PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: One terrific tune-up

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 12:51 AM
One terrific tune-up: Spurs cruise as they prep for playoffs
Web Posted: 04/17/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs have a few modest goals before the playoffs begin this week: Improve their focus; get Nazr Mohammed and Glenn Robinson better acquainted with the playbook; don't exhaust Manu Ginobili; and, not the least of which, get Tim Duncan in shape and in rhythm.

The Spurs accomplished much of that Saturday night as well as their secondary concern: Winning.

With Duncan showing enough confidence in his right ankle to attempt (unsuccessfully, albeit) an alley-oop dunk, the Spurs prepped for the playoffs by routing Memphis 97-75 at the SBC Center.

Phoenix beat Sacramento later in the evening to move within one victory — or one Spurs' loss — of securing the Western Conference's No. 1 playoff seed. Denver's loss in Houston on Saturday also significantly increased the chance the Spurs will play the Nuggets in the first round.

The Spurs are certain about this much: They will open the playoffs at the SBC Center, which, so far, has proved to be a considerable advantage.

Saturday's victory gave the Spurs a franchise-best 38-3 record at home. That's also the best in the NBA since Chicago went 39-2 and Utah went 38-3 in the 1996-97 season.

"To win the championship, you have to win on the road, too," Ginobili said. "That's what happened in (2003). We are convinced we have to do that this year, too."

Duncan was glad to be playing in the SBC Center for the first time since March 18. The sellout crowd of 18,797 gave him a warm ovation, though he still needed a while to get his ankle loose.

Duncan made only 3 of 11 shots, but he looked less and less limited the more he was on the floor. He finished with 11 points, eight rebounds and one block in 23 minutes, three more than he played in his return Wednesday.

"I still am a little tentative and a little leery of where people are around me," Duncan said. "But I think with time the confidence will come back."

Early in the third quarter, Tony Parker threw a lob that Duncan couldn't put down. Duncan landed hard on his rear after the unsuccessful dunk attempt, and coach Gregg Popovich shouted, "Tony, come on!"

"When he went for the lob, you know he's a little more confident to put himself in that position," Popovich said. "But I wish Tony wouldn't have thrown it."

Said Duncan: "I was fine. I just forgot I couldn't jump."

Mohammed started next to Duncan and finished with eight points, eight rebounds and five blocks. He had another block taken way in the third quarter when he was called for a questionable foul on Grizzlies forward Pau Gasol.

"I'm not a guy where you can just send someone down the lane and I'll block every shot," Mohammed said. "I'm not Theo Ratliff. I played with him for a while, and he's a shot-blocker. I'm a good position defender."

Robert Horry came off the bench for the first time in 13 games — the same role he will have in the playoffs — and added three of the Spurs' 12 blocks, matching their high for the season. Brent Barry and Beno Udrih, whose aggressiveness was praised by Popovich, combined to make 7 of 9 3-pointers.

They weren't the only ones shooting well. Bruce Bowen, who again merits consideration for Defensive Player of the Year, showed off his offensive skills by scoring a team-high 15 points. Parker added 10 points and 10 assists.

The Grizzlies, meanwhile, lost their fourth consecutive game to extend their hunt for the conference's eighth and final seed by at least one more day. Memphis needs either to beat the Spurs on Monday or Dallas on Wednesday, or have Minnesota lose one of its final three games — the last of which is against the Spurs — to qualify for the playoffs.

The Spurs, who had lost their two previous games to Memphis, were far from perfect. They committed 21 turnovers and had four passes deflected on a single possession.

With two games left, they will try to settle into as much of a flow as possible.

"If (getting the No. 1 seed) happens, great," Duncan said. "But if not we're ready to play whoever we have to."

thispego
04-17-2005, 12:58 AM
"I still am a little tentative and a little leery of where people are around me," Duncan said. "But I think with time the confidence will come back."
This was my main concern, every time Tims' feet left the floor I cringed. With time, the confidence will come back, for him AND me

Thanks for the article Kori

HB22inSA
04-17-2005, 01:45 AM
Tim does look a bit tentative, but not like I thought he would.

He looks pretty good to me for the type of sprain he had.

I've had 2 grade 2 sprains in my life, and it took me 6-7 weeks before I could play basketball again both times.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-17-2005, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=Kori Ellis]I'm a good position defender[QUOTE]

:lol

He was last night. Let's hope he keeps improving.

timvp
04-17-2005, 08:29 AM
I don't know why Mohammed hates being refered to as a shot-blocker. Maybe in Ghana that's an offensive term.

:smokin

ShoogarBear
04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Has Nazr ever actually been outside the US in his life?