the roster.

This speaks well of our depth.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I do not think any other team is even a little bit worried about their 12th man on the roster.

This speaks well of our depth.

Well, yes. In the end, it will be a hard choice of who the 12th man is, but we should count ourselves lucky that we have such a hard choice to make...

spurster
04-17-2005, 07:36 PM
I can't see Marks making the playoff roster. That would be 6 bigs on a team that plays small a significant amount of the time.

I wish we could talk about LJ III on the playoff roster. I wish Pop would given him a few more minutes to see if he would turn around.

HB22inSA
04-17-2005, 09:07 PM
My playoff roster:

Duncan
Ginobili
Parker
Bowen
Nesterovic
Horry
Massenburg
Robinson
Udrih
Nazr
Barry
Marks

Your top 8 will get most of the minutes anyway, so why risk bringing Devin in? At least you have that extra body this way.

baseline bum
04-17-2005, 09:52 PM
If Duncan reaggrevates the injury it's over anyways. If Rasho gets hurt again, Mohammed gets more minutes. Devin Brown in an NBA-level player. Sean Marks is not. Marks can't shoot, and he's not a banger. I am way more comfortable with Massenburg in the game than I am with Marks. At least TMass has a mean streak and loves to play physically. Unless it's 60% or more that Brown can't go period you have to put him on the roster.

HB22inSA
04-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Unless it's 60% or more that Brown can't go period you have to put him on the roster.

No way. The risk greatly outweighs the reward.

Your money players (Tim, Manu, Tony, Bowen) will make the plays in the playoffs that matter.

whottt
04-17-2005, 11:27 PM
I've been on the fence on this for a while...I don't want Wilks on the playoff roster, if he has to be the difference in a series then we aint winning a series.

So it's Marks VS Devin Brown for me...with Marks, when he was outplaying Nazr I wanted him...now that he doesn't seem to be...and since we signed Big Dogg who has the J we wanted Marks to have...I just don't know.

I can see the aruments for wanting protection against Duncan and Rasho's ankles...but...

Devin requires some thought now....

If Parker has to miss a game Beno can sub and we can still win.
If Manu has to miss a game Barry can sub and we can still win.
If Duncan has to miss a game...well Big Dog with his A game and Nazr and Rasho havign good games have a long shot chance of pulling it off...Big Dog has drawn double teams before.
If Rasho has to miss a game Nazr or Horry can sub and we can still win...

We may not win a series or anything using that forumula but we can win a game on our home court...

But if Bruce Bowen misses a game, who subs for him in his role as lockdown defender? Who do we put on Ray Allen or Melo? Or Dwayne Wade?

Manu maybe, but Manu gets worn down enough as it is to also be asked to be our lockdown guy...we need his offense...it's what he's best at.

The only guy on the team capable of spelling Bowen off the bench is Devin Brown...and he shoots threes well when he is gets time to shoot and is left open...

On top of that Brown acts as the PF in our small ball line up...I don't think that's as much of an important role now that we have Big Dogg...but that back up lockdown defender guy...no one can do that except Devin.

It's a real difficult choice...I don't know which I choose yet and I still have to think it over.

I don't think we have to worry about Devin's health...if there is a risk to him he won't be on the playoff roster and he definitely won't make it into a game.

HB22inSA
04-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Whottt, you're right, Devin can do all of those things (defend, shoot) when completely healthy.

How do you know his shot hasn't suffered from the injury?

Will his defense be as good? And for how long?

Rummpd
04-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Let the doctors on the staff make the call, no risk furher injury on the roster otherwise not worth risk at all.

baseline bum
04-18-2005, 12:26 AM
What's the risk, HB22? Not having Gene Wilder missing wide open baseline jumpers? If you mean the risk is Brown getting hurt that's different. Obviously you don't play him if there's a shot he gets seriously hurt.

Still, Devin's not the franchise. You just don't get that many chances to play for a title, and if he can go he should. I'm sure he would want to play also. As a role player he's probably not going to have that many shots at a ring, so no way he passes up this chance to win a title.

HB22inSA
04-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Baseline, I know where you're coming from, and I'd love to have Devin on the roster, but 100% healthy.

