PDA

View Full Version : Toros preseason game on South Padre Island Nov. 21

ChumpDumper
10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Vipers to Hold Exhibition Game and Part of Training Camp on South Padre Island

October 27, 2009

MCALLEN, TEXAS - The NBA Development League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers announced today that they are hosting the Austin Toros in an exhibition game at the South Padre Island Convention Center on Saturday, November 21 at 7:00 p.m. as part of the inaugural Vipers Beach Bash.

Admission will be $5 for most seats, with floor seats costing $10.

The Vipers will also hold two open practices at the Convention Center on Friday, November 20 from 10:00 a.m.-to-12:00 p.m. and 4-to-6:00 p.m. Admission is free.

“Among the great Vipers fans we have throughout the Rio Grande Valley, some of our most ardent fans reside in the Lower Valley, and we have worked hard to reach out to them during this past off-season. Having the Vipers host a game on South Padre Island allows us to further connect with this important part of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers community,” Vipers President Brian Michael Cooper said.

Tickets to the game can be purchased through the South Padre Island Convention Center (1-800-OKPADRE) or though the Vipers (956-972-1144) at the Pro-Shop in Uptown Plaza on N. 10th St. in McAllen.

The South Padre Island Convention Center attracts some of the top college basketball teams in the nation for their annual Thanksgiving tournament, but this will be the first time professional basketball will be played there.

“South Padre Island is very excited about hosting the Vipers in this part of the Rio Grande Valley. The Convention Center has proven to be a great site for basketball. We hope everyone joins us for this and our other fall basketball events,” South Padre Island Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Director Dan Quandt said.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/riograndevalley/spi102709.html

AA2120
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
hey! i live in mcallen! woooo!

ChumpDumper
11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Box score. (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2010900003)

I didn't go since the Toros will be playing the same team here this Friday and Saturday. Impressive overall game by Gee against a team that has a couple of forwards with NBA experience. I believe a couple of players including Roderick Riley were waived due to injury, so it's going to be a pretty small team with the exception of Jones for awhile.

benefactor
11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Looks like Jerrells had a decent game too. With Hill playing more and more 2 guard he might be worth a look as an extra point for next season depending on how he develops.

ChumpDumper
11-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Looks like Jerrells had a decent game too. With Hill playing more and more 2 guard he might be worth a look as an extra point for next season depending on how he develops.Yeah, it's cool that he looks like he was matched up against a much larger defender, but I don't know much about Garrett Temple. I'll get a fair impression this coming weekend.

Blackjack
11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Temple was a hell of a defender for LSU in his time there (locking up Redick was probably the thing most remember) and he impressed me in the little I was able to see during the Rocket's preseason; his height, unlike most collegiate players I see make the jump, actually looked greater at the NBA level. Maybe I just conditioned myself to the college kids being quite a bit smaller than their listings, though..

If Jerrells was being defended by Temple, than that was a pretty impressive performance..