That just won't happen this year.

Like I said before, backs are different than knees and ankles, and you have to look at the big picture.

The Spurs can easily win the title without Devin this year, but may need him in the years to come to accomplish that same goal.

So why risk a career threatening injury when you can comfortably sit him out this year and make sure his back heals properly?

baseline bum
04-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Devin Brown probably will not be on the Spurs in 2 years. Role players are pretty expendable when a team is building its roster in the summer, and Devin will always be a bench guy. I don't care if he's 100%. If he's 70% he's a way better option than a useless player like Marks. If it's determined that there's a good risk he causes himself serious career-threatening injury by all means make him sit out and recover for next season. However, there's no reason to err too far on the side of caution because Brown isn't one of the team's cornerstones (Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker).

This team needs all the help it can get to win a title, and Brown has proved this season that he can help this team. Marks never really has.

Wilks has to be on the playoff roster because he's the team's best defensive point guard. He could prove useful for 3 or 4 minutes of game time while Parker rests if Beno is getting torched.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Your logic is circular. First you say "there's no reason to err on the side of caution" because he's not a team cornerstone. I agree.

Then you say a team needs all the help it can to win a title. I also agree. So, how does Brown sitting on the bench or at 70% (?!?) help our chances?

Besides, you can't have both Wilks and Brown. So decide, who is off the Roster?

whottt
04-18-2005, 09:55 AM
I think base doesn't like Big Dogg, at all, and probably doesn't want him on the playoff roster.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I think base doesn't like Big Dogg, at all, and probably doesn't want him on the playoff roster.

Oh, no, Base, say it's not true! You would take Wilks or an injured Brown over the Big Dog?!?

Sorry, but speaking of players we need, we NEED Robinson. Besides, NO WAY is Glenn off the roster, so your scenario would never happen.

Realistically, who would you take, Devin or Wilks?

baseline bum
04-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Yes, I don't think Robinson deserves a spot on the playoff roster. He's a 'shooter' who can't shoot, much like Steve Smith was.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Well, thank goodness the coaches don't share your opinion.

Honestly, Wilks over Robinson... :nope

I know his FG% could use improvement, but his 3 pt is 33%, and he's avg 2.6 reb. a game (many of those games he played limited minutes).

Give Glenn a chance!

Oh, yeah, and on a team shooting horrible Free Throws, he's shooting the highest: 85.7% FT. That seals it for me.

T Park
04-18-2005, 04:21 PM
He's a 'shooter' who can't shoot, much like Steve Smith was

I disagree, hes shooting alot better right now than Steve Smith did.

Plus, he bangs, defends a little better than Smith, AND, he'll rebound and get a steal or two.

I believe I have been sayin Devin Brown is gonna be too injured to make the roster, and was told "Hes getting better though!!!"

Back Injuries are a bitch, and it takes TIME to fix it, not a couple weeks.

milkyway21
04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
BAD NEWS :angel

Kori Ellis
04-18-2005, 07:55 PM
I believe I have been sayin Devin Brown is gonna be too injured to make the roster, and was told "Hes getting better though!!!"

He is getting better, that's why he's on the trip. Otherwise he'd be home rehabbing. Glenn Robinson will make the roster no matter what, whether Devin is on it or not.

Brodels
04-18-2005, 08:00 PM
I disagree, hes shooting alot better right now than Steve Smith did.

Yeah, he's really tearing it up at 35.9% from the field. I'd have to disagree.

He has to shoot the ball better if he's going to be a benefit to this team, because shooting is the only thing he's good at doing.

whottt
04-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah, he's really tearing it up at 35.9% from the field. I'd have to disagree.

He has to shoot the ball better if he's going to be a benefit to this team, because shooting is the only thing he's good at doing.

Watching the game tonight?

Brodels
04-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Watching the game tonight?

Ah, the TPark argument.

Rasho had 16 and 12 tonight. Therefore, Rasho must be the best center in the league.

whottt
04-18-2005, 08:18 PM
No it's the "Ive seen Big Dogg at his best before and this is vintage Big Dogg" argument.

Look at his form. Look beyond the stats.

On top of that he's shooting almost exclusively from 17 feet out...go look at what the rest of the team is shooting from that range.

whottt
04-18-2005, 08:19 PM
This guy looks phenomenal for a guy that's playing his 6th or 7th game back after sitting out a year.

milkyway21
04-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Big Dog is out to prove something and the Spurs is lucky they found "that" something in him.

now they reap in the rewards

whottt
04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Just for the record Brodels...if Big Dogg scores 1 more basket he will beat Rasho's career high...in like 20 minutes of play, playing in his 8th game after a year off.

It's not a fluke.

travis2
04-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Tossing something out for consideration/thrashing...

I'm not saying this is what I'm advocating, it's just a thought...

If Devin's healthy athletic energy is needed for the playoffs...and there's a worry about ankles attached to big men...then how about leaving Johnson and Wilks off the playoff roster...and completing the non-playoff roster with Beno Udrih.

Beno is still a rookie, and has been a bit spotty since the All-Star game...great, then non-existent, then OK, then abysmal. Back-up point could be tag-teamed between Manu and Brent Barry.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
If Devin's healthy athletic energy is needed for the playoffs...and there's a worry about ankles attached to big men...then how about leaving Johnson and Wilks off the playoff roster...and completing the non-playoff roster with Beno Udrih.

Beno is still a rookie, and has been a bit spotty since the All-Star game...great, then non-existent, then OK, then abysmal. Back-up point could be tag-teamed between Manu and Brent Barry.

I think they'd still want a real backup point guard available.

No matter what, the Spurs don't need six bigs on the playoff roster. So I think it's an easy choice that Marks would be the odd man out.

MadDog73
04-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Agreed. The fact that Pop did not play Marks much again last night makes me think that Johnson and Marks are out.

I suspect the decision is between Devin and Wilks. And that's a tough call...

bigbendbruisebrother
04-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Devin Brown probably will not be on the Spurs in 2 years. Role players are pretty expendable when a team is building its roster in the summer, and Devin will always be a bench guy. I don't care if he's 100%. If he's 70% he's a way better option than a useless player like Marks.

Baseline,

Devin's back injury has led to a weakening of his left quad and hamstring. His knee is seriously at risk if he comes back too soon. There is no sense trashing a guy's career that wants nothing more than be a Spur.

Secondly, Sean Marks plays good defense and doesn't get in the way on offense. He's a deep bench player that can let the other bigs (all of whom are suffering from nagging injuries) rest.

Devin is not the make or break guy for a title.

boutons
04-19-2005, 01:49 PM
And Sean is great entertainment and comic relief for the other Spurs when they throw him alley-oop passes! :lol

For his limited minutes, Sean seems to manage to try an alley-oop move every game.

MannyIsGod
04-19-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't understand the dilema surrounding this decision.

I have loved Mark's play just as much, if not more, than the next guy, but there is no way to justify his pressence on the squad in the post season. If Tim Duncan reinjures that ankle, Marks is not going to save the Spurs or even buy them time for him to get healthy. At one point, he was definetly out playing Nazr, but Nazr turned it around and has gone light years ahead of Marks in the rotation.

Even if Devin is going to be out for a couple of weeks more, you put him on the roster. He is the type of player that can effect a game when he comes off the bench moreso than Marks.

Basicly, it boils down to this. I think Devin can eventually contribute much more than Marks could ever hope to on this team. In addition to that, I don't think leaving Marks off the roster in any ways hurts the Spurs chances for a ring. There is simply too much upside to adding Devin and not enough of a downside to keeping Marks off to justify any other decision.

waly.mg
04-19-2005, 04:24 PM
The team need to select to the playoff roster the player who can play in big shape in the playoffs

The team needs players of first level in the Rosters

i don´t seem to me neither Marks, nor Wilks players able to change the destiny of a game but If they seem to me Robinson and the Browns able to do it

MadDog73
04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
So, it's Johnson, Marks and Wilks off the roster then?

waly.mg
04-19-2005, 04:29 PM
My Roster is:

Parker-Manu-BB-TD-Nazr

Rasho-T-Mass-Udrih-Horry-Barry-Brown-Robinson

Kori Ellis
04-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Congratulations on the new baby, Waly-mg.

Jimcs50
04-19-2005, 04:34 PM
This is a bunch of crap, this only have 12 men on the roster in the playoffs.

It makes the caoch decide who will feel like an outcast, and take away his being part of the championship run.

Also it makes the coach predict on who will be injured and who will not.

Why not do it like reg season and allow a player to come off injury list after 5 games on it?

MadDog73
04-19-2005, 04:34 PM
My Roster is:

Parker-Manu-BB-TD-Nazr

Rasho-T-Mass-Udrih-Horry-Barry-Brown-Robinson

I agree. And congrats, too!

MannyIsGod
04-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Jim, I'm with you on that.

MadDog73
04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
This is a bunch of crap, this only have 12 men on the roster in the playoffs.

It makes the caoch decide who will feel like an outcast, and take away his being part of the championship run.

Also it makes the coach predict on who will be injured and who will not.

Why not do it like reg season and allow a player to come off injury list after 5 games on it?

Yeah, I wonder what the point of it is? Is it just to keep message boards busy until the playoffs? :rolleyes

waly.mg
04-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Thank you, he will be a Spur too, may be a Spurs player

He weights aprox 11 pounds

I´m 6´3"

timvp
04-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Thank you, he will be a Spur too, may be a Spurs player

He weights aprox 11 pounds

I´m 6´3"

Make sure you teach him young to use both hands and buy him a mini-hoop ASAP.

:smokin

TMSKILZ
04-19-2005, 06:55 PM
& Waly, make sure you pratice FT's with him!

waly.mg
04-20-2005, 08:03 AM
May be, may be

I love basketball, but i´m a Golf Pro

The Kids can choice between 2 sports

spurster
04-20-2005, 08:18 AM
One reason is that the injury list is optional. A couple teams have no players on it. I believe the Suns are one of them. There are also no trades or 10-day contracts during the playoffs either.

TMSKILZ
04-20-2005, 09:46 AM
So what's the latest word/info reguarding Devin & his health?

He's going to be sorely missed if he can't make it for the playoffs. His OFF & DEF were coming along very nicely during the season. We could use him against the likes of C.Anthony, Nash, QRich, JJohnson, R.Lewis, R.Allen, TMac, Peja & D.Wade.

travis2
04-20-2005, 10:03 AM
So what's the latest word/info reguarding Devin & his health?

He's going to be sorely missed if he can't make it for the playoffs. His OFF & DEF were coming along very nicely during the season. We could use him against the likes of C.Anthony, Nash, QRich, JJohnson, R.Lewis, R.Allen, TMac, Peja & D.Wade.

According to the Ludden article this morning, he will NOT be healthy enough to play the 1st round, at least at the beginning...

travis2
04-20-2005, 10:06 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042005.1C.BKNspurs.wolves.adv.1f4cbce64.html

Devin Brown, whose right leg is still not at full strength, won't be healthy enough to play when the first round begins; the only question is whether Popovich includes him on the roster. Rasho Nesterovic, who has missed the past five games with a sprained left ankle, is closer to returning but also might not be ready for Game 1.

timvp
04-20-2005, 10:23 AM
According to the Ludden article this morning, he will NOT be healthy enough to play the 1st round, at least at the beginning...

Same boat last season. Then Pop was saying that Devin Brown was likely out until the second round.

He played in Game Two of the first round.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-20-2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042005.1C.BKNspurs.wolves.adv.1f4cbce64.html

Devin Brown, whose right leg is still not at full strength, won't be healthy enough to play when the first round begins; the only question is whether Popovich includes him on the roster. Rasho Nesterovic, who has missed the past five games with a sprained left ankle, is closer to returning but also might not be ready for Game 1.

TP said in his interview yesterday that Rasho would likely play tonight versus Minny. Maybe Pop is CIA with his own players as well.

boutons
04-20-2005, 11:25 AM
"Same boat last season."

No! Last season, Devin didn't have a herniated lumbar disc, nor were his back cramps so bad and long that his leg muscles atrophied.